Getting Closer

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 66 Getting Closer

 

It was somewhere in the South-East Province of Hakumei. It was a new village built after the war, above the ex Alliance troops’ camp. In a distance away near the forest, someone could see a vast grass-patch surrounded by fences. Horses were running around the ground, seemed enjoying the little freedom after being let off their stables. Not far from the ground was an estate with traditional design. A man in his twenties dismounted his horse and a teen boy took the reign then led the horse away. The man walked into the house.

“I’m home,” he bellowed.

“Welcome home,” he heard his wife’s voice replied.

Soon, he heard footsteps running towards him and then a slightly-over-six-year-old little girl emerged. He squatted down to receive his daughter.

“Father… welcome home.”

Carrying his daughter in his arms, he resumed his walk towards the kitchen and asked to the girl, “How is school today?”

“It is fun. But I was shy when teacher asked me to speak in front of class,” the girl answered timidly.

He smiled encouragingly, “But did you speak?”

The girl nodded, then said, “But I stuttered, Father.”

“It’s alright. The most important is you did not run away.”

The girl beamed. “I want to be able to speak like Father and Uncle.”

“You will if you never stop practicing.”

“Okay.”

That was when his wife chose to interrupt the small talk. “How is the trip, dear?” She tiptoed to give a quick peck on his cheek.

“It’s going well. Yuma said we should prepare about fifteen stallion and thirty mares for next month.”

She took their daughter from him and said, “Would you like to eat or take a bath first?”

“Take a bath, I think.”

“I’ll prepare your bath then. Can you watch over Akari first? She tends to run to the stable if not being watched,” she put down their daughter.

“Alright.” Keito watched Nami left the room then said, “Come on, Akari.”

Keito took Akari’s hand and led her to the middle porch of their house. He sat down on the parquet and put Akari on his lap. He leaned his back on the wooden pillar while enjoying the view of the garden in the middle yard.

“Father, are you tired?” Akari nestled to him.

“A little.”

As he finished, he felt Akari’s tiny hands massaged his right arm. He looked down and saw his daughter had an expectant look on her face. He knew right then that his daughter wanted to ask something.

“What is it?” he asked.

“When Uncle Ryo will visit again, Father?”

His gaze softened. Akari had been fond of Ryosuke since the first time Ryosuke brought her for horseback riding a month ago. “I don’t know, Akari.”

“Why Uncle didn’t stay with us, Father. You said it’s Uncle’s house, too.”

“Your uncle has to pick up his family, dear. Once he finds them, he will return and stay with us.”

“Really?”

He nodded his answer. “Now, let me enjoy a short nap before your mother comes, ‘kay?”

“Alright, Father.” Akari stopped massaging his arm and snuggled silently in his embrace. He closed his eyes, reminiscing about all had happened these past five years.

He was badly injured in the battle with Okamoto that caused him unable to wield a sword anymore now. He did not know what happened exactly after the battle as he was confined in his room, due to his identity and wounds. A week after they arrived at the palace, Ryosuke brought Nami and Akari to his chamber, and burst of tears could not be evaded as he reunited with his family. That time, Akari had been a year and two months years old.

He needed two months to recover, so he stayed hidden in the Inner Palace during that time. At the beginning of the third month of the spring, Ryosuke sent him to this estate. Ryosuke had built this estate right after the battle ended with the help of Ryutaro. He was told that Ryosuke prepared the estate for Mirai and their child if ever they returned to Hakumei later. And since Ryosuke was so busy with his duty, Ryosuke asked him to look after the house, though he knew it was just Ryosuke’s way to ask him to live together in the estate. He and Ryosuke had the same interest in horses, thus they also agreed to start the business of breeding horses together for their future live.

Five years… Ryosuke never visited them here until a month ago. He only received news from Yuto all this time, including Ryosuke’s sudden disappearance after they feigned his death. He had been very worried as he was also told that Ryosuke left the palace with his condition had not recovered fully. Thus, when suddenly Ryosuke appeared before the estate, smiling and greeting him, he could not refrain from pulling his brother to his embrace and crying.

He did not know the reason why Ryosuke had to hide from all his friends. Ryosuke refused to answer when he asked about that. Ryosuke also did not want to tell him what he had been doing all this time, and eventually Ryosuke asked him not to question anything about his disappearance, so he had to repress his curiosity.

Ryosuke only stayed for three days, but it was enough to make Akari could not let go of him when Ryosuke was going to depart. It needed a round of riding and Ryosuke’s promise to return here for Akari to be able to stop crying and let Ryosuke go.

He remembered in one of their short talks during Ryosuke’s stay, Ryosuke said he wished he would have a chance to live peacefully as commoner while enjoying the view of their horses running around the ground with his family. And he did hope Ryosuke’s wishes would come true.

“Your bath is ready,” he heard Nami said.

When he opened his eyes and turned to the direction of her voice, he saw her cradled a toddler in her arms, their two-year-old son. Akari sprang to her mother as she saw her little brother. He smiled as he saw his own family. Nami was still as she was; Akari, their timid little girl; and…

“Sho-chan, let’s play! Mother, can we?” Akari looked up to her little brother.

…and Shohei, their youngest family member. He wished Ryosuke’s family would join them soon here.

**********

“Ainosuke!”

Mirai’s voice rang out around their little house as Ainosuke broke from her hold and sprang to their bedroom. She jogged after her son, but Umika stopped her before the door.

“What happened, Mi-chan? Why are you so early? The school hasn’t ended, right?”

She had to repress her worry to answer, “Ainosuke fought with his school mate.”

Umika widened her eyes. “Ai-chan? Fight?”

She knew how surprised Umika was because she could not believe it either. Ainosuke was always sweet and cheerful. He was stubborn sometimes, but he was never a brutish or liked to pick a fight. In fact, Ainosuke was loved by his friends.

“Actually Ainosuke was the one who hit his friend and that friend did not hit him back. He did not want to tell why, thus his teacher sent for me, and I brought him home.”

Before Umika could form a response, they heard a sob from inside, and her heart clenched.

“I’m going in, Umika,” she said while turning the door knob then stepped in.

She saw Ainosuke sprawled, lying down the bed on his stomach, face buried onto the pillow. She sat down beside her son on the bed. She could hear his sobs muffled.

Leaning down and his head, she muttered softly, “What’s wrong, dear?”

Ainosuke continued sobbing for a while before he sat up and hug her tightly, “He… he was mean… Mother…” He said with muffled voice.

She cradled him closer, “Why? Did he say you are small again?” Ainosuke sometimes was teased because among his friends, he was one of the smallest kids.

Ainosuke shook his head but continued sobbing.

“Then why?”

“He… he said… I was lying…” he answered in between his sobs and she waited patiently until he finished telling her. “He… he said… father won’t come home… he said… I have no father…”

As Ainosuke’s wailed, her heart clenched painfully. She pulled her son tighter and rubbed his back slowly, seeking comfort for her own ache as she heard the words. Those were really mean. She could not blame Ainosuke to go out of his way this time.

“Father… will come home… right, Mother?”

“He will. You don’t have to worry about what people say, son.”

It took awhile before Ainosuke’s cry ceased. When he had been calm, she lifted Ainosuke to sit on her lap. While wiping his tears off his cheeks, she started, “Was it hurt when you heard what your friend said?”

Ainosuke nodded.

“That’s why you should not do it to your friend, dear. Words can hurt people more than your fist.”

Ainosuke nodded once more. “I won’t be mean, Mother.”

“Mother was worried when you’re crying. Your friend was crying, too, right?”

Ainosuke nodded.

“Do you think his mother was sad, too?”

Again, her son nodded. “I won’t repeat it again, Mother.”

She smiled as Ainosuke understood her meaning. “Do you hate your friend now?”

Ainosuke shook his head, “Mother said I should not hate anyone no matter what they do.”

“Yes, that’s right,” she kissed the top of his head. “You can dislike someone, but never hate them.”

Ainosuke nodded. She remembered about the way Ryosuke made two siblings made up after fighting long time ago when they were in the festival during the short campaign.

“You know, dear, your father said, a true man isn’t embarrassed to apologize first. Do you want to be a true man?”

Ainosuke nodded then asked, “So, I have to apologize to Kouki first, Mother?”

She smiled, “Which one do you prefer, a friend or an enemy?”

“A friend.”

“So?”

“I will apologize tomorrow.”

She ruffled his hair lovingly. “That’s my son.”

Ainosuke chuckled and soon the sadness dissipated from the air, though it lingered in her heart.

“Now, let’s get you change your clothes.”

When she just about ed Ainosuke’s uniform, he shrieked away from her, running to their wardrobe and hiding behind the closet door.

“I can change by myself, Mother.”

“Eh?”

“I am a big boy, now.”

At this she chuckled. It had been a week Ainosuke did not want to be bathed by either her or Umika. He said that was embarrassing. In her smile, she hid her wary. Ainosuke grew up fast. His way of thinking even grew faster than they estimated. She had to think another answer if later Ainosuke asked why his father had not come home.

**********

Yuto was in his office. He had to stand by from early morning till early night everyday during the Kingdoms Alliance Court. It had been three days since Yuri went to Chinen residence. He was told that Yuri wanted to stay with his father until he could see Daiki. They had been trying to meet Daiki, but Daiki’s schedule was so tight that even he as the Head of Defense Force could not talk to him. The meeting with the contingents ran day and night. He wanted to tell Daiki about Yuri’s arrival actually, but he thought to wait until Daiki was a bit loose. The meeting was so important after all.

Meanwhile, he recalled his last conversation with Ryosuke before the disappearance.

It was only he, Daiki, and Yuya stayed in the Inner Palace. The day of Ryosuke’s birthday, he and Daiki prepared a small surprise party for Ryosuke who was still confined in a certain chamber, and they dragged Yuya to join them. They brought a bowl of strawberry and a bag of sweets as they used to do since they were children. Ryosuke looked happy that time and he had no premonition at all.

It was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter