Chapter 43

The Neighbours

“What the hell are you doing here?”

“Where else can I run to?”

“What are you talking about?”

“I cheated on my husband because of you.”

“I didn’t ask you to shoot my nephew.”

“GD found out about our affair!”

“So? You were the one who shot him. I told you to shoot my brother, not him.”

“How could you be so heartless?”

“Just because you’ve been sleeping with me for the last 22 years, that doesn’t mean you mean anything to me.”

“You’re using me?”

“You should know it by now, woman. I used you because you married my brother. You were unfaithful to him. It wasn’t my fault that you fell for my charm.”

“Kwon Sang Woo!”

“What? You’re feeling guilty now? Why didn’t you kill Yul as well? I thought you hate him? Your husband left everything to him but nothing to you and Seohyun.”

“Actually, Seohyun doesn’t deserve anything from him.”

“What do you mean by that? He adores his only daughter so much.”

The woman started laughing. She acted like a mad woman and Sang Woo was annoyed.

“You’re crazy.”

“I am. I’m crazy to believe in you.”

“What do you want me to do now?”

“I should have aborted Seohyun.”

“What?”

“Kwon Sang Woo, Seohyun is not your brother’s daughter.”

Kwon Sang Woo’s eyes grew larger when the woman suddenly pointed the gun at her own temple.

“I think your brother knows that Seohyun’s not his daughter. I have never slept with him.”

“Wait, you mean Seohyun’s someone else’s daughter?”

The woman pulled the trigger and Sang Woo rushed up to her. They struggled for a bit before the woman broke the truth to him.

“Seohyun is your daughter.”

She then shot herself in the head.

-

“Boss, what do you want me to do with her body?”

Kwon Sang Woo was in tremendous shock when the woman shot herself in the head. The dead woman was Seohyun’s mother; the woman Yul had been searching for.

“Give her a decent burial.”

“Boss, our boys have been arrested. The police managed to save the lawyer’s wife.”

“Damn it! Where’s that lawyer?!”

“He gave himself up. He has been arrested as well.”

“WHAT?!”

Kwon Sang Woo smashed his fist into the glass wall. Everything was falling apart. Now Sang Woo couldn’t think straight anymore.

“Let’s go to the hospital.”

“Who are we visiting?”

“My brother. I’ll end his misery tonight.”

“But the police are there. How can we get in?”

“I’ll get my friend’s help. He’s a doctor there.”

“Boss, what are you going to do with his only son?”

“I’ll kill his father in front of him. I want you to find him and tell him that I want to see him. If he refuses, tell him I’ll kill his father.”

“Yes Boss.”

“Kwon Yul, I’m not giving up on this war. That company is meant to be mine.”

Kwon Sang Woo was so blinded by power and wealth.

-

Yoong was sleeping soundly on the bed. He decided to head home with Jessica. He needed to bathe and Jessica was worried to see her boyfriend looking haggard these days. Jessica sat beside him; caressing his hair gently.

The whole incident was driving everyone crazy. Krystal managed to persuade Seohyun to return to her sister’s house. The girl wasn’t herself anymore; she was a lot quieter than before. Krystal was worried for her.

“Unnie?”

Krystal knocked on Jessica’s door. Seohyun was finally asleep after a long time. Jessica opened the door and motioned Krystal to wait outside. Krystal sat on the sofa; waiting for her sister.

“Krystal, are you alright?”

“I’m fine. I’m just worried for Seohyun.  By the way , is Yoong oppa alright?”

“Yes, where’s your brother?”

“Oppa went out with Hyoyeon oppa. They said they’re buying dinner back.”

“Okay.”

“Unnie, what’s happening?”

Krystal was still confused with what had transpired to the Kwons. She has visited them before and she felt really welcomed by the older Kwon and Mrs Kwon. But suddenly, the older Kwon struggled for his life at the hospital and Mrs Kwon was nowhere to be found.

“I have no idea too. I’m worried for your Tiffany unnie and Yul oppa too.”

“Tiffany unnie is sleeping with Mason.”

“Yeah, I know. I have checked on her earlier on.”

“Taeyeon unnie is with Soo Young oppa? Is he alright?”

“He’s fine. The doctor said the bullet didn’t destroy any tissue so they managed to pull it out quickly. He would be discharged in a couple of days.”

Krystal nodded and grabbed the remote control. She needed to calm herself down. The whole day was full of intense but it was enough for her. She was too tired to think more. Jessica made her way to the kitchen. She suddenly thought of something. She wanted to check on Yul. She walked out of her apartment and went over to the boys’ apartment.

She knocked on the door.

“Yul?”

She knocked again but there was no reply. Krystal was behind her.

“Who are you looking for?”

“Yul. Did you see him?”

Krystal shook her head.

“Call J-Hope and ask him.”

Krystal took out her phone and she was about to dial her number when her brother and Hyoyeon stepped out from the lift. They were carrying paper bags of food.

“Noona?”

“J, can you open the door? I want to check on your Yul hyung.”

“Sure, Hyoyeon hyung, do you mind?”

“Hang on.”

Hyoyeon fished out his keys and opened the door swiftly. The apartment was in darkness. Jessica ran towards Yul’s room and knocked on it. When there was still silence, Jessica opened the door. She feared Yul could have left. Her premonition was right. Yul was nowhere found in the house.

“I’ll call him.”

J took out his phone and started dialling. But the phone was turned off.

“Noona, he turned off his phone!”

“What was he doing when the two of you left?”

“He was sleeping. I checked on him a couple of times. He was sleeping soundly so I thought we could just go out for a quick one to buy everyone dinner.”

“Okay, never mind. Just don’t let Tiffany knows he’s missing. I’ll wake Yoong up.”

The two boys nodded their heads. Krystal went back to Seohyun’s room after Jessica urged her to look out for her. Jessica went into her room. Yoong was already waking up.

“Baby? Where were you?”

He asked the moment he saw Jessica stepping into her room.

“I was checking on Yul. He’s not in the house, Yoong.”

“What?”

“He left when the boys went out to buy dinner.”

“Did you call him?”

“I did but he turned his phone off.”

Yoong was perplexed. He just had a good sleep but Yul was missing. Yoong was worried.

“I’ll go and look for him.”

“Yoong, you’re tired. I’ll ask the boys.”

“I’ll go with the boys if it makes you feel better.”

Jessica bit her lower lip. She then relented.

“You stay here with Tiffany and Seohyun. We keep in touch by phone, okay?”

Jessica nodded. Yoong quickly wore his jeans and his white t-shirt. The two boys were already waiting outside. Yoong took Jessica’s keys and went off quickly. Jessica stood by the door and watched her brother, Hyoyeon and her boyfriend disappeared behind the lift door.

Her heart was worried.

“God, please protect them.”

She prayed sincerely.

-

Taeyeon was lying on the sofa. She didn’t go home. She wanted to stay near to Soo Young. Her heart almost leaped to its death when she heard Soo Young was shot. But she was relieved when the doctor told her that Soo Young’s fine. The other girls headed home but Taeyeon remained behind. She was looking after her boyfriend awhile ago but fell asleep. She wasn’t sleeping well either.

Someone quietly entered Soo Young’s ward. Taeyeon was sleeping soundly so she couldn’t hear anything. In fact, the person was silence in his movements. He walked over to Soo Young’s side and stared at the injured man intensely.

“Soo Young, I’ll make the person pay for your injury.”

He made a promise. He tapped on Soo Young’s arm gently before leaving his ward. The door was creaking and Taeyeon immediately woke up but she couldn’t see the mysterious man. The door was left open but nobody was around. She frowned.

“Was someone here?”

She wondered.

-

Yoong drove around with J-Hope and Hyoyeon. He was extremely anxious and worried for Yul. He was afraid that Yul might want to get his own revenge on his uncle for what happened. They went over to the funeral parlour. GD’s body was already buried earlier on. The police however was still lingering around. Inspector Jeong was still there.

“Mr Im, what are you doing here?”

Inspector Jeong was surprised to find Yoong running up to him.

“Did you happen to see Kwon Yul?”

“Kwon Yul? Shouldn’t he be with you?”

“He sneaked out when everybody was sleeping. He’s missing now.”

Inspector Jeong was alarmed. He should have known Kwon Yul might have something in his agenda.

“I didn’t see him but I just arrived. Let me ask my subordinates.”

Yoong nodded and Inspector Jeong called his subordinates over.  Suddenly one of his subordinates came running to him. He was holding something in his hands.

“Sir, we found this just outside the parlour.”

He handed a file and letter over to Inspector Jeong. Yoong was staring at the inspector. The man was looking at the file before flipping the letter open. The inspector took a quick glance before passing this letter to Yoong. The young man was puzzled.

“Yoong, you might want to read this.”

Yoong took the letter and started reading. His eyes grew larger. He looked up quickly.

“We need to find Kwon Yul. I’ve already dispatched some men to Kwon Sang Woo’s place.”

J-Hope and Hyoyeon were stunned when Yoong passed them the letter.

-

Dear Inspector Jeong,

This file contains Kwon Sang Woo’s evil doings and the people he has murdered. Nichkun has saved some important files at his computer in the office. You might want to seize that as well. I know Yoong and the rest might be looking for me right now. I left without informing them.

I don’t have the courage to tell them what I’m going to do. Because I know they’ll stop me. But this is about me and my uncle. I cannot let my friends get involved and get hurt unnecessarily. That man knows no fear. The person he wants is me. So I’ll go to him right now.

Should something happen to me, well I’m actually prepared to die right now, but if something really happen to me, please tell Yoong that I’m sorry. I feel sorry towards him the most because I know something that he doesn’t. I cannot face him anymore after knowing the feud between his family and mine. I felt like I’ve failed him as his brother. He has been protecting me but the actual truth was, my family was the reason why his father died. If you look through this file, you’ll understand what I meant, Inspector Jeong. Please let him know that I’m truly sorry. He would be disappointed if he finds out that his father was murdered; he didn’t die of his injuries. He was murdered by my despicable uncle and his coach, Jung Yunho.

Please inform Tiffany that I’m sorry too. I don’t know if I could live with her. I’ve caused so much trouble for her and Mason. Bringing Mason home is a mistake. She almost lost Mason because of my uncle. And I couldn’t let Mason go through this tragedy anymore. I don’t want him to remember this so I must end this with my uncle.

Soo Young is injured because of me. He wanted to save Mason and he got shot because of me. All this that happened was all because of me. Everyone protects me but I cannot protect anyone of them.

And about my brother’s murder, I know who the culprit was. There’s another letter in the file. It was a letter between my uncle and my step mother. They had an affair. And the other painful truth was – Seohyun is not my sister. She’s Kwon Sang Woo’s daughter. Please do me a favour. Do not let Seohyun know about this matter. Don’t let her know that her mother tried to kill my father but my brother was shot instead. She would be devastated. She’s innocent and once again, my uncle was the root of all the problems.

So, please drop my late step brother’s case. I’ll settle with Kwon Sang Woo myself.

I’ve had enough of him threatening my family and friends. I’ll be on the way to meet him. Please do something about his criminal acts and put him to justice. But I’m not sure if I can come out alive once I meet him.

Thanks a lot, Inspector Jeong.

Yours Sincerely,

Kwon Yul

-

“What did you say?”

“Yul’s on the way to meet Kwon Sang Woo.”

“Yoong, where are you now?”

“I’m looking for my coach.”

“Huh?”

“Jessica, there’s something I’ve found out. Yul wrote it in his letter.”

“What is it, baby?”

“My father was murdered.”

Jessica was stunned.

“Yul hyung said his uncle was the cause of my father’s death. He said Jung Yunho was involved as well. I’m going to look for him and ask myself.”

“Yoong, please. Please calm down, baby.”

“I’ll be fine.”

“Yoong, you need to come home first. I’ll go with you.”

“It’s okay, I’ve sent J-Hope and Hyoyeon home. I want them to stay with the girls. Please don’t let Tiffany or Seohyun know about this yet.”

“Yoong!”

“I love you, Jessica.”

Yoong hung up immediately and Jessica was terrified. Her hands trembled. She needed to let Yoong’s mother know about this. She quickly called her.

“Auntie!”

“Jessica? What’s wrong?”

“Yoong, Yoong has found out!”

“What did he find out?”

“He knows his father was murdered!”

“What?”

“He’s on the way to confront Jung Yunho right now!”

Yoong’s mother was petrified.

-

“Taeyeon?”

“Soo Young, you’re awake!”

Taeyeon hugged him tightly. The man just smiled in bliss. But not for long, Taeyeon smacked his forehead really hard.

“OW!”

“What did I tell you? And what did you promise me?!”

“I promise I’ll return to you. I’ve returned to you now.”

“Not with injuries! I expected you to return to me safely!”

Taeyeon’s eyes were filled with tears. Soo Young knew Taeyeon was terrified. She must have felt really scared to learn about his injury.

“I’m sorry. But I’m fine now.”

“I’d kill you if you leave me.”

“But if I’m dead, how could you kill me?”

“I’ll shoot you in the head and then I’ll shoot mine.”

Soo Young was alarmed but he flicked his finger on Taeyeon’s forehead.

“Nobody is dying. I haven’t done anything yet.”

“You’re not leaving my sight nor my side. You have to stay with me all the time.”

“Okay, I get it. Can I kiss you now?”

Taeyeon hit him in the chest but that didn’t stop Soo Young from pulling her closer. He landed his lips on hers and they kissed for the longest time. Well, not for long, Minho caught them.

“Wow, that’s the most passionate kiss I’ve ever seen.”

The couple quickly parted and Taeyeon’s face was reddened. Soo Young rolled his eyes at his -blocker brother.

“What are you doing here?”

“Am I disturbing?”

“What do you think?”

“Well I didn’t mean to but I’m here for a reason.”

“Yes, you’re a -blocker for a reason.”

Minho stuck his tongue out. Just then TOP entered the room with Soo Young’s father. Taeyeon bowed slightly and greeted them.

“Ah, my favourite daughter in law!”

Taeyeon was a little stunned while Soo Young slapped his forehead.

“Daddy!”

“What?”

He was signalling his father with his eyes; the old man smirked.

“I’m looking forward anyway.”

The Chois were disturbing Taeyeon and Soo Young was going to kill them when he got better. But they finally stopped and TOP’s face was serious.

“Soo Young, we’re not here to disturb your moment with Taeyeon but we just heard a bad news.”

Soo Young turned to look at TOP.

“Your friend, Yul had gone to meet Kwon Sang Woo by himself. I think he’s taking his revenge.”

“What?!”

“I don’t know about the details but your other friend is also somewhere; going to confront someone else.”

“Yoong?”

“Yup, I got some news that Kwon Sang Woo caused Yoong’s father’s death. Yul felt like he was responsible for it and trying to take a revenge on his uncle.”

“Are they nuts?!”

Soo Young sat up immediately. But Taeyeon tried to calm him down.

“Soo Young hyung, Daddy knows Kwon Sang Woo.”

Soo Young turned to his father. The old man nodded his head.

“He tried to make things difficult for me but I managed to shake him off.”

“Daddy, what kind of man is he?”

“He is a vicious man who would do anything to have his ways. And he has overstepped my border when he tried to harm you.”

“What are you going to do, Daddy?”

“I’ve spoken to Inspector Jeong. Apparently Yul has something against his uncle. I’ll get my lawyer friends to help Yul out.”

“What do you mean?”

“We will put that man behind bars.”

Soo Young was elated.

“But provided, Yul didn’t kill that man.”

“The police are on it?”

“Yes, they are. Me and Minho are going there too.”

“Whatever for?”

“We’re going to help Yul. He has been taking good care of you. So to us, he’s like a brother since he’s your brother too.”

Soo Young nodded. Taeyeon suddenly spoke up after hearing all this.

“I think Yul came here.”

“What?”

“I was sleeping and got awakened by the door. But nobody was around. He was here to visit you.”

“That guy is not thinking straight. And Yoong, what are these two guys doing?!”

Soo Young was perplexed.

-

Coach Jung was practicing some punches when Yoong appeared before him. The man looked up; he was puzzled to find Yoong.

“What are you doing here?”

Yoong didn’t say anything. He just went up to his coach and punched him across the face. Coach Jung fell to the floor; his mouth was bleeding as his lips tore.

“What the hell is wrong with you?!”

He was aware of Yoong’s strength. He knew because he was the one who coached the boy. But he couldn’t adhere to why Yoong was punching him.

“How dare you.”

Yoong finally spoke up. The puzzled man was still staring at him; clueless.

“You killed him!”

Jung Yunho was taken aback. Yoong didn’t wait; he pulled him by the shirt collar and punched his coach again. The man was thrown to the other side of the room. Yoong then kicked him umpteen of times but Yunho was still as skilful. He trapped Yoong with his arms and pushed him aside. He managed to kick the boy; Yoong flew against the wall with much force. The boy fell on his knees.

“What are you talking about? Are you drunk?!”

“Im Seulong.”

Jung Yunho’s eyes flickered with fear. He was terrified of that name.

“What?”

“Im Seulong, the man you killed.”

“I didn’t kill him!”

“Do you know who this man was?”

“I didn’t kill him. He wasn’t supposed to be there that night. It was due to a mistaken identity.”

“So you killed him!”

“I didn’t!”

“You killed my father!”

Jung Yunho was stunned. He finally realized something. Im Yoong, Im Seulong – how can he not realize that this boy could be related to his dead best friend?

“Im Seulong’s your father?”

“You er! Why did you kill my father?”

“You’re Seulong’s son?”

Jung Yunho’s mind twirled with confusion. He was trying to find this boy and his mother all the while. But he was informed that the mother and son have left their hometown after Im Seulong’s death. Why couldn’t he put those pieces together?

“I grew up thinking my father died of glory. He died because he loved his job. But now I found out he died because he was murdered!”

“Yoongie..”

“Don’t call me that! You’re not allowed to call me by my name anymore! I just want to know why you killed my father!”

“I didn’t mean it, Yoong. I didn’t mean to get him killed. He was a good fighter. Everybody was envious of him. He was strong. But he was winning too much and someone got annoyed.”

“That someone was Kwon Sang Woo?”

“How do you know this name?”

“Just tell me!”

“Yes, it was him. The fighter club belonged to him. I just worked for him. Your father was the only man who won against his fighters and kept winning his money. He was unhappy so he got someone to kill your father.”

“That someone was you.”

“I didn’t kill him. But I indirectly caused his death.”

“ YOU!”

Yoong got up on his feet and tried to fight Yunho. The two men were punching each other and Yoong was on the verge of madness. Yunho knew his strength but he tried not to hurt the boy that much. He let Yoong hit him. Suddenly Yoong grabbed a metal pole nearby. He was about to swing against Yunho’s head when he heard someone shouted his name.

“YOONG! STOP!”

He stopped. He was breathing heavily; Yunho was looking up at him.

“Yoong, stop. Don’t do this.”

He heard the voice again; then he felt two pair of arms enveloped him into a tight hug. He slowly turned and was standing face to face to that one woman who used to push him away.

“Omma...”

“Yoong, don’t do this. Omma’s here.”

Yoong broke down in his mother’s arms.

-

“Kwon Yul, I don’t remember you being a tough guy.”

“There are a lot of things you don’t know about me, Uncle.”

“Well, you’re still as dumb as ever. Why are you walking into the lion’s den without anyone else?”

“I’m not a coward like you who only knew how to use others to do your bid.”

Kwon Sang Woo smirked. He was calm and steady. Yul just beat the crap out of his bodyguards outside and most of them were knocked out cold. The only people left in the house were him and his uncle.

“What are you doing here? Do you think you can escape death once you step in here?”

“I told you before. I’ll get you begging me for help instead.”

“I have a gun, Kwon Yul.”

“And I have my weapons too, Kwon Sang Woo.”

“What weapons do you have?”

“I have a file full of your criminal acts. I just need to send this file to the police and you’ll be gone.”

“What files?”

Kwon Yul threw the pink file that his father has given to him. Kwon Sang Woo picked it up and flipped through. His eyes grew larger as he scanned through the documents.

“Are you scared now?”

“You came here to threaten me with this?”

Kwon Sang Woo waved the file at him.

“You know you could probably die or jail for life if you’re exposed. You’re a political figure as well but your dirty laundry will be aired and the whole nation will know who Kwon Sang Woo really is.”

“You really have guts.”

“I don’t have guts. You just planted them in me.”

Yul was determined.

“And I’m going to topple you over for what you’ve done to my family, uncle.”

Yul clenched his fists together.

-

“Mr Kwon, you need to wake up soon. Your family is falling apart. Yul’s going crazy.”

The old man remained silent.

“Mr Kwon, only you can rescue Yul. He’s going to get himself killed if you don’t wake up now!”

Still, there was silence.

“Mr Kwon, I know you love Yul the most. Please wake up and stop Yul from killing your brother.”

The old man’s fingers moved.

“Mr Kwon!”

The old man was waking up from his coma. He heard Soo Young’s words. He couldn’t bear to watch his son going against his brother. He couldn’t lose another son. He had already lost Jiyoung.

-