Chapter 5

The Neighbours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euPG1byiVDE (listening to this song while reading) :)

Yuri was strumming his guitar as he penned his lyrics down on his note book. He was singing; fine-tuning his song into a masterpiece. Soo Young was helping him with the rhythm.

What am I supposed to do 
With all these blues 
Haunting me, everywhere, no matter what I do 
Watching the candle flicker out in the evening glow 
I cant let go 
When will this night be over 

Yul was concentrating on his masterpiece; Soo Young was amused each time he does that. He looked extremely serious and sometimes Soo Young thought he was y when he had those focused eyes.

“Shut up.”

“Oh come on, it’s a compliment.”

“You’re so gay.”

“I’m always gay for you and Yoong.”

Yul rolled his eyes. He continued writing; ignoring Soo Young with all his might.

I didn't mean to fall in love with you 
And baby there's a name for what you put me through 
It isn't love, it's robbery 
I'm sleeping with the ghost of you and me 

Seen a lot of broken hearts go sailing by 
Phantom ships, lost at sea 
And one of them is mine 
Raising my glass, I sing a toast to the midnight sky 
I wonder why 
The stars don't seem to guide me 

“Yul, the lyrics are awesome.”

“Thank you.”

“I’m hungry. Do you want to eat something?”

“I just need coffee.”

“Okay, you continue with your lyrics while I make us some coffee and steam some hot buns.”

Yul nodded and Soo Young left him alone in the living room. Yul looked through his lyrics; he was always that sentimental; putting words into feelings and then into something artistic like a song.

Well, he was channelling all his feelings for Jessica into that song.

I didn't mean to fall in love with you 
And baby there's a name for what you put me through 
It isn't love, it's robbery 
I'm sleeping with the ghost of you and me 

The ghost of you and me 
When will it set me free 
I hear the voices call 
Following footsteps down the hall 
Trying to save what's left of my heart and soul 

Watching the candle flicker out in the evening glow 
I can't let go 
When will the night be over 

I didn't mean to fall in love with you 
And baby there's a name for what you put me through 
It isn't love, it's robbery 
I'm sleeping with the ghost of you and me 

He mumbled softly. He strummed his guitar carefully and then suddenly, it was complete. He smiled to himself.  Then he walked over to Soo Young’s keyboard; he was fiddling with Soo Young’s mixer and converted the rhythm into a proper music arrangement.

“Wow, you did it all by yourself.”

“Do you think it needs some adjustment?”

“Play it again and let me listen.”

“With the lyrics?”

“No, just the arranged music. I’ll see what I can do to it.”

Yul took his song sheet and placed it in front of him. Soo Young picked up his laptop and mixer. He sat across Yul as Yul grabbed his guitar on the sofa. He strummed the first few notes and Soo Young already had something in mind.

The two continued to work together; putting all their expertise onto the song. Soo Young then decided to head to his room which was also his studio. All of his other instruments were inside including a mini drum set where he used to adjust the base.

“Okay, I think of something like this.”

Yul looked up.

“Okay, let’s hear it then.”

An hour later, they managed to write the song. Both were satisfied with the outcome.

“Yul, you should sing this.”

“Huh?”

“This is your song. I didn’t write anything of it.”

“You helped me with the arrangement.”

“Well, this is solely your baby. Come on, give it a try.”

“Oh okay then.”

“Let’s set you up.”

Yu started singing. He was looking at the lyrics of his song. He wrote that because he knew he had to. He had to channel his feelings for the cold girl next door but he wouldn’t dare to tell her. He wouldn’t even imagine if he could even open his mouth to confess to her.

So he wrote songs instead to reveal his innermost feelings for her. And Soo Young knew that this song didn’t just come out of nowhere. There was something or someone who would inspire Kwon Yul to write such sentimental and sad love song. He couldn’t wait to .

Yul sang with his all of his feelings. He was so immersed with it that he didn’t even realized Yoong was at the door; listening to him. When he finished, both guys clapped their hands. He was taken aback.

“Wow, that’s really sentimental.”

Yoong took a seat beside Yul who was slightly blushing and perhaps embarrassed. He hates to sing. His voice was just not nice enough.

“Don’t be silly. I’m not a good singer.”

“Hyung, give yourself some credit. You have a good voice.”

“Shut up and when did you get home?”

“Just five minutes ago. I heard some noises and I saw you here.”

“This is a new song. He did it all by himself. The lyrics are amazing. There’s just so much pain inside it.”

Yul stared at his song.

“Yul, did someone inspire you to write this?”

Yul appeared nervous.

“No.”

He tried to deny but the two guys knew. They grinned before Soo Young .

“You wrote this for one of the girls next door, aren’t you?”

“What the hell. How did you know?”

“Hyung, you told us you fell in love. But you didn’t tell us who.”

Yul looked away; not wanting to give himself away. He gathered his stuff including his guitar and rushed out of Soo Young’s room. Yoong tried to stop him but he managed to plough that guy down with just a push. That just showed how nervous he was.

“Wow that was something.”

 Yoong was surprised that he was being pinned to the ground within splits seconds.

“Its either you’re weak or he’s really nervous.”

“It’s obviously he’s nervous.”

“You’re not going to admit that you’re weak aren’t you?”

“You wanna try to spar with me?”

“Stop trying to pull me into your spar games. I bruise like a child.”

“And cry like a wimp.”

“Shut up!”

Yoong stood up and Soo Young was in deep thoughts. Yoong was playing with his drums when he saw his dorky hyung’s face. He knew what he was thinking of.

“Don’t even think about it.”

“What?”

“You’re going to find out who Yul hyung’s girl huh?”

“You know he’s sentimental. By the look of this song, he’s not planning to tell her anything.”

“You should know how he is with the girls.”

“Yoong, who do you think he likes?”

Yoong rolled his eyes but nevertheless gave a quick thought. He has never seen Yul dating other girls or never seen him with other ladies before.

“I have no idea what kind of girl he likes.”

“You’ve never seen him with girls?”

“Well, I’ve seen him with girls but that’s when he’s with me. I’ve never heard of him dating any girl before.”

“If not for this song, I would have concluded he’s gay.”

“You know, gay is only for you.”

“I know.”

“If one day you confess you’re gay, I’ll support you.”

Soo Young rolled his eyes.

“If I’m gay, I’ll definitely choose you.”

Soo Young rushed forward and gave Yoong a hug. The younger guy yelped and jumped away. He was pushing Soo Young away but the older guy was forcing himself on him.

“YA!”

“Come, let me kiss you!”

“NO! Hyung, get away!”

“Ya, you go to gym often. Don’t the gays there force themselves on you?”

“THEY HAVE DIGNITY AND PRIDE! THEY DON’T DO THIS!”

“Are you insulting me by the way?”

“YES!”

“Oh, you’re such a baby!”

Soo Young pinched his buttocks.

“HYUNG!”

Poor Yoong; he was ually harassed by his dorky hyung.

-

Yul could hear his two friends shouting at each other from his room. He ignored them but stared at his newly written song.  He hates himself. Somehow he had to agree with Soo Young.

He could never confess his feelings to that dream girl of hers directly.

And Yul wondered why; why Jessica Jung, the scariest among the three ladies, caught his heart perfectly. It was something he himself could never understand.

He didn’t want to fall in love; he didn’t mean to but he did.

And he couldn’t get her out of his mind. He blamed it on Jessica’s smile. The smile was his final downfall – as he pathetically fell in love with her.

“Get off me, Yul!”

“No way!”

“Ya! You’re not really light, you know?!”

Yul continued to torture the poor guy and Soo Young was the weakest among the three of them. He just couldn’t overturn Yul.

Suddenly a lady stood at the foot of the sofa. She had the coldest murderous eyes; practically glaring at the both of them. Yul swallowed hard; there was something in that girl’s eyes. She was planning to kill someone.

“Which one of you was the culprit who made the walls vibrated into ours?”

Yul immediately pointed to Soo Young.

“Get lost.”

Jessica motioned with her finger and Yul quickly got up. He ran to the side and Soo Young got up on his feet.

“Stupid man! I’ll carry weights one day and throw you off the building!”

“You’ll take another 20 years to do so. You cannot even jog for god sake.”

“Shut up!”

“YOU!”

Yul has momentarily forgotten about the lady in the living room. Soo Young finally realized they had  visitor.

“Wow, Yul. Is she yours?”

“Huh?”

“YOU STUPID SKINNY LONG MAN!”

The lady was pointing her finger at Soo Young. Soo Young was taken aback.

“Excuse me?! You’re rude, lady!”

“Were you the one who screamed GOALLLLL this morning?”

“Yes! That was me!”

“Oh, really?”

“Yeah! Our football team is going to win the EPL this year!”

“But you won’t live long to see it.”

“Heh?”

The lady moved quickly towards Soo Young; she breezed past Yul and managed to grab a ball of socks which Yul had folded earlier on from the table. She immediately ploughed that skinny dork down with just one slight push.

“Wow, woman! You’re strong!”

“No, Soo Young. You’re weak.”

“Shut up, Yul!”

And before Yul could react to it, he witnessed how the lady sat on Soo Young and shoved the ball of sock into Soo Young’s throat.

“This is for spoiling my sleep on a Sunday morning!”

Wow, that lady was one feisty woman. She could kill Soo Young if not careful. Yul was shocked beyond words. He couldn’t react at all.

-

Jessica was wearing her high heels. Tiffany has left and Taeyeon was on leave today. She was lazing around on the sofa; much to Jessica’s annoyance.

“Byeee~”

“Shut up.”

“Be home early. I’m cooking dinner.”

“Fine, I’ll see you.”

Jessica closed the door behind her and made her way to the lift. She was still adjusting her high heels and struggled with her handbag and her laptop bag. She winced.

“Sheesh, where the hell is the car keys?”

She continued to dig into her beg and when the lift opened, she quickly went in. She was about to press the door close when someone stopped it by plunging his hands in between the doors. Jessica was shocked for a second. And she was going to shoot bullets when someone shouted out.

“Wait up!”

The voice seemed familiar. The door was forced open and there he stood - that gorgeous guy who made Jessica almost had right there and then. He was in his sleeveless white tee and light blue jeans. His Braun Buffel belt logo was prominent just above his zipper; and he was fashionably wearing his white tee out. His duffel bag slung across his chest; his broad wide chest. And his clean shaven face was perfectly beautiful and his cologne was almost intoxicating. Jessica could hear the birds whistling in her ears. This guy was gorgeous and deliciously handsome – Taeyeon was ing right.

“Jessica-shi?”

Jessica was stoned for a second.

“Jessica-shi, are you okay? You look stoned.”

“Ah, yes. I am. I mean no. I’m sorry; what did you say again?”

Jessica was embarrassed. It was obvious she was drooling over him.

“Nah, you were staring at me for quite awhile. Is there anything wrong?”

“Er, no. I was just stupefied for a second.”

“It’s okay. It’s the early morning. I can understand that. And for what I know, you’re not exactly a morning person.

He flashed his imp grin and Jessica’s ovaries exploded. Why, why did he have to do that?!

“You’re going to work?”

Jessica Jung, how dumb can you be. Where can he be at the early morning?

“Kind of. But it’s more like training.”

“Training?”

“I’m a professional boxer.”

Gawd that explains the huge biceps and muscular body. Jessica wondered if his abs were as good as his biceps.

“You need a lift?”

“Nah, I’m walking to work.”

“Walk?”

Jessica was incredulous.

“It’s a form of warm up for me before the training. My gym is just two streets down. I’ll be fine walking.”

“Oh.”

Jessica was disappointed. She just wanted to spend more breathing moments with him. The lift finally reached the ground floor. The door was opened and Jessica stood there like a fool. Yoong was waiting for her; a perfect gentleman.

“Jessica- shi? Are you leaving?”

“Uh, yes. I’m sorry. I’m such a dumbo today.”

Yoong chuckled and shook his head.

“Nah, I think you’re cute. I’m going this way. You?”

Jessica pointed to the carpark which was just opposite of his.

“Okay then. I’ll see you again.”

Yoong smiled and took out his headphones. He plugged them in and shifted his duffel bag behind him. He walked away; with his perfect backview facing Jessica. She almost wanted to jump on his back. She forced herself not to.

“Good grief, Jessica Jung. Get a grip!”

But Jessica’s heart was already pining for the gorgeous handsome boy.

-

It was Soo Young’s turn to cook for the guys. He lost the poker game two weeks ago and this week; his punishment was to cook dinner for the boys. Soo Young didn’t mind though. He has passion for cooking. It was all because of his mother who taught him cooking since he was a little boy.

“Okay, let’s see. Yul is a goat and Yoong is a carnivore for the whole month. So, beef steaks and potatoes with carrots and broccoli would be good. Oh, probably some chicken salad in case that goat refuses the steak.”

He was mumbling himself; listing down the things he wanted to buy. Yul heard him. He rolled his eyes.

“I could hear you.”

“I meant it loud and clear for you to hear it.”

“Fine.”

“What time will you be home?”

“Before 6pm.”

“Okay then. I’ll see you. I’m going to the supermarket now.”

“Yes Mommy.”

Soo Young shot him a look.

“Oh, wait. Yes Giraffe Mommy.”

“What!?”

“I’m the goat, Yoong the lion and you shall be our giraffe mom.”

“Why am I the giraffe?”

“You’re tall and lanky.”

“Fine, your argument is valid.”

Yul grinned.

“I’ll see you later, bro.”

“Yeah, see you.”

Soo Young left first before Yul. He walked past the girls’ apartment. He saw some heels outside and he grinned. He started mix-matched them; he was certainly enjoying his childish act. Suddenly the front door opened and Soo Young jumped immediately. He screamed and the shoes flew in different directions. The person at the door was equally shocked.

“Oh my god!”

“What the hell?”

“Taeyeon-shi, you shocked me!”

“I should be the one who said that! What are you lurking around outside of our apartment?!”

Taeyeon went out of the house and saw the mess on the floor. There was still a shoe in Soo Young’s left hand.

“What are you doing?”

Taeyeon raised her left eye; staring at Soo Young.

“I was taking my revenge.”

“On me?”

“No, the witch.”

“O.O”

“Are these your shoes or the witch’s?”

“Most of the shoes are Jessica’s. Tiffany keeps her shoes in the house. I only have one pair which is hidden in my room. I wear more of sneakers.”

“I knew it! So can I make a mess for her?”

Taeyeon was tickled. This guy was seriously asking for it but Taeyeon wanted to know what would happen to him. She nodded.

“Yipee~!”

Soo Young went back to his mix-matched game and Taeyeon looked on with a smile. He might be childish and crazy sometimes but he was just  being him; a typical petty guy who was waiting for death to come  by.

“Okay, done!”

Taeyeon nodded. He really made a huge mess. Jessica was going to have fits later.

“Don’t let her know!”

“Sure.”

But Soo Young was the greatest fool and Taeyeon couldn’t help but feeling sorry for him in advance. They installed a camera in front of their apartment two weeks ago but she didn’t have the heart to tell Soo Young. She was really interested what the end would be for this skinny tall dude.

“Okay, I’m leaving now.”

“Oh, where are you going?”

“Supermarket.”

“Oh? I’m going there too.”

“You’re not working?”

“I’m on leave today. So I’m cooking for the girls.”

“We’re in the same boat. I lost during strip poker. Not only that I have to strip to my skin; I had to cook dinner for these idiots for this week.”

Soo Young rolled his eyes. Taeyeon didn’t have to know about the strip poker but she just couldn’t help feeling that these guys were really fun people to be with.

“Shall we go together?”

Soo Young offered and Taeyeon agreed. They went off to the nearby supermarket. Soo Young was dragging his trolley which made him looked so domestic. He offered to put Taeyeon’s basket on his trolley.

“It’s okay. We’re going together. You can put your stuff in my trolley.”

“It’s so troublesome for you.”

“Don’t be ridiculous. I’m a perfect gentleman.”

“Say the person who messed up my best friend’s shoes.”

“That’s different. She offended me first!”

Taeyeon laughed heartily. Soo Young smiled. They finally reached their destination and found their items that they needed. And Taeyeon was flabbergasted when Soo Young paid for their groceries.

“Oh my god, I have to pay you back!”

“Nah, it’s okay.”

“No, Soo Young. You just paid $600 on groceries!”

“Only 1/3 of the cost is yours.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, most of them are my rations at home. I eat a lot. Those two idiots don’t really eat much. Yul is a full-pledged goat and Yoong only eats a lot when he’s not training. His competition is coming so he watches his diet these few days.”

“Ah, I see.”

“Here, let’s go.”

Soo Young arranged the groceries properly before pushing the trolley along. Taeyeon was walking beside him; she was on the outside nearer to the road side. Suddenly a car zoomed past; it was too close to Taeyeon but before she could react to it; Soo Young was already pulling her closer to him.

Taeyeon was stunned when she found her face brushed against his chest.

“Stupid driver! Do you know how to drive?!”

Soo Young was screaming at the reckless driver but Taeyeon was too stunned for words. She has never found herself in such embrace with a guy.  And to make things worse, he was gently caressing her back to comfort her.

“You’re okay, Taeyeon. I got you.”

Her heart was beating faster than it should honestly be.

-