Too Late

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 22 Too Late

 

“Mother, we are going,” Mirai gave her mother a quick peck on her cheek before darting toward the gate.

Hikaru had been waiting in front of Shida manor for Mirai. Seeing his sister coming, he mounted his mare. After Mirai did the same with her own mount, they departed, riding side by side.

This was the evening in the seventh week of summer. Hikaru would start to train Mirai after making time in his tight schedule of his council duties. Since the sudden audience that night, there had not any further discussion about the matter of Seiryoku.

Eyeing his sister, Hikaru retraced his mind. A week had passed since the sudden visit of King Shohei to their manor. Ever since that, the king’s health had deteriorated that the audience with the council needed to be postponed. Meanwhile, his sister had not shown any sign of reaching decision about her own predicament, whether she would return to the palace.

He let out a small sigh.

Now, everything was clear. King Shohei’s visit had unveiled his suspicion about Mirai’s marriage. His father had explained to him and his mother the reason behind the sudden long visit of Mirai and she herself had confirmed it.

Why do you have to go through all these ordeals, Mirai?

He kept asking himself as their mounts drawing closer to their destination: Amanogawa.

**********

Keito visited a certain vast royal chamber. It was King Shohei’s. When he entered the chamber, his father was being examined by the doctor. He felt that his father looked more exhausted than any other days before. Did his illness worsen? The question arose as he stepped closer to the bed.

“How is your condition, Father?”

His father looked up with a tired smile, “Seems like I’m getting older, son.”

He noted his father’s attempt to diminish his ill state.

He stood beside the bed and observed his father. The king looked pale.

“Please make sure to drink the medicine as I prescribe, Your Majesty,” the doctor said.

“Fine, fine. Don’t worry.”

After the doctor excused himself, Keito sat on the bed.

“How is the council?” his father asked.

“It’s running as usual, Father. They’re waiting for you to get better to hold an audience.”

“I see. They’re unusually patient.”

“It’s because we still have a half year before the deadline.”

His father took a deeper breath before stating, “They should know my decision will not change.”

“They knew, Father. Still, we should try to look for another way to solve this matter.”

“Yes, yes, of course, son.”

Trying to find another topic to talk, he said, “Ryosuke has submitting the bill this morning.”

He knew his father understood what he meant.

“I see.” Sadness flickered in his father’s eyes. “So he still doesn’t change his mind.”

“You know how stubborn he is, Father.”

A small chuckle let out, “Yes, indeed.”

“Sometimes I think he is just like you.”

“Ah, are you trying to say that I’m stubborn?”

He smiled noticing the playfulness in his father’s voice.

“Despite all, Keito,” the voice had turned serious. “Has Mirai returned?”

“No, she hasn’t.”

“I see.” The sadness returned in his father’s eyes.

A short moment of silence hanged between them.

“Father,” he started. “Would you let Ryosuke annul the marriage?”

“It depends on Mirai’s decision.”

“I’ll make sure the bill won’t reach the board until she decides then.”

His father looked at him, “Thank you, son. I’m a bit relief knowing you’ll take care of him.”

Guilt arose in his heart, “It’s the least I can do after all I’ve taken from him, Father.”

His father gave him a firm gaze, “It’s never your fault. Instead, it’s my decision. So, don’t you ever think that, Keito.”

It was always touched his heart when his father showed that side of him, “Thank you, Father, for all you have done for me and mother.”

His father’s eyes softened, “You should know, son. I love you just as much I love Ryosuke.”

He smiled in understanding, “I know, Father. That’s why I’m grateful. Even I understand if you love him more than me.”

“With that trait of yours,” his father replied. “You will be a great king, Keito.”

He could only give a small smile to respond.

“Do me a favor, son,” his father started.

“What is it, Father?”

“If I have gone, and his marriage fails, promise me you will not give up on him. Find another way so that Ryosuke will have his own happiness.”

“Yes, Father, I promise.”

Just after their talk ended, the guard outside the chamber announced the arrival of Ryosuke and the guard who stayed inside the chamber strode closer, asking whether to allow him enter.

“I will go get him,” Keito offered.

Before he left, he looked back at his father and smiled. “Please rest easy, Father.”

**********

Ryosuke waited for permission to enter King Shohei’s chamber. He had been reluctant to go actually.

Don’t come to see me unless I summon you. Seeing you only brings me pain.

The words of his father long time ago still rang in his ears clearly. Yet…

Ryosuke’s jaw tightened in his effort to tamper down his rising anger. Yuto had just finished disclosing his secret: his relationship with Okamoto Suzuka.

Looking at Yuto, his best friend, he could not help but to remark, “I’m really disappointed, Yuto.”

He knew Yuto noticed the absence of honorific he used to attach on Yuto’s name. Guilt was written all over Yuto’s face.

“I’m really sorry, Ryosuke. Just try to understand my circumstance.”

“I understand it, Yuto, more than you ever know. I just never expect you would keep such a big secret from me. I thought we are best friend. Seems… I overestimate myself.” He never thought he would use this cold tone to Yuto.

“No. You’re indeed my best friend. Just this matter… it is dilemmatic.”

He did know how dilemmatic Yuto’s position. Okamoto had been hostile against him, thus having relationship with a lady from their lineage must generate guilty in Yuto’s heart. Yet, understood did not mean he was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter