Chapter 32

The Neighbours

Soo Young finally reached UK. He took a cab and directed the driver to Taeyeon’s residing address. He was restless. He clenched his hands together; half nervous and half cold. It was snowing outside. The taxi drove past the town area before entering the country side. Soo Young was awed by the natural surroundings and before he knew it; he has reached his destination. He promptly paid the driver and got out from the cab. He stood outside a run-down county hotel and he started frowning away.

Nevertheless, he took a deep breath and entered the hotel which got him totally surprised with the interior design of the building. Outside looked like as though it was empty and abandoned but not on the inside – it felt like a 5 star hotel.

“Good morning Sir! How can I help you today?”

The receptionist was exceptionally friendly and outspoken. Soo Young approached him anyway.

“Hi, I’m just wondering if there’s a room available.”

“Sure do, Sir! We have rooms available but unfortunately the most expensive rooms were taken up as there’s an international conference for the veterinarians around the world held here. So we only have smaller rooms available, Sir.”

Soo Young smiled. Taeyeon’s here. He nodded and paid for the room. He then went up to his room and he was surprised at the space of his hotel room. It was extremely small unlike most hotels in Seoul but Soo Young found it comfortable. It was rather cozy too.

“Okay, Taeyeon’s staying at this hotel. Now, I have to look for her. But how do I do that? I’m sure the hotel won’t release any information.”

Soo Young thought for awhile before an idea struck him.

“That’s right! I just need to crash in during the conference!”

He needed to know the date of the conference.

-

Meanwhile, back in Korea, Yul was still thinking about his family’s mess. His brother’s lawsuit against his father was weighing down on him. He decided to look for his brother. Yul went over to his brother’s place without his father’s knowledge. His father already asked him not to but Yul couldn’t just sit around and watch his family’s mess came unfold.

Tiffany told him that his brother has his own firm which he set up and gave him the address. Yul went to look for him. His brother’s receptionist attended to him.

“Mr Kwon is busy at the moment but he wants you to wait for him. Is that alright?”

“Yes, I can wait.”

“Then follow me, Sir. He asked you to wait for me at the conference room.”

“Sure.”

Yul followed the receptionist and waited at the conference room.  He tried to keep himself compose. He needed to know why his brother was doing this. Just then, someone entered and Yul found himself standing face to face with his half brother – Kwon Ji Young.  His half brother smiled at him.

“Yul!”

“Hyung.”

The two brothers hugged each other. Taeyang was there too and Yul used to hang out with that guy before. But Taeyang was a bad influence and got into trouble in school; Yul decided to stay away from him. The two friends drifted apart.

“Kwon Yul, how are you?”

“Taeyang, what are you doing here?”

“I’m the third boss in this company.”

Yul looked at his brother who was grinning widely. They settled down around the conference table and Yul was sitting facing them. Both had that smirks on their faces and Yul felt uneasy. His brother’s smile was cocky and almost unbearable; seemed like his brother was aware of something.

“I know why you’re here, Yul. You’re going to ask me about the lawsuit against father, right?”

“Why did you do that?”

“Yul, you should know why I did that.”

“No, I don’t know why. Father has been taking good care of you. He gave you everything. He put you through school.”

“So what if he did? He still puts you first.”

“Hyung, Dad let you work at the company. But you misused the company’s funds and put him in a spot.”

“You believe what father told you?”

“I don’t understand this. You’re not the same anymore. Hyung, we used to be close. I looked up to you as my older brother. And father has always given you the best.”

“Do you think so? He has changed the CEO of the company and got rid of me.”

“He didn’t get rid of you. The Board of Directors did. He tried to help you but the BOD was determined to get you out. Hyung, why did you take the money? What happened?”

Kwon Ji Young finally stood up. He went over to the pantry side; Taeyang was just sitting there; watching them.

“Yes, I siphoned the money out of the company so that I could set my own company.”

“Why did you do that?”

“I’m trying to take back what’s supposed belong to me. I worked my off for the company but in the end, I got ousted. And your uncle Sang Woo is trying to get rid of me all this while.”

“Uncle Sang Woo?”

“And you think you can take over father’s company? Uncle Sang Woo will snatch it away from you.”

Yul was getting even more confused. Why is the corporate world so complicated? Ji Young was observing his helpless younger brother. Ji Young has never wanted to involve his younger brother into his legal fight with his step father and uncle but they forced him to.

“Yul, I’m not going to fight with you over this. I just wanted to take back what’s mine. I work hard for everything that I am now. And I’m not willing to let it go.”

“But what you’re doing is not the correct way.”

“I know but I don’t have much choice.”

“Hyung, can you just withdraw the legal suit? It’s taking a toll on father. He’s already old, hyung.”

“Tell him to give my position back.”

“Hyung, he doesn’t have much say in this!”

“Bull! He’s the main shareholder in the company! He has 50% power in making the decisions. He’s trying to brainwash you! The Kwons just want the two of us to fight against each other.”

“I’m not going to fight with you, hyung.”

“I know, that’s why I’m telling you not to get involved.”

“But he’s my father, hyung. I have to consider his health.”

“What are you trying to say, Yul?”

Yul wasn’t too sure what he should do. But he wanted to put a stop in this craziness.

“Please withdraw the legal suit. If not, I’ll get involved.”

Kwon Yul was determined.

-

Tiffany was surprised to find the older Kwon visited her in the office. The old man was full of smiles and he looked even relaxed than before.

“Mr Kwon, do you want to drink anything?”

“Tiffany, call me Uncle will do.”

“Oh.”

Tiffany was feeling awkward; she was used to calling him Mr Kwon because he’s her client.

“Uncle.”

“That’s better. I’m so glad to see Yul with you. I’m always worried for him because he couldn’t seem to get well with girls. He’s always with Yoong and Soo Young that I sometimes thought he’s gay.”

Tiffany chuckled softly. The old man was embarrassed but cleared his throat to hide it away. Suho came in with a glass of water and Tiffany sat across him. Tiffany thought he was here because of his law suit but the older Kwon had something else in mind.

“I’m not here because of the lawsuit.”

“Oh?”

“I’m here as a capacity of Yul’s father.  I need to talk to you.”

The moment Tiffany dreaded has finally came. The older Kwon was going to interrogate her about her past. She nodded.

“I was told that you have a son.”

“Yes, Uncle. I have a son. I’m a single parent.”

“This boy’s father is Nichkun?”

Tiffany nodded in embarrassment. The old man’s facial expression was stoic and serious. Tiffany was getting restless but the old man continued his interrogation.

“Tiffany, Yul’s my only son. I’ve made a promise to his mother that I’ll give the best of everything to him. That’s why I’m very concerned about Yul right now.”

“I understand, Uncle. I feel guilty sometimes when I’m with him. I mean he deserves someone better than me but Yul keeps telling me that he wants to be with me.”

The old man was smiling.

“I know. He keeps telling me that he’s not going to marry anyone but you. I told him I’m fine with him being with you.”

Tiffany was confused.

“I’m here because I wanted you to know that you’re the reason my son is spending more time with me and my wife. Yul has never returned home unless I force him to. But he has been coming home to spend time with me; he wanted so much to get his brother to withdraw the case but I don’t really about the lawsuit anymore.”

“Don’t say that, Uncle. Yul’s worried about this. He hasn’t been sleeping well.”

“I don’t care about the lawsuit. You can lose the case and I won’t blame you for it. I’m just happy that I have my son back with me. He’s more responsible and he takes good care of the people around him. You made him realize something that’s more important – family and he’s opening his heart as well. I need to thank you.”

“I didn’t do much, Uncle. Yul’s a great guy. He loves his family.”

“I know but you changed him. He’s becoming more responsible.”

“Uncle, I’m just glad that he is.”

“Tiffany, if anything happens to me, please take good care of Yul for me.”

Tiffany was frowning away.

“Uncle, what are you talking about?”

The old man chuckled.

“When are you going to bring Mason back?”

“I’m leaving on Friday to bring Mason back. All the papers are ready and he can follow me home.”

“That’s great! Bring him to meet me, Tiffany.”

“Huh?”

“He’s going to be my first grandson. I don’t really care if he’s not Yul’s flesh and blood. I know Yul’s going to be a great father if you give him a chance.”

“Uncle, is there something wrong? Why are you speaking like as though something’s going to happen to you?”

“Tiffany, just promise me that you’ll look after Yul for me.”

The old man disregarded Tiffany’s questions as he insisted that Tiffany should promise him.

“He’s going to be on his own if something happens to me. Please stay by his side, Tiffany. Look out for him; take good care of him and teach him about the corporate world. Yul’s like a baby in this crazy corporate world.”

“Uncle..”

“Just promise me, Tiffany. You’re the only person I can rely on to right now. Yul’s a good boy; I just want to see him fall in the wrong hands especially the people he trusts so much.”

Tiffany didn’t have much choice. She promised Old Man Kwon that she’d take good care of Yul. But she felt uneasy.

“What’s wrong with Uncle? Why is he behaving like this?”

Tiffany was perplexed.

-

Soo Young got the date of the conference. It would be held in 2 days time. Soo Young often spent his time at the lift lobby; with his cap covering his face but Taeyeon was not in sight. He even tried to hang out at the lounge or even at the bars or cafe in case Taeyeon would be there but Soo Young couldn’t see her.

He had been searching for two days now – he didn’t see the girl who has totally conquered his heart. Today was the same – he had his breakfast at the back of the cafe so that he could observe the whole place from where he sat. He wondered if today was going to be his lucky day – he didn’t expect anything so he just took it easy; he even could afford to read newspapers leisurely.

He was biting into his toast when he noticed a group of people entering the cafe with all smiles and even laughter. He saw four ladies and he immediately recognised one of them – Kim Taeyeon.

Today was his day. Kim Taeyeon has finally turned up and he could see the lady from where he was sitting. She looks gorgeous with her grey trench coat and she was smiling widely. Soo Young saw Sunmi as well but his smile faded when a guy came from behind – he was holding on to Taeyeon’s hand.

“What the hell.”

He cursed under his breath and his eyes were glaring at the guy for the whole time.

-

“Dr Kim, you left your hotel key card in the taxi.”

The man slipped the card into Taeyeon’s hand. Taeyeon was taken aback for second but didn’t retaliate. The foreign man suddenly realized what he did; retracted his hand immediately.

“I’m sorry. I know I shouldn’t do that.”

“No, it’s okay, Dr Henney.”

“I was raised in US so I got used with the Western lifestyle. I will remember next time.”

“It’s okay, really. I’m not offended.”

Dr Daniel Henney is a senior veterinarian. Taeyeon knew him since they studied in the same university few years ago. He was her sunbae. Although he’s half Korean, Dr Henney has never forgotten his roots and Taeyeon was the one who kept introducing him to Korean food when they used to hang out together before.

“You know what, Dr Kim? I think you’ve grown beautifully now.”

“Aish, you’re embarrassing me.”

“It’s the truth. I’m sure the other sunbaes will agree with me. I’m just surprised you’re not married yet.”

Taeyeon smiled sheepishly. Well, she was and still in love with the stupid man named Choi Soo Young but she felt that she shouldn’t indulge too much about her past. She just shrugged her shoulders and walked away. Dr Henney followed her from behind when he felt uneasy. He turned around to find a man glaring at him.

“What’s with that guy?”

He wondered to himself.

-

Sunmi was hungry so she went ahead; leaving Taeyeon with Dr Henney. She was queuing and kept mounting food on her plate when she spotted a familiar face. She caught the stranger staring at a certain direction which prompted Sunmi to turn. He was looking at Taeyeon’s direction.

“Isn’t that Soo Young oppa?”

Sunmi quietly approached him after she was satisfied with her mountain of food on her plate. She crept towards him and it was confirmed – Choi Soo Young was here; glaring at Taeyeon. Sunmi took a quick glance and noticed Taeyeon was in the company of another man – Dr Henney. She suddenly grinned to herself.

“CHOI SOO YOUNG!”

She hissed in his ears that made him jumped on the spot. He quickly turned and saw Sunmi grinning at him. He stood up but his face was still covered with his cap. Sunmi was so fast that she swiftly put her plate down and grabbed Soo Young by his collar shirt.

“Where you think you’re going?”

“Sunmi-shi, how are you?”

“What are you doing here?”

“I..I was just hanging out?”

“All the way to UK?”

Soo Young knew he was caught; Sunmi was smirking away. She knew about Taeyeon and Soo Young because Taeyeon confessed to her once.

“Fine, I’m here for Taeyeon.”

“Wow, I thought you rejected Dr Kim?”

Soo Young felt bitter. He knew he was going to bite the bitter pill as Taeyeon’s friends would try to squeeze him dry with his confession.

“I know I’m stupid.”

“Dumb.”

“I know I’m stupid and dumb.”

“And ridiculously ignorant and a complete failing jerk.”

Soo Young was rolling his eyes but Sunmi made him repeated after her.

“Fine. I know I’m a stupid, dumb, ridiculously ignorant and a failing jerk for rejecting Taeyeon.”

“I feel better now.”

“I didn’t hurt you.”

“You hurt my friend, my boss and my confidante.”

“You know her friends in Seoul have already said their piece.”

“I’m going to say mine too!”

“Oh come on, I know I’m in the wrong and I’m here to make amends.”

“Does she know you’re here?”

“No, I didn’t inform her.”

“Good.”

Soo Young started to worry if Sunmi was going to stop him from seeing Taeyeon. But the lady didn’t say anything; she just attacked her plate of food; ripping off the chicken wings into two. Soo Young was confused. What does that “good” mean?

“Good?”

“Yes, because you’re going to have to prove your love in the most fashionable manner. She has plenty of suitors in the veterinarian world. One of them is that guy with her, Dr Daniel Henney.”

“Who’s he?”

“He’s one of her sunbaes in her university. They used to hang out together. And he has not left her side ever since.”

Soo Young sulked when he saw them together.

“Does she like him?”

“You think she’s as fickle minded as you?”

“What?”

“If you have confessed and accepted her, she wouldn’t be so upset. She has been drinking so much over here and always in the company of the vets. I mean, they’re nerds but when they’re drunk; it’s the worse combination ever.”

“She goes drinking with them?”

“She’s heartbroken by you. You made her so unhappy that she couldn’t concentrate at all. Dr Daniel saw how unhappy she was so he brought her out to drink.”

“He has the hots for her?”

“Why wouldn’t he? And why wouldn’t other guys have the same thought too? She’s one hot and beautiful chick. She’s the hottest vet in Seoul. Only you’re the blind one.”

“Sunmi ah, I told you I’m sorry. I have my reasons for being stupid.”

“Well, what makes you think she will forgive you?”

Soo Young kept quiet. He hasn’t really thought things through. He just wanted to come over and get closer to Taeyeon.  He didn’t think of what he should do. He was dumbfounded when Sunmi threw him into reality.

“From the look of your stupid face, you didn’t have anything in mind or some sort of backup plan. What if she decides to go out with Dr Henney? What are you doing here for?”

“Are they really going out?”

“I don’t know but Dr Henney is a better choice.”

Soo Young was perplexed.

-

“Dr Henney, are you dating Dr Kim or something?”

“Don’t we look compatible?”

Dr Henney didn’t deny anything and Taeyeon stared at him. She was the one who corrected them.

“We’re not seeing each other. He’s just being nice.”

“Ah, so you’re trying to woo her, huh?”

Dr Henney smiled widely while Taeyeon felt uncomfortable. Honestly, she has never seen Dr Henney as someone whom she could link romantically. She decided to abandon his side.

“I’m going to look for Sunmi.”

“I can go with you.”

“No, it’s okay. I can find her myself.”

Taeyeon managed to shake him off and went to look for Sunmi. She saw her eating alone at a table. She approached her and smacked her on her back.

“Ow!”

“How dare you dumping me to Dr Henney?!”

“I didn’t. He took you away from me.”

“You could save me!”

“I’m not a knight in armour or something.”

“Thanks for being a “good” friend, Sunmi.”

“Oh come on, you’re going to have a knight in armour soon.”

Sunmi was grinning widely. Taeyeon rolled her eyes; Sunmi could be a pain in the when she’s being playful.

“What rubbish are you talking about?”

“What? Aren’t you planning to look for someone new?”

“What? Who gave you that idea?”

“Then why did you come to UK early? We should have flown off this week instead of last week.”

Taeyeon sighed. She didn’t want to stay longer because Soo Young was hurting her.

“He doesn’t like me.”

“Who said that?”

“He said that himself.”

“You know, man can be s and dumb. They can say one thing now and then the next moment, they regret.”

Taeyeon smiled sadly.

“I think Soo Young knows what he wants.”

“I think so too. That’s why he flew all the way to UK just to “hang out” near you.”

“Huh?”

Sunmi gestured to Taeyeon to turn around and she did. Soo Young stood behind her; looking remorse and lovelorn. Taeyeon was surprised. She didn’t expect to see him here.

Soo Young could only look on; wasn’t too sure what he was supposed to do. He was there to salvage the situation; to confess but he stood rooted to the ground instead. His mind was in a mess.

The pair was staring at each other; not knowing what to do. One was speechless and the other was in complete blank.

-

Ji Young rested his back against his arm chair. His encounter with Yul was a bad one. His younger brother has issued a challenge with him. He never thought Yul could change so much.

“What are you going to do by getting involved?”

“You engaged Nichkun to represent you?”

“Oh that’s right. You’re seeing Nichkun’s ex girlfriend.”

“Of all people, why did you pick him?”

“He’s a good lawyer.”

“But he’s from the same company with Tiffany.”

“Well, I have my own freedom to choose which lawyer I want. Tiffany’s good too. You don’t trust her?”

“No, I’m just afraid that Nichkun has some other motives for doing this.”

“What are you talking about?”

“He’s the second boss of your company, right?”

Ji Young was surprised. Taeyang was equally stunned.

“How do you know?”

“Your organisation chart revealed everything.”

Ji Young slapped his forehead when Yul pointed to the chart on the wall.

“From what I know, there’s already a conflict of interest between Nichkun and your company.”

Ji Young realized that Yul wasn’t as ignorant as he thought. He seemed to know more things and Ji Young knew his brother was no longer innocent – he was the biggest threat now.

“So what do you want to do?”

“I can report on Nichkun for having a conflict of interest in taking up this case. You already have a case on your back to handle; and Taeyang has a criminal record before. If I wanted to play my cards dirty, I would have exposed each one of you.”

“You’re not stupid anymore.”

“I’ve abandoned my duties as a Kwon and I thought I was doing fine until this happened. How could you turn your back against someone who has taken care of you all this while?”

“Kwon Yul, I have never wanted to get you involved but now it looks like you’ve declared war with me.”

“Well, I came prepared. I’ve done my homework before I decided to confront you. Since you’re so unfeeling towards my father, so why should I be nice to you?”

“You know, Yul. You have someone else that you’ve to be wary of?”

“Who?”

“Kwon Sang Woo.”

Yul kept quiet. He didn’t say anything much. He stood up and walked over to his brother. Taeyang just remained silent. The two brothers had a face-off instead.

“I’ll not get involved if you withdraw your lawsuit against father.”

“And then what happen next?”

“I’ll persuade him to give you back the position. You can take over the company if you want to. I have no interest in the business but if you don’t withdraw your case, I won’t hesitate to get even.”

Yul left after that.

-

“Looks like your brother is your next target.”

Taeyang knew what Ji Young was thinking of.

“No, it’s not him.”

Ji Young has always been playing dirty. He loves to do that.

“Then?”

“Nichkun wants Tiffany back, right?”

“So?”

“Let’s aim Tiffany then. I’ll see how Kwon Yul would react.”

Ji Young was having a cunning smile on his face.

-