Missions

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 49 Missions

 

It had been a week since the spring arrived. It meant it had been a month since Kei and Yuri departed from Matsudera for their mission. Kei was sitting in the cafeteria of his inn, waiting for Yuri to go down from the chamber they rented together.

He recalled the occurrences during the past month.

They needed a week to travel through forests and back-roads until they reached Hokubu, the nearest city to the capital. From there, Umika’s squad separated themselves to start their mission to infiltrate the palace as maids. An old lady named Lady Maeko served as their insider.

Meanwhile, Yuri’s squad was staying behind for a day then parted ways according to the task they were given and headed to the capital. He and Yuri would monitor the capital while the other nine men had varies of tasks such as retrieving information from Umika’s squad in the palace, strolling in the downtown of capital as sellers to get contact with the other spies, and the rest stayed undercover, spreading out in the capital waiting for further instruction from Yuri while trying to assess the circumstance.

He and Yuri had been a week stayed in this inn while the other two week they spent either in other inn or wandered in the city. They portrayed themselves as artiste siblings who traveled to the capital to look for inspirations. He enjoyed his role much, moreover when he had to do a street performance with his flute and Yuri would collect the coins from audiences. It reminded him of his childhood; a time when he was in the training camp and had not been assigned as a shadow; when he only knew that he was an orphan with the name Kei without any surname and that the man visited him regularly was only a kindhearted man, not his father.

The flute itself was from General Chinen Juudai, a gift as he passed the first examination as a junior shinobi when he was five years old. He had wished that if he ever met his father, his father would be as kind and funny as the general. Never he thought his wish would come true years later.

He lived in a carefree style, always believed he just needed to follow the flow of life to enjoy it. He was difficult to love other, but difficult to hate one either. He always kept things or people at bay in order to be able to think cold-headedly. Thus when he was eight years old and told that the general was indeed his father, he was surprised and angry, but it only lasted for a short time. He quickly accepted his predicament. He even felt happy that finally he had a family.

He finished all his trainings a half year after that and he was brought to Chinen manor, and that was the first time he saw his mother and his siblings, Ami was six while Yuri was three, but still unable to address them as his family as it was forbidden. His identity should be kept secret because he was prepared as a shadow for the crown prince. He lived in Chinen manor as General Chinen Juudai’s disciple, but hardly interacted with others.

A year after that he was brought to meet a man who later he knew as King Shohei and a meek boy who he had assumed as the crown prince. That time, Keito was slightly more than five years old. He stayed at Keito’s side as his playmate or half-shadow for a half year while a senior shinobi monitor them. That was also when he came to know the presence of the second prince, Ryosuke.

He had been taught that a shadow, moreover a crown prince shadow, would need to harden their heart in order not to be traumatic when doing their jobs. Yet, he still wasn’t prepared enough when the senior shinobi brought him to his first mission to decide whether he was capable of being a full-shadow; that was murdering the assassin sent to Keito. Though the mission was successful, he was trembling hard watching the bloody dagger in his hand. Yet, his carefree thinking had him overcome it relatively easy.

He learned quickly about his responsibility toward the kid, the way he used to address Keito. He realized there were so many people targeting Keito’s life because he was the crown prince. He grew his skills faster just in a couple months and he was sent for solo-guarding Keito more often. When he was eleven, slightly a year after assigned as a shadow, he was finally allowed being a full-shadow. Ever since then there were numerous people died in his hands, be it assassins or spies or anyone who became a serious threat for Keito. Killing people became as easy as killing birds.

When he had used to his life as a shadow, with no attachment except to his substance, Yuri came as a new shadow in the palace. It was six years after he became a shadow. Yuri was nine, almost a year earlier than him when the first time he was assigned to the job. As the crown prince’s shadow, he had the privilege to know the identity of the other shadows around the palace. He kept an eye on Yuri’s moves more than needed because unconsciously he had a worry for his little brother. He knew that the danger around the second prince could be as much as around the crown prince, considering that it came from Okamoto and its allies.

He only realized about his affection toward his brother after the order he received from Keito to halt the second prince moves of breaking the plan of the arranged marriage by inflicting wounds on Ryosuke’s shadow. That time, Keito had not known that Ryosuke’s shadow was Yuri. He confronted Yuri and learned to know how much his brother had grown. He could have wounded him badly that time, but something in him held him back.

He refrained from inflicting fatal wounds or hurting Yuri’s vital points. He even guarded Yuri’s escape to the palace after their confrontation, making sure his brother reached the palace. His chest clenched as he saw Yuri’s collapse in Ryosuke’s arms; and when he knew Yuri fell into comatose, that was the first time he felt down and frustrated that Keito noticed it. That was also the first time he opened up to Keito and told him about his circumstance. Upon seeing remorse contorted in Keito’s face and he did not like it, he came to understand another feeling; that he also had grown fond of the meek boy that had grown to be a quite strong man who was also his substance.

“Morning, Yuuji-kun,” he heard the waitress greeted a newcomer and he saw Yuri entered. Yuuji was Yuri’s name for the mission, while he himself was Kenji.

Yuri came over his table. “Morning, Aniki,” Yuri greeted him as though they were close. Though he knew it was just a cover for their mission, he could not help but smile when greeting back.

“Morning, Yuuji. Let’s eat then head out,” he said, pointing at the food on the table.

Yuri nodded and soon they were enjoying their breakfast without any word exchanged in between.

After that, they strolled around the downtown. Today was his schedule to do a street performance, a way to gather report from their men. While walking to the park near the central market, he observed the passerby around them. He noticed the mercenaries. They were all over the place, sometimes caused a ruckus with people by fighting or committing violence. Citizen had no choice but live with masked fears. Then, some buildings were left untouched while the others burnt down till ashes. Other than that, nothing seemed unusual. People talked and conversed. Children ran to school or played with their peers. It was as though the battle during Okamoto’s rebellion never happened.

Girls murmured in amazement as they walked on the street. He smirked. Of course, two beautiful men among the crowd of rough workers would stand out. Noticing the blush on Yuri’s face, he hid a gentle smile behind his sleeve. His little brother was so naïve when it came to girls, totally different from his opponent way back then who threw him fierce glares and précised moves. At this realization he frowned.

He was grateful that Yuri had stopped being a shadow and that Yuri had not entirely hardened his heart, not like him. During these past three weeks with Yuri, he came to understand that Yuri was undoubtedly skillful, more than capable to lead this mission, yet he noticed the slight nervousness in Yuri’s gestures. He also recalled the clingy tone in Yuri’s voice when he talked with Ryosuke before they departed—barely noticeable but it was there. Now, he concluded that behind the tough exterior Yuri put on, there was still a pure child inside.

They had arrived at their destination and he immediately started his performance. The melodic sound flowed out from the flute. Yuri was watching from the side line when the crowd gathered slowly around them. One song finished and he readied himself to play another one. He noticed one of their spies among the crowd and Yuri started to collect the coins with his hat. He played the third song and noticed the exchanged gaze between Yuri and the spy. He knew right away that the thing they have been waited had finally come.

He gazed at Yuri’s form and wondered what this coming battle would do to his little brother. There was a strong urge inside him to protect Yuri, even more than the awareness of duty he felt toward Keito.

“Ah, that’s quite big amount,” he exclaimed with happy voice seeing the coins inside the hat after the performance finished.

“We’re lucky today, aren’t we Aniki?” Yuri flashed a smile to him, a wary smile. “How if we just head back? This is enough for a week, you know.”

“Lead the way then, Yuuji-chan,” he chuckled lightly. He really enjoyed this role, a big brother.

They headed back to the inn and welcomed by the owner who offered to bring them lunch to their chamber. He said they would come down by themselves to get it. Arriving at their chamber, the happy-go-lucky appearance dissipated.

“A news?” he asked.

Yuri handed him a very tiny roll of paper and he opened it.

Next week. Hunting. North.

“It’s show time, then,” he smiled and ruffled Yuri’s hair briefly which earned Yuri’s frown and scowl.

“Oi! Stop that!” Yuri protested.

He shrugged it off and said, “I’ll take a nap then. Wake me up at lunch.”

He faked a yawn and rolled down the futon before claiming the space.

“Gee, at a time like this you’re still able to nap,” Yuri’s voice came from his side.

“I’ll spoil myself while I can. Now, let me sleep,” he said with sleepy voice.

He heard Yuri grunted annoyance before the sounds of his footsteps faded. He opened his eyes and took a peek at the sitting Yuri on the window sill, gazing downward to the street. He shifted so his back was against Yuri. He contemplated on the circumstance.

“Next week. Hunting. North,” he repeated the words in discreet voice.

He recalled their mission.

“Bring Kamiki Ryunosuke to me alive,” Ryosuke parting

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter