Chapter 15

The Neighbours

Taeyeon rushed the unconscious Soo Young to the nearest hospital. There were paramedics on standby and the moment they saw Taeyeon’s car, they quickly despatched the stretcher. Soo Young was quickly transported onto the stretcher and they rushed him to the emergency room. Taeyeon managed to find a car park quick and immediately parked her car. Apparently, she knew some of the paramedics at the nearby hospital. They were her university mates.

Taeyeon briefly greeted her friends before sitting outside the emergency room.  It didn’t take long. The doctor came out and Taeyeon sprinted up to him.

“How’s he?”

“His lower back is injured. He must not do heavy stuff. Other than that, he’s fine.”

“How about his head? Is there any injury?”

“He seems fine. We are putting the back brace for him now. He should be out of heavy duties for the next 3 weeks and we will see him again after that.”

“He actually stays in Seoul. Is it okay if you can refer him to the hospital there?”

“Sure, we will write a referral letter. Are you his wife?”

Taeyeon’s eyes grew larger before she shook her head.

“Then you must be his girlfriend. You seem very concerned for him.”

“Huh?”

“Just nurse him back to health, okay? He should be fine.”

The doctor didn’t give Taeyeon a chance to answer him back and just simply patted on her shoulder. He walked away quickly; leaving Taeyeon flabbergasted.

“What the hell. Does my face write I’m his girlfriend or something?”

Taeyeon shook her thoughts away when she saw the nurses pushing Soo Young on his bed out of the emergency room.

“We’re taking him to the recovery ward. He should be alright. Don’t worry so much.”

The nurses comforted Taeyeon. The lady rolled her eyes as she followed them from behind.

“Why am I related to this stupid guy?”

She mumbled softly.

-

“Jessica, are you still with me?”

Jessica was still stoned by Yoong’s last question. She didn’t know how she should reply.

“Huh?”

“Are you going to answer my question?”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t hear it.”

Yoong burrowed his eyebrows together.  He was about to open his mouth to repeat the question when Jean appeared again out of nowhere. She came in between them and pushed Jessica aside. Yoong was stunned.

“What the hell.”

“You humiliated me at the restaurant!”

“What the hell! You were the one who did that to yourself!”

Jean was about to slap Jessica again when Yoong stood in between the two girls. Jean was shocked while Jessica closed her eyes tightly. She wondered why it didn’t hurt when she could hear it loud and clear. She opened her eyes to find Yoong looking at her.

“Yoong!”

“Are you alright?”

“I’m fine but your face is red.”

“I’m alright. You don’t have to worry about me.”

Yoong suddenly felt someone pushed him away from Jessica. He turned and glared at Jean.

“Jean, what the hell are you doing?”

“Why are you being so nice to her?”

“Jean, we’re not dating anymore.”

“You said you can never forget me! You said you cannot love another woman other than me!”

“You said the same bloody thing too! But you married some man and are even pregnant with his baby! For god sake, that man loves you!”

“That man is your best friend!”

“He WAS!”

Jessica was surprised with the sudden revelation.  She could see Yoong was slowly breaking down. She stretched her hand out and held on tightly.

“He stole you from me. He knew I love you but yet he came in and took you away. You chose him over me because he was so much richer than I am!”

Jean kept her silence. Her eyes were filled with tears. She regretted. She regretted leaving Yoong for someone whom she taught was much better than him. But it was just the opposite.

“He didn’t treat me the same. He hit me, Yoong. Each time he lost the match, he would hit me. And now you’ve become a professional boxer; representing our country; he got really upset.”

“What?”

“He divorced me just few months ago. He doesn’t know I’m pregnant with his baby.”

“Did you tell him?”

“What’s the point, Yoong? He doesn’t love me anymore. He has found someone better.”

Yoong just looked on with pity. Jessica could see him wavering in front of Jean. Maybe to a certain extent, he still loves this girl. Jessica was slowly releasing her grip but to her surprise, Yoong squeezed her hand tightly. He held on strongly.

“I’m sorry, Jean. I totally sympathise with you but I’ve already found someone new. I cannot give her up for you. You’ve lost me, Jean.”

“I’m sorry, Yoong. I don’t know anyone I could turn to. My parents were angry at me for marrying him. I don’t think they will accept me home. You know how much they adore you.”

Yoong managed a soft smile. He went closer to Jean and patted on her head gently. His other hand was still holding on tightly to Jessica.

“They will accept you back. You’re their only child; their only daughter.”

“I’m afraid, Yoong.”

“I don’t mind sending you home to your parents’ place. But I can never be your man anymore. I belong to her now.”

Yoong pointed to Jessica who was panicking in her own skin. She felt extremely light headed; Yoong just declared himself as hers.

“Is she okay with it?”

Jean suddenly spoke up. Jessica turned to look at Yoong. Yoong was giving her an assuring smile so she nodded.

“I’ll follow.”

“You really want to? Don’t you have work?”

“I’m taking a day off. Let’s go and help Jean to settle her problem.”

Yoong smiled and then nodded. Jessica was obviously not letting go. If she had to follow, she would. Yoong was somehow her man now; unofficially.

-

“Let’s eat!”

Yul placed two bowls of hot piping ramen in front of himself and Tiffany. She was sitting at the dining table; she was watching Yul cooked the ramen earlier on.  Yul was busy trying to cool down Tiffany’s noodles with his chopsticks and spoon.

“What are you doing?”

“It’s too hot. I’m helping you to cool it down.”

Tiffany was amused but remained thankful. Yul then pushed the bowl towards Tiffany before gorging into his.  Tiffany was apprehensive.

“You said it’s hot.”

“Uh-huh.”

“But you’re gorging on yours!”

“I’m hungry.”

“Isn’t it hot?”

“I just burnt my tongue.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes before smacking his hands away. She pulled his bowl toward her and gave him hers.

“Eat mine. I’ll cool down this for myself.”

“But..”

“You’re hungry. I’m still fine.”

“You sure? I have already taken a bite from that bowl.”

“I’m fine with it. Go ahead and gorge it.”

Yul grinned widely before putting his heart into it. He ate heartily; leaving Tiffany amused. She was smiling at him but nevertheless ate her ramen. They ended up talking about their families; their lives and even their dreams. Yul was surprised when Tiffany told him hers.

“You wanted to be a singer?”

“Yeah, I love to sing. But my father thought it would be better if I become a lawyer. I mean my whole family are lawyers. You met Suho. He’s my step-brother. My father remarried.”

“Oh, so your older siblings are lawyers too?”

“Yes, my older brother and sister are lawyers.”

“Wow, that’s kinda boring.”

Tiffany chuckled softly. She agreed with him.

“Tell me about it. We can never have a proper understanding. Everyone will start arguing.”

“I’ll go crazy if it’s my family. Both my father and step brother are loggerheads. They keep going at each other’s throats.”

“You don’t like them?”

“No, it’s not that. I’m just fed up with them. I moved out because I don’t think I fit with my family.”

“But my father loves you.”

Yul shrugged before taking his bowl to the sink. He was done with his. He poured himself and Tiffany two glasses of orange juice. He gave one to Tiffany. He took a sip from his glass.

“Well, if they can stop fighting, that will be great. If my mom was still around, she would have yelled at them if they started arguing.”

Tiffany was looking straight at Yul. His voice fell when he mentioned his mother. Both of them had something in common.

“You lost your mother when you were a child?”

“I lost her when I was 10 years old.”

“Oh, I lost mine when I was 13.”

“Ah, I didn’t know that.”

“It’s okay. My father remarried and my step mother cares a lot about us.”

“My late mother was married before and had my step brother. Then my father married her and they got me. We’re half blood brothers but we could never see eye to eye. He’s more ambitious than I am.”

 “I can see that.”

“You met him before?”

“We did. He wanted to know about your father’s will.”

“He can do that?”

“Obviously I won’t indulge it. Your father has left us with specific instructions.”

“He can get really scary if he doesn’t get what he wants.”

“He did. He threatened us.”

Yul was horrified.

“He what?!”

“But we got him arrested.”

“He will never stop!”

“I know. But you don’t have to worry about us. I believe he doesn’t dare to do stupid things. He knows he will get into a lot of trouble if he does.”

“Tiffany, just be careful. He’s not someone to be trifled with. He will hurt you if he can!”

Tiffany nodded.

“I’m taking precautions, Yul. I’ll be fine.”

Yul gave a deep thought. He knew his brother’s witness.

“My brother hates my father but he dotes on me. I hardly get into his bad books. I’ll feel better if you allow me to take you to and fro from home to work.”

“Huh?”

“He will not hurt me. He cares about me more than anyone does. My father often tells you that my brother will harm me. But trust me; my brother will never lay his finger on me. I know him well. So let me fetch you to and fro from work.”

“But don’t you have work?”

Yul laughed.

“Have you forgotten how lax my work is? I don’t mind waking up early and sending you to work. Waking up early is good for health anyway.”

“You’re such a health conscious freak huh?”

“Soo Young hates me the most.”

The two of them laughed.

“So how? What do you think? I’ll bring drive you to work and then fetch you home.”

Tiffany nodded.

“If this makes you feel better, then it’s okay.”

“Great!”

Tiffany felt weird in her heart.

-

Taeyeon sat on the sofa; waiting for Soo Young to wake up. She was watching him as the man slept peacefully on the bed. She scrutinized his face carefully; she was surprised at how sharp his features were. His lips were full and perfect. Taeyeon subconsciously leaned closer and touched them.

“What the heck.”

She retracted her hand away and stood up immediately. Her face was red as she glared intensively at those promiscuous lips. His lips were beautiful for a guy. Suddenly Soo Young shifted in his sleep. Taeyeon quickly sat back down; waiting for him to open his eyes.

“Urgh.”

The guy was whining. Taeyeon smiled before putting her hands on his.

“Are you feeling better?”

Soo Young forced his eyes open and saw Taeyeon looking at him. Her eyes were full of concerned. He couldn’t really remember why he was there but his back was aching like mad.

“What happened?”

“A bull kicked you with its heels and you flew, remember?”

“Ah, is it dead yet? Did I get to shoot him?”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

“You didn’t even manage to press the trigger. How the hell do you think the bull can get killed?”

“Darn it. I should have just pressed it!”

Soo Young made a sudden move and then he winced immediately.

“Stop moving around. Your back is injured. They’re putting the back embrace for you. You will be out of action for the next 3 weeks.”

“No ?!”

Taeyeon was staring at him. Soo Young grinned.

“Okay, bad joke. I’m sorry.”

“You can try though. And when you’re hospitalised again, I’m going to ignore you.”

“You’re so mean!  You’re partly responsible for my condition!”

“I never asked you to have in this condition.”

“Are you jealous?”

Taeyeon’s face was completely red. This stupid guy was seriously asking for it. He was too playful.

“I’m not!”

“Okay, relax. I was just playing a fool.”

Taeyeon suddenly stood up and smacked him hard on his forehead. The guy winced.

“OW!”

“Serve you right! I’m going to fill your jug with water. Be a good boy and stay still!”

Taeyeon ran off quickly; leaving Soo Young bewildered. She was blushing like mad and Soo Young saw it. He smiled.

“Ah, she’s shy! Taeyeon’s so cute!”

The mischievous sick man was obviously enjoying this.

-

Yoong was explaining things with Jean’s parents. Jessica was sitting beside him. The old folks really adored Yoong a lot. Jessica could see from the smiles on their faces when they saw Yoong at the door. But those smiles were soon replaced with a disappointing sigh.

“Jean has made a mistake for choosing that man. She should be married to you.”

“Uncle, I don’t think Jean has expected this to happen. I’m sure she didn’t want this either.”

“Yoong, I told her I won’t give her blessings if she’s married to that man but she still went ahead.”

Jean’s father was clearly disappointed. Jean was facing down; she didn’t dare to look up. Ironically, Jessica was sitting in between Yoong and Jean. She was somehow inclined to give Jean support. Jean didn’t reject it anyway.

“Uncle, what’s done cannot be undone. Let’s not make things worse. Jean’s your daughter. I’m sure Auntie misses her.”

The old man sighed as the older lady was already tearing up. No doubt, Jean has always been their precious child; precious daughter and she’s their only flesh and blood.

“Can you bear to let her live on her own with her condition right now? You’re expecting your first grandchild too. She has divorced him. She has nobody but you now.”

Yoong was persuasive. Jean’s mother was already reaching out for Jean. Her father sighed and nodded.

“You’re always welcome home, Jean. Daddy and Mommy have never said you cannot return home.”

Jean burst into tears and ran towards her mother. The family was reunited and Yoong smiled widely. Jessica’s impression of Yoong just kept getting better. She knew this man would be the best husband any woman could have.

Suddenly Jean turned to face Jessica. She took Jessica’s hands and squeezed tightly. Jessica was surprised; Yoong was alarmed. He was already on his feet.

“Yoong’s like a child when he wants something. He’s always whining if he doesn’t get what he wants. He doesn’t eat meat when he’s in training or having competitions. He loves with all of his heart and he will never ask for anything in return. He will never scold you; in return, he allows you to put the blame on him. I took advantage of his kindness and I regretted it. If I could turn back the hands of time, I’d never leave him.”

Jessica was still looking on. But she slowly nodded her head. She understood why Jean suddenly confessed like that.

“Take good care of him, Jessica. He’s fragile if you understand him better. He may look strong on the outside but he’s a softie inside. Don’t ever let him go, Jessica. He will complete your world.”

“I’ll promise you that I’ll hold on to him.”

“Make him yours, okay?”

“Ya, I’m right here!”

“Yoong, I’m sorry for what I’ve done to you.”

“It’s okay, Jean.”

“And thank you for helping me once again.”

Yoong smiled.

“Remember to inform me when the baby’s here.”

“I will.”

Jean suddenly looked at Jessica and Yoong. She then smiled before offering them something.

“When the baby’s born, do you want to be my child’s god parents?”

“Huh? You mean the both of us?”

“Yeah, I’d be honoured if you can be my child’s god parents.”

Yoong hesitated but Jessica immediately smiled and agreed.

“I’d love to. I’m sure Yoong agrees too.”

“Jessica, are you sure about this?”

“Why not? The baby’s going to be pampered by us anyway.”

“Thanks, Jessica!”

“Yoong, how about you?”

Yoong smiled and then nodded.

“If Jessica agrees, then I cannot refuse it.”

Jean was really happy that day and the unofficial couple held hands together; not knowing what to say anymore.

-

“Oh , I forgot something.”

Tiffany was looking through her files. She decided to stay on at Yul’s studio. Yul was busy with his song-writing. Yul turned to look at her.

“What’s wrong?”

“I forgot some files that I needed for the next case.”

“Oh, it’s important?”

“Yeah, kind of.”

“Let’s go back to your office and pick it up. I can drive you there.”

“Huh? But you’re busy with your work.”

“Tiffany, I have more time to write later. Your work is more important. You have datelines. I don’t have.”

“You’re so lucky.”

Yul grinned before grabbing his car keys.

“Do you want to come back here or shall I send you home straight?”

“Nah, you can bring me back here. I like your studio. It’s comfortable and cozy. You can continue with your song-writing while I can look through my files.”

“So, if that’s the case, let’s go quickly. Are you ready?”

“Yup, let’s go then.”

Yul drove Tiffany back to her office. He even followed her up to her office. For some reason, Yul enjoyed doing stuff like this. He felt really comfortable with Tiffany.

“Noona?”

Suho was surprised to find Tiffany with Yul again. The man just smiled and Suho greeted him.

“I forgot some files. I’m leaving after this.”

“Oh okay.”

Tiffany disappeared into her office and grabbed some files. She was packing her notes and left her office quickly. She didn’t want to make Yul wait for too long. She managed to look up and saw Nichkun staring at her. Once again, her heart swayed but not for long, Yul suddenly appeared in front of her.

“Are these the files?”

“Uh, yes.”

“They look heavy. I’ll help you with them.”

Yul took the files away from Tiffany’s hands. Tiffany’s attention was momentarily shifted to Yul as he looked on; waiting for Tiffany’s reaction.

“Is there anything else?”

“Huh? Er, no. These are the files. I guess that’s about it.”

“Oh great, then shall we go?”

Yul suddenly moved closer towards Tiffany. He held out his hand; waiting for Tiffany to grab it. Tiffany was stunned at Yul’s action. She didn’t expect that. But Yul was encouraging her to take his hand and she eventually took it.

“Let’s go. Thanks Suho-shi.”

“Oh, yes. You’re welcome.”

“I’ll call you later, Suho.”

“No problem, Noona. Have fun!”

Suho was grinning away; leaving Tiffany’s cheeks blushing in red.

Yul then confidently walked away and pulled Tiffany along with him; leaving Nichkun staring at them with frustration. Tiffany was bewildered. Suddenly Yul whispered.

“Is he still watching?”

“Huh?”

“Your boss is still watching, right?”

Tiffany was staring at Yul.

“He’s the reason for your tears earlier on right?”

Tiffany was taken aback.

“I saw him staring at you the moment you entered your office. He was glaring at you; and I didn’t like the way he looked at you. I heard he was married.”

“He’s my ex-boyfriend.”

“Oh, am I overboard by doing this?”

“No, Yul. You’re not.”

“Good, I just didn’t want to see you cry anymore. I could see you were about to. So I sort of rescued you. I wanted to be a little hero for once.”

Yul shyly looked away; leaving Tiffany’s heart beating like crazy.  She just couldn’t believe what Yul had done for her.

-