Chapter 21

The Neighbours

Taeyeon had a good laugh at Sunmi’s place. She has momentarily forgotten about Soo Young as Woo Young filled in the void in her heart. She missed him as a friend; that’s all.

“Are you serious, Woo Young?”

“Yeah, Yubin has a hard time catching up with our bundle of joy.”

“Aww, that’s so cute. Why isn’t she here? Why didn’t you bring Little Danny along?”

“Yubin couldn’t get time off from work. But she will visit in December. She’s bringing Danny home to visit her family.”

“So how long will you be here?”

“I’m leaving in next month. I’m here for a business meeting.”

“Ah, that’s nice. You can hang out with us for a month before leaving. We’re going for a seminar in UK for 2-3 months. We’re having an invitation to be a vet with the national parks in UK.”

“Oh, cool! You’re going with Sunmi?”

“Yeah, I’m bringing her along. She’s my able partner.”

They continued their dinner. Sunmi’s fiancé was there too and he happened to be Woo Young’s best buddy. They were talking happily when Taeyeon’s phone beeped. Unfortunately, Taeyeon didn’t hear. She was too busy chatting; catching up with Woo Young.

The message was from Soo Young. He was waiting on the other side of the phone; kept staring at it. Usually, Taeyeon would take seconds to reply but now it had already been 3 minutes. There was no reply from her. Soo Young was crestfallen.

“Are you slowly forgetting about me, Taeyeon?”

Soo Young sighed and put his phone away. He put his arm over his face; covering his eyes from the light. Hyoyeon was outside with J-Hope; he wasn’t ready to mix around with them when his heart was feeling uneasy.

-

“We’ll be back later.”

Yoong and Jessica were waving goodbye at everyone. Yul looked on as his heart was feeling irked to see how Yoong intertwined his hand with Jessica; smiling and occasionally leaning forward to kiss her on her lips. And Tiffany was observing again and she was convinced – Jessica was the woman Yul had a crush on.

The couple finally left and Hyoyeon together with J-Hope decided to head out to play some basketball. They asked Soo Young but that guy was giving excuses that he was tired. So the two guys left quickly since Yul decided to accompany Tiffany instead.

“Let’s move these stuffs into your room since Jessica and Taeyeon are not in.”

“Oh, okay.”

Yul helped to move the toys he bought for Mason and even carried the bed all by himself. Tiffany was looking around her room; wondering how she should move her bed to accommodate Mason’s toys and bedding.

Yul worked silently; not saying a word. He was trying to focus even though Jessica stubbornly stood at the bottom of his heart. He wasn’t even aware that Tiffany was watching him intently. The pair worked silently; and finally Yul managed to make some room in Tiffany’s room with Mason’s bed at the corner of the room. He looked on with satisfaction.

“There, it’s all done. Are you alright with the space that you have? I mean it’s a lot smaller than before. But I decided not to disturb your mini office space.”

“You’re amazing with interior design.”

“Your room is quite big actually. It’s bigger than mine.”

“Our apartment is at the corner; I guess the rooms are much bigger.”

“Well, this looks good. Mason has his own space if he wants to play or something.”

Tiffany looked on as Yul managed a quick smile. His mood was a lot better than earlier on. Tiffany understood that moving of things made him forget about Jessica for a while. She made them some coffee and gave one mug to Yul. She sat beside him; Yul was taking a sip.

“Yul, can I ask you something?”

“Hmm?”

“Can I know about the lady you used to like?”

Yul almost spurt out his coffee. Tiffany giggled at how panicky his expression was.

“Huh?”

“You haven’t told me who she is.”

“She has someone else. I don’t think I’m going to pursue her anymore.”

“But it still hurts to see her with some other guy.”

“Yeah, it does.”

“Especially if that guy is your best buddy.”

Yul’s eyes grew wider. How did Tiffany figure it out?

“How did you know?”

“I saw your reaction whenever Jessica was near you. You were gazing at her like as though you were missing her.”

“It shows?!”

“It does. You like Jessica, Yul?”

Yul nodded. He looked away.

“Yul, can you forget her?”

“I’m trying. I mean it’s a one sided affair. She doesn’t know either.”

“You’re not planning to tell her?”

“Tiffany, she’s seeing Yoong.”

“But your heart will ache each time she’s near you.”

“It’s okay. Yoong’s happy.”

“So you’re going to sacrifice your heart for your best buddy?”

Yul smiled widely.

“Yoong’s just like a brother to me. I don’t have any intention to compete with him.”

Tiffany nodded.

“So what are you going to do now?”

“I’m going to focus on you.”

Tiffany was stunned.

“You make me feel comfortable. I know you must be wondering why I’m so enthusiastic about Mason. Tiffany, I have no idea why I’m so eager to help you. Like I’ve mentioned before, I really hate to see the fear in your eyes every time Nichkun appears in front of you.”

Yul put his mug away and turned to where Tiffany was sitting down. He went on his knees before reaching out for Tiffany’s arms. He caressed gently before speaking up.

“I may not be the man of your dreams. I may not be as good looking as Nichkun but I believe I can treat you better than he ever did. You’re not my rebound. And I’m really genuine and sincere when I said I want to make your life better.”

“But Yul, I’m a used woman.”

Yul put his finger on her lips. He looked at her; his mind was muddled up. He wasn’t too sure what his heart was feeling but it was beating rapidly. It made him felt really light and Tiffany’s eye smile was melting him in some ways.

“I don’t really care about your past. I think we shouldn’t be worrying about our past because I’m more interested in the present and our future together. I know you’re afraid; still terrified to bring Mason home but like as I promised, I’m here. I’ll always be here.”

“Yul, I know you’re a nice man. But it’s going to get complicated if my feelings grow for you further.”

Yul stared at Tiffany with his eyes wide open.

“I’m in love with you, Kwon Yul. But I’ve never confessed because you had someone else in mind. And now I’ve found out that the lady you had in mind was Jessica. I just feel uneasy.”

“Why is that so?”

“What if you’re using me to get near to her?”

Tiffany was getting suspicious. Her past relationships made her that way. She was insecure and Yul realized that Tiffany’s situation was a lot more complicated than he thought of.

“You’re suspecting me of having ulterior motives to be your friend?”

“I don’t know, Yul. My relationships were all failures. I have been hurt; been broken and tormented all the time. My perception of men is all the same. I feel like I’m losing control now.”

Yul looked on; he was feeling sorry and guilty for making Tiffany feel this way. He didn’t have any motives; he just wanted to have a friend but now Tiffany’s in love with him. He couldn’t be irresponsible anymore.

“What if I assure you that I’m sincere about being your friend?”

“You’ve proved to me but now the woman you’re in love with is Jessica.”

“I won’t lie about my feelings for Jessica. But you know she’s seeing Yoong right now. They’re happy together. And I won’t hurt my brother because of my own selfishness. Furthermore, I have to be responsible for you now, Tiffany.”

“What?”

“I made you fell in love with me.”

“And what’s the link with being responsible?”

Yul has made up his mind.

“I’ll love you instead.”

Tiffany was stunned.

“I’ll put Jessica aside and put you first.”

“That’s not necessary.”

“Let me prove it then. I’ll start with Mason.”

Tiffany was speechless. Yul was hugging her tightly; and she couldn’t fight it anymore. She broke down in Yul’s arms; the man was comforting her in his embrace.

-

Jessica could feel the tense in Yoong’s grip. He was holding her hand tightly; she could literally see his veins popping out on his arm. He was tense and definitely nervous about this visit to his mother’s place. Jessica wondered if she was making the right choice.

“Yoong, are you alright?”

“Yeah.”

“You’re so tense up, baby.”

“I’m okay.”

Yoong kept staring at the apartment buildings in front of them. Jessica looked around; Yoong was right.  The neighbourhood he grew up with were from the lower class income families. Usually one apartment would house 2-3 families but Yoong bought the whole entire apartment for his mother. They were making their way up to his mother’s apartment. Yoong’s grip was getting tighter by the minute.

“Relax, baby. Everything’s going to be okay.”

This time, the poor guy just nodded his head. He hasn’t seen his mother for the last two years. He tried to visit her but she would always chase him away. He was worried that she might do the same thing.

Finally Yoong stopped outside an apartment. He swallowed hard as he stared at the door. Jessica was beside him; watching him with worries. She could see him frowning away.

“Are you ready?”

“Give me a minute, baby.”

Jessica nodded. She gently caressed his back to encourage him to calm down. Yoong took a deep breath before turning to face his girlfriend. His eyes were full of worries and Jessica decided to check with him again.

“If you feel uneasy, we can come other time.”

“No, we’re already here. Let’s just do this and get over it soon.”

“I’ll press the bell, okay?”

Yoong nodded. Jessica gave him a soft kiss on his lips before hugging him tightly in her arms. He responded by returning a kiss on her forehead. He loves her. Jessica could feel it.

“Here we go.”

She pressed the bell and it rang. They waited for a little bit before the door was opened. Someone was standing behind the gates and she was already staring at Yoong. Yoong’s eyes were watery.

“Omma..”

“What are you doing here?”

“I’ve come to visit you.”

The woman didn’t look old at all. Jessica was surprised at youthful beauty and wondered if she had married young. But the lady was rather hostile towards Yoong.

“What did I tell you before?”

It was almost unthinkable to witness how cold Yoong’s mother was towards him. Jessica knew her boyfriend was slowly breaking down. But Yoong seemed to hang in there pretty well.

“I brought my girlfriend to visit you.”

“What? You dare to have a girlfriend despite your career?”

This was getting too much. Jessica never expected Yoong’s mother to be like this – like as though she was totally unfeeling about her own flesh and blood.

“Omma, you still cannot forgive me?”

“As long as you’re a professional boxer, you’re not my son.”

“Why, Omma? What’s wrong with my profession?”

“Your father died because of his job. If you’re going to hurt me the way your father did, then don’t be my son!”

Jessica bit her lower lip. Why was she so resentful?

“He loves his job. But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t love you. He cares for you. He dreams of you every single night and he misses you so much. Don’t you miss your son?”

Jessica couldn’t take it any longer. She was rude no doubt but she couldn’t stand the way Yoong’s mother treated him.

“You love him as well? Do you know how dangerous his job is?”

“It’s a sport. It’s a professional game. It’s not like he’s going to murder someone or he’s taking drugs or something. It’s a sport that many have learnt to appreciate. He’s a professional boxer. He’s not a criminal. Why do you have to treat him like this?”

Jessica stood in front of her man. She was squaring off with her future mother in law but she wasn’t afraid of anything. Yoong didn’t do anything wrong with his choice of career.

“You think I don’t love my son, don’t you?”

“No, I believe all mothers love their children. I just cannot stand seeing him like this.”

The lady didn’t answer. She just slammed the door. Yoong was already crying; he knew his mother would refuse to see him. Jessica felt sorry for him. She regretted dragging him here. She was about to comfort him when the door suddenly opened and the gate as well.

Both of them stared at each other before turning to the open doors.

“Come in. We’ll talk inside.”

Yoong’s mother suddenly spoke up.  Yoong was stunned.

-

Soo Young couldn’t sleep. He was alone at home. His mind was filled with Taeyeon. He didn’t expect this but it happened. Hyoyeon was right. There was no way he could avoid his feelings for Taeyeon. Soo Young finally admitted to himself that he’s missing Taeyeon.

His message was still left unanswered.  It was sent an hour ago. He was getting restless so he decided to head down to look for the boys. The younger guys were playing basketball nearby. He was making his way down; and when the moment the lift opened at the ground level; he saw Taeyeon.

And once again, she was with the same guy who fetched her earlier on. Soo Young quickly hid behind the wall.

“So, I’ll be seeing you around again?”

“Yeah, just give me a call.”

The man was helping Taeyeon with her bag. He then took out something from his pocket. It was a gift box.

“Here, this is something that I’ve promised to give you.”

“What is it?”

“Take a look.”

Taeyeon took the gift and opened it. Soo Young couldn’t see the contains but he could see Taeyeon was smiling widely with a slight blush on both of her cheeks.

“This is so beautiful!”

“You’re welcome. I hope you like it.”

Taeyeon gave a peck on the man’s cheeks and Soo Young could literally hear his heart breaking apart.

Taeyeon has moved on. Soo Young was too late. He walked away dejectedly.

-

“It took Yubin a while to look for this.”

“Thanks.”

Taeyeon was admiring the watch. It was a limited edition. Taeyeon found out from Yoong that Soo Young’s birthday is just around the corner. She wanted to get him a gift.

“Who is this lucky guy who finally caught your eye?”

Taeyeon looked up; Woo Young was staring at her.

“Are you jealous?”

“I thought I was your only guy.”

“Woo Young, we dated back in school! That was years ago!”

The man gave a cheeky grin before sticking out his tongue.

“You should know how protective Yubin can be especially when it comes to you.”

“I know. Tell her I love her okay?”

“Just her?”

“Fine, I love you too!”

Woo Young was satisfied. Taeyeon rolled her eyes and punched him gently on his shoulders.

“Whoever this guy is, he’s really lucky. When Taeyeon’s in love, she’s going to give her all to him.”

“You think he will appreciate me, Woo Young?”

“Why wouldn’t he?”

“What if he doesn’t?”

“I’ll punch him in the face.”

“He’s so gentle; why would you do that?”

Woo Young gave Taeyeon a funny look. She rolled her eyes at him.

“No, he’s not gay!”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m pretty sure about that.”

“He better treats you well. If not Yubin will find him personally.”

“Can you please tell my cousin that I’m fine?”

“I’ll do that. I have to go now. I promise Yubin I’ll call her later. I think I want to head home and wash up first before calling her.”

“Sure, I’ll see you around.”

Woo Young gave Taeyeon a tight hug before driving off.  Taeyeon turned to look at the gift in her hand.

“I hope Soo Young will like this.”

She smiled earnestly.

-