Sidestory: Nurtured Feelings (Ainosuke's Love Story)

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wind blew, swaying Tanaka Ainosuke's tresses gently as he galloped along the familiar uphill road. His stallion stopped in front of a house. The name board carved with letters spelled Nakajima Family. He knew very well about the residence because it was once his home long time ago.

It was unusual for him to visit the residence this way. He used to visit the sunflowers meadow first then followed Akari back to the residence. That way the contact with the house workers could be minimized. Yet, this time he came by knocking on the front gate, formally introducing himself to the gatekeeper as the head doctor of Hakumei, Tanaka Ainosuke.

It was not long before the owner of the house rushing to welcome him. Nakajima Keito, a middleage man who once his uncle.

"Come, sit, Ainosuke," Nakajima Keito cheerfully guiding him through the guest room.

He smiled, "Thank you, Nakajima-san."

Keito was surprised by his reply yet immediately collected himself. "Ah, right, Tanaka-kun. It's been awhile. How are you doing?"

"I am alright," he answered. "I hope Nakajima-san and family are in good condition, too."

"Yeah, thanks to Tanaka-kun's tonic that we are healthy despite the weather hasn't been good lately," the older man smiled gratefully, then added, "Oh, do you plan to stay overnight, Tanaka-kun? We'll be happy if you could spare sometime."

"I'm sorry. Actually I'm on my way to Seiryoku, so I have to depart as soon as my bussiness finished," he couldn't help rather regretful as he saw disappointment in his uncle's eyes.

"Oh, that cannot be help then. Probably next time?"

"Hopefully," he replied.

For a moment they did not converse and silence stretched. He might look calm outside though he was nervous inside. He subsconsciously gripped the hilt of his sword.

"So, is there anything I can help?" Nakajima Keito asked further.

"Actually," he started, cold sweat started forming on his hand.

**********

Nakajima Akari galloped through the side gate once she heard from her house worker that the head doctor of Hakumei had visited the residence and just left.

She speeded her mare so she could reach the sunflowers meadow soon. She threw her eyesight left and right, hoping to catch the shadow of the young doctor.

Once she spotted a certain black stallion grassing near the only tree in the meadow, she slowed down. Her smile bloomed when she saw the person she had been looking for. Hopping down the ground, she immediately walked towards him.

"Do you plan departing without seeing me first, doctor?" Her smile grew wider as she got nearer.

Tanaka Ainosuke, who was leaning his back on the tree leisurely, turned his head to her direction.

"Right, I didn't plan to meet you," he said so carefree, not worrying that she would be offended since she knew well how he was.

"It's my luck then to see you here," she said, sitting down beside him with only his sword separated them.

They didn't say anything afterward, only focusing their gaze at the swaying sunflowers. She closed her eyes to feel the serenity. Mixed with the smell of sun and soil was sandalwood. She knew it by heart that it was Ainosuke's scent.

"I'm going to visit Seiryoku. Do you want something?" 

Suddenly she heard Ainosuke ask.

She opened her eyes, turning to see him, "Seiryoku again?"

He took his sword and swap the dirt on its scabbard, "Well, Seiryoku will be my second home for at least three years from now."

"Is it...," she wanted to ask whether it related to the incident at the border, yet she stopped. She understood that it might be a top secret that Ainosuke did not share the information directly. 

"What?" He asked.

She shook her head, "Nothing. You don't need to bring anything. Just... be careful and return home safely."

He stood up while slipping the sword in his waist tie, "Alright then."

Ainosuke whistled and soon, Hiro, the black stallion galloped back to his owner.

"Three months from now," he spoke while holding the rein. "I'll be glad if you can join the others in the capital."

"What about it?"

"I told you that I will give proper end for my parents, didn't I?" He asked.

She nodded, "Yes."

"It will be the time and my little sister will help me to do that," he explained after mounting his horse.

Once she heard that, there was unexplainable feeling surged inside her. It was mix of happiness, proud, relief, but also worry.

By his words she understood that the dream he had been so hardly working on would finally be realized, and that his relationship with his little sister turned out great.

She nodded with teary eyes, "I'll try with all I can to be there."

He gave her a gentle smile, "See you next time then."

"Yes, see you next time, Ai-kun."

She watched the beast neighed and galloped away. As she stared at Ainosuke's back, she prayed that Ainosuke's plan would run smoothly because she knew how much it meant to him.

**********

Nakajima Keito had been mulling over something after his wife, Nakajima Nami, had given her opinion. Yet, most importantly, they needed to hear their daughter before making conclusion about the problem.

It was after dinner when he summoned his daughter, Nakajima Akari, to their family room. 

Nami walked in, followed by Akari.

"What is the matter, Father? Mother said you want to ask me something important," Akari spoke after taking a seat across him.

He took a look at his daughter closely making the girl furrowed her brows. Inhaling a breath, he said, "There is a proposal for you."

"As in... marriage proposal?"

"Yes," he answered.

Akari sighed, "Father, please forgive me. I don't plan to get married in near time."

"Then when?"

"When I meet the one fated for me," Akari grinned as she realized her answer had gotten old.

"Actually what kind of man are you looking for, dear?" Nami asked.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter