Chapter 45

The Neighbours

“Soo Young?”

Taeyeon woke up from her sleep. Her boyfriend wasn’t in his room. The wheelchair was missing as well.

“Where did this boy go?”

Taeyeon took out her phone and dialled for his number. A ringing tone could be heard. Soo Young didn’t bring his phone along.

“Aish, this guy! He’s always making me worried for him!”

Taeyeon got up from the sofa and went over to his bed. Then she saw something. A drawing paper on his bed with a message – “GO DOWN TO THE PARK WHEN YOU WAKE UP.”

Taeyeon was frowning away. What was he doing now? What is he doing in the park? Nevertheless, Taeyeon made her way down to the park nearby the hospital. She could see patients in wheelchairs; moving along with their family members pushing them from behind. But there was no Soo Young.

“Where is this guy?”

Taeyeon was a little annoyed. She was worried sick for his safety. Suddenly someone was pulling her skirt. She looked down to find a little cute boy carrying a balloon. Taeyeon knelt down beside him.

“Yes?”

“Are you Taeyeon noona?”

“Yes, I am.”

The little boy smiled at her and gave her the balloon. Taeyeon took it from him and the boy immediately ran off. Taeyeon was a little surprised but realized there was a card attached at the bottom of the string tied to the balloon. She took out the card and saw another message – “GO TO THE NEARBY POND RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PARK.”

“What is this guy doing?”

Taeyeon was annoyed now. But she still made her way down to the pond located in the middle of the park.  There were less people there and Taeyeon moved closer towards the pond. Suddenly she saw Soo Young was in his wheelchair. He was waiting for her at the middle bridge. Taeyeon jogged towards him.

“Hi baby, you found me!”

“What the heck are you doing in the middle of the pond under the hot sun like this?”

“Did Baekhyun gave you the card?”

“Baekhyun?”

“The little boy who gave you the balloon?”

“Ah, yes he did. That’s why I’m here.”

“Isn’t he a cutie?”

“What?”

“The little guy is cute right?”

“Yes he is. Is he related to you?”

“Not really, I met him just half an hour ago.”

“What are you doing, Soo Young? Why aren’t you in your room resting?”

“I got bored. And you were sleeping.”

“You could have waked me up.”

“You slept so soundly. I couldn’t disturb you. So I went out for awhile.”

Taeyeon sighed in relief. At least Soo Young was fine. She went over to him and knelt down in front of him. She looked at him; the man just smiled at her.

“I was so worried when I couldn’t see you.”

Soo Young smiled as he pulled his girlfriend closer. He hugged her and kissed her on the forehead.

“I miss you.”

“I miss you too.”

“I just needed to have some time alone. I was thinking of something.”

“What is it?”

“You must have been terrified when you heard I was shot.”

Taeyeon nodded.

“I was. I couldn’t wait to rush to the hospital. I even left without my shoes on. Jessica took my shoes for me. A lot went through my mind. I couldn’t lose you. I was not willing to let you leave me.”

“I’m sorry.”

Taeyeon shook her head.

“No, you don’t have to say sorry. You kept yourself alive. And now you’re right here with me.”

“Taeyeon, I have been thinking a lot lately.”

“Hmm?”

“I don’t want to live like this anymore.”

“Huh?”

“I cannot live like this, Taeyeon. This is wrong.”

“What’s wrong with your life right now?”

Soo Young gripped on to his wheelchair handle tightly. He stood up; Taeyeon was supporting him by hugging his waist.

“There’s something wrong with my life. I have been wasting it.”

“What are you talking about, Soo Young?”

Soo Young sighed before going down on one knee. The little boy earlier on appeared out of nowhere once again. And this time, he came with a small cushion in his hands. There was a gift box as well. Taeyeon watched as the boy came closer to Soo Young. He gave the gift box to Soo Young.

“What are you doing?”

Soo Young took out a diamond ring from the gift box. He then held Taeyeon’s hand out and kissed the top of her palm. He caressed gently before looking up to meet his girlfriend’s eyes.

“I know this is too sudden. But I’ve wasted my life away all this while. I should have started a relationship with you a long time ago but I was too blind to see that.”

“Soo Young..”

“I’m ready now, Taeyeon. I’m ready to start a new life with you.”

“Soo Young, are you...”

Taeyeon couldn’t continue her words when Soo Young suddenly smiled at her. He put his finger on her lips and her eyes glistened with tears.

“Yes, I’m going to ask you to marry me. My life starts with you and I’m going to end my living days with you as well. I want to have a family with you. I want to open my eyes in the morning with you by my side; I want to hold you at night when I sleep. So, Taeyeon, I know this is too sudden but I’m going to ask anyway.”

Soo Young took a deep breath.

“Kim Taeyeon, will you marry me?”

Taeyeon looked at him; her eyes were filled with tears. She loves this man so much. She could never love another man just like how she loves this man. She nodded and Soo Young was elated. He quickly slipped the ring into her finger and lifted her off the ground.

“YA~”

“You’re going to be Mrs Choi now!”

“What are you doing? Put me down!”

Soo Young was too delighted to put her down. He turned around and Taeyeon was surprised to find his whole family was smiling and laughing; Minho was putting his two thumbs up.

“DADDY, SHE’S MARRYING ME!”

Mr Choi could only laugh. His mother was clapping for him and Taeyeon was embarrassed.

“My family wants me to marry you.”

“Oh? So this is your family’s proposal, not yours?”

Soo Young frowned.

“No, of course it’s mine! Ever since we got together in England, I’ve always wanted to marry you. I even called Minho and Seunghyun hyung to get the ring ready for me.”

Taeyeon blushed and smiled sheepishly.

“I love you, Kim Taeyeon.”

“I love you too, Choi Soo Young.”

The couple embraced their love into the next level.  Soo Young suddenly felt a nudge and he glanced down. The little boy was staring at him. He put Taeyeon down and lifted the little guy up in his arms instead.

“Baekhyun, samchon is going to marry this yimu. Are you happy for me?”

The boy nodded his head. Taeyeon ruffled his hair gently.

“Whose child did you kidnap, Choi Soo Young?”

“I didn’t kidnap him. He’s a patient here.”

“Oh? Where are his parents?”

Soo Young smiled.

“I don’t have appa and omma.”

The boy spoke up. Taeyeon was taken aback; she was embarrassed but Soo Young held her hand tightly.

“I got to know him just now. He was born with Aids and his parents are dead.”

Taeyeon was shocked.

“He survives on medication and it’s going to be a lifetime medication for him. But he’s such a poor child. He has no parents and nobody has claimed him since his parents were gone. The hospital couldn’t send him to the orphanage because of his condition. So he has been staying here ever since he was born.”

Baekhyun looked away. He might be only 3 but he knew that look on Taeyeon’s face. People always pitied him. They always felt sorry for him but nobody dared to hold him. In fact, Soo Young was the first one who bravely held him without hesitation.

“Yimu don’t have to feel sorry for me.”

Taeyeon looked at him.

“Baekhyun is a strong boy.”

Taeyeon smiled and shook her head.

“I’m not feeling sorry for you. I’m amazed at how strong you are. I don’t think I can ever be like you.”

The boy tilted his head sideways; puzzled with Taeyeon’s statement.

“You’re older than me.”

“Yes, but you’re stronger in mind.”

“Baekhyun ah, you’re brave; braver than anyone out there.  I was thinking; do you want to stay with me and yimu?”

Taeyeon turned to Soo Young immediately. She was a little puzzled with Soo Young’s suggestion.

“Taeyeon, I was thinking of adopting Baekhyun as my son. He has nobody to look after him. I have grown attached with him in such a short period of time.”

“Are you sure about this, Soo Young?”

Soo Young was a little worried that Taeyeon might not agree. He looked at her cautiously.

“I have never been so serious in my life before. My parents support my decision. You’re the only person I worry that might not agree with me.”

Taeyeon smiled. She then took Baekhyun from Soo Young as she cuddled the young boy in her arms tightly.

“Baekhyun, do you want to have a Mommy?”

The boy nodded his head innocently.

“Do you want me to be your Mommy?”

Soo Young was speechless; his eyes were larger than they were before. But Taeyeon just concentrated on Baekhyun. The little guy hesitated but eventually nodded.

“Can you?”

“Of course I can. We can be your new Mommy and Daddy if you want us to.”

Baekhyun’s face lighted up immediately. He hugged Taeyeon tightly as Soo Young was still speechless. Taeyeon finally looked at him.

“Baekhyun wants us to be his parents. What do you think, Mr Choi?”

“You agree, Mrs Choi?”

“I’m going to marry you. I’m going to be your wife. And I love the idea of adopting Baekhyun as our son. He needs love and care. I’m sure we’ll make good parents to him.”

Soo Young was ecstatic. He pulled Taeyeon and Baekhyun into a big hug.

“Kim Taeyeon, you’re an extraordinary lady. I’m so glad I have you.”

“Choi Soo Young, you’re the most heartwarming guy I have ever met. I’m so honoured to you have you as my husband.”

It was really a happy occasion for the newly engaged couple.

-

“Wait, wait, WHAT?!”

Jessica was screaming at the top of her lungs. Soo Young and Taeyeon invited their friends for dinner. They wanted to share this good news with them.

“Oh my god, are you serious?!”

Tiffany was hyperventilating. Their boyfriends were calmer as compared to the ladies but the moment Soo Young settled down beside them, they whacked him on his back.

“OW!”

“Dude, you’re getting married?!”

Yul was scowling at him.

“What’s with that weird expression?”

“You’re getting married?!”

“I don’t have the marriage material look or what?”

“You were such a playboy!”

Soo Young rolled his eyes at Yul. Taeyeon was eyeing him for some reason.

“Can you shut up? My fiancée is looking at me weirdly now! Thanks to your big mouth!”

“No offence, dude. You were really the ladies’ man.”

“WERE. PAST TENSE!”

“Choi Soo Young, are you sure it’s past tense?”

Taeyeon was teasing him.

“Baby, I’m going to marry you and we’re going to have a son as well. You don’t believe me?”

Yul and Yoong were sniggering at him. Jessica was playfully chiding Yoong for making fun of Soo Young. The man was surprised.

“You’re defending me?”

“Why Soo Young? I cannot do that?”

“You had the worst impression of me, remember?”

“Well, I did. But I think you’re fine now. You’re marrying my best friend. I’ve never seen Taeyeon smile so much in whole entire life before.”

“Yeah, Jessica’s right. And to adopt the poor boy who has Aids, that’s pretty amazing. I’m so impressed with you, Soo Young.”

Tiffany added on.

“Well, all this is because of Taeyeon. She taught me so much about life. But of course, I want to have my own child with her.”

Taeyeon blushed immediately and the two other guys were making wolf whistles at Soo Young. It was a happy occasion and dinner was splendid. They settled down with wine in the night. The mood changed slightly.

“I’m so glad that the incident has gone passed us. It was really hellish for a moment.”

Yoong suddenly spoke up. The rest of the group agreed. Yul was sighing away; Tiffany moved closer to him.

“Baby, it’s over. It has been six months.”

“I know. I miss Jiyoung hyung.”

“I understand, baby.”

Tiffany hugged him tightly. It was definitely crazy for Yul and his family.

“How’s Seohyun coping now?”

Taeyeon suddenly asked.

“She’s doing better now. I have to thank Krystal for keeping her sane.”

“She suffered the most, Yul. She has to find out about her real father and saw him shoot himself in the head with her own eyes. And then to find out that her mom killed herself in the same manner too. She broke down so quickly.”

Jessica offered her sympathies.

“I agreed with that, Jessica. She had a hard time coping with the harsh terms. She even wanted to run away from us few months ago. But Krystal found her and got her back to us.”

“Krystal really loves her.”

“I’m just glad Krystal managed to convince her to go for treatment. I couldn’t thank you enough, Jessica for treating her.”

Jessica smiled.

“She’s your sister and my sister’s girlfriend. We all know Seohyun’s innocent. She’s feeling a lot better now as compared to the first time I attended to her.”

-

“Don’t come nearer! I swear I’ll shoot myself!”

“Okay, okay. Please calm down, Kwon Sang Woo. We can talk about this.”

The police came in time. Inspector Jeong shot Kwon Sang Woo on his knees. The man fell immediately but then turned the gun to his temple instead. Now the police was trying to calm him down. Yul was doing the same too.

“Uncle, calm down!”

“Shut up!”

“Listen, we can change this. You don’t have to kill yourself. You cannot die and leave us. Jiyoung hyung and omma have left us.”

“What’s the left for me, huh? There’s nothing for me anymore, Yul!”

“You still have us! And you still have Seohyun!”

Just then, Seohyun came running into the house with Krystal, Jessica and Yoong. She stopped in her tracks when she heard her name.

“Seohyun’s your daughter, Uncle. You still have responsibility to deal with.”

“Seohyun? She was born to the wrong father. I’m not fit to be her father.”

Seohyun was stunned.

“Kwon Sang Woo is my father?”

She was mumbling but it was loud enough for Yul to hear. He was stunned to find his step sister standing at the doorway.

“Seohyun!”

“Oppa, is he really my father?”

“Seohyun..”

“TELL ME! IS HE REALLY MY FATHER?!”

Yul couldn’t bear to watch his sister breaking down. He just held her tighter but Seohyun refused. She pushed him away and ran towards her father who was sitting on the wheelchair.

“Daddy, you’re my father, right? Tell me this is a lie! Tell me you’re my real father. That man is not my father, right?”

“Seohyun, my child.”

“Daddy! He’s not my father, right?!”

“Seohyun, as much as I want to deny but I cannot. The blood that flows in you is his.”

Seohyun was devastated. She wanted to deny it. She turned to look at Kwon Sang Woo. The man was too ashamed to even lift up his head.

“Why? Why did you do this? Why did my mother chose to do this with you?”

Sang Woo kept his silence.

“Where is my mother?”

“Seohyun, I need to tell you something.”

Yul decided to break the news to her instead. He held his sister in her arms and cuddled her.

“Seohyun, no matter what happen, you’re still my sister. I love you. And I’ve never stop. Jiyoung oppa felt the same way too. He has been hiding this truth from us because he loves us and he loves you the most.”

“Omma has an affair with this man. How can I be your sister when she was the one who shot Jiyoung oppa?”

“Seohyun, how did you find out?”

“I was outside all this while. I didn’t dare to go in; Krystal stopped me from leaving. I overheard everything. I know Omma’s dead. She shot herself, right? I overheard everything.”

“Seohyun...”

“I’m a murderer’s daughter. I’m this wicked man’s daughter. I have wicked blood in me!”

“No, you don’t! You’re different from them!”

“Oppa, don’t try to make me feel better. I’m ashamed of my parents.”

Kwon Sang Woo slowly looked up and stared at his daughter. She was crying her eyes out. He felt sorry for her. He felt guilty for putting his daughter though this. She was born to the wrong set of parents.

“I’m sorry.”

He murmured softly. Seohyun glared at him.

“I’ve done nothing as your father. You can don’t accept me as your father. I don’t deserve to be called Daddy by you.”

“I hate you.”

“I understand. I’ve buried Clara beside Yul’s mother, hyung.”

“You did?”

“Yes, hyung. Please take good care of my daughter, hyung.”

“Sang Woo, what are you trying to say?”

“I don’t fit to live anymore. I don’t think I can. Seohyun, please forget me. Please forgive your mother.”

Without hesitation, SangWoo pressed the nozzle of the gun onto his forehead and shot himself. Seohyun watched with horror as the bullet pierced through Sang Woo’s skull and burst through the other side of his skull. He fell dead onto the floor; eyes wide open.

Yul was stunned, Krystal was equally shocked and Tiffany could only shed tears. It was such a sad night for Seohyun especially.

She lost both parents just like that.

-

Krystal was peeping at Seohyun who was still sleeping on the bed. She was worried for her girlfriend. Ever since that horrible night, Seohyun just kept quiet most of the time. She couldn’t attend classes and would only cry to sleep every night.

Krystal was extremely worried for her. So she asked Jessica to check on Seohyun. It took her months before Seohyun allowed her back into her life. Krystal slowly crept into Seohyun’s life; her patience paid off.

“Seohyun, I love you.”

She whispered softly.

-