Chapter 44

The Neighbours

Jessica rushed to Yoong’s training centre. His mother called her and found him there; he almost killed his coach but his mother managed to stop him. Jessica drove her car recklessly; beating all the red lights as she was in a rush to get where Yoong was right then.

Her heart felt sorry for her boyfriend. He must be devastated to learn the truth about his father’s death. He idolized his father so much; thinking that his father died of glory. Her heart ached when she could imagine Yoong’s heartbroken look on his face.

She managed to reach safely despite over-speeding and recklessly dodged the red lights at the traffic junction. She parked her car carelessly before running towards the training centre. It was an utter mess; furniture and tables were toppled over; chairs were broken and there stood a man at the corner of the room; hugging a small petite woman who was continuously trying to calm him down.

“Yoong!”

Jessica called out to him; the man turned to look at his girlfriend who was already tearing up. The man suddenly felt guilty for putting his girlfriend through hell by attempting to kill his coach. He just stood there; lifelessly as Jessica threw herself at him. Her arms were wrapped protectively around him; her palms cupped gently on his cheeks.

Yoong watched as tears fell from the corner of Jessica’s eyes. He loves this girl a lot but he had done nothing to stop her from crying. He was at loss.

“Sica..”

“I’m here, baby. I’m here for you.”

“Sica... they have been lying to me.”

“Yoong, don’t say that.”

“My father didn’t die as a gloried man. He died as a victim of a murder case. Why would they do this to him?”

“Yoong...”

His voice was trailing and he hid his face behind Jessica’s neck. Jessica could feel wetness at the back of her neck and she knew her boyfriend was crying. She cuddled him closer and pulled him towards the unharmed sofa. She sat him down as she went down on her knees. Her palms were still cupping at his cheeks.

Yoong was looking down but Jessica gently hoisted his chin up and looked deeply into his eyes. Jessica could see the pain look in his eyes. She pulled him closer and planted a soft kiss on his forehead.

“Your father is still proud of you, Yoong. You’ve come so far until you’ve become a professional boxer. Your competition is coming up in a few months time. You should focus on that and return his glorious days back to him. You can gift him with that.”

Jessica tried to encourage her boyfriend but Yoong kept shaking his head. Jessica knew Yoong’s morale and confidence were zero now. The reason for his diligence and hard work was his father and his pride towards his father was too deep to be ignored.

“I cannot go on now. I cannot fight knowing my father didn’t die as a gloried man.”

“But you can. You can win this for him.”

Yoong finally looked into her eyes.

“I know about your father’s death.”

Yoong was confused.

“What?”

“I knew about this through your mother. She’s my client, Yoong.”

Jessica turned to look at the petite woman who was still standing at the corner of the room; feeling smaller than ever. Yoong’s coach was still on the floor; stupefied about everything.

“She loves you, Yoong. She wanted to protect you from the truth. She knew how devastated you would get if you knew the truth. She has been trying to protect this truth from you all along.”

Yoong looked at his mother; trying to get some kind of acknowledgement from her. His mother could just nod her head.

“Your mother thought your coach looked familiar. She wanted to confront him but seeing how you practice hard for your upcoming competition, she couldn’t bear to stop you. She wanted to wait for your competition to be over before she would tell you the truth.”

Yoong’s eyes were watery. He was actually more confused but he couldn’t think anymore. He then turned to saw the shamed man; lying on the floor with blood trickling down from his nose. Yoong quickened his pace towards him and grabbed him by his collar. Jessica was behind him; trying to stop him.

“You, you’re the cause of everything. Why? Why did you kill my father? What did he do to you?”

“He didn’t kill your father, Yoong.”

His mother suddenly spoke up. Yoong turned abruptly to face her.

“Yes, he was the reason why your father was killed but he didn’t kill him. It was because of miscommunication. He did send a warning to your father not to go that night but your father left his phone at home.”

His mother took a deep sigh.

“I was at home with you. You were such a sickly child. You would fall sick every now and then and your father was extremely worried about your health. He was a honest man; working as an odd labourer but because of your weak constitution as a child, he fought at the clubs to earn extra cash for you.”

Yoong looked away. Tears were already falling. Jessica was hugging him and Yoong slowly let his coach go.

“I finally saw his phone; he left it on the sofa. I picked it up but was puzzled to see so many missed calls from a man by the name of Yunho. I decided to read his messages and was bewildered to learn that someone was planning to get your father killed. I grabbed you in my arms and ran all the way to the fighting club. But I was too late, Yoong.”

His mother was breaking down. Yoong could hear her soft sobs.

“I saw him lying on the floor, Yoong. His head was broke open. Blood was oozing out profusely. And he was completely lifeless. I have never told him I loved him, Yoong. I have never expressed my feelings for him. So when I saw him like that, my heart ached badly. I went down on my knees and you were wailing so loudly, Yoong. Your eyes were so red; you seemed to know that your father was gone.”

Mrs Im turned to look at Yunho. He didn’t look up; he was crying.

“Mr Jung, you were the one who left a huge sum of money in my letter box didn’t you?”

Yunho nodded.

“Why did you do that?”

“I could have warned him earlier. I could have gone in and stopped him. But I missed him by a second and the next thing I knew, he was dragged outside. I thought he didn’t turn up because I didn’t see him but he died even before he could step out onto the ring.”

Yunho slowly got on his feet. He hopped over to one side of the room. He pulled out a photo and gave it to Yoong.

“Your father was a good man. He cared for his friends. He loves your mother and you so much that he was motivated to win each time he went out to fight. I treated him like my brother and I knew he had a son. But he has never mentioned your name to me so I didn’t know you’re his son.”

Yoong could hear the sincerity in his coach’s voice. His mother has cleared up the misunderstanding and Yoong knew the only man who was responsible for his father’s death was Yul’s uncle. This was going to complicate matters.

“Kwon Sang Woo killed my father?”

“Yoong, stay away from him. He’s a dangerous man.”

“I cannot do that anymore. My buddy is with him now.”

“What do you mean?”

“Kwon Sang Woo is my buddy’s uncle. He has murdered his step brother and caused his father to be comatose.”

Yunho was stunned.

“Wait, are you talking about Kwon Sang Joon?”

Kwon Sang Joon is Yul’s father. Yoong knew so he nodded.

“Where are they now?”

Yunho appeared agitated.

“Why do you want to know?”

“I have always wanted to avenge Seulong’s death. One year after his death, I went to look for your mother and you. But your mother has moved away and there was no news on your mother. Nobody seemed to know where she had gone to. Where did you go, Hyori?”

Yunho turned to Mrs Im.

“I left that place because it has created so many unhappy memories for me. I was young and alone; with a sick son. My mom persuaded me to leave and led a new life somewhere. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t forget Seulong. For some reason, Yoong remembered his father’s fighting days. He was inspired to be like his father. I was helpless when he told me he wanted to be a boxer just like his father. I purposely got mad with him and treated him badly and shabbily.”

Mrs Im then turned to her son. Her eyes were wet and red.

“I didn’t want to lose you. But you were so fascinated with your father’s winning streaks that you idolized him so much. I couldn’t bear to break the truth to you. Yoong, you were motivated by your father that you started working out. You got better and you didn’t fall sick so often like you used to. You were getting healthier every single day and I was so happy to see you putting on weight during your high school years.”

“Omma..”

“I’m sorry for lying to you all this while, Yoong. I was afraid that if I told you the truth, you would want to take revenge for your father’s death. I’m not willing to lose you, Yoong. I’ve lost my husband. I cannot lose my son too.”

Yoong couldn’t stand it any longer. He gently pushed Jessica away before he ran towards her. Mrs Im embraced her son in her arms; she misses him. She misses holding him like this. She used to hold him like this when he was a child.

Yoong’s still her baby after all.

“Omma, I’m sorry. You must have been hurting for so long.”

“It’s okay, Yoong. I should be apologising to you for ignoring you each time you came over.”

“Omma, I promise I’ll take good care of you. Omma, I will win this competition. I want to win this for Appa.”

“Of course you will, Yoong.”

Yoong turned to his coach.

“Coach, I’m sorry. I almost killed you.”

Yunho smiled and patted on his back.

“Yoong, I’m so glad that fate led you to me.”

“I’m going to train hard for this competition. Let’s win the championship for my father.”

Yunho nodded. Mrs Im then went over to Jessica and cupped her hands. Jessica smiled at her.

“Thank you for being there for Yoong. It’s because of you, I’m reunited with him. You made me realized how much my son means to me.”

“Mrs Im, I love him. I’ll do everything that I could to ensure his happiness and safety.”

“I hope you’ll call me Omma soon.”

Jessica’s reds turned red. Yoong was grinning away.

“Omma, can I marry her?”

“Why not?”

“But I’m not going to marry her now.”

“WHY?”

Mrs Im, Jessica and even his coach were questioning at the same time. Yoong stared at them.

“What? Now the three of you are in cahoots?”

“Why aren’t you going to marry your girlfriend?”

Yunho quizzed in.

“Coach, I thought you dislike my girlfriend?”

“She has a character. I think she can be another factor who can influence to shape you into a better man.”

“What?”

Yoong was incredulous with his coach’s statement. 

“You’re singing praises of me? I was so rude to you the last time.”

Jessica was equally surprised.

“You’re a lady with one hell of a character, Miss Jung. I was afraid of you actually.”

“Really?”

“I think you’re the younger version of Hyori.”

Mrs Im rolled her eyes but later shared the same sentiment with Yunho.  Apparently, Mrs Im knew Yunho for quite some time. It was only after Mr Im’s death that caused a rift between the two of them.

“Yoongie, are you sure you’re not going to marry Jessica now?”

Yoong grinned before putting his arm around his girlfriend. He kissed her before announcing his true intention.

“I’ll propose to her after I win the championship.”

Jessica narrowed her eyes at him.

“What if you don’t win?”

“I want to marry you. So I’m going to win, no matter what. I have to win for my father. I want him to share the glory moment with me.”

His mother, his coach and his girlfriend nodded. They agreed with him.

-

“Tiffany..”

“Mr Kwon!”

Tiffany was surprised to find the older Kwon in a wheelchair; appeared without a word at her doorstep. She was about to leave the house after leaving Mason in Krystal’s care.

“Tiffany, I know what happened to Yul.”

“Mr Kwon, Yul’s not thinking straight anymore. He’s going to leave me.”

“Tiffany, we have to stop him.”

Suddenly he heard a little boy shrieked in his room. Krystal was playing catch with him. He ran out of his room and Mr Kwon caught the side of him. Krystal was about to usher him back to the room when Mr Kwon called out to him.

“Mason?”

Tiffany was taken aback when she heard the older Kwon calling out to her son. Mason was equally surprised too. He glanced at his mother but his mother encouraged him to come forward. He held on to Krystal’s hands tightly and pulled her along.

“You’re Mason, right?”

“Yes I am.”

Mr Kwon gave him a wide smile. He reached his hands out and persuaded the boy to come closer. Krystal gently urged him to go forward. Mason did. But he was watching his mother but her smile put him at ease.

Mason embraced the old man and Mr Kwon wrapped his arms around the little boy.

“Who are you?”

“I’m Yul appa’s father.”

“Oh, Yul Appa! So are you my haraboji?”

“Mason!”

Tiffany was a little shocked when Mason said that but the old man shrugged her off. He nodded and smiled again.

“Yes, I’m your haraboji.”

Mason smiled.

“You look like Yul Appa.”

“Of course, he’s my son.”

“I love Yul Appa. He takes good care of me but I haven’t seen him lately. He’s always looking so upset and brooding all the time.”

Mason pouted his lips and Mr Kwon pulled him closer. He rested his chin at the top of the boy’s crown.

“Yul Appa has something to do. He’ll be back with you once he’s done his chores.”

“I know. That’s why I didn’t disturb him.”

“Mason’s such a good boy. You’re so obedient and have good manners.”

“Mommy said if people are busy or upset, Mason should not disturb them.”

“Mason loves Yul Appa?”

Mason nodded his head.

“I’m going to ask Yul appa to come home, okay?”

“Huh? But you’re in a wheelchair. Are you sure you can move around, haraboji?”

Mr Kwon was impressed. The boy is not only well-mannered but he’s very attentive and concerned about his elders.

“Your mommy is coming along with me. So can you be a good boy and stay at home with this sister?”

Mr Kwon pointed to Krystal.

“I will. I made a promise to Mommy just now.”

“That’s my good boy. I’ll return with a gift for you if you’re well-behaved.”

Mason smiled widely. He suddenly lunged forward and hugged the old man tightly. Mr Kwon was taken aback and felt warmth when Mason wished him.

“Haraboji must take care of yourself too. Let Mommy take care of you instead.”

“I will.”

Mr Kwon felt blessed. Mason went back to the room with Krystal. They were playing catch again. Tiffany left the apartment with Mr Kwon. She had to remain calm and kept her cool. She didn’t want Mason to worry about her.

“You have a very smart boy.”

“Thank you, Mr Kwon.”

“Tiffany, I want to hear you call me Appa one day.”

Tiffany was stunned.

“I’ll ask Yul to marry you. I believe you’re the right woman for him.”

-

“Where’s my step mother?”

“You still care about her?”

“I know what happened between you and her.”

“What do you mean?”

“You have an affair with her behind my father’s back.”

“Aren’t you upset about it?”

Yul shook his head.

“She has the choice.”

“Why are you so calm about this? Aren’t you here to seek revenge for your brother?”

“I am but I’m not going to kill you just to take my revenge.”

“Your step mother was the one who shot GD.”

“I know that.”

“What?”

“I know everything. And I even know that Seohyun is not my sister. She’s your daughter.”

“Bull!”

“Didn’t she tell you anything?”

Kwon Sang Woo was alarmed. She did mention to him something before she shot herself in the head. But he was not going to admit it.

“Dad knows Seohyun’s not his daughter. When he found out my step mother was pregnant, he knew that baby wasn’t his. He has never bedded this woman so he knew she was having an affair with some other man. She begged Dad for forgiveness. Dad has a good heart. He took her back willingly and raised Seohyun just like his own daughter.”

The man kept his silence.

“Your own brother took care of your daughter. He found out who her father was when Seohyun got into an accident and Dad took a DNA of her and you. He has always suspected it was you. But he didn’t confront you. He knew you would never admit it and he was afraid that you might harm Seohyun if you ever found out.”

Yul observed his uncle. He was breaking down slowly. Yul could notice that he was slowly breaking out in a massive mess.

“Your brother cares for you. He has always been. He gives you shares secretly. He gives you everything that you want since you were a child but you’re never grateful towards him.”

“Your father is the apple of your grandfather’s eye.”

Kwon Sang Woo spoke softly.

“No matter how hard I tried to outwin your father, your grandfather only cares about him. I’m his son too but your grandfather has never treated me like his own. I was jealous of your father. He has the best of everything and I’ve got nothing.”

Yul looked on.

“Even when I won him over something, your grandfather has never praised me.”

“Did my father treat you badly when you were younger?”

Kwon Sang Woo managed a soft smile. He then shook his head.

“He never did. He always gave me what our father gave him. If it’s money, he would split it with me. If it’s food, he would share it with me. But I have always seen his acts as an act of pitying me. I hated him when he did that.”

“Have you ever asked him why grandfather treated you like that?”

“I’m a bastard son, Yul. I’m like your late brother, Yul.”

“So that’s the reason why you targeted him when you wanted to discard my father from his chairman’s seat?”

“I admitted. I was the fuel behind the fire. I was the one, who asked him to do so many things against your father but eventually, GD knew I was trying to make use of him. He told me something that I refused to believe – he said he respected your father. He wouldn’t do anything against him. So when he decided to drop the lawsuit against him, I plotted to get GD bankrupt. That pushed him to the edge and that night; he wanted to ask your father for help.”

“So you planned to kill him?”

“No, I planned to harm your father not him. Your step mother accidentally shot him.”

“What?”

“She wanted to confront your father when she found out about the will. Nothing was given to her or Seohyun. She got angry and fought with your father. GD somehow managed to find out about her affair with me and she went amok. I never planned to kill anyone. I just wanted to scare your father but your step mother took the shot and your brother was killed.”

“Where is she right now?”

“She’s dead, Yul.”

Yul was shocked.

“She came over here and shot herself dead.”

“What?”

“I quickly got her buried.”

“WHAT?!”

“What do you expect me to do?”

“Seohyun doesn’t know about her mother’s death! How could you be so irresponsible towards your own daughter?”

“I just found out that she’s my daughter! How the hell I know? Nobody told me before!”

Suddenly someone entered the room.

“Where did you bury her, Sang Woo?”

Yul and Sang Woo were surprised to find the older Kwon stood at the front of the doorstep with Tiffany behind him. Yul was shocked to find his father.

“Appa!”

He quickly ran towards him and knelt in front of him. Mr Kwon smiled at him.

“You’re awake!”

“I couldn’t bear to lose my other son.”

“Yul..”

Yul stood up and pulled Tiffany into his arms. He embraced her tightly.

“Yul, how could you leave me behind? What were you trying to do?”

“I’m sorry, Tiffany. I couldn’t bear to see another person I care for get hurt because of me.”

“I’m scared, Yul. I’m scared that I’ll lose you.”

The couple were saying sweet nothings to each other; Sang Woo looked on. It irked him so much that his older brother’s family is still happy despite everything else.

“Sang Woo, where did you bury Clara?”

“Why do you want to know?”

“She’s still technically my wife.”

“Your wife was the one who killed your step son! She had an affair with your younger brother and even bore a daughter for him! Why are you still caring so much about her?”

“She made mistakes. And she’s already dead. But she’s still married to me. Her daughter is still under my care.”

“This is why I hate about you. You care too much for others that you don’t really bother about yourself! So many people make use of you! Even your own brother is against you!”

“You turned out like this because of what Father did to you. I don’t agree with his treatment towards you. It was not your fault that you were born.”

“That old man is dead! Don’t mention about him!”

“Sang Woo, you’re still my half brother whether you like it or not. I’ve been trying to help you each time you did a mistake. I covered up for you because I didn’t want you to look bad in front of Father.”

“It didn’t matter, hyung. Father would never be happy no matter what I did. He only cared about you. To him, you’re his only son and I was nothing to him. He was so heartless that he didn’t leave anything for me when he died. He gave everything to you. I worked like slave for him but he gave me nothing! Nothing!”

Sang Woo went amok out of sudden. He then pulled out his gun and pointed to his brother. Yul saw it; and quickly covered his father.

“I cannot believe this. You still have a happy family. Jiyoung loved you but he refused to show it. He even protected you and took the bullet for you. Clara cared about you and refused to leave me because of you. Now Yul wants to protect you because he’s your son. Why is it; why must I be the loser at the end of everything?”

He pulled the trigger. Yul was panicking. He got Tiffany to hide behind him. He stared ahead at his uncle.

“You don’t have to do this. You’ve harmed too many people in your life.”

“Why do you care?”

“You’re my uncle. I’m here to help you; not to hurt or ridicule you further.”

“What?”

“I have never had interest in business. I’m a song writer. I prefer to be carefree than to sit in a office with neck ties and everything. I was really happy when hyung took over Daddy’s company. I rather give up on everything than to be trapped in something that I hate.”

Sang Woo was amused.

“You want to give the company to me?”

“No, I want you to turn over a new leaf. Surrender yourself and do your time. And when you come out, I’ll return the company to you.”

“Are you insane, Kwon Yul?!”

“I’m not insane. I’m trying to help you. I understand why Dad kept shielding you. He loves you. He cares about you the most. No matter what you did to him, Dad will still take you back into his arms. I’m going to be like him. I’m going to take Seohyun in my arms and protect her. GD hyung has left us. I only have Dad, Seohyun and you now. We’re still a family.”

“Are you crazy? You think Seohyun will accept me?!”

“I’m sure she will if you turn over yourself to the police. Seohyun’s a smart girl. She’s going to be a lawyer. She’s going to do your proud, trust me. You just need to be a good father for her. You need to make amends starting from now.”

Sang Woo was glaring at Yul.

“You and your father are insane. Nobody in this Kwon family cares about me!”

“You’re wrong. My father and I care about you.”

“Shut up!”

The man was in rage. He lifted up his gun and pointed at Yul.

“I hate happy endings.”

He walked closer towards his nephew and brother. Tiffany was terrified but Yul held her hand tightly.

“I hate the fact that things don’t go my way.”

Yul couldn’t think anymore. He knew he would never leave his uncle’s place alive.

“One of you would have to die today.”

A gunshot echoed across the room and one fell onto the floor instantly. It was a total chaos.

-