Chapter 31

The Neighbours

“Finally, you’re waking up from your idiotic moments.”

Jessica was sarcastic. All of them were at the airport. Soo Young was going to UK to win Taeyeon’s heart back.

“I know I’m stupid. You don’t have to remind me.”

Soo Young rolled his eyes and whined at Yoong. The younger man chuckled softly. He was squashed between his girlfriend and Soo Young. He patted on Soo Young’s back instead.

“Everyone is concerned about you and Taeyeon. Just do your job and bring her home. I want to see her smile and everything.”

“I will.”

“And don’t you dare make her cry. I’ll slaughter you.”

That was Hyoyeon, the protective brother.

“You have reminded me a zillion times. I think my brain is automated now. I’m sure I won’t hurt your sister in many million years.”

“I’ll take your word for it.”

“I’ll work hard for her. I’m not letting her go this time.”

Soo Young’s determined voice was convincing enough. Soon, there was a last call for his flight and Soo Young went in. The gang looked on as Soo Young walked towards the departure hall.

“Noona, hope you’ll find your happiness soon with Soo Young.”

Hyoyeon prayed sincerely.

-

Yul sent Tiffany back to her office after sending Soo Young off. The couple was enjoying their moments together and Yul has never stopped falling in love with Tiffany. Surprisingly, Nichkun was missing in action for the past few weeks. Tiffany was told that Suzy sent him overseas.

“Where did he go?”

“He followed Suzy for her business trips.”

“I see. So my girlfriend has not been harassed lately?”

Tiffany turned to look at her boyfriend; Yul has never shown any jealousy before. She grinned.

“Were you jealous whenever Nichkun was around?”

“What do you think, baby?”

“But you look so cool and everything?”

“Well, man has to control his feelings and emotions better than women.”

“That’s such a ist remark!”

“No, it’s a fact. Anyway he didn’t do anything to you so why must I get so uptight with him?”

Tiffany was forever impressed with Yul’s level of maturity. She spontaneously pulled him into a huge embrace and Yul didn’t hesitate to wrap his arms around her tightly. The couple stared at each other with smiles on their faces. Then they shared a soft kiss.

“AHEM.”

The couple broke apart immediately and turned towards the door. Suho was grinning at them; half hiding his face behind the huge bulky file in his hands. Tiffany grimaced at the thickness of the file – that means she would have a new case and get busy.

“What’s that?”

Suho passed the file to Tiffany and the lady was stunned to see a file case reported against Yul’s father. The prosecutor team was Nichkun and his client, Kwon Jiyoung.

“Hyung?”

Yul secretly glanced down and saw his brother’s name. And he had rude shock of his life when he saw the defendant’s name – his father.

“What the hell?”

Yul tried to take the file away but Tiffany stopped him. It was her duty to keep her client’s information confidential. Yul stared at her.

“I’m sorry, Yul. This is private and confidential.”

“But that’s my father and my brother!”

“I know but I have to follow the rules and regulations as your father’s lawyer. I hope you can understand me, baby.”

Yul nodded. He understood that Tiffany was in a difficult position.  Tiffany was staring at him; she knew he was worried.

“Baby, I’ll try to see what I can tell you. But if you want to know more, you have to ask your brother.”

Yul suddenly grabbed his belongings from the sofa. He went over to his girlfriend and kissed her forehead.

“I need to go now.”

“Yul, where are you going?”

“I’m going to look for Appa. And then I’m going to look for my brother.”

“Will you be alright?”

“I’ll be fine. I’ll see you later.”

He left quickly and drove all the way to his father’s place. Yul felt like an idiot sometimes when it comes to his family. He’s the maknae in the family so they never tend to discuss things with him. And he felt that it was his fault – because he didn’t assume his responsibilities and left the house because he refuses to take over the business and never in one mind with his brother and father.

He saw his step mother was watering the plants. He parked his car outside the gate and greeted her.

“Omma.”

“Yul, you’re home!”

Yul smiled before pulling his step mother into a hug.

“Why didn’t you tell me you’re coming? I’ll cook for you if you have informed me.”

“It’s okay. I’m here to see father. Is he home?”

His step mother’s smile faded away. He knew something was not right.

“Your father is busy. Do you know your brother has issued a lawyer letter to sue him?”

“I just found out today.”

“I don’t know what your brother is thinking of, Yul. Your father’s getting old. I’m afraid he might not able to take the blow should something happen.”

“Is he in?”

“He’s inside his study room. He’s not eating well too.”

Yul nodded and patted on his step mother’s shoulders.

“I’ll look for him.”

He left her and went up to look for his father.  He quietly climbed up the stairs and stood outside his father’s study room. He hated the room – he remembered he was being punished before and locked up in this room. But that room is his father’s haven. He would hide in his room for hours if he’s in a bad mood.

Yul took a deep breath and knocked gently. He heard his father’s voice.

“Who is it?”

“Daddy, it’s me, Yul.”

“Yul? Come in, son.”

Yul opened the door and walked in. His father was resting on his sofa; rubbing the sides of his temples and his spectacles on the other hand. He looked distressed.

“Daddy, are you alright?”

“I’m okay, son. What are you doing here?”

“I heard what happened.”

“What had happen?”

“Why didn’t you tell me about the lawsuit?”

His father gave him a soft smile. He then stood up and Yul moved closer to him. He helped his father to his desk; he even gave his father a massage over his shoulders.

“I remember when you were younger; you would hide behind the door and peek in. And when I saw you, you came running in and went behind me; giving me massages like this.”

Yul nodded. Of course he remembers.

“I remember that. You said I have magic fingers.”

“You still have them.”

“Daddy, are you alright? Omma said you’ve not been eating well.”

“Yul, this lawsuit is between me and your brother. He doesn’t involve you.”

“But this is insane. Why are we having this lawsuit between our family members? What is hyung thinking?”

“He wants to take back what he thought was his.”

“What’s that?”

“His rightful post as the CEO in the company; he felt that he has the right to have this post because he took over your late mother’s shares. Her shares were adequate to let him vote in.”

“Why was the post taken away from him? Did you do this, Daddy?”

His father took out a file and gave it to Yul. Of course that guy couldn’t stand reading contracts. But he saw a letter from the authorities about embezzlement of funds.

“Embezzlement of funds?”

“He was involved. The CFO managed to find evidence against him.”

“CFO?”

“Chief Finance Officer.”

“Oh.”

“I don’t have other choice, Yul. I have to remove him and he wasn’t happy about it.”

“But this is insane. He did something wrong.”

“Well, he thought I wanted to destroy him since we’ve always been on bad terms.”

“You should have explained to him, Daddy.”

“I didn’t remove him. The Board of Directors did. I was the only one who didn’t vote him to be removed.”

“I’ll let him know!”

“He wont listen to us anymore, Yul. He was too consumed with revenge and perpetual thirst for power and money; he would do anything he likes now.”

“But we’re family! He shouldn’t do this to you! You raised him up and gave him everything he needed and wanted. What more does he want?”

“Yul, you know the reason why I allowed you to choose your own career choice?”

Yul shook his head.

“You’re not like him. You’re not shrewd and you’re definitely not the cunning type of person. You’re always smiling and having so much love in your heart that you would want to embrace everyone in your life. You can never be a CEO of a company. You’ll get eaten up so easily and I don’t want to see that happening to you.”

Yul was surprised how much his father knew him. He has never thought the old man sees him like that.

“But your brother is different. He has everything – the character; the calibre and even personality of a business man. I’m not afraid if he falls because your brother will never admit defeat. But he has always felt that I’m biased towards you because you’re my flesh and blood and he’s not.”

“I can talk to him, Daddy. Hyung will listen to me.”

“Yul, this is not about you anymore. I’ll settle with him. I need you to promise that you’ll take good care of your step mother and Seohyun.”

“Why are you talking like this? Daddy, are you alright?”

“I’m fine. I just need to promise me. Will you do that?”

“You don’t have to say, Daddy. I will look after them. But I want you to be well too. Come, let’s go out for dinner – my treat.”

His father was smiling at him.

“This is your first time.”

“Oh come on, it’s so difficult to get you out to eat with me.”

“You’re just like your later mother, Yul. You’re always so gentle and sweet to others.”

“I’ll call Seohyun to meet up with us.”

“Call Tiffany as well.”

“Huh?”

“She’s part of our family too now.”

“Oh okay, I will.”

Yul sent a message to Tiffany before helping his parents with the household chores.

-

Tiffany purposely went home to change when she saw Yuri’s message. She was going to meet his parents. Jessica was already home.

“Are you nervous?”

“Jessica, I am.”

“But you have met his father before and he’s your client.”

“Jessica, that’s the word – CLIENT. Now I’m meeting him as my boyfriend’s father.”

“So you’re already taking him as your father in law?”

“Shut up and help me!”

Jessica was laughing at her but eventually helped her poor friend. Tiffany was putting up on her make up when the door bell rang. It kept ringing.

“What the hell?”

“Who’s that?!”

“Why don’t you open up and see for yourself? I’m in a hurry.”

“Fine, fine.”

Jessica went to open the door and she rolled her eyes when she saw her sister looking so pissed.

“What’s wrong with you?”

“Seohyun unnie bailed out on me!”

“What do you mean?”

“Her brother suddenly called for a dinner meeting. She was supposed to watch movie with me tonight!”

“Krystal Jung, it’s her family. Not someone else.”

“But I’ve already bought the tickets! How can she dump on me?”

“You’re such a kid. I can follow you.”

“Where’s Yoongie oppa?”

“Yoongie oppa?”

“Chill, unnie. He’s such cutie. He doesn’t even oppose me calling him that.”

“He’s my boyfriend.”

“Unnie, your jealousy is turning you into a scary woman.”

“Shut up.”

Tiffany was rushing out of the room when she saw Krystal. The girl was whining to her.

“UNNIE! MY GIRFLRIEND DUMPED ON ME!”

“Girlfriend? Your university mate?”

“YES!”

“Why did she dump on you?”

Tiffany didn’t look at her; she asked as she was running from room to room. Krystal was staring at her.

“Why are you running around like a mad woman?”

“I cannot find my fake eyelashes.”

“Aren’t you wearing them now?”

Tiffany stopped and turned to the mirror behind her. She felt like slapping herself.

“Good grief, Tiffany Hwang!”

Krystal turned to her sister.

“She’s meeting her in laws.”

“Ooooh. She’s meeting Yul oppa’s family?”

“Yeah, he called her last minute for a dinner with his family.”

“That sounds like what happened to Seohyun.”

Krystal puffed up her cheeks in frustration. Her sister pulled her closer and knocked her forehead with her knuckles.

“Seohyun’s a good girl. She loves her family.”

“I know.”

“So stop complaining.”

“Lucky you’re here. Is Yoong oppa coming along?”

“No, he’s busy with his training. So tonight will be just me and you. Eh wait, what is your brother been up to? I hardly see him around.”

“Why don’t you ask him yourself?”

“I’ll call him later then.”

Tiffany finally had done with her make-up. The two Jung sisters were teasing her.

“Looking good, Lawyer Hwang!”

“Shut up! I’m so nervous right now!”

The two Jung sisters were laughing at the poor lady but she couldn’t bother to entertain them. She grabbed her bag and left the house. The two Jung sisters were amused.

“Okay, it’s now just you and me.”

“Right, let’s have dinner and we go watch the movie.”

“Deal!”

The Jung sisters decided to spend time together.

-

“Oppa! Unnie!”

Seohyun was thrilled when she found out her brother’s dating her role model. Tiffany hugged her and the two ladies were giggling with each other much to Yul’s confusion.

“What’s so funny?”

“It’s a girl’s thing.”

“Fine, I’m going in. Daddy and Mommy are waiting.”

“Okay.”

The two girls nodded and followed Yul from behind. Their parents were already waiting and Tiffany was shy when Yul’s step mother hugged her.

“Hi Mrs Kwon, I’m Tiffany.”

“You’re so beautiful. Our Yul is really lucky to have you.”

Yul stuck his tongue out as he beamed proudly to have a beautiful girlfriend. Even Mr Kwon agreed in agreement. They sat around and had dinner together. Tiffany had a great time and she was glad that she could communicate well with Yul’s parents and sister.

After the main course, the dessert was served. Seohyun was busy on her phone; pouting her lips as she read the messages. Tiffany noticed it and nudged her.

“What’s wrong?”

“I’m supposed to watch movie with a friend tonight. I thought I could still go but she told she’s angry at me and she’s going with her sister indeed.”

Tiffany was frowning away. The Jung sisters were going to watch movie together and Krystal Jung was whining because her crush couldn’t make it.

“Oh, and you’re upset because?”

“Well, I’m free now. And I don’t have any place to go and she’s mad at me.”

“You feel threatened by her anger?”

Seohyun’s face blushed instantly. Tiffany knew that shy look in Seohyun’s eyes. Tiffany gave her cheeky grin.

“You like her, don’t you?”

“Unnie!”

“Oh come on, you don’t have to be shy.”

“Yul oppa doesn’t know.”

“Wait, he doesn’t know but your parents know?”

“Yul oppa can be quite a pain in the . He’s too protective of me.”

Tiffany nodded and turned briefly to see her boyfriend who was having a talk with his father. His serious look on the face was such a turn on and Tiffany quickly turned away. She needed distraction. Thank god, Seohyun was there.

“Does she know?”

“Who?”

“Your crush?”

“I don’t think so because I don’t know how she feels about me. She gives different signals and I couldn’t figure out.”

“I see. Is she beautiful?”

Seohyun’s eyes sparkled. And Tiffany didn’t need to ask anymore.

“Well, drop her some hints.”

“She introduced me to her brother. She was jealous when I talked to her brother.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, and she would ignore me in school after her brother left. She’s so cute when she does that.”

“That could be a sign that she likes you too.”

Seohyun’s eyes grew larger.

“REALLY?!”

“Yes, you just need to watch her movements and her reactions. Communicate more with her brother.”

“Thanks unnie! But unnie, don’t you think I’m weird?”

“Huh? Why?”

“I like girls.”

Tiffany smiled and hugged Seohyun tightly.

“You’re special. Everyone is. Don’t worry about what others think. Your happiness matters the most.”

“Thanks unnie; you’re so nice. And beautiful too. I’m so glad Yul oppa found you.”

Tiffany’s heart was warm. The Kwons were really nice bunch of people.

-

Yul walked hand in hand with Tiffany. He sent his parents home and Seohyun back to her hostel. He finally could have some time alone with Tiffany. They were walking along the beach but Yul had too many things on his mind. He was in deep thoughts and Tiffany knew he was worried about his father.

“Are you thinking of your father?”

Yul nodded.

“Tiffany, what is it that my brother wants?”

“He’s suing your father for causing grievances to him.”

“What kind of grievances?”

Tiffany sighed. It was a ridiculous file suit. Tiffany wondered why Nichkun took up the case.

“He wanted to sue your father for making him lose his mother.”

“WHAT?!”

Yul was appalled.

“Our mother died of illness! Daddy has nothing got to do with her death!”

“Well, your brother has so called evidences that he was not fulfilling his promise to your mother and ill-treated your brother.”

“I don’t believe this!”

“Yul, calm down. Baby, please? I’ll do my best to put this lawsuit to a null. I mean, I don’t even know where to start.”

Yul was infuriated. He started to think that he should stop running away from his responsibilities as a Kwon. He turned to face Tiffany and pulled her closer.

“Baby, will you still love me if I become Kwon Yul, the CEO of Kwon Enterprise?”

Tiffany was surprised.

“Of course I will.”

“I’ve been thinking for the whole day. Maybe I’ve been staying away for too long that my family becomes like this.”

“Yul, what are you thinking of?”

Yul took a deep breath.

“I want to take over my father’s company.”

Tiffany was stunned.

“Can you help me?”

Yul was staring at her intently.

“How do you want me to help you?”

“Teach me how to be a CEO.”

Tiffany looked on blankly.

-

“I’m sorry, okay?”

“You dumped me!”

“Well, I told you my brother asked me out for dinner. He’s bringing his future wife with him. I have to meet her.”

Krystal was pouting away and Seohyun was so tempted to kiss her lips. She refrained herself.

“Fine, then.”

“Let’s go watch tomorrow.”

“I’ve already watched with my sister.”

“We can watch other movies.”

“No need, I don’t want to.”

“What?”

“I can watch with you. I don’t mind watching with you again and again; just as long as it’s with you.”

Seohyun was taken aback with Krystal’s sudden revelation. Once again, Krystal was giving her different signals and Seohyun couldn’t react to them accordingly.

“O—oh okay.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow! Good night unnie!”

Krystal gave a quick peck on her cheeks and ran away; leaving Seohyun even more confused than before.

-