Chapter 27

The Neighbours

“Why is there a kitten in the bathroom while I’m bathing?”

Yul was shocked to find a kitten mewing away while he was bathing . He quickly ran out with his towel and his body was still leathered with soap foam. Yoong quickly got up on his feet and ran towards the bathroom. The kittens slowly made their entrance one at a time. The boys were surprised.

“Why are there kittens in our bathroom?”

“How would I know?”

“Is Soo Young home?”

They were about to raid his room when the man in question appeared at their front door. He was carrying so many things in his hands – all of them were kitty’s stuff.

“Wow, you seem busy.”

Yoong helped him with the stuff.

“I went out to buy some stuff.”

He looked up to find Yul looking at him.

“Looking y there, brother. Are you doing a catwalk with the towel?”

“I’m almost slipped and die.”

“Why wouldn’t you? You’re filled with foam.”

“Did you bring these kittens home?”

Soo Young finally saw his babies crawling around Yul; they were probably hungry.

“Why are they there?”

“They were in the bathroom. You took them home?”

“Well, I stumbled on them while going to work. Their mother was sick so I brought them to Taeyeon’s clinic.”

“And you decided to be a good Daddy and bring them home?”

“Their mother is not capable of taking care of them. So I volunteered.”

“Ah, I see. So now Dr Kim asks you anything, you’ll do willingly?”

Yul was using his teasing voice; Yoong was grinning away. The two boys knew. Their girlfriends told them about Taeyeon’s feelings.

“What?”

“How do you find Taeyeon, Soo Young?”

Soo Young narrowed his eyes at the two guys. Hyoyeon and J-Hope weren’t home. They were outside so the house was left with the 3 best friends.

“What are you talking about?”

“Ya, I’m sure you know what we’re referring to.”

Soo Young rolled his eyes. Honestly, Soo Young couldn’t make up his mind. He was confused with his own feelings. Once again, he was being a jerk.

“I know what you are talking about but why suddenly mentioning Taeyeon’s name?”

The two guys were staring blankly at him.

“You’re aware that Taeyeon likes you, right?”

“Yeah, Hyoyeon told you before isn’t it? I’ve already asked him.”

“Yes, I’m aware but I don’t like her that way.”

Yul and Yoong were staring at each other.

“Are you sure, Soo Young?”

Yoong was unconvinced.

“I like her as a friend but not in romantic sense. I mean, she’s not my ideal type of girl.”

“Are you ing kidding me?”

Yul was surprised.

“Is this about your girl must have a nice voice that kind of standard?”

“Yoong, you know me well.”

“How the are you going to find a girl with such criteria?”

“It’s part of my job.”

“That’s utter bull!”

“And Taeyeon’s too nice. You know me. I’m such a ing jerk. I don’t think she can handle a man like me.”

“What the hell was that?”

“Hyung, what are you talking about? You are with her all the time. You cannot tell that she likes you?”

“I told you so many times. Taeyeon is not my type of girl. She will never be happy being with me.”

“Do you need to have an ideal girl that you can be happy with your life and relationship?”

The argument was heating up. Yul was obliviously couldn’t apprehend Soo Young’s philosophy on love. Soo Young was undeniably the biggest jerk Yul has ever met.

“I know you have found your right girl. But it’s not the same for everyone. You didn’t fall in love with Tiffany in the first place. You liked Jessica first!”

Yul was bursting mad while Yoong was taken aback. Soo Young knew he had made a big mistake. He unknowingly let the cat out of the bag.

“What?!”

“Yoong, don’t listen to him.”

“Yul, I think you have to be honest with Yoong.”

“What was that for? Are you taking me down with you?”

“Wait, what’s with Yul hyung and Jessica?”

“Jessica was the one who he fell for.”

Yoong turned to look at Yul who was desperately trying to steer away from trouble. Soo Young was getting him in and it was really crazy at the point.

“Hyung, is that true?”

“Yoong, does it matter? You’re with Jessica right now.”

“But hyung, she’s the first girl you fell in love with!”

“She WAS. I’m in love with Tiffany right now.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I don’t see a reason why I should say it out. Jessica loves you. She has never looked at my way. It was always you, Yoong.”

Yoong was perplexed. Soo Young was completely regretting this.

“This is crazy.”

“It’s not. Look, whatever happened in the past has already gone by. Tiffany came into my life; swept me away and I’m in love with her ever since.”

“Are you sure, hyung?”

“Yoong, you know how I feel about our brotherhood, right? You know I’ll do anything to see you happy, right?”

“That’s exactly how I feel too. If I know you like Jessica, I’ll never confess to her.”

“Wait, what? Are you insane? You would give Jessica up for me?”

“You guys do really care for each other.”

“Shut up, Soo Young! You were the cause of this huge mess!”

“I won’t blurt it out if you didn’t corner me about Taeyeon!”

Yoong was staring at his two best friends.

“Hang on, let’s talk about Soo Young hyung first.”

“What’s there to talk about?”

“Hyung, are you sure you don’t have any feelings towards Taeyeon?”

“No.”

“He’s just denying everything.”

“Look, I’ve enough of this. I know myself well. Taeyeon deserves someone better. You know how I’m like. I don’t like to be tied down so easily. Taeyeon looks like someone who needs a guy who can love her well. I’m not that type of guy. And I’ll never like Taeyeon that way. She’s not my type either!”

He then turned around and was shocked to death when he saw Jessica at the front door. She was going to throw her shoe at him but Tiffany pulled her back. But when Taeyeon came in view, Soo Young’s heart sank to the bottom pit of his heart.

She was crying.

And Soo Young knew she was broken because of him.

“You jerk! You ing jerk!”

Jessica was shouting at him. Yoong ran towards his girlfriend and Yul helped Tiffany to calm her down. But Taeyeon was still standing at the front door.

“What did Taeyeon do to deserve such treatment from you? Why is she hurting even before she could confess her heart to you?”

Tiffany was furious as well but she was more composed compared to Jessica. Jessica was extremely protective of Taeyeon so she was freaking out.

“You have made a mistake for saying Taeyeon like that. She’s the most perfect woman and I have never regretted loving her. She could make you happy. She will love you with all of her heart. You’re making the biggest mistake in your life.”

Jessica’s words were lingering in Soo Young’s ears but he could only concentrate at the lady outside of his apartment; looking forlorn and beaten. He knew he wasn’t speaking the truth from his heart but yet he lied about his feelings towards Taeyeon. He just couldn’t admit that he’s in love with her.

“It’s okay, Soo Young.”

She managed to speak up; he didn’t even say anything but his eyes were expressing guilt.

“I understand. I’m not your type of girl and I appreciate that you’re being honest with me.”

“Taeyeon, I…”

“It’s okay; I’ll get over it. We can always be friends if you want to.”

But Soo Young didn’t want to be just friends; he wanted more. And he screwed himself up now. He couldn’t take back his words anymore.

“I’m leaving for UK in 3 days’ time. I’ll teach you how to make the kittens’ milk and how to care for them properly. I’ll see you tomorrow morning. I’m tired now.”

Taeyeon didn’t wait for Soo Young to reply. She just turned around and left the house. Jessica and Tiffany ran after her. Soo Young was dying.

-

“Hyung, we need to talk.”

Yoong pulled Yul to one corner. Soo Young locked himself in the room with the kittens.

“Yoong, what do you want to talk about?”

“About your feelings for Jessica. I need to know about that.”

“Yoong, what I felt for her has been long forgotten. I’ve found the one I love now.”

“Hyung, why didn’t you tell me?”

“And do what? It’s obvious Jessica prefers you over me. Her second choice could possibly be Soo Young but not me. We don’t click at all.”

Yoong was staring ahead; he felt guilty and Yul was aware of that. He put his hand on the younger guy’s left shoulder and squeezed tightly.

“You didn’t do anything. You shouldn’t feel guilty. I found Tiffany because of Jessica. I wanted to be brave enough to get over my fear towards women. And Tiffany agreed. Yoong, what I felt for Jessica was just infatuation but I was already slowly falling in love with Tiffany.”

Yoong turned to look at Yul.

“Are you sure about this?”

“Yes, I’m really certain about this. Tiffany is the one I want to love now; for the rest of my life.”

The younger guy was relieved.

“Hyung, you’ve changed so much. You used to be so afraid of women. But now, you’re crazy over Tiffany.”

“I’m more than crazy, Yoong. I feel like protecting her for the rest of my life.”

“So I assume you’re going to marry her one day?”

Yul nodded with a smile plastered on her face.

“I’m going to marry her and raise her son just like my own. I’m going to make my family a happy one.”

Yoong smiled.

“And I promise you, hyung. I will take good care of Jessica.”

“You have to. Now I’m more worried about Taeyeon. What the hell did Soo Young said that for?”

Yoong sighed.

“I have no idea. But I think he’s in denial. He just couldn’t admit the fact that he’s in love with Taeyeon.”

“Is this because of Hyorin?”

“What do you mean?”

“He still cannot get over Hyorin, isn’t he?”

“I’m not too sure. But I’m going to talk to him when he’s calm down. Maybe we should check on our girlfriends now.”

Yul nodded and both went up to the girls’ apartment.

-

Taeyeon was busy packing her stuff. Her expression was stoic and Jessica was worried for her. Tiffany was already coaxing her to talk to them but Taeyeon just gave a soft smile. It was evident to the girls that Taeyeon was upset.

“Taeyeon ah, talk to me.”

“I’m fine, Jessica.”

“That jerk hurt you so badly. How could you say you’re fine?”

“He didn’t do anything wrong. He’s being honest with his feelings. I like that.”

“What?”

Jessica was scoffing away.

“At least he didn’t lead me on. Then I can move on from him.”

“But he doesn’t have to say things like that!”

“Jessica, I’m really alright. Anyway I’m leaving for UK for 2-3 months. This will be the best time for me to get over him.”

Tiffany nodded. She then wrapped her arms around Taeyeon’s shoulders.

“You still have us, Taeyeon. We’ll be right here for you.”

“Thanks Tiffany. I know you won’t abandon me.”

“Duh, what makes you think I would?”

“You’re hardly at home in the evening ever since you’re dating Yul.”

Taeyeon purposely pouted her lips and Tiffany hugged her tightly.

“Aww, someone’s jealous.”

“Of course I am. Jessica’s the same too.”

“Aw, I tell you what. We’ll spend the whole week with you before you leave for UK.”

“Are you serious?”

Tiffany agreed as well.

“We’ll keep you company for the whole week. We can go shopping, dinner and just do what girls normally do.”

“How about your boyfriends?”

“We’ll tell them. I’m sure Yul wouldn’t mind.”

“Yoong too! He’s going to be busy with his championships. Maybe this will give him time to concentrate while meantime, we will have our own girls’ night out!”

 Tiffany and Jessica were persuading Taeyeon and the lady relented. She needed some form of distraction anyway.

“Okay, let’s do it!”

-

“Baby, I won’t be spending time with you anymore.”

Yul frowned.

“Me and Jessica decided to spend time with Taeyeon for a week before she leaves.”

“Ah, okay then.”

He finally smiled after learning the reason. Tiffany giggled.

“You were frowning so much earlier on.”

“I thought you were mad at me because of Soo Young.”

“Why must I be mad at you? It’s Soo Young’s fault.”

“He’s our friend. So, I thought you know?”

“You’re so silly. You’re my boyfriend. You’re Kwon Yul. You’re not Choi Soo Young.”

“How would I know? Women are very faithful to their best friends. They are quite scornful, you know?”

Tiffany smiled as she her boyfriend’s face carefully. The pair was in Yul’s room. Tiffany was playing with the piano keys. Yul joined her and sat beside her.

“I haven’t been singing to you, right?”

Tiffany nodded like a child.

“Do you want me to sing for you?”

“Do you need to ask?”

“Okay, I’ll play something for you.”

Tiffany was grinning away. She moved away let Yul took over the piano. She stood beside him and Yul was smiling away. He was leisurely pressing on the keys and then stood up straight. He pulled Tiffany closer to him.

“Sit here with me.”

“Of course.”

“Are you ready?”

“Anytime, baby.”

Without hesitation, he started playing a tune. Tiffany was waiting in anticipation. Yul took a deep breath and started singing. His melodious voice soon filled the room and Tiffany was already drowning in sweetness.

[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoEWmc60wJY ]

Close your eyes
Let me tell you all the reasons why
Think you're one of a kind.
Here's to you
The one that always pulls us through
Always do what you gotta do
You're one of a kind
Thank God you're mine.

You're an angel dressed in armor
You're the fair in every fight
You're my life and my safe harbor
Where the sun sets every night
And if my love is blind
I don't want to see the light.

It's your beauty that betrays you
Your smile gives you away.
Cause you're made of strength and mercy
And my soul is yours to save
I know this much is true
When my world was dark and blue
I know the only one who rescued me was you

Close your eyes
Let me tell you all the reasons why
You're never gonna to have to cry
Because you're one of a kind
Yeah, here's to you
The one that always pulls us through
You always do what you gotta do baby
Because you're one of a kind.

When your love pours down on me
I know I'm finally free
So I tell you gratefully
Every single beat in my heart is yours to keep

So close your eyes
Let me tell you all the reasons why babe
You're never going to have to cry baby
Because you're one of a kind
Yeah, here's to you
You're the one that always pulls us through
You always do what you got to do babe
'Cause you're one of a kind.

You're the reason why I'm breathing.
With a little look my way
You're the reason that I'm feeling
It's finally safe to stay

Tiffany’s eyes were filled with tears. Yul has never failed to touch her heart with his undying confession of love. He was no doubt, the man in her life. She subconsciously reached out for his arms as he continued playing. She held her arms tightly and protectively.

When Yul was done singing, Tiffany leaped forward and kissed his lips. They shared a tender moment and their lips lingered on each other. Tiffany closed her eyes as she wrapped her arms around Yul as Yul pulled her closer.

“Tiffany…”

Yul was almost breathless.  And Tiffany was still hanging on to him possessively.

“You’re not allowed to look at other girls. Your eyes must be on me all the time. I don’t want to see any other woman lingering around you. Your hands are mine. Your lips are mine. And your hugs are only for me.”

“Wow, possessive much?”

“This is the real Tiffany Hwang. You’ve caught me and now I’m stuck to you. I’m not going to give you away; I’m never ever going to give up on us.”

Yul smiled widely and pinched the tip of her nose gently.

“I’ve never wanted to let you go. You’re the reason why I’m here with you. You’re the reason why I’m a little braver in my life. If I don’t have you, how could I carry on with my life?”

Her words touched Tiffany’s heart. She cried as she caught him in her embrace again; pulled him closer and they kissed. This time, it was a little bit longer as Tiffany refused to let him go.

-

“How’s Taeyeon?”

“She’s fine.”

Jessica’s mood was still affected by Soo Young. And she was showing her annoyance to Yoong.

“Are you still angry about Soo Young hyung?”

“That jerk can die if he wants to.”

“Baby, don’t say like that. That’s not nice.”

“He hurt Taeyeon.”

“Well he did but they’re not officially together so technically Soo Young’s not in the wrong. Maybe his choice of words was wrong.”

“Are you defending him,  Im Yoong?”

“No, I don’t have that intention. Soo Young hyung has a mind of his own. He could never think things through properly and he’s probably regretting his words. But he doesn’t mean any harm. Let me talk to him. I can convince him.”

“Whatever for?”

“Baby, I know you’re protective of Taeyeon but they are adults now. Let them settle their own problems.”

“You’re telling me to mind my own business?”

Yoong was infuriated. Clearly, Jessica was venting her anger on him because he’s somehow related to Soo Young. Jessica was just the opposite of Tiffany.

“Are we going to quarrel now?”

“Soo Young’s in the wrong but you’re saying he’s not. So you’re implying that Taeyeon’s stupid enough to get her heart broken by that jerk hyung of yours?”

“I didn’t say that. I was just…”

Yoong stopped talking. He was clearly frustrated but he couldn’t put his feelings to words. The pair was resting in Jessica’s room. Taeyeon went out to buy some food and Tiffany stayed over at Yul’s room instead. So there was nobody in the house.

“What do you want to say, Im Yoong?”

Jessica knew it was not Yoong’s fault but she couldn’t help it. She cares about Taeyeon a lot. She couldn’t stand seeing Taeyeon hiding her pain whenever she’s with her.

“Okay, I won’t say anything anymore. I shall keep quiet.”

Yoong folded his arms and sat on the sofa. He was avoiding a confrontation because he hates such situations. Jessica saw his face – and she knew she had cross over the line. She sat on the bed instead and both were silent for quite some time.

Yoong finally stood up and walked away. He left Jessica’s room and sat in the living room instead. He was furious but he was more composed and calm. He didn’t want to vent his anger on Jessica. He was actually stressed out for his upcoming competitions but he has never showed it out. Yoong just sat in silence before surrendering to fatigue. He leaned backwards and covered his eyes with the back of his palm. He fell asleep.

Moments later, Yoong woke up. He found himself lying on the sofa with a blanket over him. He looked around and realized he was sleeping in Jessica’s living room. He sat up slowly and then he heard someone calling out for him. He peered over his shoulder - Jessica was standing at the kitchen doorway.

“Baby, you’re awake.”

Yoong nodded while rubbing his temples. Jessica walked up to him with a tray filled with food. He looked at her; puzzled.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have blamed it on you. I vented my anger at you and I know I’ve gone overboard with our fight today.”

Yoong blinked his eyes a couple of times; trying to remember what happened earlier on. It finally came to his mind and he finally understood why he was sleeping there.

“It’s okay. I’m not angry anymore.”

“I’m sorry, I know you’re tired. You’re stressed out with your upcoming competitions but yet I made you angry.”

“I know you’re concerned about Taeyeon.”

“Yes I am but I shouldn’t have vented it on my boyfriend.”

Jessica pouted her lips and a grin plastered on his face. He took the tray from her and put it on the table. He then pulled his girlfriend closer and hugged her tightly from the back. He gave soft kisses on her temple and cheeks before whispering in Jessica’s ears.

“I know you’re worried about Taeyeon and I’m concerned as well. But this is their problem and they have themselves to sort things out. I’m sure Taeyeon noona understands. I’m going to knock some sense into Soo Young hyung’s head. He’s always making the wrong choices and decisions.”

“Is he that dense or is he stupid?”

“He’s stupid when it comes to relationships. It must be the way he was brought up in his family. The family’s weird and they show their love and concern differently from a normal family does. But Soo Young hyung is a good man. He’s just confused and probably broken hearted from his last relationship.”

Jessica nodded. She played with Yoong’s fingers.

“I’m sorry, baby. I love you. I promise I’ll control my temper.”

“It’s alright, sweetie. I still love you despite all that.”

“You’re pampering me too much.”

Jessica was punching gently on his chest.

“Well, I don’t pamper you; who else should I pamper?”

Jessica put her finger on his lips and silenced him with a glare.

“You’re mine, Im Yoong.”

“I know.”

“So, you shall pamper no one else except for me.”

“Yes Madam!”

The two of them shared a soft kiss with lots of love and tenderness.

-

The kittens were fast asleep and Soo Young was staring at them. Although he was staring at the kittens, but his mind was somewhere else. He couldn’t forget how Taeyeon’s sad eyes looked at him. His heart ached so tremendously.

“What the hell.”

He hissed under his breath.

“I’m such a stupid man.”

Soo Young cursed at himself.

-

Taeyeon bought some supper. She was hungry earlier on. Why wouldn’t she? She was crying so much. Suddenly she happened to walk past a stall that sells Soo Young’s favourite food. She stood there; watching the seller mixing the food together.

She pondered and wondered if she should get some for Soo Young. But then she decided not to. Soo Young was never going to accept her.

“Just forget it, Taeyeon. He’s not yours. He’ll never mean to be yours.”

She tried to convince herself to move on. She had to. She couldn’t harbour hopes on him anymore.

“Hopefully I can forget him when I’m in UK.”

She really prayed that she would.

-