Chapter 4

The Neighbours

Taeyeon was at the ranch for the whole day so she ended up sleeping over. She was too tired to drive home and the farmer who called her to check on his cattle offered her the guest room. So Taeyeon and her assistant slept overnight.

The next morning, Taeyeon decided to head home. She dropped her assistant at her place before heading home. She decided to open her clinic later in the afternoon so that her assistant could freshen herself up for a bit.

Taeyeon dragged her feet towards her front door. Her two best friends have left for work as their high heels were already gone from the shoe rack. Taeyeon dug for her keys; she couldn’t find it.

“ARGHHH! It’s in another bag and that damn bag is at my clinic!”

Taeyeon screamed inside her head. She was too tired and now she got locked out from her house. She wanted to kick the door open but she was too exhausted to do so.

“Taeyeon-shi?”

Taeyeon was startled by the sudden intrusion. She turned to her right. Yoong was in white sleeveless shirt and a pair of faded blue jeans. In another words, he looked really yummy. Taeyeon swallowed hard.

“Taeyeon-shi, are you alright?”

“Ah, Yoong-shi, good morning.”

“Yeah, good morning. Are you alright?”

“I’m fine but I got locked out from the house.”

“Oh?”

“I just got home. I was busy with work. I forgot to bring my bag home and my keys were inside.”

Yoong looked concerned. Taeyeon looked like she could die any time soon. He thought for awhile before speaking up.

“Do you need to wash up or something?”

“Yeah, I’m going back to work in the afternoon.”

“Are your roommates’ home?”

“They have left for work.”

“Well, if you don’t mind, you can shower at my place.”

Taeyeon’s eyes grew larger. Yoong wondered if he had offended her.

“I mean, if you don’t mind that is. If you mind, it’s okay. But you look you need some sleep. I’m sure you need sleep badly.”

Taeyeon unknowingly nodded her head. She was extremely exhausted.

“Your friends are at home too?”

“Yul hyung has left for work. Soo Young hyung is still sleeping. You can use my room.”

“Ah?”

“Don’t worry; I’ll be in the kitchen. There’s a bathroom attached to my room. You can have some privacy.”

“You’re so kind, Yoong-shi.”

“Well, it’s better than you standing outside your own home. Here, I’ll help you with your bag.”

Yoong grabbed Taeyeon’s bag and opened the door of his apartment for her. Taeyeon was a little embarrassed but Yoong was nice enough to accommodate her.

“Here, this is my room. I’ll get you a clean towel.”

Taeyeon’s face was crimson red when she realized she was entering a guy’s room. She was surprised at how neat and tidy Yoong’s room was. There was a punching bag right in the middle of the room. Taeyeon turned to her right – there were rows of trophies arranged neatly on the shelf. She saw one of it – “CHAMPIONSHIP 2013 – Lightweight Boxing”.

“Boxing?”

“Huh?”

“You’re a professional boxer?”

“Yeah.”

Yoong was still digging into his cupboard. He pulled out a towel which was still inside a plastic cover. He tossed it over to Taeyeon.

“It’s unused. I have many sponsors giving me towels so I just kept them inside. At last, it has been put into good use.”

“Oh, I’m sorry to bother you.”

“Nah, you can keep it if you want.”

Yoong stood behind Taeyeon; he was a head taller than Taeyeon and he was incredibly gorgeous with his two hands snucked into his back pockets of his jeans. The sleeveless t-shirt boasted his muscular biceps and perfect shoulders. Jessica would kill her if she found out that Taeyeon was in Yoong’s room.

“Erm, thanks Yoong-shi.”

“It’s not a problem. Here, the bathroom is there.”

“Yoong-shi, I don’t have any fresh change of clothes. Do you mind if you could give me t-shirt or something?”

“Oh? Hang on.”

Yoong dug into his cupboard again. He pulled out a t-shirt still wrapped in plastic. She looked up. Yoong gave it to her.

“Sponsor again?”

“Yeah, I think that’s a small size. Can you wear it?”

Taeyeon took out the shirt. It was just nice for her.

“It’s fine. Thanks, Yoong-shi.”

“I’ll leave you alone then. You can take your time.”

Yoong gave a quick smile and left the room; leaving Taeyeon alone.

“Yoong-shi is really a nice guy.”

Taeyeon mumbled softly.

-

Soo Young was rolling on his bed. He had a hard time trying to get time. Well, he hates to wake up early in the morning.

“Urghhhh~”

The muscles on his body were aching like hell. He stretched himself before sitting up on his bed. He rubbed his eyes and his hair was in dishevelled. He dragged himself out of his bed and faced the mirror. He looked like and his stomach was growling.

“Damn, I’m hungry.”

He scratched his backside and made his way out of the room. Nobody was in. Well, that was the norm. The two guys usually left early in the morning – one for his training and the other prefers to work at the studio.

He went to the bathroom and did his small business. Suddenly he realized his shampoo had finished yesterday and he has forgotten to buy.

“Looks like I have to use Yoong’s shampoo. Yul’s shampoo smells weird.”

He was half ; only wearing his boxers. He made his way to Yoong’s room with his eyes half open. He yawned as his palm reached out for the door knob. He opened it and pushed the door open. Suddenly...

“AHHHHHHHHHHH!”

Soo Young was stunned.

“YA!”

“I’M SORRY!”

He quickly closed the door. His heart almost stopped.

A lady was changing in Yoong’s room.

-

Soo Young was embarrassed and so was the lady. They were sitting in the living room. Soo Young recognized the lady. She was one of the girls who barged into their home when Soo Young made a hell of a noise on a Sunday morning.

The two of them were looking away; they were avoiding each other’s eyes. Shortly after, Yoong returned home. He was surprised to find Soo Young and Taeyeon in their living room. He noticed their faces. They looked uncomfortable.

“Hey, is everything alright?”

Taeyeon’s face turned completely red and Soo Young pulled Yoong into the kitchen. He strangled the younger guy for a while.

“Ow?”

“You didn’t tell me that she’s here!”

“You were sleeping?”

“You could have let me know!”

“Well, she’s in my room. Why would you come to my room for?”

Soo Young rolled his eyes.

“I wanted to use your shampoo.”

“That’s the reason why my shampoo has been decreasing on its own miraculously!”

“It smells good!”

“Buy it yourself!”

“Ya, this is not the time to argue about that!”

Yoong suddenly realized something.

“Wait, you entered my room just now?”

“Yes.”

“With Taeyeon-shi inside?”

Soo Young nodded.

“YA!”

Soo Young made a dumb face. And Yoong recognised that look.

“YOU SAW HER ?!”

Soo Young lunged forward and covered Yoong’s mouth with his palm.

“IT WASN’T ON PURPOSE!”

“MMMFFFF!”

“What?”

“MMMFFFF!”

Yoong pushed his hand away and smacked Soo Young’s forehead hard.

“YA! What were you thinking of?!”

“How would I know you’re hiding a woman in your room?!”

“She needs to use the bathroom because she got locked out of her house. I offered her my room so that she could have some privacy!”

“YOU COULD HAVE GIVEN ME A HEAD’S UP!”

“YOU COULD HAVE KNOCKED FIRST, RIGHT?!”

The two guys were screaming at each other.

-

“Taeyeon-shi, I apologize for Soo Young’s behaviour.”

“What? I didn’t do anything wrong!”

“Entering someone’s room without permission is already wrong!”

Soo Young sulked. He looked like a little boy who was just being reprimanded.

“It’s okay, Yoong-shi. Soo Young-shi didn’t mean it. It was partly my fault too. I forgot to lock the door.”

Soo Young turned to look at Taeyeon. He smiled awkwardly. At least the lady understood.

“But still, it’s really embarrassing for you, right?”

“It’s okay. I didn’t take it too personally.”

“I’m so sorry, Taeyeon-shi.”

Soo Young just kept quiet. He didn’t know what to say but Yoong was already nudging his arm. He turned to his best friend.

“What?”

“Apologize you jerk!”

Yoong smacked Soo Young at the back of his head; the poor guy jerked forward. He was too close to Taeyeon and the lady was clearly uncomfortable. Soo Young was apologetic but he couldn’t find the right words to say.

“It’s okay, Soo Young-shi. You don’t have to say anything.”

“Err, but it’s still wrong. I mean we’re not married.”

Yoong slapped his forehead. Taeyeon was taken aback.

“Huh?”

“I mean, it’s not right to see you when you’re not related to me at all. But I have to say something though.”

“What do you mean?”

“You really have a hot body.”

A pillow flew across the room and hit Soo Young right in his face.

-

“Let me get this right, you got locked out from our house.”

Taeyeon nodded.

“And then someone saw you at somebody else’s home?”

“He barged in without knocking.”

“Oh my dear god!”

“Is that jerk, right? Is that tall skinny jerk?!”

“Jessica, his name is Soo Young. Yes, it’s him.”

“TAEYEON! YOU’RE BEING VIOLATED!”

“Well, in a way, yes I am.”

Jessica and Tiffany were appalled but Taeyeon didn’t seem to be affected.

“And you’re fine with it?!”

“Well, I wasn’t at first but he got his desserts.”

“What do you mean?”

Taeyeon smiled widely. She recalled what happened earlier on.

“You don’t say such things to a woman like that!”

“No, I swear, she has the nicest body!”

“Choi Soo Young, you’re such a jerk!”

“Wait, let me explain! Taeyeon-shi, I mean it as a compliment! I’m not a ert! I mean, I’m really sorry for barging in without knocking! And I’ll take any responsibility if you want me to!”

Yoong and Taeyeon were staring at Soo Young. Taeyeon was amused actually. Soo Young was such a dork but Yoong was already lunging towards him.

“What kind of responsibility? Did you bed her?”

“NO I DONT!”

Taeyeon was losing her mind. The two guys were just so weird in a funny way.

“I think I’m fine. I mean it’s an accident.”

Yoong turned to look at Taeyeon.

“Are you sure? I’m really sorry for my stupid friend’s outrageous explanation.”

“Hey! I’m saying the truth!”

“Shut up!”

“Yoong-shi, I’m fine. I’m not offended.”

“Wow, you’re really one cool lady.”

Yoong stomped on his foot.

“OW!”

Soo Young was jumping up and down. Yoong knew where to crunch his bones. And Taeyeon was equally tickled by the two friends’ antics. They reminded her of her own best friends.

“Are the two of you close?”

“We met at a bar. Soo Young is a music producer.”

“Oh?”

Taeyeon was surprised.

“He plays many musical instruments. He’s musically gifted but he’s an sometimes.”

“That’s not a nice way to introduce a friend to a pretty lady.”

“Quit it before I shove the socks into your mouth just like how the pretty lady’s friend did.”

Soo Young rolled her eyes.

“Don’t compare Taeyeon-shi with that witch! Taeyeon’s way prettier!”

Taeyeon chuckled but Yoong wasn’t impressed.

“What the hell. How could you call a girl witch! And she’s her friend. Do you mind your language?”

“Taeyeon-shi is not even offended!”

“Choi Soo Young, I’ll punch you if I have to.”

Soo Young kept his mouth shut immediately. Taeyeon finally laughed.

“The two of you are so funny.”

“He likes to use violence on me!”

“That’s the only way to get him to behave.”

“Well, I’m sure both of you care for each other.”

“I do! But this stupid boy thinks I’m just a nuisance!”

“Aren’t you, hyung?”

“You’re not supposed to agree with me!”

The two of them were at it again. Taeyeon was completely entertained.

-

“KIM TAEYEON!”

“What?”

“You zoned off for the last 5 minutes. Are you horrified by that skinny tall jerk?”

“Jessica, he’s not a jerk. He’s actually nice.”

“WHAT?! HE SAW YOU !”

“He didn’t do it on purpose. Anyway, he has already offered his apologies.”

Jessica rolled her eyes.

“Buying you lunch is not the best way!”

“Let it go, Jessica. He’s really nice.”

“I think you’re being poisoned by him.”

Jessica was clearly unhappy with Soo Young. Taeyeon wondered if she should tell her that Soo Young referred her as a witch. She decided not to.

“Is everything alright now?”

Tiffany was making sure.

“Yep, we’re fine. I made him pay a lot.”

“Where did you go?”

“Lawry’s.”

“Wow, you totally ripped him off!”

Jessica seemed to approve of that.

“Well, he wasn’t stingy. He told me I made a good choice. I just feel that he doesn’t mind paying if it comes to food.”

“You seem to know him better?”

Tiffany was grinning at Taeyeon. Suddenly Jessica jumped on Taeyeon.

“WAIT!”

Jessica’s eyes were really large.

“DID YOU SAY YOU WERE AT YOONG-SHI’S ROOM?!”

“Yes, I am.”

“HE OFFERED YOUR ROOM?!”

“Yes, do you need me to repeat myself?”

“YAAAAAAAAA!”

“And mind you, he looks soo good with sleeveless t-shirt.”

“OH MY GOD! YOU!”

Jessica was jealous and Taeyeon had the most fun teasing her ex-girlfriend.

-

Soo Young was lying on his bed when Yoong came in. He jumped on the bed; causing Soo Young to jerk up immediately.

“What the hell!”

“How’s the date?”

“What date?”

“Taeyeon-shi.”

Soo Young smiled sheepishly.

“She’s nice.”

“That’s it?”

“Well, she seems kind.”

“She is. If it’s Jessica-shi, you would be sued by now.”

“Shut up with that witch. I tell you, Taeyeon-shi is 100 times better than her.”

Soo Young’s eyes were dreamy. Yoong knew that look.

“You’re taken in, aren’t you?”

“What?”

“You have those dreamy eyes; the same bloody eyes when you realized you were falling in love with Hyorin.”

“I’m not! You forgot my criteria?”

Yoong rolled his eyes.

“Yes, only girls with nice voice and who can sing well are your weakness.”

“Yeah, Hyorin has the nicest voice.”

“But she has the worst attitude towards you. Come on, hyung. She dumped you for her company chairman just because he earns 10 times more than you.”

Soo Young sighed.

“It’s just my luck. I only like girls with good voice.”

“Hyung, you’re such a dork sometimes but I really hope you’ll find someone who really cares for you and you love her as much as she does one day.”

Soo Young smiled.

“I’ll find that girl one day.”

“Good luck, hyung!”

The two guys did high-five together.

-

Yul parked his car and made his way to the lift lobby. He pressed the button and waited. The lift came and the guy went in immediately. He was browsing his phone when the lift opened and someone was at the lift. He was stunned for a second. A lady was standing outside; staring at him. No, she was glaring at him.

“Are you getting out or staying in?”

Yul was paralyzed to the ground; he couldn’t respond.

“Are you deaf or something?”

“Huh?”

“I’m asking; are you getting in or out?”

“Uh, out.”

“So are you going out now?”

Yul nodded and quickly ran out of the lift. The lady went in. Yul suddenly stopped the lift from closing. The lady was a little annoyed.

“Yes?”

“Uh, nothing. Just wanted to say be careful.”

“Oh? Thanks. I’ll be fine.”

The lady finally smiled and Yul returned with a sheepish smile. The doors finally closed but Yul was still standing outside the lift. He smiled like a foolish fool.

“God, she’s so y when she’s fierce.”

Yul smiled widely.

“Jessica-shi, you’re so one of a kind.”

Yul was definitely falling in love helplessly.

-