Chapter 34

The Neighbours

“Tiffany, is that your new boyfriend?”

Tiffany’s father stood beside as they watched Mason chasing after the helicopter which Yul was controlling with the remote. Mason looked incredibly happy and he was often jumping onto Yul’s arms. The man quickly picked the boy up and even gave Mason the remote to play with. Tiffany has never seen Mason laughed like that before. Even her father was grinning widely.

“Yes, Daddy. He’s my new boyfriend.”

“Mason likes him.”

“I know, Daddy.”

“Tiffany, your new boyfriend is really something. I have never seen Mason like that before.”

“Daddy, do you approve him?”

Tiffany looked at her father earnestly. Ever since Nichkun’s case, Tiffany’s father was hard on all the guys who dated Tiffany before. Nobody could click with Mason although a few managed to make the boy smile. But nobody came close with Yul.

Mason was naturally sticking to Yul.

“This man has no blood relation with your son but yet Mason sticks to him like as though the guy is his father. How can I not approve? But of course, I need to assess him.”

Tiffany frowned.

“Why do you need to assess him?”

“He looks familiar though.”

“Daddy, he’s the heir to the multi-billion company in Seoul.”

The old man’s jaw dropped.

“Wait, he’s one of the Kwons?!”

Tiffany nodded.

“He’s Kwon Ji Young?”

“No, he’s the younger son and rightful heir – Kwon Yul.”

“Ah, the younger master of the Kwons. You’re really something, Tiffany.”

“Why?”

“I heard he has no girlfriends before.”

Tiffany smiled widely.

“I’m his first!”

Tiffany was sure proud of that.

-

“Hi, Mr Hwang. My name is Kwon Yul. You can call me Yul.”

Yul formally introduced himself to Tiffany’s father. The whole family was there. Mr Hwang invited his relatives to come over for dinner. Tiffany was furious when she realized how hard her father was going to corner Yul but Yul remained unfazed.

“Kwon Yul, what do you do for a living?”

Tiffany shot a look at her father; the old man ignored her.

“I’m a songwriter.”

“Song-writer? “

“I’m sure Tiffany has told you about my other history. But I’m a full-pledged songwriter.”

“So, you’re the softie at heart?”

Tiffany’s older sister, Michelle was obviously curious about her baby sister’s new boyfriend.

“Unnie!”

“What? He looks soft.”

“Soft is not the word. He’s gentle!”

“Oh, okay fine. I used the wrong word but Yul’s extremely gentle.”

For some reason, Tiffany knew her family was going to go hard on Yul and the man was aware too. He was nervously awkward but he tried his best to keep up with the questions threw to him. Each one of the relative took turns to ask him. Yul answered confidently.

All except for one person were impressed with his mannerisms. But one guy kept locking his eyes on Yul which made Yul felt a little uneasy. Tiffany rolled her eyes.

“Leo, can you stop it?”

But her brother who was just a year older ignored her. He leaned closer and demanded Yul’s attention. The man turned to him immediately.

“Tiffany’s my baby sister. I almost killed that jerk for hurting her. And I’m protective of my nephew, Mason. If you want to marry my sister, just be prepared to have me breathing down your neck if they turn up at our home one day; hurting and everything.”

“LEO!”

“Shut up, Tiffany. I’ve had enough of guys hurting you. I won’t treat this one nice either although the other family members seemed to like him.”

Tiffany knew how much her brother loves her; cares for her and he’s the one who’s overly protective of her – not her father apparently.

“He’s new to the family. Please don’t scare him like that.”

“Why do I care? I promised Mom that I would take good care of you. She was expecting me to look after you so that she could depart this world peacefully.”

Leo could remember clearly of his mother’s last words to him. Tiffany was moved; she loves her brother a lot so she ran towards him and hugged Leo tightly.

“I know. I know you made a promise to Mom that you’ll look out for me but I promise you, I’ll be happy.”

“You have no idea how much I hate that Nichkun jerk.”

“I know.”

Yul suddenly stood up and bowed to Leo. Tiffany stared at him.

“Yul?”

He shook his head and put his finger on Tiffany’s lips to silence her. He then turned to Leo and nodded his head as he smiled widely.

“I understand your position as an older brother to have a baby sister like Tiffany. I have a step sister whom I care a lot even though we might not have the same mother. I’m just like you; protecting my little sister and I hate it when she’s all sick or even upset.  And my late mother made me promise her that I should always protect my loved ones in the best capacity that I could. That’s why I’m protective of my step sister; my step mother; my step brother and my father. We’re all one family and I know that family is really important in your life.”

Leo looked on; he was truly impressed with Yul but he was not going to go easy still. Tiffany’s eyes were watery. She caught hold of Yul’s hand and squeezed it tightly.

“And now I’m so in love with your baby sister, Tiffany. I know it’s going to be hard for me to integrate with her family as I’m aware of her past history. I’m sure everyone is here tonight because they care so much for Tiffany.  I’m not afraid to answer everyone because my feeling towards Tiffany is sincere. I want to stop her pain. I want to erase her unhappy memories. And I know I’ll have to take one step at a time.”

Tiffany’s father was watching Yul carefully now. Michelle’s eyes were glistening. Leo kept his glare straight at Yul. Even the relatives were watching him with awe.

“I’ll take good care of Tiffany. I’ll take Mason as my own son. I know my responsibility as a new father to Mason so give me a chance to shower him with love and attention just like how a father should be. And as for Tiffany, I’ll stay by her side. I’m not leaving her. The only thing that can tear us apart is death.”

“Yul...”

Tiffany was crying so Yul pulled her closer into his embrace. Suddenly he felt tugging on his right – Mason was pulling his pants so Yul knelt down and looked deep into the little boy’s eyes.

“Yes, Mason?”

“Can we play the other toys that you’ve given me today after dinner?”

“Sure, why not?”

“Then after dinner, can you promise me something?”

“What is it, Mason?”

Mason threw a shy smile at him.

“Can you sleep in my room?”

Leo was surprised. He was the one who used to put Mason to sleep all the time.

“Oh? Are you sure about this?”

“I like you.”

Yul smiled before picking up Mason in his arms. He looked at the little guy; even though he could see an exact replica of Nichkun; he was certain Mason was nothing like his father.

“I like you too.”

Mason gave him a wide smile before throwing his arms around Yul’s neck. He hugged Yul tightly. And Tiffany burst into tears; watching Yul kissing Mason’s forehead tenderly. The Hwangs were moved to tears. Mason has certainly changed a lot.

And Leo was convinced that Yul’s the one – the one guy who could make his baby sister happy for her lifetime.

-

Tiffany was folding Mason’s clothes in his room; Mason was playing with Yul. They had a lot of fun after dinner; Mason roped Leo in and the three boys were playing the toys Yul bought for Mason. Now the little guy was exhausted so Yul took him in.

“He’s asleep. Where do I put him?”

Tiffany looked up to find her guy was carrying her son in his arms; waiting for her to point out Mason’s bed.

“His bed is over here.”

“Okay.”

Yul gently placed the boy down on his bed and pulled the comforter over the little guy. Mason mumbled in his sleep but Yul was quick to appease him.  When he was convinced that Mason was soundly asleep; he planted a kiss on his forehead.

“Sweet dreams, Mason.”

Tiffany looked on; tears once again found her. She smiled as tears fell free-flowing down to her cheeks. Yul saw them and went over to her. He sat on the floor with her; shifted himself behind Tiffany. He then wrapped his arms around Tiffany before leaning on the back of her shoulders.

“Why are you crying, my love?”

“You made me cry.”

“Oh? So I’m the bad guy?”

Tiffany leaned her back against his chest. Yul was playing with her fingers.

“No, you’re more than just a man to me.”

“Hmm?”

“You’re my heaven sent, Kwon Yul.”

Yul kissed her on the cheek.

“You’re my angel, Hwang Mi Young.”

“Don’t ever leave me, Yul. I don’t think I can live a day without you.”

Yul tightened his grip around her and gave her a long lingering kiss. Tiffany was caught up in her kiss as well before she cupped her palms on his cheeks. The lingering kiss became a little bit passionate; a little bit rough and soon, Tiffany was pinned to the floor.

Their lips were still intact before Yul slowly pulled away. He was hovering above her and Tiffany placed her hands on his chest. The man was looking deep into her eyes.

He saw the confidence she has in him.

He could see the security of his love makes her stronger than she used to be before.

He smiled before kissing her lips again.

“How can I leave when the only reason I’m living is you?”

He then playfully planted kisses along her jaw line. She eased herself to the side so that Yul could have access to her neck.

“What will I do if I lose you, Tiffany? Do you have any idea what I would do?”

“Hmm?”

He pulled her chin to align her eyes with his. They were staring straight at each other.

“I will die if my life has no you.”

Tiffany listened as Yul declared his undying love for her.

“And if I have to die in your place, I’ll do it.”

“Don’t say that.”

“I’m just telling you. I’m going to protect you and Mason now. I’m not letting you go, Tiffany.”

Tiffany didn’t say anything. She just expressed her love with a kiss.

-

Soo Young was walking with Taeyeon; side by side. They were laughing away; Soo Young was in his playful mood and Taeyeon was obviously enjoying the short attention Soo Young gave to her. The pair was on their way to get some stuff for the injured squirrel in Soo Young’s hotel room.

“We’re here.”

They finally reached to a pet store. Taeyeon immediately went for the hamster’s section. Soo Young followed behind her. They stopped in front of the foods.

“Okay, there are some melon seeds which we can give to Squirry.”

Soo Young was frowning away. He was actually unsure of something.

“Taeyeon, I’m going to ask you a stupid question.”

Taeyeon looked at him warily.

“What do squirrels eat in the first place?”

Taeyeon stared at him. Soo Young was scratching his head; probably felt like an idiot with that dumb question. He felt like slapping himself when Taeyeon suddenly burst into her trademark laugh – ahjumma’s laugh.

“What’s so funny?”

“You do know squirrels eat nuts, right?”

“Oh, don’t they eat insects?”

“They prefer staple food will be walnuts or any kind of nuts.”

“So they are like hamsters too?”

“Hamsters eat nuts too. But Squirry won’t be able to eat properly because of the medication. So I think melon seeds would be good.”

“Ah, I see. Okay, I got that.”

He grabbed a couple more of melon seeds and went to find a sleeping area for Squirry. Taeyeon followed him from behind and grabbed some blanket which meant for cats and dogs.

“You can just put him in a basket with these blankets. They will keep him warm. You don’t have to buy a dog carrier for him. Are you planning to take him home with you back to Seoul?”

“I want to bring you home instead.”

Soo Young was mumbling his words and Taeyeon couldn’t hear properly.

“What did you say?”

“I mean, why not?”

“Don’t be silly, Soo Young. The airport wouldn’t let him through!”

“I know that; I was just kidding.”

“You’re such a child sometimes. We have to get back soon. The anaesthetic would wear off soon and Squirry will wake up any time now.”

“Oh alright, I’ll pay. Let’s go then.”

Soo Young paid for the purchase and both walked back to the hotel together. They were walking side by side again; Taeyeon was slightly ahead of Soo Young.  The stupid man was trailing behind because he was contemplating if he should confess to Taeyeon now.

He watched as Taeyeon’s hands kept swinging back and forth. He wanted to capture those small hands and he wanted to hold them protectively. He wanted to so desperately but he chickened out each time he put out his hand to hold hers. He hammered his fists into his forehead while cursing himself for being a coward.

Suddenly two men swiftly approached Taeyeon and caught hold of her arms. They were dragging her away and Soo Young was stunned for a second.

“Let me go!”

“Shut up, woman if you want to live!”

“Hey, let her go!”

The two men were momentarily shocked to find Soo Young running after them. They thought Taeyeon was alone. They started running; pulling Taeyeon with them. Soo Young chased after them.

“Soo Young!”

“Taeyeon!”

Taeyeon was terrified; Soo Young could see them clearly. He started to feel scared; he started to think of the worse. What if they kill Taeyeon; then his love would go unexpressed?

“!”

Soo Young cursed when he realized how terrified he was; just imagining living a life without Taeyeon – he didn’t think he could do it.

He ran as fast as he could. He wasn’t athletic unlike Yul and Yoong. He suddenly hates himself for being so unfit but he was not going to give up just like that. The two men ran towards a building which looked abandoned.  One of them was carrying Taeyeon on his back; Soo Young was still chasing them.

They ran up the stairs; Soo Young followed. They threw things at him; Soo Young ducked. Then for some reason, their exit was sealed; they couldn’t run anymore. So they turned around and Soo Young was forced to face them. They threw Taeyeon aside; she was wincing in pain.

“Taeyeon!”

Soo Young tried to run over her but before he could reach to her; someone kicked him in the chest. Soo Young fell to the ground.

“You’re such a pain in the ! I think we have to kill you first before the girl.”

Soo Young looked up to find them taking out something from their pockets. One was holding a gun while the other was armed with a knife. Soo Young finally realized they meant business. But he gathered his courage and ran in front of Taeyeon. He squared up his body; protecting Taeyeon from them.

“You can have me but leave her alone!”

“How can we? She’s so hot!”

Soo Young was annoyed at the way the man was lusting over his Taeyeon. Taeyeon was trembling with fear; she hid her face behind Soo Young’s back. The man knew he had to stand on his ground – Taeyeon needed him.

“What do you want from us?”

“What else do you think we want?”

“I’ll give you the money if that’s what you want!”

“We want that girl too.”

They tried to come closer but Soo Young somehow managed to grab a chair on his side and swung at them. It hit one of them and Soo Young carried Taeyeon over his back. He ran off when the two robbers were distracted.

“! It hit my eye!”

“, they’re running away! Let’s get them!”

“I’m going to kill that bastard and that !”

Soo Young could hear them; he was terrified. Soo Young was never the fighter but because of Taeyeon; he knew he had to be stronger and braver. Taeyeon, on the other hand, was terrified for Soo Young’s safety. But she was too traumatised.

“Hang on, Taeyeon. I’ll get you to safety.”

Soo Young kept running; the two men were hot on his heels. He glanced behind and he could see them; getting nearer to him and Taeyeon. Soo Young knew he had to get Taeyeon to safety; there was no way he was going to compromise Taeyeon’s life to this.

“.”

Soo Young’s legs were getting weary.  But hearing Taeyeon’s soft sobs made Soo Young realized that the woman on his back needed him. He couldn’t fail her. But his legs were betraying him. They were never used for running and he cursed at himself. 

But suddenly at the corner of his eyes, he saw their hotel. He changed his course and ran towards the building when he saw Dr Henney was getting into his car. The conference must be over so Soo Young picked up his speed. He ran across the busy road; the robbers had to stop to avoid getting hit by the incoming traffic.

Soo Young plucked up all his courage and jumped in front of the car; Dr Henney was almost cursed.

“What the ...”

“Hey you! Open the door!”

Soo Young was shouting at him; Dr Henney got out from the car and saw Taeyeon behind him.

“Dr Kim? What are you doing to her?!”

“Take her with you.”

“Huh?”

“We’re being chased by robbers. Hurry, get her to safety!”

Soo Young didn’t wait for Dr Henney to reply him. He pulled out the car door and deposited Taeyeon in the passenger seat. Taeyeon held on to his arms tightly.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m going to distract them.”

“No! It’s too dangerous!”

“I’ll be fine.”

“Soo Young!”

“Listen, Taeyeon. I’ll be fine. I promise. I have a lot of things that I need to tell you. Just be safe for now, okay?”

He pulled himself away from Taeyeon and closed the car door. The girl was staring at him in horror as he smiled and waved at her.

“Get in and drive off!”

“Wait, you can go with us!”

“No, they will follow us that way. I’ll distract them. Where’s the nearest police station?”

“It’s just down the road. I can drive you there!”

“No! You just need to keep Taeyeon away from harm. I’ll find you later. Now go!”

Soo Young pushed Dr Henney back into his car and got him to drive off. The robbers were still searching for him.  But at least Dr Henney’s car was already moving away from the scene.  The robbers spotted him and came running after him.

Soo Young took off yet again but he didn’t run into the hotel for safety. He ran down to the police station instead.

“, legs! Don’t give up on me now!”

He ran with all his might.

-

Jessica’s last patient has left and Luna left shortly after. Jessica decided to stay behind as she needed to complete some paper work. She wasn’t ready to return home as both Taeyeon and Tiffany were out of the country at the moment. Yoong was busy with his training and the couple hardly had time for each other.

She was busy typing on her laptop when she heard a soft knock on her front door of her clinic. She knew it was locked because Luna would lock it first for Jessica’s safety since she would be in her office. She walked out and was surprised to find Mrs Im at the front door. She quickly opened the door.

“Mrs Im? What are you doing here?”

“I was hoping I could still get you. It’s almost 7 plus. Why aren’t you home yet?”

“I have some paper work to do.”

“Oh, have you eaten dinner then?”

“No, not yet.”

“Great, do you want to eat with me?”

Mrs Im was smiling at her. Jessica was pleasantly surprised. Mrs Im’s smile reminded her of her dorky boyfriend. She suddenly misses him.

“Sure, I’ll pack up. Give me a minute.”

“Sure, I’ll wait here.”

Jessica quickly packed up her stuff and both went off for dinner after Jessica locked up the door. They were just going to the nearby restaurant. Jessica chose a Japanese restaurant.

“I’ll be paying.”

“Huh? That’s not nice of me.”

“Don’t worry; you’re Yoong’s mother so you’re just like a mother to me.”

Mrs Im smiled and nodded. Jessica was surprised that the lady accepted her excuse.

“I’m so glad Yoong found a nice girl like you.”

“I’m even luckier to have Yoong in my life. He makes me really happy.”

“Why didn’t he pick you up today?”

“He’s busy with his training.”

Jessica was careful with her words as she looked at the lady warily. She didn’t want to spoil her mood but to her surprise, the lady just nodded her head.

“When’s his competition?”

“In December.”

“I see.”

The lady stopped talking and started flipping the menu. Jessica did the same. She was meticulously browsing through when she heard Mrs Im spoke up.

“I hope I can stop him by then.”

Jessica put the menu away; surprised with the random statement.

“Mrs Im, you’re going to stop him from the competition?”

“Yes, I’m going to stop my son from taking part in that competition.”

“Mrs Im, may I know why are you so determined to stop Yoong from becoming a boxer?”

“I thought I told you before?”

“Yes you did but Yoong’s really good in what he’s doing. He’s representing the country. It would be unfair if you want to stop him just like that.”

“So it was fair for me that boxing took my husband’s life away?”

“Mrs Im, that’s not what I meant.”

“Jessica, I cannot let that man takes my son away like how he took my husband away.”

Jessica was confused.

“I found the man who killed my husband, Jessica.”

“What?”

“And that man is the same man who’s training Yoong to be a professional boxer!”

Jessica was stumped.

“You mean his coach?”

“Yes! The man you saw with Yoong is the killer!”

“Wait, are you certain about this?”

“Jessica, I’m actually here to ask you for help.”

“What is it, Mrs Im?”

“Can you persuade Yoong to give up boxing?”

Jessica looked on.

“He will listen to you!”

Jessica was perplexed.

-

Jessica was lying on her bed. Her mind was swarmed with information that Mrs Im was providing her. It turned out that her boyfriend’s coach was the man responsible for Yoong’s father’s death. It was so complicated and Jessica was having migrane just thinking about it.

“What’s with my baby?”

She was startled by the sudden intrusion. She turned around to find her boyfriend at her bedroom door. She frowned.

“How did you get in?”

“J-Hope opened the door for me. He said you looked troubled. Indeed you are.”

This time, Yoong was frowning when he saw his girlfriend’s wrinkled forehead.

“I’m just tired. I’m fine, baby.”

“What’s wrong? You’re not smiling at me today.”

“I was shocked. You suddenly spoke up without letting your presence known.”

“Oh, did I scare you?”

“What do you think?”

“Im sowieee~”

Yoong was putting on his aegyo again. Jessica could never resist it. Now he was giving her his pitiful eyes and quivery lips. Jessica gave up.

“Ya, stop doing that. You know you can melt me with your aegyo.”

“Is it working?”

“Maybe.”

“I’m just worried about you. I cannot concentrate on my training when I couldn’t talk to you. You know how difficult it was for me. Then I returned home just to come face to face with my girlfriend’s wrinkled forehead.”

“HEY!”

Jessica jabbed him in the rear and the man winced in pain. He raised both hands to surrender but Jessica took advantage by pulling him for a hug. Yoong obliged willingly.

“This is more like it.”

“I miss you, baby.”

Jessica really misses him a lot. She whined and Yoong pulled her closer.

“What’s wrong?”

“I really miss you so much.”

“Me too. But are you really alright? You seem troubled.”

“You can sense it?”

“You’re my girlfriend. I know when you’re having troubles; you’ll get really clingy and whiny.”

“Shut up.”

“Well, I don’t mind though but I don’t like to see my girlfriend in distress. What’s on your mind, Jessica?”

Jessica pondered. Should she tell him? But his mother would scold her if she did. Mrs Im was adamant not to let Yoong know the truth of his father’s death. Yoong was observing Jessica’s weary face and he knew something was really giving his girlfriend pressure.

“Is this about work?”

Jessica nodded.

“I’m not going to ask further if you don’t wish to tell me but I can do what you want me to do.”

“Can you stay with me tonight?”

“In your room, alone?”

Jessica nodded.

“J-Hope’s going to kill me if he knows I’m sleeping in his sister’s room.”

“Then I’ll kill him in return if he touches you.”

“Woah, I was just kidding about that.”

“No, I’m serious about it though.”

Yoong was worried. Jessica was too serious for her own good.

“I’ll lie down here; beside you. But can I at least take a shower? I stink.”

“Sure, I’ll get you a towel.”

“Huh? I’m going to shower here?”

“Yes, you’re not leaving this house at all tonight.”

Yoong swallowed hard.

-