Chapter 18

The Neighbours

Yul was waiting for Tiffany at the carpark. He left her a message on her phone. He couldn’t wait upstairs; Jessica and Yoong were together. They were behaving intimately and Yul couldn’t stomach it any longer. Yul was leaning against his car and playing with his phone when Tiffany appeared in front of him. She was full of smiles and Yul was compelled to give her a wide smile as well.

“Did you rush down?”

“You’re waiting for me.”

“Huh? Have you eaten breakfast then?”

Tiffany shook her head. Yul frowned before opening the door for Tiffany. He got in and drove off immediately. He then drove in to a drive-thru’. Tiffany was looking at him.

“Macdonalds?”

“For you.”

“Heh?”

“You cannot go to office with an empty stomach.”

“I usually have just coffee.”

“No, that’s not good for health. I’ll get you pancakes.”

“Err, can I have big breakfast instead?”

Yul turned to look at her; then he grinned.

“Ah, you’re a meat eater!”

Tiffany pouted her lips. Yul continued to grin and Tiffany playfully smacked his arm.

“But can you share it with me?”

“Huh? You want to eat it in the car?”

“No, you can share with me in the office.”

“Ah, okay then. Coffee or tea?”

“I’m a coffee person.”

“Okay.”

Yul took orders and after receiving the orders, he drove off to Tiffany’s office. He went up with her; helping her with the files and the food. Suho was already in the office.

“Noona! Oh, Yul hyung!”

“Suho-shi, have you eaten breakfast?”

“Huh? No, not really.”

“Great, I’ve bought something from the Macdonald’s. Do you eat pancakes?”

“Yul, you bought for him as well?”

“Actually I’ve already ordered pancakes earlier on before you mentioned the big breakfast. It’s okay; Suho can finish the pancakes.”

Suho was already salivating when he saw the pancakes. Tiffany smacked his forehead.

“Ow!”

“You never change. You’re always looking like a wolf when it comes to a food.”

Suho stuck his tongue out. Yul gave him the food and he whisked away to his office. But before he left, he nudged his step sister in her arm.

“Noona, have fun!”

“YA!”

“Hyung, I’ll eat at my place.”

“Sure, have a good breakfast.”

Suho winked at Tiffany and the lady was blushing away. She pulled Yul into her room and the guy quickly settled down. Tiffany put her files on the table and put away her coat. She peered over her shoulder and was amused when Yul painstakingly cutting up the beef patty into smaller pieces.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m cutting the beef patty into smaller pieces. It will be easier for you to eat.”

Tiffany sat on her sofa and watched Yul divided the food into equal portions. He transferred his share onto the cover. He started eating quietly. He looked up.

“Tiffany, come and eat.”

Tiffany chuckled softly before making her way to her small pantry at the corner of her room. She took out a plate and took the cover from Yul. She poured it over the plate and gave it to him.

“Here, eat this properly.”

“Thanks.”

“I have plates. You could have just asked me.”

“Hee.”

Yul stuck his tongue out and continued eating. Tiffany also took hers and they spent time talking. Awhile later, someone entered Tiffany’s room. Yul stood up immediately. He turned to look at Tiffany who was avoiding the other person’s glare. He often wondered why this person could quickly change Tiffany from a warm to someone who suddenly became afraid to even breathe normally.

Yul stretched his hand out without fear. The person looked at him.

“Hi, I’m Yul. Kwon Yul.”

“Mr Kwon, I know you. Your father is our client.”

“I see. So you must be Nichkun.”

The person nodded his head.

“I was just having breakfast with Tiffany. You don’t mind, right?”

“No, Sir. I’m fine with it.”

“You’re here to look for Tiffany?”

“No, I’m just checking on her. Since she’s busy with you, I’ll leave first.”

Yul smiled widely. Nichkun was staring at Tiffany but the lady cowered to the side. Yul then stood beside Tiffany; he reached out for her hand and then pulled her towards him.

“Let’s eat, Tiffany!”

“Oh okay.”

Tiffany sat beside him; ignoring Nichkun’s glares. Yul was still holding on tightly to her hand; even took a piece of the beef with his fork and fed Tiffany with it. Tiffany knew Yul was trying to protect her. Nichkun left immediately; furious with Yul and Tiffany.

“Don’t be afraid of men like him, Tiffany.”

Tiffany turned to look at Yul.

“You must have loved him so much that even after your break up; his presence still bothers you so much.”

“I cannot help it. I just cannot stop my heart from loving him.”

“Well, if you don’t try, how would u know?”

“It has been so long. Even when he’s married, I still find myself missing him.”

Yul took a bite of his beef and then pulled Tiffany’s nose gently.

“Find another guy then.”

“It’s not that easy.”

“Tiffany, you’re so pretty. You’re gorgeous in your own ways. Every guy in this world would love to have you as his girlfriend or even wife.”

“Every guy in this world feels like that?”

“Well if you keep hiding behind this guy’s shadow, you can never step out fully.”

“Yul, do you feel the same as the every guy you’ve just said?”

Yul gave a thought for awhile.

“I’d love to.”

“Yul, you’re doing well without me helping.”

“What do you mean?”

“Do you remember you told me you wanted to be comfortable with ladies because you like this girl?”

Yul sighed and then put his fork away. He shook his head.

“What happened, Yul?”

“I’m just a minute too late. She has found her man.”

Tiffany was surprised.

“She will never like me.”

“I’m so sorry, Yul.”

“Nah, it’s not your fault.”

“Are you alright?”

Yul nodded.

“You need a hug?”

“You’re going to give me it for free?”

Tiffany was a little confused with his question at first but when she saw his cheeky smile. She knew he was going to be alright.

“Of course it’s going to be for free. Come here.”

Yul came closer but he was a little shy. However Tiffany just enveloped her arms around him. She pulled him closer and somehow Tiffany buried her face on his chest while Yul wrapped his arms around her waist. They stood intimately just like that for the next 10 seconds.

Nichkun was watching from outside and he didn’t like about it at all.

-

Jessica went to Krystal’s university to look for her sister. The little sister decided to move into the hostel so that she could stay closer with her crush. Yoong came along with her.

“Is your sister going to be fine with me?”

“Baby, my sister adores you. She keeps complaining to me why I let J-Hope stay with you instead of her.”

“Why did she move out from your place?”

“She doesn’t want to live in the same room with me. But I think it’s more of her following her crush around the school.”

“Is she even allowed to be on the boys’ dorm?”

“No, her crush is a girl.”

“Oh.”

Yoong then took the comfort of Jessica’s warm hand and held on tightly. He was enjoying this feeling so much. Jessica was feeling the same. The two squeezed each other hand’s tightly. Suddenly someone was screaming for Yoong’s name. Both turned immediately.

“Yoong oppa!”

Jessica was quick to look at Yoong.

“Relax baby, that’s Yul’s little sister.”

“Oh.”

“Wow, you’re so quick to get possessive.”

“You’re going to learn about me bit by bit.”

Yoong stuck his tongue out and the screaming girl finally reached him.

“Seohyun! I haven’t seen you for the longest time!”

“You’re too busy with your upcoming competitions, huh? How come I don’t see you with Yul hyung anymore?”

“He’s busy too. Why aren’t you in class?”

“Oppa, this is a university! Our lectures are hours apart.”

“I know. I was just teasing you. Here, let me introduce you to my new girlfriend.”

Seohyun’s eyes grew larger.

“Congratulations!”

“Thank you, Seohyun. Anyway, this is Jessica.”

“Hi Jessica unnie. I’m Seohyun.”

“She knows your brother too.”

“Oh, you know Yul oppa too? Ah, are you their neighbours?”

“Yes, pleased to meet you, Seohyun.”

“That’s great! Please take good care of Yoong oppa. He may look tough but he’s a chicken.”

“HEY! When was I a chicken?!”

“Oppa, you’re afraid of ghost movies!”

Jessica giggled. That was something she never knew.

“You don’t have to air my dirty laundry to my new girlfriend!”

“You’re so lousy. I hate watching movies with you. You hate horror/ghost or even thriller movies!”

Yoong pouted his lips and Jessica just kissed him instead.

“That’s something new.”

“This girl is horrid. She only watches such movies.”

“So what type of movies do you watch, darling?”

Seohyun interrupted in between.

“He’s huge er for comedies and romantic movies!”

“Kwon Seohyun!”

Seohyun winked at him; Yoong rolled his eyes at her.

“Seohyun, right?”

“Yeah!”

“I think we should stop disturbing your Yoong oppa before he sulks further. I’m actually here to look for my sister. Do you think you can help me?”

“Sure, what’s her name?”

“Krystal Jung.”

Seohyun clapped her hands together.

“Then you don’t have to wait for long. You don’t have to go anywhere either. She’s meeting me here. We’re catching movies together.”

“Oh.”

Not long after, another kid was screaming.

“SEOHYUN UNNIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~!”

“Krystal! Over here!”

Krystal was smiling widely as she ran towards her crush when she saw a familiar face glaring at her. She stopped abruptly with wide open.

“UNNIE?!”

Jessica was glaring at her. Krystal hasn’t been contacting her for so long. She never replied her sister’s messages either.

“Come here!”

“What are you doing here? Seohyun, you know my sister?”

“Err, I know Yoong oppa. And your sister is Yoong oppa’s new girlfriend.”

“WHAT?!”

“Soo Jung, meet my new boyfriend, Im Yoong.”

Krystal blinked her eyes; and then jumped on Yoong few seconds later. She put him in a headlock where Yoong used to show her before. Yoong was choked immediately.

“WOO HOOOO!”

“YA! GET DOWN!”

“I’M SO HAPPY YOU FINALLY NAILED MY SISTER!”

“KRYSTAL JUNG, YOU’RE STRANGLING HIM!”

“Krystal, people are watching! Get down, will you?!”

It was chaotic. Krystal was really excited having Yoong on board with her sister.

-

“Why am I doing this for you?”

Hyoyeon was stirring the fried rice in the frying pan. He went over to Taeyeon’s place and helped her sister with the dishes.

“I’m cooking for your Soo Young oppa. Since you haven’t started working, can’t you help me?”

“Yes, I know. But why?”

“Because you’re my brother?”

“You’re using our blood relations to make me do work?”

“I’ll tell Mom you’re loading on me.”

“Stop threatening me! You’re my only ATM now!”

“Then shut up and help me.”

Hyoyeon groaned but continued to stir the fried rice. Taeyeon was busy with other things and Hyoyeon stole a bite from the spoon. It tasted good.

“Noona, you haven’t changed.”

“What?”

“Your dishes always taste so good. I actually miss them.”

“Are you trying to be an apple polisher now?”

“It’s a compliment!”

“Fine, thanks for the compliment then.”

“Noona, why are you doing this for Soo Young hyung? Are you seeing him?”

Taeyeon dropped her ladle.

“What?”

“You like him, don’t you?”

“Is it really that obvious?”

“Noona, I’m your brother. I know how you react when you like someone or having an interest on somebody.”

Taeyeon sighed.

“Even if I do like him, he might not feel the same.”

“Did you confess?”

“Are you crazy? I need to know how he feels first.”

Hyoyeon grinned.

“Do you need my help?”

Taeyeon looked up. Her cheeky brother was up to something.

“What are you going to do?”

“Just leave it to me, okay?”

“YA, don’t get me into trouble!”

“I won’t. I will just see how he will answer me.”

Taeyeon agreed. So after she was done cooking, she got Hyoyeon to deliver the food to Soo Young as she made her way to her clinic. Sunmi was helping to tend the clinic for the first half of the morning. Hyoyeon then went over to the boys’ apartment with the food carrier in his hand. Soo Young’s nose was like a hound dog.

“What’s that?”

He saw Hyoyeon with the food carrier.

“My sister cooked for you.”

“She did? Where is she?”

“She has to go back to her clinic.”

“She just cooked for me?”

“You’re really a lucky man, you know?”

Hyoyeon took out the carrier one by one. He put them on the table. Soo Young scanned through quickly before settling down in front of the dining table. Hyoyeon helped to take his utensils.

“Smells really good.”

“I told you before. My sister’s a good cook.”

“She doesn’t have that image.”

“Why? Just because she hangs out with Jessica noona and Tiffany noona?”

“Well, I’m pretty sure the other two hardly cook.”

“You’re so right on that. But Taeyeon noona cooks often when she’s back at home.”

Soo Young listened quietly as Hyoyeon talked about his sister. Hyoyeon could sense that Soo Young was interested.

“Hyoyeon, is your sister truly a lesbian?”

“She dated guys before but they didn’t last long.”

“Why is that so?”

“Taeyeon noona tends to be more protective and she acts like as though she’s the guy most of the time. Well, in her relationships with the girls, she was often the “guy” so i don’t think she could shake that role away.”

“How many guys?”

“Two guys.”

Soo Young nodded as he took a bite of the food. He was surprised at how good the food was.

“Wow, she can really cook.”

“Duh, don’t underestimate my sister.”

“I’m not. I’m just surprised.”

“Hyung, do you think she will make a good wife?”

“Huh?”

“I mean for you, do you think my sister’s worthy as a wife?”

“Why are you asking me this out of sudden?”

“I think you suit my sister.”

Soo Young looked on with his mouth dropped to the ground.

“I wonder if you will ever consider her.”

Soo Young was speechless.

-

“Why are we watching Godzilla?”

“Oppa, it’s not even horror!”

“It’s a thriller! Godzilla is a monster.”

“You’re afraid of Godzilla?”

“Krystal, stop judging me.”

“I’m not! But you’re just so funny!”

“Shut up.”

“Girls, don’t you have other things to watch?”

“X MEN!”

Yoong was dying. Jessica was at loss too. She never knew her boyfriend wasn’t into movies that much.

“How about I pay for the tickets and the three of you watch instead?”

“Are you kidding me?”

“Oppa, let’s just watch together. You can hug Jessica unnie if you’re scared.”

Yoong was looking at Jessica with his pleading eyes but Jessica just smiled and pulled him closer.

“I’ll hold your hand.”

“Babbbyy~”

“Oh come on, the girls want to watch this show so much. You can close your eyes if you want to.”

“You’re a meanie.”

“Aww, you’re so cutee!”

The two girls rolled their eyes at them before running off to grab popcorn and drinks. Yoong sat on the sofa; he seriously hates such show.

“Yoong baby, I’ll hug you.”

“You sure?”

“Yes, I’ll let you hug me all you want.”

“No regrets?”

“No regrets.”

Halfway through the movie, each time the Godzilla appeared, Yoong lunged for Jessica and hugged her tightly. He was resting his head on her shoulders while his arms were around her waist. Krystal was rolling her eyes half of the time; realizing how stupid Yoong was and Seohyun was laughing her head off.

But Jessica just continued to hold him like how a mother would to a child. She even gently caressed his hair each time she felt his body tensed up.

“Baby, just relax. It’s not even real.”

“I will get nightmares.”

“Then I’ll sleep over tonight.”

Yoong sat up and turned to look at her. She was still smiling.

“Seriously, you will?”

“I know how you feel about premarital but I’ll just sleep over. I’ll hug you to sleep.”

Yoong’s smile slowly appeared before it grew wider as he nodded his head.

“You’re such a child, Im Yoong.”

“Well, you love this child-like dude don’t you?”

Jessica chuckled softly and nodded.

“Yes, I love you very much.”

-

Yul was walking along the street when he saw a florist shop. He smiled when he suddenly thought of Tiffany and he wanted to give her a surprise. He was browsing through when the florist approached him.

“Can I help you?”

“Um, I’m buying flowers for a friend who’s working hard at work and I think she needs some encouragement.”

“Is she a special someone?”

“Well, she’s a special friend.”

“You seem fond of her.”

“She’s really nice.”

Yul looked around and then pointed to a bouquet.

“I’ll get this one.”

“Good choice, Sir.”

“Thanks! Can you wrap it up for me?”

“Sure do! Your girlfriend is so lucky to have you.”

“Huh?”

The florist has already gone back to the back of the shop with the flowers. Yul pondered over her words. The lady wrapped the bouquet nicely and passed it over to Yul.

“Here you go, Sir.”

“Wait, what do the flowers mean?”

“You’re wonderful.”

“Oh, okay. You think she will love it?”

“She will definitely love it, Sir. You’re so thoughtful.”

Yul was satisfied with his purchase and left the florist. He made his way towards the next street. He saw a restaurant with sandwiches. He looked around and saw something Tiffany might like. So he bought the sandwich and hot latte before heading to Tiffany’s office.

He was smiling when he saw the flowers. He reached the lift lobby and took out his phone. He was about to call Tiffany when he saw Nichkun rushing to somewhere. He was chasing someone. Yul followed as well.

He was surprised to find Tiffany walking ahead of Nichkun. He assumed they were fighting. Yul followed from behind quietly.

“Tiffany, stop walking!”

“What do you want?”

“We need to talk about us!”

“Us?”

“Yes, I want to talk about you and me!”

“What do you want to talk about now? Why did you agree to represent GD?”

Yul was surprised. GD is his step brother.

“Mr Kwon Jiyoung wants me to represent him to sue his father.”

“You know what he did to us before, right?”

“You may be my partner but we can defend whoever we like.”

“You’re just doing this because you’re jealous of Yul!”

“Why are you mentioning him? Are you in love with him?”

“Nichkun, we’re already broken up so long ago. You’re married now. Victoria is expecting your first child together. What else do you want?!”

Nichkun didn’t reply. He was just staring at Tiffany. Yul was hiding behind the pillar but he could see tears in Tiffany’s eyes. His heart ached. And he wondered why.

“Talking about that, I need to know something.”

Tiffany didn’t answer.

“Your sister told me something that you’ve been hiding from me.”

Tiffany turned to look at him.

“You were pregnant with my baby.”

Yul was stunned.

“You gave birth to the baby. Where is he now, Tiffany?”

Tiffany’s eyes were completely red. She was hiding this truth from him but somehow Nichkun found out. Yes, she was pregnant with his baby but he got married to someone else instead.

“You don’t have to know where he is.”

“Tiffany, that’s my baby too!”

“Ever since you left me to marry Victoria, I’ve already considered you dead in my life. My baby doesn’t need to know about his father.”

“TIFFANY!”

“WHY DO YOU WANT TO KNOW? WHY DID YOU ASK OUT OF SUDDEN AFTER 5 YEARS?”

“Does Yul know?”

“I knew it. You think you can use our child to threaten Yul?”

Yul was furious when Nichkun just kept quiet. He was such a horrible man. How could he do that?

“He doesn’t know, right?”

“I know.”

Tiffany was stunned when she saw Yul coming out of nowhere. Yul went up to Tiffany and stood in front of him. He squared up his body and hid Tiffany behind him.

“I know about the child. You’re incorrigible. You’re using your own flesh and blood to force Tiffany to do your deeds?”

“Mr Kwon Yul, your brother is suing you and your brother. You’ll receive a letter from us.”

“Go ahead and sue. I’ll be waiting. But from today onwards, I want you to leave Tiffany alone. I’m seeing her now. She has nothing anymore with you.”

Yul took Tiffany’s hand and walked away. Tiffany was stunned as Yul gently pulling her along with him. Nichkun was completely infuriated.

-

Soo Young sat on the sofa. He was thinking of something.

“Your sister likes me?”

“Duh, isn’t that obvious? She returned home half day just to cook for you. She wanted to make sure you eat right and take your medicine on time.”

“Your sister doesn’t treat others like that?”

“No, she doesn’t treat everybody the same. Why are you so surprised about this? I thought you’re the ladies’ man? You cannot figure out my sister’s feelings for you?”

Soo Young was taken aback.

“But from your reaction, you don’t seem to like it.”

“No, it’s not that.”

“She’s not good enough for you?”

“Wait, I didn’t say that. I just feel like I’m lacking so much. She’s so much better than me. She can find someone better.”

“You mean you don’t have the slightest feeling for her?”

Soo Young kept quiet.

“Hyung, if you don’t have feelings for her, then why did you keep coming to her?”

“What?”

“You asked her for help to pose as your girlfriend. Then you went willingly to help her at her animal clinic. Are you telling me you don’t have any feelings for her?”

“No, I didn’t have any intention.”

“So you’re telling me you don’t like my sister at all?”

“No, I mean she has better choices.”

“God, why are you so afraid of?”

“I’ve been hurt before, Hyoyeon. I don’t think I can love your sister the way you want me to.”

“Are you kidding me?”

“If my actions are giving her the wrong vibes, I can stop doing them.”

Hyoyeon was furious. He got up on his feet and glared at Soo Young.

“I cannot believe you just suggested that. My sister likes you. But if you don’t like her at all, I suggest you leave her alone. Stop being nice to her. Don’t give her hopes if you don’t have the slightest intention to love her.”

Soo Young was perplexed. Hyoyeon was definitely giving him the warning.

“God, Soo Young. What are you doing?!”

He was frustrated with himself.

-