Chapter 17

The Neighbours

“What the hell happened to you, hyung?”

Yoong was surprised to find Soo Young lying down on his bed with a back brace. Taeyeon filled him in earlier on when he returned home with Jessica.

“A bull kicked him and he flew.”

“What’s the irony?”

Jessica was trying hard not to giggle but Soo Young was already rolling his eyes at her.

“YA, it’s not time to rejoice when I’m injured!”

“I don’t care.”

“Jessica, you promised you will be nice to him.”

Jessica was appalled but Taeyeon was urging not to irritate her. Jessica left the room immediately.

“I’ll leave him in your care, Yoong.”

Taeyeon said her goodbye and left the two guys in Soo Young’s room. Hyoyeon and J-Hope got home not long after and Yoong assumed Taeyeon told them about Soo Young’s condition.

“Hyung, are you alright?”

Hyoyeon sat down on his left side while J-Hope stood next to Yoong.

“I’m fine. Your sister takes good care of me.”

All the three boys stared at him.

“What?”

“Are you bullying my sister?”

“Hyoyeon, what would I do that for?”

“She’s easily taken advantage of.”

Soo Young pouted his lips.

“I injured myself because I helped her wit h her work.”

“Did she ask you?”

“No, I volunteered myself.”

“Then she’s not responsible for you.”

“HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT?”

“Hyung, you’re just like a child.”

“J-Hope, shut up!”

J-Hope stuck his tongue out.  Yoong went out of the room and started making porridge. The two other boys had already eaten outside so he just made for Soo Young.

“Did you see Yul Hyung?”

“No, I just got home 10 minutes before you did.”

Yoong took out his phone and searched for Yul’s number. He pressed call and the other guy answered almost immediately.

“Hyung, are you coming home?”

“I’ll eat outside first.”

“Oh, okay. So I’ll not cook your share, alright?”

“Sure, I’ll be back later.”

“Okay.”

Yoong frowned as he hung up the phone. He could hear a female voice on the other end of the call.

“There’s a woman with Hyung.”

And he wondered who she was.

-

“Who’s that?”

Tiffany was asking when Yul returned back to the dining room. Yul cooked dinner and Tiffany was enjoying her steak. Yul cooked well.

“Yoong. He’s asking if I’m coming home.”

“Oh, he does that too?”

“He always does that. In fact, he’s the one who will call his hyungs to see if we’re coming home or something.”

“He’s sweet.”

“Yeah, he is.”

Tiffany smiled before continuing eating. Yul settled down and dug in as well. But he stopped halfway when Tiffany spoke up again.

“Our Jessica likes him. She really likes him a lot. I have this feeling that she’s in love with him.”

Yul was stunned.

“What?”

“You know Jessica, right?”

Yul nodded. Of course he knows. He’s in love with that woman too.

“She keeps talking about Yoong . We often about him. I hope they will get together one day.”

Yul’s face turned ashen. But Tiffany didn’t notice it. She was busy eating her steak.

-

“Taeyeon-shi?”

“Just call me Taeyeon will do, Yoong.”

“Okay, but what are you doing here?”

Taeyeon passed him a bowl of fish congee. Yoong was puzzled.

“I promised Soo Young that I’ll take care of him. So I’ve made some congee for him. Can you pass it to him?”

“You shouldn’t have done that. I can look after him.”

“I’m feeling guilty that he got injured because of me. I offered to send him to the local hospital here in Seoul but he refused. You might want to bring him to see a doctor for a check up tomorrow or something. I don’t feel good that he’s at home instead of the hospital.”

“Oh, I’ll do that. Taeyeon, did he make trouble for you?”

“Nah, he didn’t. He was helpful enough to assist me when my assistant had a family emergency yesterday.”

“Oh, hyung can be a dork sometimes. Please don’t take it to heart if he gets on your nerves.”

Taeyeon laughed.

“I think he’s alright so far. He’s insane sometimes. But it is nice for a change.”

“Oh?”

“I’m always too serious at work but he was constantly making me laugh and smile yesterday. He’s quite fun for a companion.”

Yoong was grinning away. Taeyeon’s eyes sparkled as she spoke fondly of Soo Young. Taeyeon noticed Yoong’s eyes were full of mischief. She groaned.

“It’s nothing like that!”

“What is it?”

“You’re thinking of something funny, aren’t you?”

“I didn’t really say anything. Taeyeon noona, are you guilty of it?”

“Whatever for? I didn’t do anything wrong.”

Just then, Hyoyeon appeared beside Yoong. He saw a bowl of fish congee in Yoong’s hands. They smelt familiar.

“That smells like my sister’s fish congee.”

“It is your sister’s fish congee.”

“Is that for me?”

“Sorry, Hyoyeon. It’s for Soo Young hyung.”

Hyoyeon turned to his sister.

“You’re so biased!”

“There’s a pot in my kitchen. You can just take it from there!”

“Why couldn’t you give me like this in a bowl or something?”

“Are you sick?”

“No?”

“Then you don’t have the privilege.”

“NOONA BIAS!”

“Shut up!”

Yoong was giggling.

“Why are you laughing at me for?”

“Noona, you’re so adorable.”

“She has always been! But she’s always biased towards her younger brother!”

“SHUT UP!”

The siblings bickered with Yoong laughing in the middle of them.

-

Jessica had just finished her shower. She could hear Taeyeon’s voice in the corridor. She must be bickering with either Soo Young or Hyoyeon. She didn’t bother to check on them so she went straight to her room. She sat on the edge of the bed when she heard Taeyeon mumbling to herself. She peered over her shoulders – Taeyeon was fuming mad.

“What’s wrong now? Who did you quarrel with?”

“Kim Hyoyeon.”

“Your little brother?”

“Jessica, we’re of the same age. Don’t call him little, please?”

“What’s wrong? You should know how mischievous Hyoyeon could get.”

“Well, your darling joined in as well. He was teasing me when I gave him a bowl of fish congee for Soo Young.”

Jessica smirked. She knew how playful Yoong could get. She chuckled softly.

“Don’t you dare side him!”

“Well, you often side Soo Young whenever we started arguing.”

Taeyeon was speechless. Her own best friend was going against her as well.

“Are you going to be like the boys?”

“Taeyeon, can I just ask you something?”

“What is it?”

“Do you happen to be falling for Soo Young?”

Taeyeon’s eyes grew larger.

“Your face tells it all.”

“No, I’m not!”

“Tae, your face is so red. Your eyes are steering away from mine.”

“It’s impossible.  I like girls.”

“Oh come on, I don’t see Soo Young as a guy. He’s more like a girl to me.”

“Hey, don’t be so mean.”

“See! You’re siding him again!”

Taeyeon gave up.

“He’s not interested in me.”

“Did he say that before?”

“He’s just comfortable with me. And besides, we’re like close friends now. It’s just impossible.”

Jessica smiled widely before putting her arms around Taeyeon’s neck.

“My dear, I know you well. I used to be in love with you, remember?”

“And you think you can generalise my emotions like that?”

Jessica grinned.

“I don’t have to. Your facial expressions often give you away, Taeyeon.”

“But I thought you hate him?”

Jessica frowned before cupping Taeyeon’s cheeks with her hands.

“Wait, you don’t dare to confess your feelings because you thought I hate him?”

“You should know how much you mean to me. Of course I have to consider your feelings too. I mean I want your blessings too if I’m dating someone else.”

Jessica’s heart swelled. She smiled widely before pulling Taeyeon closer to her.

“If you like Soo Young, I’ll definitely give you my blessings. You know both of us are just loggerheads but that doesn’t mean I won’t make an effort to be nicer to him.”

“But I don’t think he likes me in that way.”

“How do you know?”

“I just have this feeling that he is.”

Jessica smiled before pulling Taeyeon’s nose lightly.

“Get to know him better. Maybe one day he will see you in a different light.”

-

Tiffany’s words kept rewinding on Yul’s mind. He sent the lady home; and Tiffany thanked him for the wonderful dinner. Yul smiled widely when Tiffany leaned closer to hug him.

“I’ll fetch you to work tomorrow.”

“Oh okay.”

“What time do you normally go to work?”

“I have to be in office by 9am.”

“Okay, I’ll come by around 8.30 then. I’ll see you tomorrow, Tiffany.”

Tiffany nodded and she went inside. Yul’s smile faded the moment Tiffany disappeared from view. He obviously didn’t like the news he heard from Tiffany. He was about to open the door when someone beat him to it. He was surprised to find Jessica at his apartment.

“Oh, hi Yul!”

“Er, hi Jessica.”

“You’re home?”

“Yes, what are you doing here?”

“Oh, Yoong invited me over for dinner with my brother.”

“Where’s Soo Young?”

“He injured his back while helping Taeyeon earlier on. He’s resting inside.”

“Oh.”

“I’m going home now. I’ll see you tomorrow. Bye Yoong!”

Jessica was waving at someone inside. But someone was making a fuss over it.

“How come you didn’t say bye to me?”

“J, I’m waving at you too!”

“You just mentioned Yoong hyung’s name!”

“Fine, bye dongsaeng~!”

“BYE NOONAA~”

Yoong finally appeared at the front door.

“Oh, hyung! You’re home!”

“Yeah, I am.”

Yoong then turned to Jessica.

“It was great today!”

“Yeah, it was. And thanks for saving my life earlier on.”

“Oh, that’s right. Are you hurt?”

“Haha, I thought you’ve asked me earlier on?”

“Hehe, well you finally calmed down when I gave you a kiss on your forehead.”

Yul was shocked when he heard that.

“YA!”

Jessica playfully punched Yoong on his shoulders.

“Thanks for that kiss anyway.”

Yoong blushed slightly.

“I’ll do anything to see your smile, Jessica.”

Yoong confessed.

“What?”

Jessica was surprised. Yoong decided to do something about his relationship with Jessica tonight. He was obviously having feelings for Jessica. Today just proved something to Yoong – Jessica makes him happy.

“I like you, Jessica Jung. And I wonder if you feel the same way too.”

Yoong’s confession killed Yul instantly.

-

Taeyeon was peeling the banana skin for Soo Young who was practically whining for the whole night. Yoong gave up on him and Hyoyeon obviously didn’t want to get involved. So he called his sister to help Soo Young instead.

“Feed me.”

“I’ve already peeled the skin.”

“My arms are tired.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes but nevertheless popped the banana into his mouth. He chewed happily; grinning and smiling at Taeyeon. The lady was appalled but kept her cool.

“You kept your promise.”

“What?”

“You promised to look after me. You really did.”

“I don’t break promises.”

“You sound like a guy.”

“What?”

“I suddenly feel like I’m the girl and you’re the guy in this relationship.”

“We can be like that for the longest time.”

Soo Young rolled his eyes and pouted his lips. Once again, Taeyeon was tempted to capture those lips but she refrained herself. She immediately stood up but she lost her footing. She fell on Soo Young instead; their faces were close together and their lips were inches away.

Soo Young remembered this atmosphere back in the car earlier on. There was something in Taeyeon that kept drawing him in. He wondered why he was feeling this way. Taeyeon, on the other hand, was fighting with herself. She was so tempted to kiss him but she shouldn’t be aggressive. She felt it was just so wrong. Soo Young should take the initiative.

But Soo Young didn’t.

“Erm, you’re heavy.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

Taeyeon quickly got up. Her face was extremely red.

“I better get going. You get well soon.”

Taeyeon left the room immediately without even looking at him. Soo Young didn’t reply but just watched as Taeyeon closed the door behind her. Soo Young was supposed to capture her lips but he didn’t. Something in him stopped him from doing so.

His past relationship with Hyorin scarred him for life.

Soo Young wasn’t too sure if he could fall in love again.

He knew he was. He was slowly and gradually falling for Taeyeon but he couldn’t do it.

He was too broken before.

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon.”

He whispered after Taeyeon left.

-

Jessica was on cloud nine. Yoong has just confessed his feelings for her. She didn’t wait to answer him. She immediately said yes.

“I like you, Jessica Jung. But I wonder if you feel the same way too.”

“What are you talking about, Yoong? I’ve always been in love with you. I fell for you from the first time I laid eyes on you.”

“Huh?”

“I have been helplessly falling in love with you and I’m dying inside to hold you right now. Whatever you have done for me during the past few days just proved something to me – I couldn’t live without you.”

Jessica watched as Yoong’s face lightened up immediately.

“I’ve always liked you too. But I thought it was too early to confess. It was always a wonder why I’d always end up being with you even when it was just impossible. We kept stumbling upon each other even during lunch time. What were the odds, Jessica?”

“Maybe we’re fated to be together.”

Jessica just couldn’t believe tonight. She has somebody now. She belongs to someone now.

“JESSICA!!!!”

Her two friends were completely excited about it. Taeyeon happened to be at the boys’ apartment when she saw Jessica and Yoong shared a kiss. She got really excited and congratulated them.

“Is it true? Is Taeyeon telling the truth?”

Tiffany was holding on to Jessica’s hands tightly. The girl nodded and the latter screamed.

“OH MY GOD! CONGRATULATIONS!”

“THIS IS TIME FOR CHAMPAGNE!”

“Wait, wait! Tomorrow we have to work!”

“I don’t care. You’re the first to be attached ever since we moved here. Let’s just drink a cup or two and tell us more about Yoong.”

“He was worried that this was too fast. But I think we’re meant to be together.”

The three best friends shared their laughter together.

-

“YOONG HYUNG! CONGRATULATIONS!”

Hyoyeon and J-Hope were happy for Yoong. Soo Young congratulated him too but Yul was just keeping quiet on his end. He was just a little step too late.

“Wait, I have to list down some things for hyung.”

J-Hope suddenly grabbed his notepad and started jotting down.

“What’s this?”

“Please abide to these rules.”

“I won’t hurt your sister. I swear.”

“Still, she’s my favourite sister. I have to protect her!”

“What?”

“I’m representing my father now.”

Yoong rolled his eyes.

Everyone was happy that night.

Everyone except one person – Kwon Yul.

-