Endless Dreams

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 84 Endless Dreams

 

The sun warmed the earth in a certain morning. A lone man was walking on the main road of Kiyomizu, a developing village which used to be the camp of Alliance Troops in the South East Province. He vaguely remembered the time he stayed at the camp, but the place had changed in every detail that he could not recognize the way to the place he was going to visit. He asked for a direction of Tanaka and Nakajima’s horse farm to the passerby, and they told him to go west, following the only path toward the little hill in the rear of the village. He said his gratitude and headed to the said path. Yet, he could still hear the conversation between the villagers as he was walking away. They mentioned about the first ceremony the household of Tanaka would possibly hold about a month or so later. His heart clenched and he could not help when regret crept up. The first ceremony... it was a duty to be carried out to honor the deceased beloved.

Inhaling a breath, he continued walking.

Spring was evidently beautiful as he walked along the path to the farm and saw the green scenery ornamented with various colors of wild flowers. In a distant front, he could see a building with traditional architecture and a quite vast clearing, also a spot which was dominated by yellow a distance away from the building.

He quickened the steps to soon reach the front gate of the residence. A middle age man was sweeping the fallen leaves, and he called out to ask permission to meet the master. As he was talking with the butler, they heard snort of a horse coming closer, and seconds after a black stallion emerged from the side gate which led to the clearing.

“Young master!” the butler exclaimed and ran toward the said person.

He recognized the small boy riding the tall stallion and could not help but to be amused and amazed. The kid was Ainosuke for sure. He frowned. The stallion had the posture of war horse, and he was sure by looking at the fierce glints in the beast’s eyes that it was not tame. It was too dangerous for letting a kid rode that kind of horse without being supervised, but he did not notice any worry in the butler’s face nor on the kid’s himself.

He followed the horse movement as it galloped smoothly across the yard. The butler reported his presence to the young master and with composed look, Ainosuke turned and looked at his direction. Meeting his gaze, he caught a glimpse of Ainosuke’s slightly knotted brows before the boy hoped down, dismounting the beast. He smiled while waiting for Ainosuke to get to his spot.

They were standing facing each other, and he noticed the observant look Ainosuke sent him.

“It’s been a while, ne, Ainosuke,” he greeted first, not expecting too much for the boy to recognize him as they only met once and it had been two years since that time.

Surprisingly, a smile cracked on the boy’s face, warmly replying, “It’s very nice of you to visit us, Uncle Ryutaro.”

He returned the warm welcome with his own smile.

“Let’s go inside, Uncle,” Ainosuke gestured him to follow his steps, and he did.

He was the one who had been responsible to build this residence back then in the first year of Ryosuke’s reign. Oddly, he was also the only one who had not visited it for the last six years.

Ainosuke led him to the living room and invited him to sit down. Taking a spot on the tatami floor, he sat down on his chosen floor pillow. Ainosuke left him for a brief moment only to be back with a maid behind him, serving a drink.

“Whom do you want to meet, Uncle?” still with a perfect politeness, Ainosuke asked, sitting down across him.

Instead of directly answered, he asked, “Where is everyone?”

“Father is resting. Uncle Keito goes to the town for some business. Auntie Nami is accompanying Sho-chan to the nursery school, and Akari-nee is in her school.”

“You’re not going to school?” He could not help but ask.

“I don’t attend one, Uncle. I take apprenticeship under a doctor nearby, but today is my day off.”

Appretinceship? Wasn’t it too early? He wondered.

“How old are you?” he asked.

“Eight years plus thirteen weeks and two days, Uncle. What about it?” Innocence still adored Ainosuke’s expression when he asked the question.

It drew a smile for him, an amused one. “Nothing, you just surprised me. You want to be a doctor?”

“Yes,” Ainosuke nodded surely.

“Why not become a soldier? Your swordsmanship is more than decent for your age.”

“Father taught me swordmanship and martial arts so I could protect myself, Uncle. I have no interest to enter the army. Besides, though it seems impossible, by becoming a doctor, I wish I can cure Father.”

His jaw tightened as he heard the sincerity in Ainosuke’s tone. Sensing the mood dropped, he initiated another topic, “So, your father is still sleeping?”

Ainosuke nodded, “Doctor said Father has to take more time to sleep. So, if Uncle wants to meet Father, please wait for a while. It may take an hour or so until Father wakes up.”

He mulled it over then decided, “Can I visit your mother then?”

This time Ainosuke perked up. Sadness was clearly shown in the boy’s eyes despite the smile he mustered when he answered, “Of course. Let me show you the way, Uncle.”

When Ainosuke stood up, he immediately did the same. He was led to walk along the porch toward the backyard. They stepped out through the back gate, entering the fenced clearing where he could see some workers were grooming horses. A huge stable could also be seen from the place. Suddenly, Ainosuke whistled, and soon he saw the previous stallion gallopping to their direction. As the beast stopped right before them, Ainosuke smiled proudly and turned to him.

“Uncle, this is Hiro,” Ainosuke told him, then looked up to the beast. Caressing the side of Hiro’s face, Ainosuke spoke more, “Hiro, this is Uncle Ryutaro. He is a family, so you have to memorize his face, okay?”

The moment he heard Ainosuke mentioned him as a family, a warm feeling spread inside.

Hiro neighed as though understanding what his master said, and Ainosuke patted Hiro’s neck in return.

Seeing Ainosuke’s height was only slightly over half of the beast’s height, he could not help but ask, “Are you not scared riding this big stallion?” He noticed the size of the horse was bigger than any ordinary horses. Even he was barely at the same height as the beast.

“No, I have taken care of him for two years since Father presented him for me. Hiro always follows my instruction. Right, Hiro?” Ainosuke rubbed the beast neck and it snorted before nestled his head to Ainosuke playfully which made Ainosuke chuckled ticklishly.

“Let’s go, Uncle,” Ainosuke said while holding the rein and led him walked across the clearing. Once they stepped through the clearing gate, they were welcomed by the sight of swaying sunflowers.

Ainosuke let Hiro roamed around the place while they continued to walk along a stone path through the meadow. There was a space in the middle of the meadow where sunflowers had been cleared. And that was where he saw a lone tombstone with the name “Tanaka Mirai” carved on it.

Ainosuke crouched down to take the leaves and flower crowns fell on the graves, saying, “Mother, I bring someone with me. It’s Uncle Ryutaro.”

And then the boy stood up, looking up at him. “Uncle, I’ll leave you alone with Mother. I’ll be waiting over there,” Ainosuke pointed to a tree nearby. “Is it alright?”

He nodded, and after Ainosuke excused himself, he squatted down before the grave.

“Nee-chan, how are you?” he mustered a smile though his heart clenched. “I’m really sorry that I just visit you now. I just heard about what happened to you a few days ago. You... left too fast,” a lone tear leaked out from his eyes. “It’s just two years ago you returned here with Ryosuke, wasn’t it?”

“It feels like only yesterday we talked, Nee-chan,” he said while recalling his memories when Ryosuke and his family visited him in the North Province.

“You’d never know how the torture Shinsaku did to your father, Ryuu. It’s understandable if he eventually slipped out.”

Ryosuke’s words rang back in his ears.

“Your father only told them a phrase: The secret chain, when he was asked about what I had. No one would have imagined that the phrase had led Shinsaku and Kota to a realization about the strength of mine. But turned out, it was only a confirmation Okamoto needed to finalize their estimation. They already smelled the alliance’s movement, and that added with the information they had from their spies in our troops, they could guess our strategy. In lenient circumstance, I could forgive his mistake, but as simple as it was, the little information your father leaked had cost us almost two hundreds of Yuma’s battallion, and almost took Yuma’s life, also other hundreds lives of the alliance’s soldiers died in the war. I only had two options, that were to bring the case to the high court, or erased the trace entirely. But either way, I needed him to pay for his mistake. And your father chose the latter.”

When he heard the truth he could not form a response, even until Ryosuke left him alone, a word did not register in his brain.

That time Ryosuke stayed in his private mansion, accompanied by Mirai, Ainosuke, Yuri, and Umika. In a certain night, he could not bring himself to sleep and decided to stroll around his mansion. It was after Ryosuke told him about the secret. The truth was beyond what he dared to expect. And it crashed him literally. He got really angry but could not decide to whom he should channel his anger. His trust to people was in the rear of breakdown, and it frustrated him.s

How could he believe that his father had betrayed them? How could Ryosuke order his father to kill himself? How could they hide such a huge secret from him all this time? How could... the questions went on and on without him being able to answer.

