In Wonder

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Accompany song: Memories (Hey! Say! JUMP)

 

Chapter 35 In Wonder

 

Ryunosuke dismounted his horse. His minions followed behind him. Throwing his glance around to observe the recent condition of Hakumei’s Royal Palace, he compared it with the last time he was here. He assumed there was a fierce battle even in this Inner Area, the deepest part of the palace, since there was several new building he did not see before. Imagining the battle, he smirked. “Foolish.”

“Welcome, Prince Ryunosuke.”

Ryunosuke sauntered across the throne chamber of Hakumei, the new Hakumei. He saw Shinsaku greeted him with a business smile and he returned it with his own fake smile.

“Seems like everything going well?”

“As we plan,” Shinsaku answered.

“Ah, are you sure?” He taunted. “I heard you lose the biggest prize for me.”

He saw the smile on Shinsaku face faltered a bit, “Don’t worry, we will find him soon.”

He gave Shinsaku an indifferent stare, “I won’t have it the other way.”

After a time of talking, Shinsaku invited him to rest. As he was about to leave, he emphasized another demand, “Oh, and don’t forget, I want him alive, Your Majesty.”

He saw the resentment in Shinsaku’s eyes but he fended it off.

Exiting the chamber, he saw a man walked from the opposite direction. As they got closer, he recognized the man. He was Shinsaku’s son.

“Greeting Prince Ryunosuke,” Kota bowed just enough for reverence.

“Ah, Kota. Returning from trip?”

“Yes,” Kota answered shortly. “I assume you have just arrived, so please take a rest. I’ll excuse myself.” Kota bowed before leaving without waiting his dismissal.

Beckoning his right hand man over, he said, “Keep an eye on him.”

“Okamoto Kota, Your Highness?”

“Yes,” he resumed his walk and muttered, “I sense more danger in him than Shinsaku.”

**********

“General Nakajima, King Advisor Arioka Eichi, and my father are imprisoned.” Ryutaro explained. “In my way here, I have secured alliance with the local officers, but still could not evade friction in several areas which governed by Okamoto and Nishiuchi. I lost about a hundred of my men.”

He paused to take a breath, “Morimoto’s soldiers won’t make it here. I’m not sure whether they are united under my uncles or spread around to avoid being caught, but I assure you, when you’re attacking, they will be behind your back.”

Ryosuke nodded, approving his explanation. “Did you catch a word about Keito?”

“Not different from what he told you,” he referred to Yuma who sat across him.

Ryosuke went silent for awhile before instructing, “Fine. Then, explain our current strength, Yuma.”

Yuma nodded, “In the castle we have about one thousand and four hundred soldiers and there are Nakajima’s and Shida’s, about five hundred, still on the way. In aggregate we have about less than two thousand trained soldiers. We still have Matsudera’s civilians, that’s about three hundred men.”

“I don’t wish to involve the civilians.”

“Yes, my prince, I understand. But Matsudera’s people have been raised as loyalist to royal family Yamada. They will serve your every bid if you ask. And we would need additional people to win the battle.”

Ryosuke mulled over it, “Fine, only the grownup men. Spare the woman, children and elders. Send them to the safer place.”

“I’ll prepare them as you wish.”

Ryosuke shifted to Yuto, “Have you heard from General Shida?”

Yuto was appointed as General Shida’s replacement during the general’s absence.

“Yes,” Yuto answered. “General Shida told me that Chinen’s and Arioka’s troop would be deployed at nearby province since they would not make it here before the road freezes. Governor Nakayama has traveled down to organize them. So, now in the castle there are only us to organize the strength.”

Ryosuke nodded and then flipped a page on his book. “Listen,” he instructed, “I’ll have the work divided in three main goals. First, for scouting purpose, this including searching for Keito and the rest of my retainers. I have the list of the spies from General Shida, but I need more people, so Yuma,” Ryosuke got Yuma’s attention. “Bring me names from your clan. I expect it tonight most.”

“I’ll report it soon.” Yuma replied.

“Yuto-kun,” Ryosuke continued, “I want you to take care of the second goal. Prepare our war force, including the logistic we need. I believe you have known what to do. Yuma will work with you.”

“Consider it’s done.” Yuto answered.

“And Ryutaro,” he heard his name called, “Since you’re expert in provoking people, the third goal is yours. Bring me support from the idle forces. Ask Yuma everything you need.”

“Need to go out from Hakumei, too?”

Ryosuke looked at his book, “No, unless we’re cornered. I don’t want to bring other kingdoms in our trouble. Just work on the remaining noble clans that haven’t allied with Okamoto or Nishiuchi. And…” Ryosuke paused.

“And?”

Ryosuke gave him a challenging stare, “If you think you can, bring me the rebel.”

He frowned, “The Takaki retainers? Are you sure?”

“Just if you think you can.”

He knew Ryosuke taunted him, “What will you offer them?”

“A peace and restoration.”

“I’ll think what I can,” he finally said.

“I expect the best from you,” Ryosuke said before turned to Yuma, “Yuma, how much time we have until the roads freeze?”

“Judging from the weather, I think the snow will fall in less than a week.”

“So, we have less than a week to prepare. Then, give me your plan tomorrow. It’s enough for today.”

The council dispersed after the dismissal, but he and Yuto remained.

“Ryosuke,” Yuto said, “Who will take my place to guard Mirai?”

“No one.”

“Why don’t you assign Yuri?” he found himself suggested.

“No need. I have other task for him, besides it is quite safe here.” Ryosuke stood up and started to walk, “And she has her own guardian.”

Following Ryosuke, they stepped at both his side, “Guardian?”

“Yes, her maid, Takano Miru,” Ryosuke answered.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter