Chapter 25

The Neighbours

Tiffany stirred in her sleep. She could feel the sun rays heating up on her face. She was forced to wake up and she did; opening her eyes slowly. She tried to stretch her arms out but soon realized that she was trapped by an arm – someone’s arm. She jerked her head to the side and saw her boyfriend sleeping closely beside her; his arm draped protectively around her waist.

Her eyes were large at first but soon they turned crescent as she watched her man breathing in and out softly; and she wanted to take a mental picture of that. She tried to pull her hand out slowly and Yul remained undeterred. He was still sleeping soundly beside her. Tiffany cupped his cheeks with her hands as her thumb gently swept his pouty lips.

Yul has the habit of sticking his tongue out when he’s sleeping. And Tiffany found it endearingly cute and sometimes took pictures of him doing that. She would then taunt that guy if he refuses to do her bid. She then leaned closer and kissed him on his lips. The man was finally awakened; he straightened his body out before curling to the side; probably still sleepy. His eyes were drooping over; opening slowly as Tiffany peered into his face with her beautiful eye-smile.

“Good morning baby.”

Yul smiled before trapping Tiffany in his embrace. The lady enjoyed his warmth as she reigned the rightful throne of hers – Yul’s arms.

“Good morning, sweetie.”

His husky voice was such a turn on. Tiffany’s insides were shaken by his deep husky and y morning voice. She kissed him again.

“What are you doing here?”

“I watched you sleep. I guess I fell asleep beside you.”

“You carried me to bed?”

“Yeah, you’re so light. Have you been dieting again?”

Tiffany grinned and nodded.

“Why do you have to do that? You’re already pretty and beautiful as you are.”

“I’m afraid that you might run away if I grow fat.”

“Please, you’re one woman that has everything of me. I’m not going to leave and I’ll never let you go, Tiffany.”

Tiffany’s heart was aching. Yul was serious when he said that. He was looking deep into her eyes; he was searching for something and Tiffany knew she couldn’t leave him either.

“I cannot leave you either, Yul. You’ve already captured my heart.”

“Good, so stay with me. And don’t feel sorry about anything or whatever it is.”

“Huh?”

Yul kissed her before sitting up. He leaned his back against the bed rest and Tiffany took advantage. She wrapped her arms around his waist and rested her head on his y abs. She loves his abs.

“You apologised to me last night. You did that in your sleep.”

Tiffany was surprised. She sat up and looked at Yul. The man was worried about her.

“I don’t know why you apologized to me for but I just wanted you to know that you don’t have to feel sorry or anything. You know I love you; I love everything of you.”

“Yul, I...”

“Tiffany, I know you feel like you gave me nothing but burden.”

How the hell did he know?

“Tiffany, I love you. And I’m already taking my responsibility as Mason’s father seriously. I’ve prepared for everything.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I’ve spoken to some lawyers and friends who are in the law society; they told me about your chances for keeping Mason with you. You stand a better chance compared to your ex boyfriend.”

“You went to do some research?”

“I don’t want you to lose Mason. I know you love him. I know you keep him as a secret because you’re afraid of losing him. I’m going to do all I can to keep Mason with you.”

Tiffany’s body shook violently. Her shoulders were wavering so much. Her heart ached as Yul pulled her closer and hugged her tightly.

“If you’re thinking that you’re not good enough for you because you have Mason, I’m not buying that. I love you because I really love you. I’m going to accept everything of you and that includes your past with Nichkun and the son you bore for him. I’m going to be a good Daddy. I may not be the best but I’m not going to give up on him. So don’t give up on us, Tiffany. Stay with me; I’ll protect you.”

Tiffany couldn’t say anything else. She has decided to tell Yul the truth. Yul’s heart is too pure for her to hide her fears from him.

“Nichkun spoke to me. He told me he knows where Mason is but he didn’t take action because he still harbours hope that we could be together again.”

Yul was surprised but he kept calm. He just nodded his head and urged Tiffany to continue.

“He wants to share custody of Mason. He said he has the right for that because he could use the fact that I hide Mason from him to bring the case against me.”

“I’m aware of that.”

“I was contemplating if I should share Mason’s custody with him.”

Yul frowned.

“Do you want to do that?”

“Yul, I love you. I love you so much but you’re still single. You haven’t been married before but now you’re saddled with me and my son, Mason. I find it unfair to you.”

“Why suddenly say this? Do you think I’m playing a fool with you?”

“No, Yul! I know you’re serious about me. But I cannot be selfish.”

“Love is selfish!”

Tiffany looked at him; surprised with his sudden outburst.

“Well, the book says so.”

“Book?”

Yul pouted his lips before sighing. He stood up and pulled his bag from the chair’s ledge. He took out a book and showed it to Tiffany.

“I’ve been reading this.”

Tiffany glanced down and saw a huge thick book with the title “Love Conquers All” in his hands.

“I bought this book and have been reading. I wanted to be the best boyfriend for you and hopefully a responsible husband to you. I mean, I’ve never been so serious and I’ve never fallen in love before. You’re my first girlfriend, Tiffany. I have to be the best for you.”

Tiffany was visibly touched. Her eyes were watery and she was choking back on her own tears. She has never had a guy who made so much effort just to make her happy. Tiffany knew if she let him go now, she would be the stupidest woman on Earth.

She hugged him tightly.

“I’m sorry. I was just afraid. What if your father couldn’t accept me? What if your family hates you because you chose to be with me? I don’t know what I should do. Jessica was right. Nichkun could still control me; putting me under his thumb. I’m not strong enough to push him aside, Yul. I almost wanted to give up on us; on you because I thought I was nothing but a burden for you.”

“You wanted to leave me?”

Yul asked incredulously.

“I’m guilty of that but I just couldn’t, Yul.”

“And what are you blabbering about my father? I told him about you; about us.”

Tiffany’s eyes grew larger.

“You did?!”

“Yeah, he was glad that you’re with me. I told him about Mason and he said he would help us to get Mason back.”

“Huh?”

“You silly woman. You’d think I’ve never consider about all that? You know how much I respect my father, right? I told him about you before I made decision to be with you.”

Tiffany was surprised.

-

“Yul, you’re home!”

Yul finally went home after so long. He hasn’t returned home because of the fight between his father and his brother. He moved out and shortly after, his older brother followed suit. The only people left in the house were his father and his step mother, Seohyun’s mother.

“Omma.”

Yul was respectful towards his step mother. Even though his father remarried, Yul has always regard Seohyun’s mother as his own. The lady was gentle and took care of him when he was younger.

“Have you eaten? Omma can cook for you.”

“I’ll just eat whatever you’ve cooked.”

“Omma cooked porridge. It’s only me and your father.”

“I’ll just eat that. I don’t want to bother you.”

“Okay, I’ll get some side dishes for you.”

Yul smiled as he took his seat at the dining table. His father hasn’t returned home yet. He needed to see him. So his step mother kept him company. She sat with him as he ate and they talked for awhile. Suddenly Yul mentioned about Tiffany. His step mother was excited.

“You’re seeing someone now?”

“Omma, I haven’t told her yet. I mean I don’t know if I should.”

“What do you mean? You don’t like her?”

“No, it’s not that. I like her a lot. But I need father to give me his blessings.”

“Your father will be happy if he knows you’re seeing a girl.”

“But she’s different.”

“Yul, you’re worried that your father will not accept her?”

“You should know about father’s history with my mother. She had hyung before she met father. Father married him and then she left him.”

“Your late mother was sick, Yul.”

“Yes, but hyung’s relationship with appa is shaky and rocky. I don’t want appa to think that I’ll end up like him as well.”

“Your father is a good man. He’s just firm towards your brother.”

“You think father will accept her?”

“Talk to her nicely over dinner. I’ll cook something that he likes to eat. You know he’ll be in a good mood if he sees his favourite food.”

Yul grinned. He knew his step mother would help him out. She was always supportive of Yul.

Over dinner, Yul’s father was surprised to find his only son at home. He knew something was wrong but he waited for Yul to tell him. Yul eventually did and the older Kwon was frowning away.

“You’re telling me Miss Hwang has a son with her ex boyfriend before?”

“Yes, appa.”

“Isn’t she working with him now?”

“Yes, it’s complicated. But I love her, appa.”

Yul’s the exact replica of his father. Both were often calm and composed when they had to decide over things like this.

“I like her though.”

“Appa, please don’t judge her for whatever happened before.”

“You mean my experience with your later mother?”

Yul was his dry lips. He couldn’t hide his fear that his father would not approve his relationship with Tiffany.

“Yul ah, have I ever stopped you before?”

Yul shook his head.

“You love Miss Hwang?”

“Yes, I do.”

“You want to spend your whole lifetime with her?”

“I affirmatively want to spend my life with her. She’s the only woman who can be the mother of my child, appa.”

His father was smiling. He was really proud of Yul. Older Kwon has never thought of stopping his son to choose the love of his life. If Yul’s future would be with Tiffany, then he has no right to stop them.

“Then tell her.”

“Huh?”

“Tell her you love her. When you love her, you have to accept everything of her including all her flaws and things that you might not like. You cannot change her; but you can let her know what you have in mind.”

“Appa, you’re giving me your blessings?”

“I told you before. You choose your own life. Appa is just here to give you my support.”

Yul was smiling widely.

-

Jessica was at her office. She had just finished one session with one of her clients. She was supposed to have some free time but she had a visitor instead. And she welcomed this visitor warmly.

“Mrs Im!”

Jessica was elated to find Yoong’s mother at her office. She welcomed the old lady in and they sat comfortably. Jessica made some coffee herself since Luna was out for lunch.

“Thank you, Jessica.”

“I’m just so glad that you’re here. How can I help you today?”

Mrs Im took a sip of the coffee and smiled at Jessica. She was glad Yoong has found a good woman.

“I saw you and Yoong last night.”

“Oh?”

“I went to visit Yoong secretly at his training centre.”

Jessica was pleasantly surprised.

“You told me to take one step at a time, right?”

“Yes, you’re doing well so far.”

Mrs Im smiled.

“Yoong’s really happy being with you.”

“I’m happy being with him too.”

“He’s so lucky to have you, Jessica.”

Jessica smiled.

“Mrs Im, I promise you. I’ll take good care of Yoong.”

“Haha, it should be Yoong making the promise since he’s the guy. He has to look after you well too.”

“He does. I’m happy with him because he really takes good care of me.”

“That’s good to know.”

“Do you mind if I ask you this?”

“Hm?”

“Are you going to accept Yoong back into your life one day?”

Mrs Im shrugged her shoulders.

“I’m not sure if I can do that.”

“But Yoong’s your son.”

“I still hate his profession.”

Jessica nodded. She couldn’t force the lady but at least Mrs Im was willing to visit her. She agreed before that she would go through some sessions with Jessica.

“Let’s take our time, okay. I’m sure you will be able to accept Yoong.”

“Jessica, I have something to ask.”

“What is it?”

“Do you know his coach?”

“No, I don’t really know him well.”

“I see.”

“What’s wrong? You know him?”

“No, I’m just asking.”

“Okay.”

Mrs Im bit her lower lip but then reached out for Jessica’s hands.

“Can you do me a favour, Jessica?”

“Anything, Mrs Im.”

“Please protect Yoong.”

Jessica was a little taken aback.

“I will.”

“You have to, Jessica. He’s my only child.”

Mrs Im was making Jessica baffled with her favour.

-

Jessica was still thinking of Mrs Im’s last words to her. There was a hidden message in it but Jessica just couldn’t put anything to it.

“Jessica, I’m relying on you to protect Yoong from harm.”

“Mrs Im, I don’t understand. Is Yoong in some kind of trouble?”

“No, I’m just saying in general. His profession can grant him with a lot of enemies if he’s not careful.”

“Oh, I’ll ask Yoong to look after himself as well.”

“Tell him to be careful of the people he really cares a lot. They might backstab him.”

Jessica was officially worried now.

“Mrs Im, is there something you want to tell me?”

“I cannot tell you now. Let me confirm first if it’s the truth. I’ll let you know when I get the answers.”

Mrs Im didn’t wait anymore. She stood up and took her leave. Jessica tried to run after her but the old lady was too quick for her. Jessica couldn’t leave her office wide open. So she had to give up chasing after Mrs Im.

But Mrs Im’s words were baffling. She was warning Jessica about something.

What are you trying to tell me, Mrs Im?

Jessica wondered. But her worries were soon replaced with a wide grin when she saw the love of her life walking through the restaurant. He went straight for her lips and kissed her. Jessica blushed a little.

“Baby, this is public.”

“I don’t care. I’m going to kiss you at anywhere and at anytime I like.”

Yoong pouted his lips. He was surprisingly behaving like a child when he was with Jessica. And Jessica would relent; letting him have his way all the time.

“You’re such a baby.”

“You love this baby anyway.”

“EEEEEEE.”

Yoong stuck his tongue out but grabbed the menu immediately. Food has always been his favourite pastime other than Jessica.

“What are you eating?”

“Salad.”

“Jessica, you’re not a goat.”

“It’s part of women’s staple food for lunch.”

Yoong rolled his eyes. He was not going to be a goat.

“I’m going to take rib eye steak.”

“Oh good, I can share it with you.”

“You can order the same thing. If you cannot finish yours, I can finish it for you.”

“Are you sure, baby?”

“Yes, I’ll be your garbage can.”

So Jessica ordered the same thing and true enough, her Mr Garbage lover finished it up for her. Jessica enjoyed her moments like this with Yoong. He always made an effort to come for lunch if he has the free time. He would try to fill his days with Jessica as much as possible.

But Jessica couldn’t stand his glutton ways. He eats a lot than what he should be eating. And surprisingly, his body stays the same much to Jessica’s chagrin.

He ordered ice cream as a desert. Jessica had a hard time to resist it.

“Baby, it’s not healthy to eat ice cream during lunch time!”

“Oh come on, you cannot eat it. You cannot force me not to eat it.”

“You’re tempting me!”

“Oh?”

Yoong grinned widely and Jessica returned with her eyes rolling at him. She knew how playful this guy could get so she decided to look through her phone instead.

“Baby, are you going to ignore me?”

“You’re eating ice cream. I need some form of distraction.”

Yoong was making a face.

“Okay, will you not ignore me if I promise I’ll go shopping with you after this?”

Jessica was staring at him in disbelief.

“Are you serious?”

“Just don’t ignore me will do.”

“So you’re paying?”

“What?!”

“You offered!”

Jessica started to make a pitiful face and Yoong caved in.

“Fine, I’ll pay.”

“Yay!”

Im Yoong was such a whip.

-

Soo Young had a hard time to get away from Hyorin. Lucky for him, Taeyang and Hara managed to help Soo Young to get away finally. They tricked her to help Soo Young escape.

“Thanks Taeyang.”

“Don’t worry; she’s getting on my nerves too. Go chill out before coming back. I’ll deal with Hyorin for you.”

Soo Young’s friends knew about his relationship with Hyorin. They were appalled when Soo Young told them the reason for their break up before. That’s why they were willing to help him now when Hyorin kept bugging him recently.

Soo Young quickly left his premises and took a cab downtown. He needed to get away. Hyorin was driving him crazy. Well, he has more worries than that – Taeyeon was still keeping her silence. She ignored him this morning.

“Hyung, you slept at Tiffany noona’s room?”

J-Hope and Hyoyeon were already whistling away. Yul rolled his eyes but nevertheless kept his arms around Tiffany protectively. His girlfriend was blushing.

“We didn’t do anything.”

“Oh come on, like we’re going to believe that!”

“Yoong, shut up.”

The guys were at the corridor when they cornered Yul. They saw him coming out from the girls’ apartment – the girls were giggling away.

“She was tired. I kept her company, that’s all!”

“Nothing else happened?”

“No?”

“We don’t believe!”

“I don’t need you to believe!”

They were obviously teasing Yul but Soo Young stayed out of it. He was wearing his shoes quietly but he could feel someone was watching him. He looked up but Taeyeon was quick to look away. Unfortunately, Soo Young saw it but he didn’t say anything.

“Okay, enough guys. They didn’t do anything. I can vouch for that. There were no noises last night.”

“JESSICA JUNG!”

This time, Tiffany was being cornered by her roommates.

“What!? It’s the truth!”

“You don’t have to put it that way! It’s so embarrassing!”

“Are you telling me you did it?”

“NO! TAEYEON, STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH!”

“Then why are you blushing?!”

Everyone was laughing and Soo Young was compelled to laugh as well. But soon everyone went on their way; leaving Soo Young and Taeyeon behind. Somehow the girls were already prepared to leave. Yul was sending Tiffany to work and Yoong were going to have breakfast with Jessica.

The two other boys had already left so only left Taeyeon and Soo Young alone at the corridor. She bit her lower lip when she realized how awkward the silence could get. But she took her shoes and wore them; took her bag and was about to leave when Soo Young caught her hand.

“Wait.”

Taeyeon kept quiet; she didn’t do anything.

“Taeyeon, I’m sorry.”

Taeyeon just kept her silence.

“Taeyeon, I’m really sorry for what happened that day.”

“It’s okay.”

“No, it’s not okay. You’re upset.”

“I’m not upset.”

“Taeyeon...”

“I need to go. I’m late.”

Taeyeon pulled her hand away and ran towards the lift. Somehow the lift door was opened and Taeyeon disappeared behind the door; leaving Soo Young cold and bereft.

-

“Choi Soo Young, what on earth are you doing here?”

Soo Young was taken aback when he heard his name. He turned around to find his older brother staring at him.

“I cannot eat here?”

“No, that’s not what I mean. But my little brother looks a little lost.”

Soo Young hated this. Did he change so drastically?

“How the hell you can tell?”

“Soo Young, you’re such a playful jerk who have women for company all the time. But not today, you’re eating alone and for god sake, since when you take only salad for lunch?”

His brother knew him too well.

“Wait, what happened to you? Did you break up with somebody or someone?”

“What?”

“What happened to Dr Kim?”

Oh yes, Seunhyun had to remind him of Taeyeon.

“Hyung, can you not mention her?”

Seunhyun grinned as he sat next to his brother.

“Did I say you can sit here?”

“This is my restaurant.”

“Fine, sit there all you want.”

“What happened between you and her?”

“We’re not even going out.”

“And you’re already a wet chicken?”

“Why are you calling me wet chicken? You and Yul have been calling me that.”

“You’re not yourself. If my little brother has a problem, he can share it with me.”

“Why are you referring me as a third person while I’m right in front of you?”

“No, seriously; what’s wrong with you and Dr Kim?”

“I told you before. We’re not dating.”

“But you’re obviously hurting over someone or something. It has to be her.”

“Why must it be her?”

Top was grinning away.

“You’re obviously falling in love with her.”

Soo Young’s eyes grew larger.

“No, I’m not!”

“Oh come on, when you took her home; how you protected her against dad and how she protected you against dad; please, can’t you tell?”

“What?”

“She’s in love with you.”

Soo Young kept quiet.

“And you’re falling in love with her too.”

Soo Young was perplexed. Even his stupid brother could figure out his feelings better than he did.

“And for your information, Dad approved of Dr Kim.”

“What?!”

“After you left, he couldn’t stop talking about Dr Kim. He strongly believes she’s the one for you but knowing your stupidity and density of your complex feelings, you’d let her slip away from your grasp and then she’s gone forever.”

His father was right on.

“Daddy likes her.”

Soo Young feigned ignorance.

“Win her back. As your older brother, I can tell you. Your happiness is just a stone away. But if you refuse to grab this chance, this girl is going to slip away from you forever.”

Soo Young was frustrated.

-

Taeyeon was packing her stuff. She was leaving for UK soon. Woo Young came over to her place to help her. Tiffany was around as well.

“Woo Young, can you stop throwing things into my luggage?!”

Taeyeon was appalled.

“You need all that. It’s really cold there!”

“Yes, I know. You should help me with the packing; not stuffing them into my bag!”

“I don’t know how to fold clothes.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. Tiffany was laughing away. She was helping Taeyeon as well. Woo Young then went to her bathroom to grab her toiletries. Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

“I cannot believe I dated him before.”

“That was years ago, Taeyeon. I think he has changed so much.”

“He became a different person when he became a father.”

“Yeah, I notice that. He’s sure long-winded.”

“I heard that!”

Woo Young shouted from the bathroom. The two girls giggled. Soon, Woo Young came over and put the toiletries on the floor; he then proceeded to help as well. Suddenly something caught his eye. He took it from Taeyeon.

“Why is this watch still with you?”

Tiffany looked up and saw a gift box. She has never seen it.

“What watch?”

“Taeyeon asked me to buy this limited edition watch from US. She wanted to give to someone special.”

Taeyeon lunged forward and covered Woo Young’s mouth. Tiffany’s eyes grew larger.

“What?!”

“Shut up! They don’t know!”

Woo Young’s eyes danced with mischief.

“Kim Taeyeon! This is a man’s watch!”

Tiffany managed to take a glimpse of it. Taeyeon just sighed.

“Who are you in love with?”

“I don’t know, Tiffany. I don’t know if I’m in love or its just infatuation.”

Taeyeon let go of Woo Young’s mouth but managed to smack his forehead. He was supposed to keep it a secret.

“Who is this guy, Taeyeon? Why aren’t you telling me and Jessica?”

“I definitely cannot tell Jessica. She will kill me.”

Tiffany knew it instantly. She covered in disbelief.

“OH MY GOD! IT’S CHOI SOO YOUNG, ISNT IT?!”

Taeyeon sighed.

“You love him?”

“I don’t know, Tiffany. But even if I am, he’s not interested in me.”

“Why? You confessed?”

“No, from his reactions towards me, I could tell that he’s not interested at all.”