And when he was drowned in his thought, a voice called him. He looked up and saw Mirai walked to his direction. He was alerted as the sudden wonder popped out. Did Mirai knew about the secret?

“You look like in a trouble,” came her remark while she smiled gently at him. He noted that she had changed much from the last time they met before the war.

Staring at her for a time, he eventually voiced out his wonder, “Can I ask you something? But it may be uncomfortable.”

He saw her a bit surprised, but she smiled while answering, “Go on.”

“Do you know about the story behind Ryosuke’s illness?”

Mirai’s smile faltered a bit before she showed him an understanding look. “You mean about how my family and Yuto-kun’s family attempted to kill him?”

“So, you already knew,” he muttered. “How did you feel?”

She looked like considering her answer. Staring at the night sky from the window glass, she answered, “I can’t even describe it. My pride, my trust, my love... all those were shattered just in a blink of eye. There was a time when I hated them for hurting Ryosuke and betraying our trust.”

“Was? You don’t hate them anymore?”

She heaved a sigh, “I’m not sure if the hatred will completely gone, but I have been trying not to focus on that. I regret deeply how my family had disgraced Shida’s honor. Yet, rather than dwelling in the regret, I have been trying to focus on how to redeem the mistake instead.”

“Redeem the mistake? How?”

“They had hurt Ryosuke, so I should mend his wounds. After all, rather than drowning in regret, it is better to rebuild what has been destroyed. I just simply think like that,” she turned with a small smile at him. “And though the physical wounds are incurable, at least the emotional ones... I wish I can cure him. It’s difficult to trust people after we’re betrayed, aren’t we? Ryosuke never showed the sign of losing his trust, but he is at his limit. He would not be able to take any more betrayal.”

“He tells you everything,” he could not help but remark.

She shook her head, “No, he still has secrets he couldn’t tell me even though I asked him, including the matter he was talking with you yesterday night.”

He looked away. His crushed pride had made him could not look at people without feeling shame.

“To have your trusted people betrayed you... what is worse than that?” he uttered lowly.

“You were betrayed?” she caught it nonetheless.

“Ah, forget it. I was talking to myself,” he pretended.

“Oh, alright,” she replied. “Then I shall go. Ryosuke may wake up and look for me.”

He only nodded then turned to look upward to the sky.

“Ryutaro,” suddenly she called him.

“Yes?” he immediately turned to face her.

“I don’t know what or how serious your problem is, but do always look at the bright side of it, ne, and please don’t ever lose hope because the darker the night, the closer it is to the dawn, isn’t it?” she presented him a sincere smile. “Good night.” Then she walked away.

“I have been searching for the way to redeem the mistake my father had done for the past two years,” he muttered. “And I wanted to thank you for you had motivated me to not giving up. Yet, when I searched for your news, I heard that you already passed away. I’m really sorry for not attending your funeral, Nee-chan. I’m really sorry,” more droplets of his tears dropped on the ground.

**********

Nakayama castle was noisy before the lunch. Their little lady had disappeared for the nth time, leaving the caretakers in frantic searching. Yuma was woken up from his nap by the sudden noise. He had just arrived from the capital this morning after attending Daiki’s wedding last week and continued with the semiannual meeting with the central government. Haruna had suggested him to sleep after cleaning up and having breakfast, and he did not reject the idea.

Stiffling a yawn, he opened the door of the chamber. He called one of the maid and asked for what was happening.

“We couldn’t find Hana-sama anywhere, Sir. She is supposed to take etiquete lesson this afternoon.”

He could not hide his amused chuckle, then asked when he had composed himself, “Where is Haruna?”

“She is feeding Hideaki-sama, Sir.”

His heart warmed in an instant. Dismissing the maid, he strode toward the dining room. Once he entered, the sight of his wife holding their son, Hideaki or Hide for short, while trying to spoon-feed him pulled all his attention that he ignored the servants giving him reverences. He was enjoying watching the interaction when Haruna did not realize his presence.

“Come on, aaa,” she persuaded Hide to open his mouth, but the one-and-a-half-year kid seemed persistently shut it. She frowned and sighed. Putting the small bowl down the table, she raised Hide so he stood up on her lap.

“What do you want then, my dear son?”

Hide cupped her face with his tiny hands, giggling and saying with his baby tone, “Na-chan. Na-chan.”

Na-chan was the way Hide called his older sister, Hana.

“Hey, you and your father always favorite her. Don’t you like Mother?”

Hide giggled more, “Mother. Na-chan. Hide like. Like.”

Haruna smiled gleefully, and it always made him happy to see her like that.

Deciding to announce his presence, he remarked, “The three of you are my favorites.”

Haruna turned at his direction immediately. “Oh, you’ve woken up?”

Walking toward his family, he replied, “Because of the noise.”

“Sorry. Hana has disappeared again,” there was no worry in her tone.

“Where is her favorite spot this time?” he asked while grabbing a piece of apple served on the table. He, too, was not too worried because he believed Haruna had known where their daughter probably was hiding.

“Lately she likes to go to the storage room near the training ground.”

“You’ve told the caretakers?”

“No. It’s their responsibility to look after their master. If they cannot find her, it only means they aren’t good enough to be assigned to their current position.”

His mouth curved up realizing she had let their servants went in crazy searching while she knew well where their daughter was.

“Don’t be too strict,” he softened his gaze as Hide reached a hand to him which he took immediately with a smile. Fielding with his son’s tiny hand, he said, “I’ll go get her.”

Haruna only nodded, and after ruffling his son’s hair, he left the room. He headed straight to the place Haruna mentioned before. He noticed the wary looks on his servants’s face as they said that they had looked in the said building. He only smiled knowingly.

The door opened and dust flied around that he had to cover half his face with his palm. The storage room was messy as it had been long it was not used. Noticing the condition of the room, it was understandable if his servants could not find Hana. Her six years old daughter was expert in hiding herself. But he had the luck no one had: that was Hana’s attachment to him.

“Hana,” he hollered a call. “Father has something for you. Come out quickly.”

“Only if Father promise I don’t have to take the lesson this afternoon,” came the reply which only made him smiled.

“Oh, no. It’s not a deal. Come out or we won’t go to meet Ainosuke.”

A creak from nearby wooden boxes was heard and soon small rushing steps came closer.

“We’ll go meet Ai-kun? Really Father?” as soon as she appeared, the question was asked.

Dusting his daughter clothes and hair, he answered, “If you promise to obey your mother.”

She pouted, “Just not in etiquette class, Father. It’s boring.”

“Then you should stay behind while we visit Ainosuke.”

“Eh?! Seriously? You will leave me behind?”

He only responded by kept staring at her.

Sighing, she yielded, “Alright. I promise to obey Mother in everything. But take me to meet Ai-kun.”

He grinned, “Deal.”

With that, they returned to the house building. While Hana prepared for her lesson and Hide was asleep, he had time alone to talk and have lunch with Haruna.

“I met Yuya in the capital,” he brought up a topic.

“He has returned from his business trip?”

“Yes, and he said he will come to Kiyomizu. We’ll meet him there.”

“You can come?” she was surprised because previously he told her that he possibly could not accompany her to the South East Province.

He smiled and nodded, “I have rearranged the schedule. We’ll depart in the third week next month.”

“Alright,” she smiled but then her smile faltered as she heaved a sigh. “I wish we could reunite with the rest in a better circumstance.”

“It can’t be helped. At least we would be there to give support for Ryosuke and Ainosuke.”

“I still can’t believe it, Yuma,” Her gaze was distant. “They were so happy when they were here back then.”

He agreed. Back then, when Ryosuke brought his family to visit Matsudera, they looked so happy that he envied them to have such wonderful family. He even got jealous when Haruna looked at Ryosuke with a sad look that he thought as a longing stare. That was the first time he and Haruna got into a marriage fight, but it solved immediately when Haruna told him that she was pregnant with his second child.

“Hana must be excited to meet Ainosuke,” came her other remark.

He chuckled briefly, “Exactly.” Hana had gotten along really well with Ainosuke during the visit. After all, Ainosuke was the first kid who could keep up with Hana’s mischievous and wild nature.

“Anyway, how is Yuya doing?” she asked.

“Not much change.”

She heaved a sigh, “When will he settle down? He is already thirty seven years old. I’m worried.”

“You sound like his mother,” he smiled in amusement.

She heaved another sigh. “I was so happy when he told me he was courting Umika. But a year later suddenly he told me their relationship had ended. He hasn’t showed any interest in relationship after that. How could I not be worried?”

“He will find his happiness in his own way,” he reached out a hand across the table to hold hers. “Just pray for him.”

Squeezing back, she replied, “And for all of us.”

“Yes. For all of us.”

For every people in Hakumei, for the next generations after theirs, he only wished glory and happiness awaited in the future.

**********

It was night in Heiwa, and Umika had been tucking Hikaru and Ami’s daughter to bed. Lying on her side and caressing the eleven months old baby’s head, she drew a relieved breath. The little one had just recovered from fever. She could recall how panic the household when they found out about it. Ever since she was born, the sweet baby girl had prone to illness, and it worried all of them.

“You should be strong, ne, sweetheart,” she kissed the little one’s forehead then cimbed down the bed.

She was adjusting the blanket when Hikaru came in.

“How is she? Does the fever return?” He directly asked.

“No. She is doing alright today,” she replied.

Hikaru cracked a gentle smile as he looked down at the baby. “Thank you for taking care of her, Umika.”

She returned it with her own smile, “You’re welcome.”

“You can rest. I’ll watch over her tonight.”

She knew Hikaru wanted time alone with the baby, and she smiled excusing herself. Bending down to drop a kiss on the baby’s forehead, she whispered lowly.

“Sleep well, Mirai-chan.”

After taking a last glance at the baby, she left the chamber.

On the way to her bedroom, a surprise was waiting for her. Her gaze landed on the standing figure before her bedroom. She wanted to turned around and walk away, but she knew it was a futile attempt for she was sure he had already sensed her presence.

True be told, he turned to her direction immediately.

“I want to talk to you,” she almost forgot how straighforward his way of speaking was.

Looking briefly at her long unrequited love, she replied, “What do you want to talk, Yuri?”

He gestured her to follow his steps, and they headed to the gazebo in the backyard.

“I will return to Hakumei next week,” he told her once they sat down on the grass.

“You just arrived here yesterday. Aren’t you tired after such a long trip?”

“Nah, I’ve been used to it. Besides, Daiki only allowed me two weeks leave.”

The talk was suspended as no one spoke more.

“Will you come to the first ceremony?” he brought up another topic.

“I don’t know,” she answered honestly. “How about Hikaru-kun? Have you asked him?”

“He said he probably won’t come.”

“Then I may not come either.”

“Why?” he locked her gaze with his.

“I don’t want to leave Mirai-chan. She falls sick more often lately. Ami needs a help since she is also taking care of Hikaru and her job,” she answered while turning away from his stare. “Besides, Ryosuke wouldn’t want me there, would he?”

“He has forgiven you,” Yuri reassured her. “He even asked me to tell you that he is sorry for what he had said to you back then.”

“Is he?” she muttered to herself. She could not easily believe him for it was still vivid in her mind the strong hatred Ryosuke shot at her after Mirai’s funeral.

“Yes, he is. And he wish everyone precious for Mirai to be present at the ceremony.”

At the mentioning of her beloved cousin’s name, tears instantly welled up, yet she drew a deep breath to toughen up herself. That was when she remembered something she had been keeping for almost a year.

“Wait here for a while, Yuri,” she did not wait for his response and quickly ran into her bedroom. She took out an envelope from her drawer. Holding the thing close to her heart, she returned to where Yuri was waiting.

She held out the envelope to Yuri. “This is the last letter Mirai wrote. Ryosuke had almost destroy it in his desperation back then. But I thought it is a precious memory of Mirai he would cherish if he regain his senses, thus I keep it. I don’t know if I can meet him, so please help me to return this to him.”

Yuri took the letter. “This was what Ryosuke read back then, wasn’t it?”

She nodded, and they were soon drowned into their memories of the said time.

It was after the funeral of Mirai when she dared herself to approach Ryosuke. He was alone in his shared chamber when she asked whether they could talk. A few weeks before the fated day, Mirai had asked her to keep a letter to be given to Ryosuke should anything bad happened to her. She got anxious for she felt like Mirai was saying good bye, and it turned out true.

She carefully handed the letter to Ryosuke who stared at her with confused look. Nevertheless, he accepted the letter and immediately read it. She noticed Ryosuke’s face turned grimmer by every second.

“You knew it since the beginning, didn’t you, Umika?” His tone was so low and cold that it sent chill to her spine.

“Y-yes.”

“And you never told me?” He looked up and she froze for she never received such intimidating stare as what Ryosuke gave her that time.

“Mirai asked me not to tell you.”

“And you just obeyed her?!” His tone increased a level. She saw how his fists clenched tightly that the letter crumpled in his hold.

By seeing the tightness of his jaw and the way he gritted his teeth, and also the forced calm voice he used, she knew very well that he was suppressing his anger.

“You! Of all people! You were her guardian, weren’t you? You were supposed to protect her from all dangers, including the one coming from herself. But... what have you done, Umika?! You knew she bet her life, but you just let her be? I can’t believe it! How could you?!”

“She insisted to keep it, Ryosuke. You’d never knew how her feeling as a mother.”

“A feeling of a mother, huh!” this time Ryosuke did not hold back. “Then do you understand the feeling of a man knowing that he has to let go both his wife and his child? Do you?!”

“Let go of your child? What do you mean?”

He shoved the letter to her. Once she read it, tears streamed down her cheeks, and that was when Yuri came into the frame.

“Ryosuke, what happened?” Yuri asked worriedly and sent her a quick glance before returning to focus on Ryosuke.

“Don’t ask me, Chii! Ask her!”

Yuri turned to her, “Umika?”

She could not form a sentence to answer for she was still shocked after reading Mirai’s letter.

“You know what, Umika?” A sarcastic tone was used by Ryosuke. “I have lost the most precious person in my life, and part of it is your fault!”

“Ryosuke! What are you saying!” Yuri stepped in between her and Ryosuke.

“I just speak the truth. Ask her! Why she didn’t tell me that Mirai was hurt? If she told me, I would never let this happen. I would never lose Mirai!”

“Ryosuke! Get a hold on yourself. It’s no one’s fault! Don’t blame Umika for this!”

“Now what?! You side on her? You choose the wrong time, Chii.”

“I’m not siding with anyone, Ryosuke. You’re just tired. Let’s take you to rest,” Yuri held Ryosuke’s forearm, but Ryosuke brushed it off harshly that Yuri staggered backward.

“I don’t need any rest,” Ryosuke sent her a hatred look. “I need Mirai back, but no one of you could grant my wish.”

Ryosuke stormed away, leaving her with Yuri and Mirai’s letter.

“Don’t take Ryosuke’s words to heart,” he told her with gentle tone she never heard before. And that night, she could not recall what they were talking, but she remembered well how the feeling of being in Yuri’s embrace. It was warm and comforting, and she cried her heart out to him.

A tender touch on her cheek woke her up, and she had to stiffle a gasp when she realized that Yuri wiped the tears off her cheek with his thumb.

“You cry again,” he remarked, and she took a step backward to make a distance from him. “You easily cry lately, don’t you?”

She brushed the remaining tears rolled down her cheeks, mustering an apologetic smile, “I’m sorry if it makes you uncomfortable.”

“You make me worried more and more about you,” he said, looking straightly to her eyes that she averted immediately.

What was that supposed to mean? He was not being fair. He acted so nice to her, only made it harder for her to let go of her feeling which was one of the reason her relationship with Yuya did not work.

“You don’t need to worry. I can take care of myself,” she said defending herself. “If there is nothing more you want to talk, I’ll excuse myself.” She quickly added.

However, before she could turn around, he grabbed her elbow.

“I haven’t finished yet,” he said.

“What else do you want to talk?” she asked, brows knotting in confusion.

Without letting her arm out of his hold, he asked,“You are no longer with Yuya, right?”

“You already knew it.”

Everyone had known that she and Yuya had broken up since a year ago, right before she decided to follow Hikaru to Heiwa. Yuya had asked for her hand in marriage, but she was too afraid to give him affirmative answer. Yuya was so nice and had taken care of her during their courting period, but it only generated more guilt in her. In the mid of her confusion, Mirai passed away, causing her to bore more guilt. Splitted between her needs to pursue her happiness or redeem her mistake, she eventually asked Yuya to wait. However, Yuya did not want to wait.

“My suspicion is proven by your answer, Umika,” Yuya said that time. “You are always hesitated about our relationship. I wouldn’t mind you take care of the baby, but I mind the way you couldn’t let go of your feeling for another man.”

She was surprised hearing the last line. Yuya knew all along about her feeling?

“How...”

“It is obvious by seeing the way you looked at him, Umika. If you can’t love me more than the way you have been loving him, I think our relationship won’t work. I’m not that generous to share the heart that should be mine only.”

“Yuya...,” his words pierced her heart, and tears swarmed her eyes as she caught his meaning.

“Then, are you seeing someone now?” He probed further.

“What... you have nothing to do with it,” she pulled her arm away from his hold, getting annoyed. She had been angry with herself for the past year for being unable to stop loving Yuri and ended up hurting Yuya. And Yuri’s questions this time had ignited her anger to him.

“Why don’t you just answer me?” he demanded.

“Why do you want to know in the first place? It’s not that it would matter to you whether I’m seeing someone or not.”

“It matter to me now.” He replied without missing a second after she finished.

“What...,” his words succesfully taken her off guard. She stared at him while her heart had started thumping faster.

He held her gaze for a time before asking, “Do you still love me, Umika?”

She widened her eyes as the question was thrown all of a sudden.

“Because,” he continued, still holding her gaze, “I think I love you.”

**********

Ryosuke was staring at the night sky from his window, recalling what had happened a few days ago. He woke up only to be surprised when he saw Ryutaro in the backyard, watching Ainosuke grooming Hiro. There was tense silence for a moment before Ainosuke broke it with his chattering voice. It had been about two years they lost track of Ryutaro after he revealed the secret about Morimoto Akagi. He had been worried that he might possibly wrong in reading Ryutaro’s characters, but Ryutaro’s sudden appearance that day to visit Mirai had showed him that he was right. As rebellious as Ryutaro seemed to be, cherishing friends and families was one of his strongest nature after his pride.

Just as he was thinking about Ryutaro, he heard the said man’s voice bellowed from outside his chamber, asking for his permission to enter, and he let him in.

“Do you want to talk?” He beat Ryutaro from talking as he saw the hesitation of the younger man.

Ryutaro nodded, and he invited him to sit. They were facing each other when Ryutaro started.

“I... want to ask for your opinion, Ryosuke.”

“About what?”

“The deed my father had done...,” Ryutaro paused for a brief moment before adding, “I’ve been thinking about a way to atone for that sin.”

“Atonement?” he wondered it loudly.

“Neechan ever told me that instead of drowning in self-blaming and regret, it would be better to redeem our mistake by rebuild what had been destroyed.”

There was a sheer of warm feeling hearing how Ryutaro called Mirai with that nickname. Back then, that nickname was a playful joke to , but now it was underlined by respect toward her.

“I thought for a long time, over and over, but the answer I could find is always the same,” Ryutaro continued. “I could only think that the way to redeem the mistake is by assisting Hakumei to be better, but how to do it... I’m not sure about that.”

“You’re not sure, but you have thought about a way, haven’t you?” He built assumption based on the explanation.

Hesitantly, Ryutaro muttered, “It is... by getting involved in the government.”

“But you think you don’t deserve to be there after knowing what your father did, no?” He concluded.

Ryutaro nodded once.

Inhaling a breath, he asked, “Are you aware of the current problem in Hakumei’s government, Ryu?”

Ryutaro nodded once more, saying, “Daiki is losing support from the parliament and it has caused an imbalance in the power sharing.”

“Because you left him,” he added to emphasize his meaning.

“Because of me?”

“Do you not realize how your presence means, Ryu? The current parliament is dominated by Morimoto family. When you left, it affects them. Morimoto noble clan is no longer exist, but s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter