Chapter 23

The Neighbours

“Miss Jung, someone’s here.”

“Hm?”

Jessica looked up and was surprised to find a familiar face peering over Luna’s shoulders.

“Auntie?”

“You know her, Miss Jung?”

“Yes, just let her in. Can you make some drinks?”

Jessica turned to Mrs Im and asked politely.

“Would you like coffee or tea?”

“It’s kinda hot outside. I’ll just go for a cold drink.”

“Orange juice is fine with you?”

“That’ll be great.”

Luna nodded after hearing that; leaving Jessica with her guest. Mrs Im sat down comfortably on the sofa while Jessica pulled out the chair closest to her. She sat across Mrs Im.

“You’re impressive, Jessica.”

Mrs Im looked around the office. Jessica was glad Mrs Im has decided to come over. Just two nights ago, Jessica went to her place without Yoong’s knowledge but Mrs Im wasn’t home. So she left her a letter and her name card. She was urging Mrs Im to look for her. And the old lady did.

“Mrs Im, I’m so glad you decided to come.”

“I read your letter. I don’t know why you’re so adamant to change my mind.”

“I love Yoong, Mrs Im. He means the world to me. Although he always appears goofy and smiley, but I know deep down inside he’s hurting so badly. When you chased him away that night, he went home in tears. He wasn’t crying – but he was breaking down. He crumbled into pieces and I watched helplessly as he came undone in my embrace. No words could comfort him.”

Mrs Im gave a sad smile and nodded.

“It wasn’t easy for me either, Jessica.”

“I’m aware of that, Mrs Im. I know you’re hurting as well.”

“So that’s the reason why you made an effort to bring me closer to him without him knowing?”

“I’d do anything for him. Even if you give me a pistol right now to prove my love for him, I’d gladly pull the trigger and shoot my head with it.”

Mrs Im was alarmed with the confession.

“That’s how much I love him.”

“Jessica, I’m convinced that you’ll be the perfect one for him. But I didn’t become like this because I wanted to. There’s something I’ve been hiding from him.”

Jessica was frowning away.

“I married young. I was only 15 when I married Yoong’s father. The man was already in his 30s when I married him. We got married because of Yoong. We got together on one drunkard night and I was pregnant with Yoong. I was too young to be married but Yoong’s father was a perfect gentleman. So when we got married, he took good care of me. That was when I found out he was a street boxer.”

The conversation was halted when Luna interrupted them with their drinks. The lady swiftly placed the drinks on the table before leaving the room. Mrs Im continued her story after she was certain that Luna was no longer nearby.

“I didn’t love him when we got married. I blamed him for destroying my life. But he didn’t care. He did his job dutifully as a responsible husband and a father-to-be. I was slowly and gradually falling in love with his father. He made my life easy – much easier than those times when I stayed with my parents. So after Yoong was born, we were a perfect family.”

Mrs Im’s eyes turned watery and Jessica’s heart ached for the old lady. She stretched out her hand and held on tightly to Mr Im’s hand.

“Jessica, Yoong’s father worked so hard for us. He was not only a street boxer; he was an odd labourer. He did many odd jobs to feed us – he put me through school and also took the whole burden of raising Yoong up. That’s why he worked as a street boxer. He earned more than his odd jobs.”

Jessica nodded; not wanting to interrupt.

“I love him. But it hurt me so much to see him returning home with all the bruises on his face; and once he returned home with broken ribs and a fractured cheekbone. I watched him sparring before and his opponents were not merciful. They would tear you apart; kick you and they could probably kill you.”

“But Yoong’s not a street boxer. He’s a professional boxer. Of course, he would get injuries but they wouldn’t be severe.”

“Still, it was bad enough to rake unhappy memories of his father. Jessica, I’m going to tell you something that you should never tell Yoong about it.”

“What is it?”

“Jessica, the reason why his father died was not because his opponent killed him. His father won the match that night but he offended the mafia gang.”

“Huh?”

“The man he defeated was the champion from the mafia gang. Yoong’s father win earned him lots of money but it was a huge loss for the mafia gang. They got angry and staged an accident-like-murder.”

“Oh my god!”

Jessica covered in disbelief.  She finally understood the reason why Yoong’s mother hates his job so much. It was something personal for her – boxing caused the death of her beloved husband – not unintentionally but it was an intentional death.

“They couldn’t find anything about his death. So they covered it up and told me that he died because severe injuries to his head. But when autopsy was done, the pathologist told me the truth.”

“Did you report it?”

“I did initially. But I was given lots of death threats and they even kidnapped Yoong when he was a child before. I got crazy and feared for Yoong’s life so I withdrew the case. Since then I forbid Yoong to take up the sport as his career but the boy was just too stubborn.”

“Did you tell him the truth?”

“Yoong looked up to his father. He thought his father died in his glory days but I couldn’t bring myself to tell him that his father was murdered and the murderer got away, scot-free.”

Mrs Im was staring blankly into space after she told the horrid story to Jessica. The lady finally understood the woman’s wrath and pain. It must be extremely painful for the old lady.

“I know he’s a professional boxer but I’m always afraid that they’ll find out about Yoong.”

“You mean the mafia gang?”

Mrs Im nodded.

“But they had already murdered someone!”

“I’m just afraid of Yoong’s safety.”

“Do you still remember the leader of the mafia gang?”

“I don’t remember his name but I will never forget his face.”

Jessica was perplexed.

-

Suho was busy with his work when Tiffany returned to office after lunch with Yul. The step brother looked up with a sly grin on his face.

“What’s with that grin?”

“Had fun with Yul hyung?”

“Shut up. Wait, dad called me during lunch earlier on. How the hell he knew I was with some guy?”

Suho acted stupid and Tiffany knew it was his doing.

“YOU!”

“Well, he wanted to know where you went!”

“You could have told him I was out with colleagues or something!”

“Lying is bad. Dad taught us to be honest with ourselves!”

“You’re just too happy that I’m seeing someone and gladly shared this news with everyone in our family.”

“Oh come on! It’s about time anyway! You know how different you are right now. You used to be fun then you grew dull but now, you’re glowing!”

Tiffany rolled her eyes as she playfully punched Suho on his arm. They may not be related by blood but Tiffany has always been grateful to have Suho with her. He protects her silently and quietly. And now the role was taken up by her new boyfriend, Yul. And Suho was genuinely happy for her.

“Oh, Nichkun hyung was looking for you earlier on.”

“What does he want?”

“I don’t know. You can see him inside. Do you need me to follow you?”

“No, it’s alright. I’m not afraid of him anymore.”

Suho nodded with a smile.

“Good! But I’ll just stay nearby in case.”

“So you’re going to act like a hero now?”

“Well, Yul hyung has given me the authority to protect you in the office when he’s not around.”

“Since when you’re close with him?”

“Hey, he doesn’t only buy food for you. He’s generally a nice guy.”

“YOU ASKED HIM TO BUY YOU BREAKFAST AND LUNCH ALL THE TIME?!”

“HE WILLINGLY BOUGHT THEM FOR ME!”

“HE’S NOT EVEN YOUR BROTHER IN LAW YET!”

“Wow, you’re planning to settle down with him as soon as possible, aren’t you?”

“Shut up! I’m going to meet Nichkun now.”

Tiffany went straight to Nichkun’s office. The man was inside; reading through the documents on his table. Tiffany took a deep breath before knocking on his door. He looked up.

“You’re looking for me?”

“Come on in.”

Tiffany went in and sat across of him. She was no longer afraid of him; she was just wary and cautious but Yul taught her not to show her feelings out too easily.

“Is there anything?”

“Why is there an invisible line drawn between the two of us?”

“What do you mean?”

“You sound more like a colleague now.”

“We have always been colleagues.”

Nichkun put his glasses away. He closed the document files and put them aside.

“Are you moving on from me?”

“Isn’t that what you wanted from me?”

“I never told you to do that.”

“That’s why I’m doing it now.”

“Tiffany, you should know the reason why I married Victoria.”

“Yes, and you did. And I let you go.”

“I still have feelings for you, Tiffany.”

Tiffany’s heart used to waver before but now, Yul has firmly etched himself deeply in Tiffany’s heart. She gave Nichkun a smile.

“You used to hold me down with words like that. You made me confused and I would stupidly fall for those sweet-honeyed words of yours. But I cannot do this anymore, Nichkun. I have to move on from you. It has been long overdue. I deserve better happiness for myself.”

“And Yul could give you that?”

“What are you trying to say?”

“You think his father will accept you?”

Tiffany didn’t answer.

“And you think his family can accept our son too?”

“Mason’s not your son!”

“You can deny it, Tiffany but he’s my flesh and blood. You can never change the truth. It’s in our blood!”

“What do you want, Nichkun? Why cant you leave me alone?”

“I’m protecting you, Tiffany! I’ve always been doing that. You’re just unaware of it.”

“You’re using me. You’re controlling me again and again. You’re going to be a father to Victoria’s unborn child. Just focus on her and your family.”

“I cannot do that anymore. Mason is our son, Tiffany.”

“I can raise him. I’ve been doing that all by myself.”

“You’re going to bring him back to Korea, aren’t you?”

Tiffany was horrified.

“I know everything, Tiffany. I know where Mason is. But I didn’t look for him because I’m looking for the day where I could be reunited with you and Mason.”

“What? You think that’s possible? You left me because you cannot defy your parents!”

“Just give me some time. I promise you, I will leave Victoria and be with you!”

Tiffany was confused yet again.

-

Soo Young was busy at his studio. He got Yul to write some songs for him and his partner wanted him to produce some songs for samples.

“Where have you been, jerk?”

Taeyang, his business partner, threw a pen at him. Soo Young ducked.

“I injured my back.”

“Are you okay?”

“I’m good to go. So let’s get busy.”

“We have to do some song samples. It’s for a female singer.”

“New singer?”

“I have no idea. I was given a contract to produce 3 song samples. Did you inform Yul?”

“He sent his lyrics via email. He said he will come by tomorrow.”

Soo Young put his bag down and settled down at his seat. He was fiddling with the buttons on the console and Taeyang was pulling out his guitar from the case.

“You bought a new guitar?”

Soo Young glanced to his side. Taeyang nodded. He was tuning his guitar when their assistant was at the door.

“y girl, how are you?”

Hara rolled her eyes at Soo Young.

“Why didn’t you break your back?”

Hara whacked Soo Young’s back with her file. Soo Young flinched. He knew why Hara was furious at him.

“Oh come on, are you still mad about that incident?”

“You dumped my best friend on the street.”

“She got out from my car while I was driving. It wasn’t my fault.”

“You’re seriously a jerk.”

“Hey, I introduced Daesung to Nicole!”

“Yeah, thanks to you; they’re happy together.”

“It’s a happy ending, right?”

Hara rolled her eyes and Taeyang was scoffing away. Soo Young has  always been on Hara’s nerves but they’re still close.

“Oh, I’m here because there’s a pretty girl at the reception looking for Soo Young.”

Taeyang turned to look at Soo Young. He narrowed his eyes at him.

“You have a new girlfriend?”

“No, I don’t. Did she say her name, Hara?”

“Dr Kim.”

Soo Young stood up immediately and left the room; leaving Taeyang and Hara screaming at him. They were extremely curious but Soo Young was not going to give them the heads up. He ran down the stairs and quickly made his way towards the reception.

There she was. She was looking at the notice board; holding on to something.

“Taeyeon?”

She immediately turned and smiled. Soo Young’s heart melted into a puddle.

“What are you doing here?”

“I bought lunch. I saw this earlier on and I know you love it.”

“Fried Chicken?”

Taeyeon nodded. Soo Young grinned widely.

“Have you eaten?”

“I ate with Sunmi earlier on.”

“Oh? You’re not eating with me?”

“Erm, why don’t you share the chicken with your colleagues?”

Taeyeon pointed behind him. Soo Young turned. Hara and Taeyang were waving at him. He rolled his eyes.

“What the hell are you two doing here?”

He was giving them the look. Taeyang was grinning away. He then approached Taeyeon and slide past Soo Young. He managed to stick his tongue out at Soo Young’s wrath.

“Hi, I’m Taeyang.”

“Taeyeon.”

“Wow, Taeyang and Taeyeon, what are the odds? Are we meant to be?”

God, Taeyang was flirting with Taeyeon. Soo Young was boiling inside.

“Err, it’s a coincidence, I guess.”

And Taeyeon was falling for it.

“Maybe we share the same surname.”

Taeyang was about to introduce his surname when Soo Young came in between them before pulling Taeyeon away from Taeyang.

“Take this chicken bucket and eat. I’ll be with you later.”

“You’re not eating with us, Taeyeon-shi?”

“NO, SHE’S NOT.”

Choi Soo Young was jealous. He answered Taeyang instead. Soo Young pushed the door open and pulled Taeyeon with him.  He only let her go when they were quite a distance away from his office. Taeyeon was smiling away.

“Your colleague’s funny.”

Soo Young rolled his eyes. He was jealous when Taeyang stood closely with Taeyeon. For some reason, he just wanted Taeyeon to stand next to him; just be with him. She’s exclusively his.

“Are you jealous, Soo Young?”

“What?”

“Your friend was just being friendly.”

“He’s too friendly.”

Soo Young looked away; he couldn’t look at Taeyeon in her eyes. His heart might burst.

“You’re so cute, Soo Young.”

She giggled softly. Soo Young loves the sound of her laughter – it was really unique. It was more like ahjumma laughter. He suddenly saw flashes of his past came running across his mind. He was momentarily transported to his younger days where he took relationships for granted. He could literally see what his future would be if he was without Taeyeon.

He grabbed Taeyeon by her arms. The lady was taken aback.

“Soo Young?”

He was nervous; he wanted to confess so much but he couldn’t find the words or worse still, his voice refused to cooperate with him. And Taeyeon was staring back at him with those worried eyes.

“Are you alright, Soo Young?”

“Taeyeon..”

“Yes? What is it?”

“Taeyeon, I....”

God dammit, Choi Soo Young! Where is your damn eloquence?!

“Soo Young, you’re scaring me. Is your back hurting again?”

, Taeyeon’s always showers him with concern.

“Taeyeon, I have something to say.”

“Okay, what is it?”

Soo Young finally gathered his courage and held on to Taeyeon strongly. He needed to confess – he just needed to let Taeyeon know but something else had to interrupt them. Or rather, someone was going to stop Soo Young from confessing.

“Soo Young baby!”

He turned; Taeyeon turned too. His jaws fell to the floor. A lady was bulldozing her way between Taeyeon and Soo Young. She literally bumped Taeyeon aside and  jumped on Soo Young. The man was stunned when he saw his ex-girlfriend smiling widely at him.

“Hyorin?”

“Hi Baby! Do you miss me?”

Soo Young didn’t answer. He just looked at Taeyeon’s face. Her expression was incredulous. She didn’t say anything and just left. Soo Young was struggling.

“Taeyeon!”

He tried screaming after her but Hyorin got him in her grip. She held him down; Choi Soo Young was indeed weaker than his female companions. Even Taeyeon could lift him up the last time he fainted at the farm.

“Soo Young, I miss you.”

“Get off me, Hyorin!”

“I’m so happy to see you again! Why are you so harsh towards me?”

“What are you doing here?”

“You’re supposed to be my producer this time. My company has signed a contract with you.”

“WHAT?!”

“We’ll be working together!”

Soo Young’s nightmare has begun.

-