Chapter 24

The Neighbours

“Nichkun said what?”

Jessica and Taeyeon were shocked when Tiffany told them what happened in the office earlier on. Taeyeon’s eyes grew really huge and Jessica was rolling her eyes at Tiffany.

“And you believe his words?!”

Tiffany didn’t dare to look up. Taeyeon slapped her forehead while Jessica was already kneeling down in front of her; ready to shake some senses into her brain.

“Tiffany Hwang, please don’t be an idiot!”

“I’m not. I mean Nichkun has a point. What if Yul’s father cannot accept me?”

“Didn’t Yul say he will work this out with you? He believes in the both of you. He puts his heart and soul in this relationship. Didn’t you tell me that you’re so happy with him?”

“I cannot be selfish, Jessica. Yul’s single and he’s not married yet. He deserves someone better than me. I’m like an excess baggage for him – I have Mason.”

“And Nichkun is not selfish? He left you for some other woman. But he has you under his thumb; controlling you. Up till now, he still has ways to control you! You don’t really love Yul, right?”

“No, I love him. I love him so much, Jessica! But...”

“Then what’s wrong? What’s wrong of having a life with Yul; having the happiness and the most important is; Yul’s willing to take responsibility - sharing it with you so that Mason can grow up in a complete family.”

Taeyeon finally spoke up. Jessica was already nodding in agreement. Tiffany looked on, helpless.

“If you love Yul, then just believe in him and your relationship.”

“Taeyeon, what if it doesn’t work?”

“You haven’t even tried; and you’re already giving up. Can you imagine how Yul would feel if he hears about this?”

Tiffany looked away; her heart was aching so badly. She was so confused with herself.

“This is your happiness, Tiffany. Either you make or break it.”

Jessica stretched her hand out and Tiffany took it. She held on tightly.

“Forget about Nichkun and don’t easily get swayed by his words. If he wants to share custody of Mason, then do it. But just remember, your happiness is no longer with Nichkun.”

Taeyeon was firm.

-

Yoong was lying in the middle of the floor. He was extremely exhausted after the intensive training for the whole day. He didn’t even get to meet his baby.

“Yoong, your stamina is getting stronger.”

Yoong just nodded; he was extremely exhausted.

“You’re doing better. Your body is in good condition.”

Yoong sat up and took a sip from his water bottle. His coach was watching him as Yoong did some warm up exercises to cool down. The muscles on his arm were bulging out.

“Coach, do you think I can win for the upcoming competitions?”

“You’ve always been consistent. You’re our favourite to bring back a medal.”

“That’s a lot of pressure.”

“Yoong, do you remember what I taught you when you came to me on the first day?”

“Yes. The first is to never doubt yourself.”

“Exactly. You must not let yourself be the main obstacle for all your success in your life.”

Yoong has a lot of respect for his coach. He looked up to him like his own father. The coach was the one who trained him from a rookie boxer until he’s a professional boxer right now.

“I always remember your words, Coach. You’re just like a father to me.”

The coach smiled before ruffling Yoong’s hair. He then threw a towel at Yoong.

“Wash up and go home early. I’ll see you tomorrow again.”

“Yes Coach!”

Yoong grabbed his mobile phone from his bag after his coach left him. His baby is no 1 on his speed dial. The lady answered immediately.

“BABY!”

Her sweet voice was melting Yoong’s heart immediately. He misses her so much.

“Hello darling.”

“You’re done with your training?”

“Yeah, I just finished.”

“Have you eaten dinner?”

“No, I was too busy training.”

“Baby, it’s not good to skip your main meals.”

“I’ll eat when I’m home. Are the boys’ home?”

“J-Hope and Hyoyeon ate at our place. Taeyeon cooked for us. But I haven’t seen Yul and Soo Young. Tiffany said Yul’s busy.”

“Ah, yes they are. They have a contract with a recording agency. They have to come up with some song samples.”

“Baby, I’ll pick you up.”

“Huh?”

“We can go for dinner. I want to see you eat something before heading home.”

“I can cook.”

“No way, you’re so tired! Just wash up and wait for me. I’m going to fetch you now.”

“Okay, baby. I’ll see you in 15 minutes time?”

“Yup, I love you darling.”

“Love you too!”

Yoong’s smile was reaching his ears even after Jessica ended the call. He has never felt so much love before.

“I’m so lucky to have Jessica in my life.”

He chuckled as he made his way to the shower room.

-

Soo Young went home with Yul. The pair spent some time together; producing songs for Hyorin. Yul was driving while Soo Young sat in the passenger seat. His mind wandered to Taeyeon.

“What’s up with you?”

Soo Young turned to find Yul looking at him.

“What do you mean?”

“Hyorin was throwing herself at you but you ignored her.”

“We have broken up for a long time. I don’t have any feelings for her.”

“No, you usually have reaction towards women in general even if those women were your ex-girlfriends.”

Soo Young rolled his eyes.

“I’m having an off night.”

Yul’s eyes grew larger.

“Are you serious?”

“Why? A man cannot have an off night?”

“No, a man can. But you cannot.”

“Shut up, Yul. Just because you’ve found a new girlfriend, you can say mean things to me.”

“What mean things? I’m just concerned and curious. You can never stay away from women.”

Soo Young understood what Yul was trying to tell him. He was surprised himself. He was a Casanova; he was extremely popular with ladies. Even Taeyang was surprised when Soo Young didn’t seem to care about Hyorin’s presence.

“Yul, do you love Tiffany?”

“Yes, of course I do.”

“So she was the one you fell in love with?”

“No, it’s not her actually.”

Soo Young turned to him.

“It was Jessica.”

“THAT WITCH?!”

“Can you stop calling that poor lady witch?  She’s Yoong’s girlfriend for god sake.”

“I mean it comes natural for me to call her a witch. But I’m more interested in your story. So why did you shift your attention to Tiffany?”

“Jessica is Yoong’s girlfriend.”

“And you give up your love for your best friend?”

“I’d give up my life for Yoong if I have to.”

Soo Young pouted his lips. Yul was disgusted.

“What’s with that pouting of lips?”

“You never said you’d give up your life for me.”

“Would you?”

“Fine, point taken.”

“Anyway, I’m with Tiffany now. My love for her keeps growing every single day.”

“Well, Yoong and I were surprised with your changes. You’re suddenly so sweet to a girl. The old Yul would run away if the girl stood a good 1.5m from you.”

“Shut up.”

“Are you going to marry her?”

“I have plans to do that.”

“Wait, then your feelings for Jessica?”

“I’ve put them aside. Yoong’s good to her and she seems really happy being with him.”

“Okay, good luck then.”

“Well, I should wish you that instead. I know you have someone in mind because you’re behaving like a wet chicken.”

“Shut up.”

The two men started playfully punching at each other; teasing and irritating the out of each other and both were equally concerned for one another. That’s how strong their friendship is.

-

Yul went to look for Tiffany straight while Soo Young made his way quietly to their apartment. Suddenly he saw Taeyeon looking at him from where she stood. She just came out from his apartment. They looked nervous.

“Hyoyeon needed my help.”

“Oh, okay.”

“I’ll go back now.”

Taeyeon didn’t say much; she just walked past Soo Young without even smiling. Soo Young knew he had done something stupid earlier on for not chasing after her. He caught hold of her hand and Taeyeon stopped in her tracks. But she didn’t look up.

“Taeyeon, I’m sorry.”

Soo Young managed to speak up. But Taeyeon remained lifeless. She was looking away instead.

“I’m really sorry.”

“Why did you say sorry for?”

“I don’t know. I just know I have to apologise.”

“That’s funny. You don’t even know why you apologising for.”

“Taeyeon..”

“Let me go. I have more important things to do.”

Soo Young slowly let go of Taeyeon’s hand. She pulled her hand away and quickly went back into her apartment. Soo Young could only look on; knowing that he had hurt Taeyeon’s feelings.  He was regretting. He should have run after her earlier on.

-

Krystal was listening to her mp3 player when her brother appeared in front of her. She was surprised to find him at her campus.

“What are you doing here?”

“Do you hate me?”

“What rubbish are you talking about now?”

“YOU DIDNT CALL ME!”

J-Hope was literally shouting and Krystal had to cover his mouth shut. Everyone was staring at them.

“Do you mind?! You’re being so gay right now!”

“What?!”

“People would have thought I’m abandoning my gay boyfriend who was whining why I didn’t call him.”

“But you really didn’t call me for the longest time!”

“Fine, I’m sorry. I was so busy with school work.”

“You’re busy with work or girls?”

Krystal smacked his forehead.

“OW!”

“You’re seriously gaining attention from every level. Everyone is looking at us!”

“HI GUYS!”

J-Hope made things worse by waving at the passerby. Krystal kicked him in the . The two siblings bickered once more but J-Hope was enjoying it. He misses his little sister.

“Hey, I’m serious. I really miss you. You didn’t call me.”

“You can always come over.”

“That’s what I’m doing now. Do you have time to eat with me?”

“Urm, can I bring a friend along?”

Her older brother rolled his eyes.

“Please? I promise that I’ll eat with her.”

“So you’re asking me along so that I can pay for the both of you?”

“Hee, you’re indeed my brother!”

“You wanna bring her out for date but making your older brother paying for it?!”

“You wanted to date me out in the first place!”

“Fine, you win. Can we go now? Where is she?”

“She’s finishing soon. I’m waiting for her actually.”

J-Hope sat beside his sister. They were playfully hitting each other and Krystal almost threw her file at him when J-Hope pushed her; she fell off from her seat. She was about to smack him when Seohyun appeared in front of her.

“Krystal Jung, why are you hitting that guy?”

The two siblings turned; Krystal’s face blushed immediately. J-Hope was amused.

“You’re a girl. You cannot hit people just like that!”

“He’s my brother!”

“Oh, well even so, he’s older than you right?”

Krystal nodded.

“Then you should respect him.”

“Yes, unnie. I understand.”

J-Hope’s mouth was wide open. His sister was actually listening to that mysterious girl. He just stared at his sister and earned a knock on his forehead.

“OW!”

“Krystal Jung, what did I say?”

“But unnie, he’s my brother! He always gets beaten up by me.”

“Don’t make me look like I’m useless and hopeless!”

“You are, sometimes.”

J-Hope rolled his eyes at his sister but he greeted Seohyun with a bow. The girl returned it with a smile.

“I’m J-Hope, Krystal’s older brother.”

“I’m Seohyun, Krystal’s roommate.”

“Oh, she’s living with you?”

Krystal glared at her brother. He was grinning away. Seohyun was amused when Krystal hit her brother again but the guy just remained stoic. He just kept edging his little sister.

“You’re equally mischievous too.”

“Heh? I’m just making fun of her. She’s cute sometimes.”

“That’s so sweet.  You must be protective of Krystal.”

“Of course, I am. That’s why I let her bully me all the time.”

“You seem like a reliable older brother.”

“He’s dependable too! If I need him, he’s always there for me.”

“I’m so jealous. I wish I can have a brother like you.”

“You can take me as one.”

“Huh?”

Krystal was glaring at him. She knew her brother was helping her but she was worried that Seohyun might find it weird.

“Well, you’re Krystal’s unnie. You can take me as your brother. I’m not that really excellent but if you need help, I can try to help.”

“Oppa, what are you talking about?”

“I don’t mind!”

Both siblings turned to look at Seohyun.

“I just wanted to have the feeling of having an older brother. That’s okay, right?”

“I’m okay with it. I’m not sure with Krystal.”

Krystal’s eyes grew larger.

“She can get really jealous.”

“Oh?”

“Oppa, what rubbish are you talking about?!”

J-Hope was grinning away while Krystal was panicking. That was really a huge hint to Seohyun but the girl didn’t catch on.

“I won’t get close to him, I promise!”

Krystal rolled her eyes at J-Hope; leaving Seohyun bewildered when Krystal struck her karate chop at her brother once again.

-

“Tiffany?”

Yul let himself in after Taeyeon opened the door for him. The lady avoided him and went straight into her room; leaving Yul wondered what Soo Young did to her. But he was more concerned with Tiffany because his girlfriend was avoiding his calls too earlier in the afternoon.

She only replied to his messages cited that she was busy. He was concerned with her health so he decided to pop by with her favourite food – pizza.

“Tiffany?”

He called out again. He was in front of Tiffany’s room but he didn’t dare to go in. He insisted to wait for Tiffany to open the door much to Taeyeon’s amusement.

“I think she might be sleeping.”

“Oh? Has she eaten?”

“I don’t think so. You know what; I can open the door for you if you don’t mind.”

“I rather you open the door. We’re not married yet so it’s not wise for me to open the door to her room.”

“But you let her into your other apartment.”

“That’s my apartment; it’s a different story.”

Taeyeon was already amused with Yul. She never knew how conservative Yul could get. Nevertheless she opened the door and let Yul in. She literally pushed him in and closed the door behind him.

“Thanks Taeyeon.”

“Sure, no problem.”

Yul spotted his girlfriend sleeping at her working desk. He smiled and sighed. His girlfriend’s too workaholic and sometimes forgot about her own health. He went over to her side and pulled out her spectacles from her face. She remained still; Yul knew she was exhausted.

“You silly girl.”

Yul leaned closer and kissed her forehead. He then slowly put his arm under Tiffany before lifting her up in his arms. She naturally leaned her head closer to his chest; almost kissing his neck. He chuckled softly when he looked down; his girlfriend was like a little child sleeping in his embrace.

He then gently hoisted her up before walking to the bed. Tiffany was mumbling in her sleep but Yul couldn’t make out her words. He put her down on the bed and got her comfortable when suddenly Tiffany mumbled her words. This time, it was loud enough to hear it.

“Yul, I love you but I’m sorry.”

And that got Yul appalled and curious why Tiffany said she was sorry.

-

Yoong was waiting patiently for his girlfriend to pick him up. He put on his headphones and sat on the steps. He was bobbing his head to the music blasting in his ears. He was unaware of someone who was watching him from afar.

Jessica arrived 5 minutes later and Yoong was already smiling widely when he saw her car. He jumped on his feet and waved happily at her.

“Baby!”

He was clearly excited to see Jessica. The lady was quick to embrace him in her arms and he kissed her forehead without hesitation.

“I miss you!”

Yoong was surprisingly very whiny when he was with Jessica.

“Aww, I’m sorry. I was a little late. I dropped J-Hope at Krystal’s school. He wanted to see his sister.”

“Oh, it’s okay. I’m hungry now. Let’s go eat!”

“Okay, what do you want to eat?”

“I’ll drive!”

“Oh?”

“I’ll bring you somewhere which is romantic and the food is superb!”

“Okay, you’re the boss.”

The couple kissed and that someone who was staring at them was smiling. But her smile soon faded when she saw a man approaching Yoong from behind. He was friendly; he hugged Yoong and even shook hands with Jessica.

That someone recognized that person. She thought she has forgotten his face but now it was more vivid than ever.

“Jessica, this is my coach. “

And that someone was stunned when she realized that the man who murdered her husband was the same man who has been coaching her only son – Yoong.

She was horrified.

-