To Ask

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 2 To Ask

 

Should I choose my dream over the fate?

The question lingered in Mirai’s mind all the time. She did not get any sleep the night before. She paced back and forth in her chamber when someone knocked on the door.

“My young-lady, may I come in?”

She knew well whose the voice was. She slumped her body on the couch and sighed, “Come in.”

The door was opened and Miru came bringing a tray. Miru put it on the table beside the couch then took two steps back and bowed. She eyed the content: a bowl of water to wash her face, a small towel, a tea set and slices of apple; her usual starter for the days.

“Should I prepare the bath now, my young-lady?”

She sighed and mumbled, “It should be Mirai.”

“I’m afraid I did not catch your word, my young-lady,” Miru said.

She stared blankly to where the window was opened to reveal the morning sky outside. She said in a longing tone, “Has this marriage changed you, too, Miru-chan? I have lost my dream, but I don’t want to lose my friend, too.”

Miru raised her head to look at her. “I am still your friend.”

She let out a bitter laugh, “Really?”

Miru gave her a firm look, “Yes, I am. And will always be.”

A silence engulfed them after Miru’s statement. No one spoke a word. That until Miru saw the tears flowed down her cheeks. Miru rushed to her and crouched in front of the couch.

“Mirai?” Miru hesitantly addressed her name. “What’s wrong?”

She turned to Miru and the stream of tears continuously flowed from her round brown eyes. Suddenly she threw herself at Miru, causing both of them to sprawl on the floor.

“Mirai?” Miru called while she was sobbing hard. Miru let her be and patted her back as Miru always did in the past to comfort her. She assumed Miru realized that she had been quiet since the news broke, which was a month ago, and she looked in more distress since her meeting with Captain Nakajima the day before.

After the sob receded, Miru repeat her question, “What’s wrong, Mirai?”

She shook her head that still buried in Miru’s shoulder, “All of this… the marriage… the prince… you!”

Miru’s eyes widened, seemed recalling her words, ‘I don’t want to lose my friend, too’ then matched with her own attitude towards her lately. Miru looked as though felt guilty for ignoring her when she need friend the most, though she knew Miru did not mean to hurt her at all.

“I’m sorry,” Miru muttered. “I just didn’t know how to act in front of you.”

She tried to understand what that meant. When she caught up with her mind, she rushed to rise herself and helped Miru stood. “I’m sorry, Miru….. The marriage must’ve hurt you more, but I acted like this to you.”

Miru gave her a confused look, but she did not let her to speak, “I understand, Miru-chan. I… will find a way. So don’t worry anymore. So… so, could we be friend again?” Her eyes still wet with tears and she looked like a lost puppy that too cute to be ignored.

“What are you saying? We’re friend forever, remember?”

Mirai beamed and hugged Miru tightly, “Thank you, Miru-chan. Thank you.”

I will find a way for both of us to be happy, Miru-chan. I promise.

*****

A young man walked in hurried steps before entering the study room of Shida manor. He spotted a lone figure he was looking for stood before the desk.

“You call for me, Father?” He asked directly.

The man he called father, General Shida Makoto, Head of Royal Army, turned to face him.

“Yes, my son.” his father handed him a pile of paper. “They report that Captain Nakajima has visited your sister yesterday.”

“So, the prince has made a move?” He asked while scanning the report.

“Yes, and I’m afraid that it was the wrong one.”

The rustle of papers stopped to a certain page, “Father, this…?”

“You read it the right way, son.”

He nodded in understanding. When he finished reading the report, he looked up to his father. “Have you seen Mirai?”

“She still refused to meet me.”

His eyes saddened, “I’m sorry, Father.”

“No, you don’t need to. It was expected,” his father's face was as firm as always. “Now, go and do what you have to do.”

He bowed and retreated to the hall way.

“Wait, Hikaru!” His father stopped him before he completely walked away. He looked back and waited his father to speak.

“Please, take care of her.”

He gave his father an assuring smile, “I know, Father. I will.”

*****

Captain Nakajima was on his way to Prince Ryosuke’s chamber when a guard rushed to him. The gurad reported that a young man requested to meet the prince or him. So he went to the west gate where he spotted a young man, in his 15 or not far from that he guessed, stood in front of the gate’s guard. He signed the guard to let the boy enter and lead him to a certain room in East Wing of the Outer Palace.

After a brief interrogation he left the boy then rose himself to walk to his initial destination. He knocked on the door and a soft response permitted him to enter.

“Oh, I’ve been waiting for you, Yuto-kun,” the prince beamed upon seeing him, whom the prince considered as a friend and also his guardian, walked closer.

“Forgive me, but there was something I need to attend,” he bowed as reverence to the prince.

A small frown of disapproval appeared on Prince Ryosuke’s face.

“I told you not to do that when we’re alone, didn’t I?” the prince said.

He chuckled, “If it become a habit and I failed to address you properly while we’re in public, because you insist me not to when we’re alone, which is most of the t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter