The Fallen Royalty

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Accompanied song: Screw (Hey! Say! BEST)

 

Chapter 27 The Fallen Royalty

 

Yuri barged in to the prison once he sensed something amiss with the arrival of a suspicious figure. He recognized the emblem on the man’s attire: the crest of Nishiuchi clan. It was more difficult than he predicted to sneak in as the guard was so tight. He heard commotion from a certain hallway. It was the hall where Ryosuke’s chamber located. Having no choice and because the anxiety was growing so fast, he deliberately broke through the guards.

Throwing daggers and kunai at the guards while running, dodging the coming attacks and knocking down the others, he reached a spot near Ryosuke’s chamber. As he was about to rushed into the chamber, the door broke from inside. A body of a guard was thrown to the floor and soon after Ryosuke emerged.

“Ryosuke!” he called while running to Ryosuke.

Ryosuke snapped his head to his direction and then run to meet him halfway.

“Chii, what happened outside?”

“Okamoto. We’re under attack!” He quickly assessed Ryosuke’s state and noticing bloods seeped from Ryosuke’s sleeve. “What’s happened with you?”

“Nishiuchi tried to kill me. Now, where is my brother?”

He saw reinforcement guards coming to them, and immediately dragged Ryosuke to run.

“Let’s get out of here first!” He bellowed above the shouts from their pursuer.

With their utmost speed, they dashed outside and soon they outrun their pursuer. Ryosuke kept dashing, looking for Keito and he run just close behind. Battles sparked almost in every corner and they tried pushing past them. They already reached the Royal Palace Force station when suddenly a figure appeared out of nowhere.

He widened his eyes recognizing who the figure was.

It’s him!

A man a head taller than him, with pale skin, dark tresses, and cold stare; he was the shinobi who ambushed him long time ago before Ryosuke’s wedding. Alerted, he pushed himself forward and slipped in between Ryosuke and the man, a dagger in each of his hands.

“Chill, Yuri-kun,” the man beat him from speaking.

He was surprised hearing the man addressed him with such familiarity, “Who are you and what do you want?”

“The name is Kei. I’m Keito-sama’s shadow.”

Hearing Keito’s name, Ryosuke rushed forward, “Where is aniki?”

“Assisting the defense in Inner Area.”

“They have broken through the Inner Wall?” Ryosuke clearly did not predict the occurrence.

“Yes, and that’s why he sent me to you. He instructed me to get you out of here immediately.”

“What?!” Ryosuke almost shouted. “No way! I’m not leaving him!” Ryosuke brushed Kei off and resumed his sprint.

He followed after Ryosuke, but just a second later he felt a sudden breeze flowed past him. The next thing he knew was Ryosuke’s unconscious form held by Kei’s arms.

“What have you done?!” He rushed to them.

“Just knocked him out.” Kei lifted Ryosuke and carried him on his shoulder. “His safety is our top priority. Let’s go!”

Kei leapt to the nearby roof and dashed above the battle on the ground. He did not have a choice but to follow him. After a time, they arrived at certain spot. He knew that somewhere around there was the secret tunnel to exit the palace. Just when they drop to the ground, they heard a noise of runs and at a few distance before them they saw a group of unknown armed men rushed closer.

“Yuri,” Kei called while lowering Ryosuke’s body. “Can you bring him?”

He knew Kei asked because he was smaller than Ryosuke. “I can manage.” He said firmly.

“Good. Here.” Kei put Ryosuke on his shoulder. “The tunnel is just behind the building. Leave now. I’ll hold them as long as I can.”

He nodded in understanding. He was about to sprint away when Kei suddenly called.

“Wait, Yuri!” Kei approached him and suddenly gave him a light hug. “Good luck, otouto.”

He blinked in mix of surprise and confusion, but before he could give a response, Kei had darted away to confront their pursuer. Feeling the weight on his shoulder, he shook his head and run toward the tunnel. Kei’s words kept ringing in his head, and he could not help but to mutter, “I don’t have a brother, do I?”

**********

Three figures run in the darkness of an underground tunnel, led only by the swaying fire of a torch. Yuto was in the front, followed by Mirai and Miru. He had memorized the route of this secret tunnel since his earlier days in Royal Palace Force.

As the sound of their sprint echoed by the curve of the wall, he looked back to his companions once in a while, making sure they were still behind him. He was grateful that both ladies were not slack in their run so that made their escape went smoothly so far.

The tunnel was long and led them to a place far beyond the palace, exactly somewhere in the forest along Amanogawa. After a couple hours running, he could see they would soon reach the edge of the tunnel as the darkness became less and less solid. True be told, in a half hour later they exited the tunnel.

As he blinked his eyes to adjust with the light, he helped Mirai stepped out from the darkness. He observed their surroundings. There should be someone waited them near the tunnel exit to bring tools for doing further journey. He led the ladies walked deeper to the forest with tentative steps. He should not let his guard down.

“Yuto-kun!” A feminine voice suddenly heard. He turned sharply to the direction of the voice and saw a tiny figure emerged from the shadow of trees.

“Ami-neechan!” he heard Mirai exclaimed. And true, it was indeed Yuri’s sister, Chinen Ami.

Ami scurried over. “Yokatta! You make it safely.”

“Ami-san?” He started unsurely, “Are you the one assist us?”

Ami nodded, “Yes. We have prepared your mounts.” She paused and observed his group. “There are only three of you?”

“Yes.”

She seemed weighing up her decision. “Alright. Follow me.” She led them away from the tunnel.

When they reached a certain spot, he could see five horses were secured, waiting for them.

Five horses? But we are only three. Does it mean…

As if read his mind, Ami explained, “Wait a little while. If in a quarter hour they do not show up, you go first.”

“Who are we waiting for?” Mirai asked.

“Prince Ryosuke.” He answered shortly, leaving Yuri’s name unspoken as he was not sure who would accompany Ryosuke escaping the palace.

He could see Mirai’s eyes became teary in an instant. In fact, he understood why for she had been asking about Ryosuke since their trip in the tunnel.

“Here,” Ami handed a bundle to Miru. “It is clothes and likely, some money and first aid remedy.”

“You’re coming with us, right, Neechan?” Mirai approached Ami.

Smiling gently, Ami answered, “No, Mirai. I stay here.”

“Eh? Why?”

Ami was shorter than Mirai, so she only patted Mirai’s shoulder, “Don’t worry. I’m with Hikaru here. Moreover, I have been trained as shinobi. I’ll be alright.”

Mirai gave Ami a tight hug and he smiled witnessing affection transpired between the ladies.

A quarter hour was short, yet when they were waiting in anxiety, it felt like years. The time was almost up, and he knew Mirai getting more and more worried as Ryosuke had not showed up yet.

“You should depart soon,” Ami advised them.

Yuto looked at Mirai who also looked back at him.

“Can we wait a little longer?” Mirai pleaded.

Before he could answer, sudden sound of rustle alerted them. He signed to the ladies to keep silent while he advanced to the source of noise, hand ready to draw his sword. All of a sudden, a figure appeared before him. He unsheathed his sword fast, but halted in an in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter