Chapter 6

The Neighbours

Tiffany was dying at work. She has never wanted to be a lawyer. She wanted to be a singer but her father was hell bent on her to be a lawyer. Her late mother was a lawyer and so were her siblings. So Tiffany chose that designated line as well.

Tiffany worked with her Uni mates. They decided to start up a partnership and Tiffany was the second partner in the company. Her boss happened to be her ex boyfriend from school, Nichkun.  They were on good terms but Tiffany still harbours strong feelings for him. She just never told him anymore. Nichkun has since got married to Victoria and Tiffany buried her feelings deep down in her heart.

Thankfully, her little step-brother, Suho was working with her. He always kept her in check and kept her company at all the dinner functions. Suho had wished that his sister would find someone new but he knew better than to tell her. She would hammer him.

“Suho, are we having a case today?”

“It has been postponed. The prosecutors asked for extension so it would be heard next week.”

“They have gotten new witnesses?”

“I have no idea what they have on their cards but I’m sure we will win this case. They have nothing against our client.”

Tiffany was known as the most notorious lawyer who would shoot bullets if she could. Her facts; her evidences and her way of getting the accused to fall for her trap were brilliant. Many other lawyers in the industry took their hats off for her. Even the veteran lawyers felt that Tiffany was really one smart pretty lawyer. Her father was the CEO of a large corporation so Tiffany’s popularity soared pretty quickly.

Tiffany was aware that Nichkun was riding on her popularity but she couldn’t care . She was just doing her job and her father was extremely proud of her.

“Suho-shi, is your sister around?”

Tiffany recognized that voice – Jessica Jung.

“Sica Noona! Yeah, she’s inside.”

“Is she busy? It’s lunch time and I thought we could eat together.”

“Oh, you can ask her. I have a date.”

“Ah, my little baby brother is growing up now.”

“Noona! I’m 22 now!”

“Yes, I know that. I’ll see you around then?”

“Okay!”

Tiffany waited before Jessica strolled in through her door. She looked up immediately.

“Lunch time~”

“I thought you hate to go out at this time?”

“My appointment’s at 3. I just want to eat earlier. I need retail therapy.”

“Why?”

“I’ll tell you over lunch. Can we go now?”

“Sure, I’ll grab my bag.”

The two ladies left Tiffany’s office and walked over to the nearby cafe. Tiffany couldn’t eat much during lunch time. Suho bought her brunch earlier on. So she just had coffee and sandwich. Jessica was having pasta.

“Are you having a court case today?”

“Nope, it has been postponed.”

“Can you go shopping with me?”

“I can spare you an hour.”

“Deal, let’s eat quickly.”

“What’s wrong with you? Why are you so nervous?”

“What?”

“You hardly eat heavy lunch.”

That was true. Jessica was normally sticking to sandwiches during lunch. That was the basic diet for many working ladies during lunch time.

“Tiffany, when was the last time I ever spoken about a guy?”

“2 years ago; with Taecyeon oppa.”

“That guy left me heartbroken.”

“Jessica, he had to return to his hometown to help his father with his business. I don’t understand why you let him go.”

“I just cannot stay apart with my guy. I need him close to me.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes.

“I’m not like you. You could still work with Nichkun oppa despite he’s married and riding on your popularity to keep his law firm stay.”

“Don’t be an idiot. We agreed to be partners. And we’re not the only ones. Suzy and Park Bom unnie are also our partners.”

“Those two ladies are hardly at office. Only the two of you are present.”

“Park Bom unnie is representing clients overseas. She’s travelling more often.”

“I understand. You don’t have to be so uptight and defensive about it.”

Tiffany stuck her tongue out. She was always feeling uncomfortable when people talked about her and Nichkun.

“But seriously Tiffany, you have to learn to forget him. If not you will be stuck in his world forever.”

Tiffany sighed and nodded.

“Enough of me, so what are you trying to say now? You wanna talk about guys?”

“I almost had in the lift.”

Tiffany just looked on with wide open. Jessica was nonchalant about her words and continued eating.

“You what?! You had in a lift?!”

“NO! It’s an expression of how your heart would jump when you see the man of your dreams.”

“Jessica, that’s too extreme for an expression!”

“I know but I almost did. That gorgeous delicious neighbour of ours drove me crazy.”

“Yoong-shi?”

“Yeah, and Taeyeon was ing right! He’s such a when he’s in his sleeveless tee.”

Tiffany grinned.

“Wow, this guy is really making you edgy.”

“Why must he so gorgeous like that, Tiffany?”

“I don’t know. But don’t you think such gorgeous guy might be seeing someone now?”

Jessica stared at Tiffany. It didn’t come across her mind at all. Her mood made a quick change.

“Damn it! You’re right! He must be seeing someone now!”

“Jessica, I was just saying.”

“Please, Tiffany. Why wouldn’t girls throw themselves at him for being so drop dead gorgeous?”

“I don’t.”

“You’re throwing yourself onto a dead end – a man that you could never get because he’s wearing a ring.”

“Shut up. Taeyeon doesn’t too!”

“She’s gay!”

“Jessica, calm your . I might be wrong for all you know.”

“Do you think he’s married?”

“I don’t know. Oh my god, what was I thinking of?  Are you suggesting that I should do a research on him?”

“Do you have to do that extreme?”

“Tiffany, I’m dead meat. I couldn’t concentrate at work. It’s all because of him and his stupid sleeveless tee!”

Tiffany was amused.

-

Yoong was punching the sandbag in front of him. His face was sweaty and beads of perspiration were dripping down his lean chest. He was half ; he was only wearing his boxing shorts.

“Harder, Yoong! Come on!”

His trainer was an but he was like a fatherly figure to Yoong when they were not focused in training.

“This is just what you have?! Come on, you can do better!”

Yoong delivered stronger punches; the punching bag flew at different directions. His trainer was pleased with his condition. His hoobaes were watching him with admiration. They just wanted to be like him.

“Okay, we can stop for now. Let’s do some cardio training tomorrow.”

“Huh? We’re done for today?”

Yoong hardly caught up with his breath. He was surprised.

“My daughter’s birthday is today. I promised to go home early to celebrate.”

“Oh? Send my regards to her.”

“Sure, Yoong. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

His hoobae threw a towel at Yoong. He thanked him and wiped the sweat off from his face. He grabbed his water bottle from his bag and took a couple of deep gulps. He was exhausted.

“Yoong!”

He turned sideways to find Yul standing beside him. The guy was in his gym outfit. Yoong looked at the wall clock.

“It’s early for you to be here.”

“I’m hitting the gym for awhile.”

“Hyung, is something bothering you?”

Yoong knew Yul’s routine. He would go to the gym in the evening every day. The only time he would adjust his gym timing was when he was troubled over something or someone.

“I’m fine.”

“Hyung, I know you well enough. What’s bothering you?”

Yul threw his bag onto the floor and sat beside Yoong. He took the boxing gloves and wore them over his palms. He started punching and his delivers were intense.

“Hyung, do you want to spar with me?”

“Can I?”

“Sure, I need the help.”

Yoong’s hoobae passed his boxing gloves to him and Yul was getting ready. Yoong knew something was bothering his hyung a lot. But he wouldn’t say. They started sparring and Yul didn’t give a chance to Yoong at all. He was determined and competitive. Yoong was surprised at his sudden blows.

“Wow, you can kill me with that one punch.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Relax, hyung. I cannot afford to get injured.”

Yul nodded but continued to deliver his strong punches. It was a breeze for Yoong to avoid them but he was concerned with his best friend. They finally stopped when Yul collapsed after Yoong delivered a hard one across his face. Yoong rushed to him.

“Hyung!”

Yul sat up; in a daze. But he smiled widely before pulling out his safety head gear.

“Now I know why you’re a champion. You just need one punch and your opponent wouldn’t stand a chance against you.”

“Hyung, you’re not bad yourself.”

“Ah, I feel so much better now.”

Yul threw the gloves aside and lie flat on the ground. Yoong sat beside him; looking on.  Yul was staring intently at the ceiling; his mind was filled with issues – and one of his biggest issues was Jessica, the ice princess. Yul referred her as that.

“Yoong, how did you feel when you were in love?”

Yoong spitted out his water.

“What?”

“I think I’m in love, Yoong.”

“Hyung, are you serious?!”

“Yes I am. And you know, I’ve never had a girlfriend. I don’t know, Yoong. I think I am because she has been on my mind since the first time I saw her.”

“Oh my god, who’s this lucky girl, hyung?”

“I can’t tell you that.”

“Why not?!”

“I’m not too sure if she feels the same.”

“You’re worried about Soo Young hyung?”

“That gay has a lot of things in his hands to worry about.”

“Then why wouldn’t you tell me?”

“I would let you know when the time is right.”

Yoong nodded. He didn’t want to probe too much.

“Hyung, I respect your decision. But if you ever feel perplexed, talk to me.”

“I will. Thanks, Yoong. You’re just like a little brother to me.”

“Well, I’m more like the bigger brother.”

“What?”

“I used to protect you when we were in school.”

“But I trained myself up!”

“Still, they bullied you because you were too gentle.”

“Fine, I’ll let you win this time.”

Yoong grinned before patted on Yul’s shoulders. He hit the showers first while Yul sat there; thinking of that particular someone.

“Jessica, what are you doing now?”

He whispered in his heart.

-

“Wait, Soo Young-shi!”

“Can you call me Soo Young? Can we just drop the formality?”

“You have to call me Noona.”

“Are you ing serious about this?”

“I’m still a year old than you.”

“Fine, Taeyeon NOOOOONNNAAAA!”

Taeyeon giggled softly. They were cooking at Soo Young’s apartment. Soo Young was boasting about his culinary skills and Taeyeon decided to give him a chance. She challenged him to cook for her friends as well.

Soo Young was good so far. He didn’t overcook the beef. He grabbed some cucumbers and Taeyeon stopped her. He narrowed his eyebrows at her.

“You don’t eat cucumbers?”

“Jessica hates them.”

“Then the more we should put them in!”

“Soo Young, do you really hate her a lot?”

“Don’t you?”

“She’s my best friend. I love her to death.”

Soo Young grinned before putting them away.

“She’s lucky to have you but I still want to put cucumbers in my dish.”

“Then can you make a separate one for her?”

“Do I have to, Noona?”

“You have to. If she faints later, you bear responsibility.”

Soo Young was taken aback.

“Cucumbers can kill her?!”

“Yes, almost did. She almost died.”

Soo Young picked up the cucumbers and stared at them intently.

“That woman is weird.”

He grumbled but agreed to put the cucumbers away. He didn’t intend to be a murderer that night.

“So what else should I avoid for that woman?”

“Salmon and anything that is associated with melons.”

“Are you kidding me, Noona?”

 “I’m not. I know everything of her. I used to date her.”

Soo Young dropped his knife and stared at Taeyeon with wide open.

“You’re a lesbo? She is too!?”

“Well, we date guys too.”

“Wow, greedy!”

“Oh come on, we were at the age where we were exploring things.”

“Was there involved?”

Taeyeon whacked Soo Young’s back with the cucumbers.

“I barely know you.”

“And here you are in my kitchen; cooking with your stranger.”

“Shut up. Of course there was.”

“Awesome!”

“Are you going to imagine it?”

“Of course I’m not! I mean, I’m curious. But you don’t have to tell me in details. I don’t want to know about that witch.”

“Stop calling her that. She has a name.”

“SHE CALLS ME SKINNY LANKY GUY!”

“She’s a lady. She has the right to call you names.”

Soo Young rolled his eyes but went back to his cooking. Taeyeon’s heart was at ease being with Soo Young. He might not be the dream guy neither does he have the perfect body but Soo Young’s cheery position was pleasantly easy-going for Taeyeon.

“Noona, do you want your steaks well done? Or medium rare?”

“Well done.”

“WHY?!”

“What do you mean by why?”

“You need to eat steak bloody!”

“Then why do you bother to ask?!”

Soo Young chuckled softly.

“Because I like that annoying look you have in your eyes. You’re so adorable like that.”

Taeyeon’s heart skipped a beat.

-

Tiffany’s client wanted to see her urgently so Tiffany had to dump Jessica alone on her shopping trip. Jessica was furious but then resigned to her fate. Not everyone had the luxurious time as she did. So she just wandered from shop to shop; looking at things. Nothing caught her eye. Only that delicious handsome hunk residing on her mind – took up most of her brain space. Jessica was infuriated with herself.

“Why are you conveniently stuck to my mind now?!”

“Who are you talking about?”

Jessica was stunned. She turned immediately. That permanent resident of her heart was grinning at her.

“Hello.”

Jessica’s voice miraculously disappeared.

“What are you doing here on a Tuesday afternoon? Aren’t you supposed to be at work?”

Yoong’s smile melted Jessica immediately.

-

“Hi Mr Kwon, I’m sorry I took a while to return.”

“It’s okay, Miss Hwang. I didn’t make any appointment with you. I’m sorry you had to rush back.”

“It’s my job. What is it that you want to talk about?”

“I want to transfer my company to my son. I want to make it official.”

“Oh sure, there’s not issue for that. But is your son coming?”

“He is on his way. I had to lie to him.”

“Why?”

“He wouldn’t come if I’m not sick.”

“Huh?”

“APPA!”

A young man barged in without knocking. Tiffany was surprised to find the familiar guy. The young man was staring at her too.

“Miss Hwang, this is my son, Kwon Yul.”

They knew each other. They were neighbours but Tiffany has never thought that Kwon Yul’s the successor to his father multi-billion company in the future. The guy looked too simple to be a millionaire’s son.

“Hi Tiffany. We meet again.”

“Hi Yul, it’s a surprise to see you here.”

“You know each other?”

“Appa, she’s my neighbour.”

“Oh, that’s a small world.”

Both of them nodded.

-