The Dim Light

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 63 The Dim Light

 

Umika was babysitting Ainosuke today as Mirai had returned to work at the clinic after taking three days leave. Her daily routine changed ever since Yuri left for Hakumei. She did reduce the amount of orders she accepted though it decreased their income. Yuri left them an amount of money that could be enough for a month living, and it had been almost a month since he left, but she had not touched it even a coin, saving it as their allowance. Mirai could pay Ainosuke’s tuition fee by herself, and the rest needs were on her. The only changed was in the variety of their menus, that they could not have as many as before, but it was still decent as a healthy menu.

When Mirai worked and Ainosuke was in school, she would use the time for training for a couple hours or so, then after that proceeded to complete her customers’ orders. Mirai insisted to do all the house chores, except cooking, and that spared her from exhaustion.

She was currently in Mirai’s chamber after tucking Ainosuke to take a nap. While looking at the innocent face of her nephew, she recalled the short interaction between her and Ainosuke previously that had left a big question in her mind.

They were in the dining room. She was watching Ainosuke playing while waiting her cake in the oven.

“Auntie…?” Ainosuke who had been immersed with his toy cart suddenly called her.

She stood up from her chair then sat down before him on the carpet.

“What is it, Ai-chan?”

“Riku’s sister will marry next week, Auntie,” Ainosuke said.

She knew it because she got an order to make a wedding cake from Toyama family. “So?”

“When Auntie will marry, too?”

She was caught off guard by the innocent question. “Why do you ask that, Ai-chan?”

“Uncle Yuri is away… I’m lonely, Auntie,” Ainosuke started to whine. “If Auntie marry and have a baby, I will have a friend to play.”

She blinked, “EH? Ba…baby?”

She could only laugh awkwardly as a response.

Mariage. Why suddenly Ainosuke asked that? It was possibly because he did really feel lonely. Mirai had been so protective over her son that she did not allow him to play without any guard outside his school. It was a rare chance for Ainosuke to be able to play outside as she and Mirai was busy almost every day. The chances for Ainosuke were indeed with Yuri. Yuri would usually bring Ainosuke to stroll around the neighborhood or even go fishing or watching Yuri training in the woods. That added to the reasons why Yuri was Ainosuke’s favorite.

But… the question had her thought over it. It was not that she never thought about marriage. She of course dreamed about a family, too. When she was assigned as Mirai she never thought about it because her job meant she had to put all her life in it. Yet, as Ryosuke released her from the duty and told her to assist Yuri, she started to think about that. In fact, since they lived in this neighborhood, there were two men had asked for her hand, but it never went further than just an introduction date.

Now that she thought about it, she wondered why she refused them back then. They were not bad. One was an officer in the governmental province, Toyama-san’s brother, and the other was Yuri’s colleague, a trainer in Aoyama Family. She just did not feel anything when she was with them… she was bored when spending time with them… not like when she was with Yuri.

She sighed. She just realized it now. She missed Yuri. When he would return from Hakumei? She hoped it would be soon, and with a good news, too.

**********

Suzuka was browsing through the closet in her chamber when she caught a glimpse of a box. Inside the box was a beautiful silk dress. It was the gift she received three years ago.

“I don’t mean it other than as a gift to a friend. I know his taste and I’m sure he will like it if you wear it. I do wish you and him happiness. Congratulations on your wedding, Suzuka.”

That was what Yuma said back then, a week before her wedding.

If she traced her memories, never had she thought she would end up here. Back then, during the early war, she and Yuma was in not cold-not warm relationship, even at the start he showed her his hostility. Yet, everything changed after Yuma’s battalion was ambushed before the border of South Province and West Province. Yuma was injured, badly. They retreated with Keito took the lead. Keito assigned her to particularly tended Yuma’s wounds. It was possibly the turning point of her relationship with him. When they are retreating, reinforcement came for them. Takaki Yuya and his troops strengthened the battalion, and Yuya took the lead for their entire fleet. With his wounds, Yuma could not proceed further that Yuya ordered him to stay at his base in the South Province, and she with several medic personnel got the same order. So while the rest battalion proceeded to the capital, Yuma led a small squad back to Takaki’s base. Yuma spent about three weeks in the base before insisting to continue the journey. She could only comply and followed his lead.

From then on everything seemed usual. She was busy assisting the medical team while Yuma immersed in the front line with Ryosuke and the others. It was when victory started to incline towards Ryosuke’s side when Yuma sought her for private talk.

“Have you thought about what you will do after the battle?” he asked without a preamble.

“I think I’ll stay in the capital or travel around. I want to help the recovery after the battle. Why?”

“Would you like to stay in Matsudera?”

She widened her eyes, “… Matsudera? ...why?”

“As my gratitude you’ve tended me back then.”

“It’s my job. You don’t need to do that.”

He went silent for a while then resumed the talk, “You may travel around, but in the end you need a place to return. You still need a place you can call home. And… forgive me for saying this, but you have no one now, you have no home, so that’s why.  If it helps, consider my offer as a truce.”

“Truce?”

“I believe you knew I did not welcome your presence at the beginning. But now, I’ve accepted you as a part of this fleet. I think… possibly we can be friends from now on?”

She smiled hearing this, “Can I consider it as an offer from a friend, then?”

His mouth curved up a little, “Sure.” And before he left he asked, “Since I can’t address your surname, how should I call you?”

“Suzuka is alright, Nakayama-kun,” she answered.

“Alright… Suzuka.”

And then after that they did not communicate as the battle got intense once more. Just after everything settled, and Ryosuke claimed the throne, Yuma came to her when she was at the barrack outside the palace.

“Do you need something, Nakayama-kun?”

“I want to be honest with you,” he said with unusual uptightness.

“About what?”

“That… I can’t bear seeing you cry like yesterday. Let me protect you from now on, Suzuka,” he said.

She almost blushed as she remembered that the day before she had cried, and even this time her eyes still swollen, and Yuma was there to comfort her, even just by sitting beside her and lending his shoulder to her.

“I… I don’t understand,” she replied.

“I know you still can’t forget Yuto, but… is it wrong if I love you?”

She was at loss. This was too sudden. She never saw it coming.

“I just want you to know that I love you as a whole, with your past story and all. I can accept all of those. If you can give me a chance to win your heart, I promise, I’ll never abandon you, Suzuka.”

“Nakayama-kun…,” she struggled to find words to reply.

After a time, she eventually answered, “Please, give me time to think.”

And a week after that she told Yuma that she would give him a chance. He tried hard to impress her ever since then, but still with his own way. He was quiet, and it never changed, but he gave her the comfort she needed, a shoulder to lean on, and a protection. That time, Yuma was the only one she had. After two months she opened her heart for him, she eventually fell for him for real. At some point when their relationship reached six months, he asked her to marry him, and she said yes.

However, fate had different plan for them. Just two months after that, the bitterness arrived at her door. King Yamada Ryosuke graced her house, but told her the shocking news… that Yuma had to marry Takaki Haruna for avoiding a dispute between Nakayama Family and the royalty. The young king felt sorry and regretted that he could not find another way. She had been grateful that Ryosuke had allowed her to accompany her brother until his last day back then, and she could not ask more than she had been given. The king had been too kind to her, only because she was Mirai’s friend.

At last, she had to forsake her love, wishing Yuma and Haruna a true happiness, though she could only watch from the side-line when the newlywed caravan departed from the palace to the Nakayama castle in Matsudera. That hurt, but she had decided not to dwell in the sadness. Thus, she proceeded with her initial plan, joining the medical team in the capital for the recovery program.

In the end, happiness lied ahead of bitterness. After going through the hardness of her life, she eventually found her own happiness. It had been almost three years since she married her husband.

She ran a hand on the dress, and smiled. She had no courage to wear it after she received it back then that it was forgotten with the course of time. It was because that time she had not completely let go of her feeling for Yuma that wearing Yuma’s gift made her feel guilty to her husband. But now, she only had one man in her heart, and that was her husband. Counting that her third wedding anniversary would come soon, she thought she might wear the dress for that day, because just as Yuma said, the dress was indeed Yuto’s taste.

She put the dress back to the box, returning it to the closet, then took the dress she intended to take in the first place. She brought the dress to her maid to be ironed then continued her walk to the garden. In the middle of Nakajima’s mansion’s garden, making a flower chain with a maid, was her daughter.

“Mayuko,” she called while advancing towards the two years old toddler.

“Mother!”

Mayuko stood up then broke into a run and she caught her daughter in her arms.

**********

If there was one word could describe what Yuri felt right now, that would be anxiety. This was the second day after the night he confronted Ryutaro. He was offered to stay for another night, but he could not, he should not. Mirai and Ainosuke’s face appeared whenever the words Ryutaro spoke last night echoed in his mind. He was riding a horse through the road, heading to the capital.

“You know, Chii, I’m glad you were not here when he reigned. He is not the friend you used to know. Even I barely recognized him. So, if you intend to find him, don’t raise your hope too high.”

What was with those words? What had changed in Ryosuke that Ryutaro made those remarks? From all murmurs he caught before, he thought that Ryosuke had been a great king. People spoke his name with respect, but then why… It set uneasy feeling in him. He could not believe it before he met Ryosuke himself or at least got an explanation from Yuto.

He needed four days to reach the capital. He had been given a fake pass by Ryutaro as one of North Province’s officers as the security in the capital was tightened due to the Kingdoms Alliance Court visit. As he nudged his horse forward slowly after passing the capital check point, he absorbed the view around him. He barely recognized the city.

Five years… everything has changed.

Even as he remembered Yuto’s address given

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter