The Very First Reason

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Accompanying song: Gin no sekai negai wo komete (Yamada Ryosuke)

 

Chapter 36 The Very First Reason

 

“Please, let me,” the morning a week after Ryosuke tailed Mirai, he found her in his study chamber, asking him to let her participated in the Alliance’s troop as paramedic.

“You only prohibit me from entering the council, but not the troop,” she insisted further and he started doubting his sanity would remain the longer he was with her.

“I want to help you,” she said.

He put down his quill and stared at her, “Causing no trouble is the best way to help me.”

“You said I have to stop clinging to my brother, didn’t you? It’s my way to learn to do that.”

He was in between amused and annoyed sensing that she grew smarter every time they had an argument, always returning his words for her advantage.

“Besides, I have nothing to do here,” she added. “And as your wife, shouldn’t I take care of your people? I can’t cook well so I thought it’s impossible to help in the kitchen; I’m not a person who could stay still to participate in the knitting and sewing, too; and since I’m quite advance in medical field, I thought joining the paramedic has mutual benefit, for me and for the team.”

He thought over her insistence and carefully chose the wisest decision that would not cause him any more trouble.

“So?” she made that look of…what people called it? Oh, yes, she showed him her puppy look, but he fended it off.

“You can participate in the training,” he eventually answered and immediately added when seeing her triumph expression, “But I won’t let you join with the troop.”

She was about to protest but he beat her, “You just need something to do, so there. You can train with them, but when the real battle emerges, you have to stay behind. Period.”

He saw her shoulders slumped a bit before submitting, “Fine.”

“If there are no more things you want to discuss, I still have works to do,” he grabbed his quill and returned to his paperwork, dismissing her.

“Excuse me then,” he heard her said, and soon the sounds of her steps grew further and fainter.

After the door creaked opened, he heard her said, “Thank you, Ryosuke.” And then the door was closed.

He looked up and stared at the direction of the door. “My wife,” he muttered to himself as though trying to grasp the meaning of the word.

Suddenly the door creaked opened once more, this time revealing Ryutaro’s grinning face.

“I saw Neechan just exited the chamber,” Ryutaro chose to greet him this way.

“Could you obey the protocol just once, Ryutaro?” He countered while returning to his paper.

He heard the chair before his desk shifted against the floor and when he looked up, Ryutaro had sat himself comfortably. “Seems you stop pushing her away?” Came another bothering question.

“What do you need?” He did not take the bait.

Realizing he would not prolong the dillydallying, Ryutaro reported, “I think I have to travel down tomorrow most. I’m asking your permission and the things I should bring to them.”

He remembered the big task he gave to Ryutaro before, “Bring as many men as you need.” He pushed a box across the desk. It was his letters to be brought in the negotiation with Hakumei’s noble clans.

“I’ll just need a small squad to avoid suspicion, and I’m planning to pass by the south province to see if Daiki-kun is available for accompanying me.”

“I trust you. Do everything you think right.”

Ryutaro stood up carrying the box and staring down at him with expectant look.

“What?” he asked.

“Can’t you at least give me a farewell?”

He let a small smiled appeared before he stood up and rounded the desk to meet Ryutaro. He held out his hand, but when Ryutaro took it, he pulled the younger man forward, giving him a brief brotherly hug.

“Good luck and be safe,” he told him.

When he pulled away, he saw a genuine smile on Ryutaro’s face. “Better you have bonded well with her when I’m return.”

He frowned in annoyance, “Just go and prepare your leave.”

Ryutaro gave him a salute and then left the chamber.

After Ryutaro left, he returned to work, but he only last for minutes before he leaned his back on his chair. He was tired, but when he scanned through his agenda, he realized he still have one more matter to attend. Waiting for the next persons he expected, he almost fell asleep. He snapped out from his sleepiness when his guard bellowed one’s arrival.

He saw Yuri entered the room. He just realized he had missed the little man who once his shadow.

“You call me, Ryosuke?” Yuri asked without taking a seat.

“Aa,” he said. “I have a task for you, Chii.”

“What is it?”

He gave Yuri a knowing smile, “I’ll tell you, but after your partner arrives.”

“My partner?”

“Yes. I’ll have someone work with you.”

He knew Yuri used to work alone and he did not have any experience to work with other people except Yuto. Thus he thought pairing him with someone would do him good to readapt living in normalcy.

“Who?”

“You’ll know soon,” he answered. “Sit first.”

Yuri complied and took a seat in front of him while he let himself leaned on his chair once more.

“You look awful,” Yuri remarked.

“Am I?”

“Don’t wear yourself out.”

He shrugged, “Easy. I know my limit, Chii.”

“Yeah, but you also use to ignore it and push yourself too hard.”

He chuckled a bit, “I never thought I’ll miss your scolding until now.”

Yuri frowned, “Yeah, and now that I’m not your shadow, I’ll scold you as much as I want.”

He sensed anger in Yuri’s voice, “You’re still mad at me?”

Yuri folded his arms, “Of course. Very mad.” Then Yuri’s eyes softened, “But I’m also grateful.”

He did not know what he should say to respond, so he only gave Yuri a small smile.

“You seem a bit loosen up.” Yuri threw another remark.

He only raised a brow, asking Yuri to elaborate.

“It’s been so long since the last time I saw you chuckle and smile like this, though it’s still way too little than you used to.”

He let out a light sigh. “Maybe because part of my burden has been lifted since I knew who I really am.”

“And because you start to stop lying to yourself,” Yuri’s words perked his interest.

“Stop lying to myself?” He sent Yuri an inquiring look.

Yuri smiled sympathetically, “I’ve been your shadow so long, Ryosuke. I know your gestures and behavior so well. Maybe I was just too ignorant to notice that you’re in denial of your own feeling.”

He looked away to avoid Yuri’s gaze. He almost forgot that Yuri could read him too well, the merit of being his shadow all this time. The moment like this was the disadvantage of having him as his shadow.

“I’m wondering, Ryosuke, if she agreed to the marriage since the beginning, would you push her away like this?”

He did not give a respond, not only because he did not want to, but also he himself was wondering and had not found the answer yet.

“I remember you gave her two choices that time, and one of those was that you were willing to try if she would too. Why did you give her that choice?”

Just after Yuri finished, they heard the guard bellowed another arrival. He was grateful that it came at the right time and gave him a reason to evade Yuri’s question.

A figure of young woman entered the room, giving him reverence and sat after he invited her to. He saw the questioning look Yuri threw at him, but he fended it off.

“She’s going to be your partner, Chii,” he explained.

“What? She?” Yuri frowned deeply, asking whether he was serious.

“Let me introduce you, this is Chinen Yuri,” he said it to the young woman. “You may have heard about him for he is one of the best shinobi in Hakumei.”

“Yes, I have heard about him, Your Highness,” she replied.

“And Chii, this is Takano Miru, or should I call you,” he paused, “Kawashima Umika?”

She looked composed when answered, “I assume General Shida has told you about me?”

“Yes. I never thought that you’re a shinobi, though I’ve a suspicion before that you’re not an ordinary maid.” He said.

“Wait,” Yuri interrupted. “So, Mirai’s maid is a shinobi? And the name is Kawashima Umika?”

He shortly answered, “Yes.”

“I never knew Kawashima is still breeding shinobi,” Yuri stated.

“How about we listen to her explanation?” He responded to Yuri then asked her, “Will you?”

She nodded, “I’m a distant cousin of Mirai from her mother’s side. I’ve been assign to her since she was ten. I’ve used the name Takano Miru ever since then as disguise, and I’m the o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter