The Last Tears

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 58 The Last Tears

 

Umika was bringing a tray on her hands, followed by another maid. She brought lunch and herb for Mirai. She smiled remembering the reason why she brought more food to Mirai lately.

It had been a week since Ryosuke visited the residence after they arrived at the ground base. Truthfully, she was worried at first when she noticed the way he looked at Mirai that day. He never showed that kind of cold look to Mirai ever since they left the palace. Her anxiety worsened when she heard their rising voice that made her shunned the guards outside Mirai’s chamber away. She did not want them to hear their masters’ quarrel. She got more worried when Ryosuke asked her to call a doctor, but when she was instructed to boil the herb she could feel a bit relief. Though at first Ryosuke did not tell her, she knew what the herb meant. It was a certain potion for invigorating pregnancy. When she asked him, he eventually told her, yet forbad her to leak the news out and ordered her to keep Mirai away from people. She understood why he had to hide the fact that Mirai was pregnant. It was dangerous since they could not be sure there was no spy in their force. Mirai was Ryosuke’s strength and weakness at the same time. If the news reached their enemy, they could make Mirai as target; moreover Mirai was still in Hakumei. Thus, she had made sure Mirai was served by her trusted people and Ryosuke had put a strict protection around the residence.

She reached the chamber but halted when she saw Yuri leaned on the wall before the chamber. There was no guard who used to stand outside Mirai’s chamber. When he arrived? Wasn’t he guarding Ryunosuke in the castle? She wondered. Yuri noticed her presence right away and straightened his back.

“Ryosuke is with Mirai,” he said.

She nodded in understanding. Ryosuke stayed overnight every a couple days ever since he found out about Mirai’s pregnancy. It was the fourth visit. Ryosuke used to come alone, but today he brought Yuri. Yuri realized her situation that she could not knock on the door as her hands were occupied. Thus he knocked the door for her and asked for Ryosuke’s permission to enter the chamber. After being allowed, Yuri opened the door and she with her companion stepped inside.

She saw Mirai was still knitting a baby hat on her bed while Ryosuke sat right beside her with Mirai’s head rested slightly on his shoulder. She smiled at the sweet sight. After the trays were put down on the table beside the bed, Ryosuke ordered the other maid to leave while he beckoned her to come closer. That was when she noticed that Mirai’s expression was not too good. Mirai was sad.

“What is it?”

“I have to depart the day after tomorrow,” Ryosuke answered. It was when comprehension dawned on her. No wonder why Mirai was sad. Ryosuke would leave the base with his battalion. The battle was starting.

She sat down on the edge of the bed, facing the couple. “I’ll keep her safe, don’t worry,” she said to Ryosuke.

“Chii will be responsible for the safety. I need you more to keep her healthy,” he replied.

Mirai straightened her sit, putting down her knitting stuff, “You don’t have to worry about us, Ryosuke. We’ll be fine. Just focus on the battle.”

Ryosuke turned to his wife, “I will. I just want to make sure you’ll have all you need during my absence.”

She smiled witnessing the interaction, “Don’t worry, Ryosuke. I’ll ensure Mirai and the baby will be fine.”

“Thank you,” he said. “I’ll talk more with you and Chii later.”

She caught it as dismissal, so she asked, “Will you stay here tonight?”

“I’ll leave for the camp on the dawn-breaking,” he answered.

“Alright. I’ll have the maid prepare your needs.”

With this she rose to her feet, excused herself then left the chamber. She saw Yuri was still waiting outside. She realized that it was the first time they met since they parted ways for the mission several months ago.

“How are you?” she greeted eventually, letting out a small smile.

“I’m fine. You seem fine as well,” he said with his usual style, a bit indifferent.

Wondering if it was the influence from Ryosuke, she asked, “Have you eaten lunch?”

“Not yet. I’ll accept an offer for lunch as long as it isn’t burned,” there was a subtle smirk on his face.

She could not help but blush in embarrassment as she remembered the burned meat she made during their way to the capital back then. “That was an accident. I’m a good cook, mind you. And who said I offer you lunch?”

“I think I just said that I’ll accept an offer. I didn’t say it should be from you.”

She narrowed her eyes in annoyance, “Fine. Then excuse me, General.”

She was about to walk away when he said, “Isn’t it rude not to offer your guest a hospitality, Captain?”

She cringed as she heard that. She had not been used to the title even after months granted by Ryosuke. She frowned, “I’m not a host, and you’re not a guest. The rule can’t be applied then.”

He straightened his back, “Fine, fine. Let’s just eat already. I’m hungry.” He walked ahead of her.

“I’m not offering you food,” she tailed his steps.

“No, you aren’t. Instead, I order you to give me food, Captain.”

She cringed again hearing the title. This little man sure had his way with words. She walked behind him while wondering. Then after a time of walking, he suddenly halted. She just noticed they had reached the cross-hallway. He turned to her and asked, “Where is the kitchen?”

She was thinking about getting him back when suddenly his stomach growled. It was too low to be heard by ordinary ears, but not for their trained ears. She smirked and his face turned red.

He turned away immediately and said, “I told you I’m hungry. Hurry up.”

She chuckled but decided not to prolong their bicker. She walked ahead of him and led the way to the kitchen.

**********

Days passed. This was the day the last-yet-the-biggest-offending-battalion departed from the ground base. They had left the base more than half a day ago. It had been almost evening. Haruna followed Ryosuke and Yuto in the front row of their two thousands lining soldiers. Six hundreds of cavalry rode right behind them, and after that in successive order were the medical team, logistic, weaponry then, last, the infantry.

She had never been in this large force before as her people worked with guerilla methods: forming small groups to make quick, sudden, and separated attacks. It was rather overwhelming for her to ride among these people, clad in armor; sword on her waist while her bow and arrows were on her back. She took a deep breath subtly. She was nervous despite all her experiences. This battle was different than any assailant she had ever done: the purpose, the methods, the people…and of course the leader.

The only experience she was being under other’s lead was in her earlier days; that was under her father or Yuya. Yet the most imprinted in her mind was her time under Yuya’s lead. Yuya was decisive, always quick in making a move. He was affectionate yet he could also be cold and merciless. She could recall the moment the scariest Yuya emerged; that was when he hunted the traitors that tainted the name of Takaki Family by cooperating with Okamoto to attack the second prince, Yamada Ryosuke.

This time, she experienced a different lead. Yamada Ryosuke. He was a year younger than her and by the profile she got from Yuya, never involved in a real battle before. He should be inexperience, yet nothing in him leaked out that kind of impression. By almost two months spending time with him, she concluded that Ryosuke was as decisive as Yuya, might even a bit more than Yuya. His gaze was firm and unyielding. She never got a chance to spar with Ryosuke, but Yuto said Ryosuke was way better than him in almost everything, except swimming. She was difficult to defeat Yuto in swordsmanship, so she assumed that Ryosuke was indeed one of the best swordsmen in Hakumei, as the report said. Also, he was a great strategist. Yuya was the greatest strategist she had ever known before, but regarding their attitude towards risks, she should admit that Ryosuke could easily overshadow Yuya. Ryosuke was a risk-taker while Yuya sometimes wavered when the cost was too high compared to the benefit they would gain. That was why Yuya never considered about obliterating the throne because it was Hakumei’s fundamental existence and identity that had lasted for hundreds of years. But Ryosuke… he was willing to forsake everything to realize his plans.

Then, Ryosuke’s right-hand. Nakajima Yuto. He was way friendlier than Ryosuke, though at first he showed her his hostile. He was easier to read, but he was not an open book. He was a decent general; this was said for if she compared him to General Shida, Yuto was still immature, yet if he grew in the right shoes, she was sure he would be a great general in the future. Yuto and Ryosuke… their relationship gave off a vibe that soothing but menacing at the same time. Soothing because it was obvious how great they put trust to each other; that was something she never had. Menacing because who would not be intimidated by a bond tied by an unconditional trust between two greatest power-wielders, one was the heir of the throne while the other was the head of one of the powerful clans, in Hakumei.

She admitted that these two men had earned her respect just in the short time they worked together.

Despite all, the most captivating was the bond between people around Ryosuke. It was something that she never found in her own family troops. Ryosuke was cold and intimidating, but instead of fear, his people saw him with respect. Ryosuke and his youngster minions were more like a group of friends. She remembered how Yuma, despite politely, called Ryosuke by his given name; that was rare for a Nakayama that known by their strict upbringing about master-servant relationship. Also, how Ryutaro’s laid-back manner towards Ryosuke, or… how the mysterious mask-man in Ryosuke’s council, who was called as Captain, without a name, laughed at Ryosuke when she unintentionally walked into their conversation in the commander tent.

And of course, the romance between the prince and his lady… She recalled the moment they visited the residence a couple hours before they departed.

Ryosuke and Yuto were about to ride when they stumbled upon her in the gate. Having nothing else to do she asked whether she could go with them. They allowed her, though she caught a little reluctance in Ryosuke’s gesture at first. There were two women and a man waiting for them before the residence. The ladies were sitting on a bench while the man leaned on a tree not far from the bench. Later she knew from Yuto that they were Lady Shida Mirai, Lady Kawashima Umika, and General Chinen Yuri. Upon seeing them, Ryosuke dismounted his stallion a bit hurriedly. That was the first time she saw Ryosuke showed a worry gesture.

“Why are you outside?” Ryosuke approached Mirai while she and Yuto kept their distance.

Mirai smiled, “So you won’t have to waste more time to reach my place.”

“I’m sorry, Ryosuke, but she insisted to wait you here,” Yuri spoke, coming to stand beside Umika.

Ryosuke turned to Yuri, “Alright. But if she gets stubborn next time, don’t yield to her request.”

Mirai pouted, “I’m not stubborn. I just want you to have more time to prepare for the battle.”

She saw Ryosuke put a hand on Mirai’s head, “It’s not necessary, but thank you for your concern.”

“You’re welcome,” Mirai’s smile was bright, she admitted.

Yuto stepped forward so she did the same. Mirai noticed them approaching and smiled at them.

“How are you, Mirai?” Yuto greeted.

Ryosuke stepped aside to let Mirai saw them fully.

“I’m fine, Yuto-kun,” Mirai said before turning to her. Smiling, Mirai took steps closer to her and held out a hand, “I’m Mirai. Nice to meet you, Haruna-san.”

She noticed the way Mirai addressed her by her given name despite it was their first meeting. They were at the same level after all. She mustered a small smile to reply and took the hand, “The pleasure is mine, Mirai-san.”

“I hope we will have a chance in the future to know each other, Haruna-san. I will be glad to befriend you,” Mirai offered another warm smile and she could not help but return it with her sincere smile.

“I hope so,” she replied.

“When are you going to depart, Ryosuke?” Yuri shifted the talk.

“In two hours,” Ryosuke answered.

“Please be safe all of you,” Mirai returned to Ryosuke’s side.

“We’ll protect each other, don’t worry,” Yuto replied.

“I trust Mirai to both of you, Chii, Umika,” Ryosuke said to Yuri and Umika.

“We’ll do as you wish,” Umika spoke for the first time.

“You should listen to them from now on,” this time Ryosuke said to Mirai, his tone was surprisingly tender.

“I will. I promise. Don’t worry about us.”

There was a short silence hanged in the air before someone spoke.

“I need to take something,” Umika said before walking towards the residence.

“I’m coming with you,” Yuri spoke before turning to Ryosuke. “Good luck, Ryosuke, Yuto.” Then he left them.

“We will wait over there, Ryosuke,” Yuto said, pulling her with him.

She followed in understanding. It seemed they intended to give privacy to Ryosuke and Mirai. True be told, after she walked away and was about mounted her horse, she caught a glimpse that made her looked away immediately. Yuto chuckled beside her while nudging his stallion forward in relax manner.

“What are you laughing at?” she asked.

“Your expression. Do you realize that you’re blushing just now?” Yuto smiled; a hint of teasing in his voice.

She looked away. “What are you talking about?” she retorted.

Yuto only replied with another short chuckle. While they were riding slowly to wait for Ryosuke, she assessed Yuto’s statement just now. It was understandable if she blushed. As boyish as she was, it was still embarrassing to see the usually-cold-and-stoic Ryosuke kissing Mirai.

She shook her head subtly to get rid of the picture from her head and refocused her mind to the two men before her. Ryosuke was talking with Yuto about something. She assumed it was about break-time as she saw Yuto raised his hand high after that and soon behind them a chain of orders were bellowed simultaneously by the captains of their squads, signing the troops to take a break to have their meals before continuing the journey.

Ryosuke and Yuto dismounted their horses almost at the same time. As she came closer to their spot, she saw a sky-blue cloth with a golden-five-edges-star-embroidery tied on Ryosuke’s sword hilt, given by Mirai as a good luck charm, she assumed. She dismounted her horse, secured it on the nearby tree then joined them.

**********

It had been a week since their departure from the base. Yuto had just finished inspecting the temporary camp the troops set for resting. It was the first camp they set so far. They had reached Sakai, the second rural area in the Near-East Province, just two villages from Matsudera—which was the capital of Far-East Province—and only separated by a vast forest and farming field with Azuma, the capital of the province. They had to open some parts of the forest outside the civil area to set the camp as Ryosuke forbad them from using the farming field. Near-East Province was led by Hiroshi, a minor clan that chose not to side with either Yamada or Okamoto. Ryosuke had sent the scouting team to ask for the Governor’s cooperation by not disturbing the troops’ movement even before they departed from the base and they had received a positive answer. Yet, they had to reconfirm the answer before reaching the border of Azuma as precautionary.

As he walked into the commander tent, he saw Ryosuke was still busy reviewing the report he had given him yesterday. Ryosuke had asked him to gather the information about the other kingdoms except Seiryoku. They had received the news that Kingdoms Alliance Court had issued a warning of embargo towards Hakumei if the war broke out. By the things going on, he could assume that the warning soon would be realized as an act. Hakumei would be isolated sooner or later.

“Yuto-kun,” Ryosuke called without looking up from the pile of paper he was working on.

He strode closer to the desk and asked, “Do you need something?”

“About two weeks from now, I may need to return to Matsudera. Will you be able to proceed without me for awhile? If I really go, I won’t be long, probably a wee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter