In the Eyes of Beholder

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 8 In the Eyes of Beholder

 

“I’m staying here for the night,” Ryosuke said.

He noticed the maid, Miru he recalled, widened her eyes slightly, twinkle in her eyes. It was as though she had expected it but still amused to hear it for real. And for the lady, he reminded himself, he should ask for her forgiveness later. Mirai stood still, face obviously in shock: jaw tightened hard, lips in straight line, eyes widened.

After all the maids left and the room had been locked, Ryosuke turned around to face the still-in-shock Mirai. “Don’t be too surprised,” he said, arms folded on his chest, waking Mirai up.

“Wha-what…,” she was still unable to speak.

“What am I doing here? Just doing what people think I should do.”

“What do people…”

“What do people think I should do? It’s spending time with my wife.”

Mirai took a deep breath then exhaled it slowly, her way to get rid of the shock. Ryosuke was watching, slightly amused.

“Why… why we should do it again? I mean, spending the night together,” a blush tinted her cheeks.

“No need to worry,” he noticed the tight grip she had on her robe. “I won’t do anything to you.”

“But… still… how could I sleep when you are here?”

Ryosuke’s brow went up, “You didn’t seem bothered last night.”

Mirai’s eyes widened, but narrowed back, “You moved me to the bed!” The realization just came to her all of a sudden.

Ryosuke shrugged. Though other women might think his act was sweet, Mirai gritted her teeth in annoyance. “Sir!” She said, “Do you know it’s improper to touch someone without permission?”

Ryosuke walked to the chair near the window and sat in his regal manner, “I was only doing you a favor.”

Mirai counted to ten in her head, He is the prince, Mirai! It’s not good to be mad at him.

“Fine!” After collecting herself Mirai asked, “So, what now?”

After making sure Mirai was calmer, Ryosuke changed his laid-back manner to the serious one. “I come to discuss something.”

Mirai sat on her bed, facing Ryosuke from beside. “What is that?”

“About the council meeting tomorrow.”

“What of it?”

“You were doing good enough this morning, but tomorrow are going to be harder. “

Mirai blinked, Did he just compliment me?

Ryosuke turned around in his sit, now fully facing Mirai, “What do you know about the council?”

Mirai told him everything she knew. Ryosuke noticed the change in her expression when she mentioned her brother as the representative of Shida Family.

“So,” he analyzed, “you don’t know about the members other than those two?” He referred to Hikaru and Ami.

Mirai shook her head, “No. Not yet. But just before you come I received a report containing their information.”

Ryosuke narrowed his eyes slightly, “May I see it?”

Mirai took the pile of paper laid on her bed and handed it to him. He flipped the pages, scanning the information. A suspicion rose in his mind. “Who gave you this report?”

Mirai carefully thought, “Why?”

“Nothing, just this report is very detail,” he handed the report back to Mirai. Too detail, he added in his mind.

“It’s one of my people,” was the safest answer Mirai chose. She had learned that sometimes it was better to keep things for herself. Moreover, she had not put her trust on the prince entirely.

Ryosuke did not pursue further. “Good then. Just learn it and prepare for tomorrow.”

Mirai hesitated, “But… what exactly should I do?”

He eyed her for a time, contemplating. Even for him, impressed the council was not easy. It was more likely that Mirai would have tougher time with them since she was ‘the new assessment’. He had dragged her, though not directly, into his life so he would not leave her alone to deal with everything. Not her. Not again. He would not repeat his mistake.

“Listen,” he started, giving Mirai advices.

**********

Ryosuke left the Eastern Wings just as the dawn breaking. He did not intent to stay until morning initially, but the talk with Mirai had spent almost entire night. He hoped it would not affect Mirai’s performance in front of the council because she had already looked too tired.

The sudden ruffle of leaves alerted him. He felt someone coming nearer and it was not his shadow since Yuri would never give him warning before he appeared. Stopping his steps, he stood and observed the surroundings. A figure landed behind him.

“Your Highness,” a restrained voice called.

Ryosuke turned around and saw the man he expected. He had not mistaken. The tall and slender body, cold eyes, and the masked he wore to hide half of his face, those were all Ryosuke had recognized. The man before him was none other than his brother’s shadow.

“What does he want?” Ryosuke straightly asked to the point.

The shadow presented him a parchment. It must be highly confidential for it delivered this way.

“Did it come with other?” Ryosuke asked further after taking the parchment.

“He only said that he’s going to do whatever to help.”

“Send him my gratitude.”

The shadow nodded then leapt and disappear. Just a second after that, Yuri appeared.

“Who was that?” The way Yuri asked would sound rude unless Ryosuke know him well.

“A shadow.”

“Whose?”

“Aniki. Why? You know him?”

Yuri shook his head, “No.” But he felt familiar.

Just when Ryosuke about to walk away, Yuri asked more, “When was the first time you meet him?”

Ryosuke narrowed his eyes, “How do you know this is not the first time?”

“You were not surprise to see him, more likely that you have expected him to come to you.”

“Aa,” Ryosuke acknowledged Yuri’s observation. “This is the second time. The first was a month ago, I guess. He came to deliver my brother’s message.”

Yuri counted the time. “Did it occur during my absence?”

Ryosuke tried recalling his memories. “Yes.” He met the shadow indeed when Yuri was in comatose last month. Hearing the answer, Yuri’s eyes darkened.

“Ryo.”

The way Yuri called him by that nickname could be counted by the fingers. And it was only when Yuri demanded him something serious. So when he heard it this time and connected it with the conversation they just had, Ryosuke understood what Yuri was going to ask.

“Not now, Chii,” he said apologetically. “After the council meeting. I promise.”

“Fine, just… don’t do anything reckless.”

“I know, don’t worry.”

**********

Mirai tried to walk confidently, as regal as she could muster: back straight, eyes stilled, and jaw angled in a proud manner.

"Do not show fear."

She had rehearsed the meeting with Ryosuke last night. Ryosuke walked beside her. He had offered her his arm this time.

"We will do it together."

The council meeting room was stood majestically in front of them. She took a deep breath and felt Ryosuke’s hand above her own. She looked up to him. He did not smile or say a word, but the moment their eyes met, she knew that she would not head into this war alone.

The door was opened and they walked into the room. She could see the theater-seat and the faces of the members. Throwing a quick glance around the room, she recognized her brother. It was still hurt to see him, but having someone she knew in the room somehow gave her a little comfort.

Ryosuke put a light pressure on her hand that holding his arm, signed her to let go, and she did. He walked three steps ahead, giving a proper bow.

“My honorable ladies and gentlemen,” his voice did not betray anything but confidence. “I present you the new royal lady of Hakumei, my honor wife, Lady Mirai of Shida Family.”

That was her signed to step forward. During her time in Royal Academy, Mirai had learned how to behave properly as a noble lady. She might reluctant to act as one in real life, but it did not mean she could not do it well when needed. The second she stepped to face those challenging stares, she had transformed herself completely into another character she had never had a chance to show.

“Please accept my greeting, honorable council,” she curtsied.

The members almost simultaneously bowed in return. A man who sat in the front line stood and clapped, silencing the murmurs that started to fill the room.

"Prime Minister Okamoto Shinsaku, older brother of Queen Yumi."

Mirai recognized him and recalled what Ryosuke said about the man.

"He has similar traits as the Queen. Perfectionist though a bit friendlier. When you speak to him, smile and don’t waver whatever he says. Don’t feel intimidated by his stern facial expression. Raise his pride by complimenting anything you can think

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter