Towards the Destinies

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 59 Towards the Destinies

 

 

Kei noticed Ryosuke’s tears dropped from the corner of his eyes as they watched the ship faded away, bringing their loved ones into the other side of the world they would never see unless the battle ended on their side. As the sight vanished and only the darkness remained, Ryosuke turned around and stepped towards their horses.

“Let’s go,” Ryosuke said.

He followed to mount his horse. No one of them spoke. They rode with medium speed. While only the chill breeze flowing through them, he recalled his meeting with Ryosuke in Nakayama Castle the day before.

Ryosuke had waited with his father in the meeting room in which he had gone to receive his freedom from Ryosuke back then. He sensed something big would come out from this meeting. True be told, Ryosuke explained the purpose of this meeting. Ryosuke offered him and his father a mission. They were offered, not ordered. He took a note of that.

“I believe only the three of you capable of running this mission. Chii will always obey me, so I don’t include him in this meeting. But you two have a chance to choose. I can send the other shinobi, but I doubt it will give a fruitful result. I have big expectations to you, for the three of you are the best shinobi in Hakumei.”

“I will do it,” his father quickly answered.

He made a quick assessment and decided, “No, Father. I will do it.”

Ryosuke watched them patiently until his father spoke, “Ryosuke, could you give me and Kei time to talk?”

Ryosuke nodded, “I’ll be in the training ground if you’ve decided.” Ryosuke left them in the room.

His father turned to him right away, “This is suicidal mission, Kei. Let me do it. You’re still young and you still have a long way to go.”

“I know the risk, Father. That’s why I’m the most suitable for this mission.”

His father sent him a demanding look, so he explained more, “You’re a general. I’m sure you have more responsibilities towards this kingdom. And I don’t want Yuri to be involved in this. Besides, I’m the best among the three of us,” he brought the fact up without hesitation. He never hesitated once he decided.

“Kei, think about it once more,” his father seemed reluctant to submit to his decision.

“We know it won’t work unless the best one carries it out, Father. We can’t do a trial-and-error. If the first try fails, the second try will likely be impossible. We only have one chance and I’m the best choice we have for avoiding greater damage to this kingdom. After all, it’s my own credo that if I know I can do something that will result better, I will do it regardless the risk I need to take. And I know this mission will give better result for all of us.”

To this his father could not rebut him. After a time of silence, his father rose to his feet and enveloped him in an embrace. It had been so long since the last time he had this moment, since the day he accepted his fate to be a perfect shadow.

“I’m very proud of you, son.” His father pulled away and gave him a smile. He liked the way his father responded since he would not accept someone pity him. He chose his own fate. Thus he would not have other thought it as a miserable thing.

“Thank you, Father. I’m glad to be born as me.” He gave his father his genuine smile in return.

Ryosuke pulled off once they reached a fork-road; one was towards the ground base in the center of Matsudera, while the other was towards the South Province. He nudged his stallion forward to Ryosuke’s side.

“This is where we part ways,” Ryosuke said.

“Yes, farewell then, Ryosuke,” this was the first time he addressed the prince properly by his given name.

Ryosuke smiled in gratefulness, and he came to understand why Yuri got attached to this prince. Despite his own misery, Ryosuke could always empathize with his comrades.

“I wish you all good luck, Kei-kun,” Ryosuke said sincerely and he noticed the honorific attached to his name. “Please try with all your might to return safely.”

He smiled genuinely, “You, too, Ryosuke. May both of us have the best luck.”

Ryosuke dismounted his stallion and he raised a brow to that.

“I know we’re not close, but can I have a farewell hug at least?” Ryosuke said expectantly.

He chuckled lightly in amusement and dismounted his own stallion. Stepping closer to the prince, he gave him what he wanted by embracing him for a moment. Somehow he felt it was just like when he hugged Yuri.

They mounted their horses after that. Ryosuke bid him good bye, and he watched the prince’s back. A thought nagged him that he eventually called Ryosuke.

“Wait, Ryosuke!”

Ryosuke spun his mount around to face him. He nudged his stallion towards the prince.

“I want to tell you that I’ve trusted you,” he said while facing Ryosuke. “If we have a chance in the future, I’ll be glad to serve under you. And… I don’t plan to die either, but if I don’t make it, please take care of my brother.”

“I promise I’ll try all I can,” Ryosuke replied. “Thank you for all you’ve done, Kei-kun. You’re indeed the best shinobi Hakumei ever have, and I’m glad I met you. I learn a lot from you. Truly, I thank you.” Ryosuke bowed his head slightly as his sign of gratefulness.

“Farewell,” they said almost at the same time, and they smiled before they spun around and advanced towards their respective destination.

He galloped with his stallion through the serenity of dawn-breaking. The road to his destiny was laid ahead of him. He only had one mission and he would make sure he would not fail.

Feeling the breeze flowed past him as he speeded to the south direction, he chanted his belief in his mind.

I’m the perfect shadow of Hakumei. No one suppose to know my existence. Now, the first sunlight has risen. It’s the time to solidify my form before it dissolves into the night. When the night comes, I will bring the darkness with me. With that, I will give Hakumei the most beautiful sunrise in the next morning.

He kept his purpose of journey firm in his mind and heart. He was going to assassinate King Arata of Seiryoku in the grandness of his royal palace.

**********

Mirai was breaking down in one of the rooms in the cabin. Ever since she woke up in the mid morning in a room she did not familiar with, she could not stop crying. It was hurt so much. Ryosuke had lied to her. She should have known since the beginning. She should have known that once he made a decision, he would never budge. She should have known he would never let her stay. She should have known when he started to remind her that he loved her every time they were together, because he used to be reluctant to say that words. She should have known… because the nightmares never stopped coming.

“You should brace yourself, Mi-chan,” Umika held her in her embrace, giving her a comfort. “He did it for your sake.”

She could only sob as she remembered the tears flowed down Ryosuke’s cheeks last night. This seemed like her nightmare: he cried then left her.

“It’s not good for the baby if you continue to be like this, Mi-chan,” Umika said more.

“It’s hurt…,” she muttered in between her sobs. “He lied… he said he let me stay… he lied…”

“You are the one who forced him to lie, Mirai,” suddenly Yuri slipped in.

She pulled away from Umika, “… me?”

“Yes, you. It would never happen if you didn’t run away from the caravan.”

“Yuri!” Umika wanted Yuri to stop.

“Forgive me for being harsh, but it’s the truth,” Yuri said more, asking Umika not to interfere whatever he would say. He refocused his gaze to her, “Ryosuke just wanted you to be safe. He wanted to protect you while carrying out his duty towards this kingdom, but you made it harder for him. You hurt him, Mirai, by doing what you did. So, it’s not fair if you blame him.”

Her tears flowed harder as Yuri’s words sank in her mind.

“As his wife, you should be the one who understand him most. He would never hurt you, but he had no choice this time. He is hurt, too by doing this,” Yuri paused and she could only gazed at him. Yuri’s face softened, “If you really love him, you should not make his effort be in vain. Pull yourself and live properly… for him, and for your child.”

Silence engulfed them for a time. Her sobs receded gradually.

“…I… I don’t know what to do…,” she eventually spoke after contemplating what Yuri’s said.

Umika gave a little squeeze at her hand, “We’re here to help you. You don’t need to worry about anything else. Just pay attention to yourself and the baby. Right, Yuri?”

Yuri nodded, “Ryosuke told me to give this to you.”

Yuri held out an envelope to her and she took it. There was a piece of folded paper inside and she took it out. It was a letter. Ryosuke’s farewell letter. She read it and once she finished the tears that had stopped returned to swarm her vision.

“…I will live…” she muttered to herself.

**********

General Chinen had waited for Ryosuke to return to the ground base. Slightly over mid morning, the person he had been waiting arrived. Ryosuke’s eyes showed him a strong determination despite the fatigue evident on his face. He approached the young man and ushered him to his own tent. Giving Ryosuke a glass of water, he observed the prince in silence.

“You have great sons, General,” Ryosuke said while taking a seat on his mattress.

“Yes, thank you. You yourself is a great son of your father, Ryosuke. Shohei would be proud of you.”

Ryosuke flashed him a small smile. A bitter smile. He wanted to comfort Ryosuke somehow that he took a seat beside him.

“You will make Shohei’s dream come true, Ryosuke,” he said.

Ryosuke perked up, “My father’s dream?”

“Yes. No one but me knew about this, but Shohei had ever secretly initiated a negotiation with Takaki, with Yuya’s father. He was offered to create a dream-world… a new social order in Hakumei. Your father was tempted, but he dared not to take the risks. Thus he gave up. Yuya inherits his father’s dream. I’ve investigated him long before he took over the lead of Takaki Family. So… for you and him making and alliance, I believe you’re currently working on that plan, no?”

Ryosuke was taken aback, and he chuckled lightly. “That’s the merit of being head intelligent, Ryosuke.”

Ryosuke did not give any response, and he knew why, so he added, “Don’t worry. I’m not going to stop you.”

“Why?” Ryosuke finally responded.

“As Hakumei’s secrets-wielder, I know a lot of things behind the façade of every nobility; the nasty and awful things. I was hoping Shohei would accept Takaki’s offer back then, but I knew the risks were too high, and Shohei never wished to create any battle. Your father was too softhearted sometimes,” he gave a smile to Ryosuke before adding, “Besides, the pride of Chinen Family is the skills they have as shinobi. Nobility has nothing to do with it. So, it won’t affect us that much.”

Ryosuke casted his eyes down, seemed in contemplation. He understood how heavy the burden on Ryosuke’s shoulders, and he wanted to help, just like what he promised Shohei and his friends, that he would be a great uncle for all their children.

“I know you share it only with Makoto-kun, Ryosuke, but I have assumptions about your plans.”

Ryosuke turned at him, “What is it?”

“By the way you make Daiki stay behind, the alliance with Takaki Family, the secret tasks you bestow me, and the way you send your wife away, I can make a solid assumption.”

Ryosuke gave him an impassive look, but he knew there were questions swirling in Ryosuke’s mind.

He continued his talk, “I don’t know the exact plan, but I believe you plan something about Daiki. And the reason you send Mirai away is not solely because of her safety. You don’t want her to see you later bathing in blood… her family’s blood, no?”

Ryosuke avoided his eyes. “Don’t talk about it so leisurely, General. Ears are everywhere.”

He smiled, “Don’t worry. I have set my tent so that I will know if someone trespass my boundary. It’s safe to talk here.”

After a short silence, Ryosuke spoke, “Since when you realize it?”

“Since Makoto-kun gave me the list of names to be investigated. You’re planning something with the Takaki, and Makoto-kun assists you. He gave me several names in the top priority list and there are several Shida’s family members in it, so I assume you and Makoto-kun consider that they probably will be big hindrances to your plans. I can see how serious you are about your plans, so I dare assume that you won’t let them stop you. If you can’t get rid of them in the easy way, you will take the hard way. You will kill them. Am I wrong?”

“… that’s the last choice,” Ryosuke muttered.

“Yes, but still there is a possibility it will happen, and you take precautionary step by sending your wife away. Besides her safety, you’re also afraid of how she will see you should you really kill her family.”

Ryosuke buried his face in his palms. “… she may never forgive me.”

He squeezed Ryosuke’s shoulders weakly, “I was also scared when I sent Kei away back then. He is my first child and I love him so much. I was afraid when I was going to break out the truth to Kei, afraid of how he would see me. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter