Savoring a Day

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 68 Savoring a Day

 

 

It had been a couple hours since Ryosuke arrived at the house. Now, he comfortably sat on the couch in the living room while cradling the sleeping form of his son in his arms. His son. He could not help but smile whenever he used the phrase. It still felt like a dream. He caressed Ainosuke’s cheek with the back of his hand, brushing off the streak of tears gently. The boy must be tired after crying for almost an hour. He smiled again as he remembered the moment he carried him to sit on the couch. Ainosuke did not want to let go of his hug, putting his tiny arms around his neck tightly.

“I don’t want to sleep, Father.”

He chuckled inwardly as he remembered Ainosuke’s face when battling his sleepiness while saying that, and despite Ainosuke’s resolution, the kid eventually fell asleep just a few minutes after that. He brought Ainosuke closer to him, embracing him more tightly yet tenderly in order to not wake him up.

Ainosuke… My son…

He smiled while he put a hand on the back of Ainosuke’s head, supporting Ainosuke’s body to lean on him more.

“Somehow, I’m jealous,” a soft voice had him turned his head.

Sitting beside him was Mirai. She looked at him with understanding gaze and presented him a loving smile. The bubble in his heart grew bigger. How much he had missed her. She had grown became more beautiful because of the wise vibe she radiated through her gentle expression. She had matured. She had changed… but she still had that glint he used to see in her eyes when she saw him… the glint that told him how much she loved him.

“You’ll make me blush if you continue staring at me like that, Ryosuke,” her voice grew smaller when she said that. She was embarrassed for real. It amused him and made him happier.

He indeed could see a pink shade appeared on her cheeks, and he just thought he wanted her to know that he was really happy. He gave her his heartwarming smile before placing his right arm around her shoulder to pull her closer, making her rested her head on his right chest. She put her hand on his torso to support herself so that she would not crash on Ainosuke who lied on his lap and nestled in his left arm.

“I miss you,” he muttered before kissing the top of her head.

“I miss you more,” she replied.

As they stayed in silence after that, he threw glances around the room. Yuri and Umika had excused themselves to left the house an hour ago, so it was only the three of them in the house. The room was plain, with only a flowerbed painting hanging on one of the crème wall. The furniture was only a set of couch, a big vas on one corner and a glass aquarium with several small gold fishes.

“Aren’t you tired?”Mirai’s voice pulled his attention back to her.

“Hm?”

“Let’s just tuck Ainosuke to bed, and then you can rest,” she looked up, asking for agreement.

He smiled, “Alright.”

With that, Mirai pulled herself away and he rose to his feet, carrying Ainosuke. She led him to a chamber and opened the door for him. He saw a bed on the farthest side of the room and a vanity on the other side. He assumed it was Mirai’s bedroom and she kept Ainosuke to sleep with her.

He laid Ainosuke down the bed and pried the arms hugging his neck open carefully. After pulling the blanket over Ainosuke’s form, he turned and found Mirai looked at him, standing a distance away before the door. Realizing his questioning stare, she started walking towards the bed.

“What is it?” He asked as he sensed her hesitation.

She shook her head slightly while continued walking, but he still could see the hesitation. Thus he stood up and approached her. They met halfway between the door and the bed. She had a disbelieving look when she looked up to him.

“What is it?” he said while tenderly moving a few strands of her tresses behind her ears. He just realized that her hair was shorter than the last time he saw her… more than five years ago.

She held his hand with both of hers, then muttered softly, “I… I just feel… it’s still like a dream…”

He took a step closer and brought her to his embrace, resting his chin on her shoulder, “I am real, Mirai.”

She put her hands on his back, burying her face on his chest. “You will stay with us?”

“If you wish.”

“What about… Hakumei?”

He drew a breath subtly before answering, “It’s a long story. It can wait. For now, it’s time for you to sleep.” He pulled away after that. “You sleep with Ainosuke, right?”

“Yes, where will you sleep? If you want to be with Ainosuke, I can sleep with Umika.”

“No, it’s alright. I can sleep anywhere. The couch will do. C’mon,” he took her hand and led her to the bed, keeping his smile intact.

“You’re different, Ryosuke,” came a remark he had expected.

He made her sat on the bed then squatted down before her, holding her hands, “Five years is long enough for someone to change, Mirai. I maybe not Ryosuke you used to know, but one thing will never change,” he paused and held her gaze.

“What?” She looked down straightly to his eyes.

“My feeling for you,” he answered, smiling gently, and then stood up, releasing her hands. “Nah, it’s been late. You should really sleep. You have work in the morning, right?”

She sent him a questioning look.

“Chii told me that you work in a clinic. Now, just sleep,” he said while urging her to lie down, but she resisted that he asked, “Why?”

“Please, just sleep with us,” her eyes seriously pleaded, fear glinted behind them. It seemed she was still afraid he would leave when she was asleep.

“I’m not going anywhere, Mirai.” He said, but her expression did not change, so he added, “The bed is not enough for the three of us, you know.”

“Just say yes, and it’ll be solved.”

He raised a brow at that, but eventually answered, “Yes.”

It was priceless to see how her face brightened just by hearing that. She smiled in excitement and literally leapt to her feet then pushed him down to sit on the bed.

“Wait a moment here,” she said before dashing to the door and left the room.

He smiled and sighed at the same time, reminiscing about Mirai’s antics. Shrugging while waiting for her to return, he turned to look at Ainosuke. He wondered how his son would look like when he grew up. Ainosuke might be the split image of him in the future. He Ainosuke’s head affectionately, praying for his son to have a much better life than him. Leaning down, he gave a gentle peck on Ainosuke’s head, the first peck he gave his son. As he looked at the serene little one, he thought that from now on there would be many first for him and Ainosuke.

**********

It was an hour before the dawn when Yuri and Umika decided to return home. The light of the house had been off except the dim light on the terrace. They did not see anyone in the living room, so they assumed the family had gone to sleep.

“Think we can take a peek?” Umika whispered.

“No,” he said. “Ryosuke is a very light sleeper. We will wake him up if we do that.” He remembered the way Ryosuke slept in the ship during their journey from Hakumei. Ryosuke’s alertness had improved significantly to a new level that could match even his now that Ryosuke could detect his presence. Ryosuke said it was needed to protect himself as the danger around him leveled up, too, during his reign.

“Just a peek,” Umika insisted, and it was too late to stop her as she had already opened the door slightly.

No sound. Silence.

“He doesn’t wake up,” Umika whispered and he peeked over her shoulder.

True. In the dim light of the room, he could see Ryosuke did not even stir. He assumed that Ryosuke might just be tired or…

“I’m relief that you’re here now because I can rest easy. It’s not necessary for me to put my guard up whenever you’re around, Chii. That’s how I trust you.” Ryosuke said one night during their trip from the harbor of Ryuusei to the capital.

… Ryosuke did feel safe around them.

“What a lovely sight,” he heard Umika whispered and he could not agree more.

Looking into the room, he could not help but smile, feeling happy and relieved. They saw on the floor of Mirai’s chamber, a floor mattress lied open. Three figures were sleeping soundly on it. Ryosuke and Mirai slept facing each other while Ainosuke was in between them, a blanket covering their forms. They had peaceful expressions, and he noticed a small smile plastered on both Ryosuke and Mirai’s face.

Please, let the happiness last for the rest of their lives.

He prayed while being ushered by Umika to leave the chamber and returned to their respective chambers.

**********

Mirai woke up early morning, hoping to see Ryosuke on the other side of the mattress next to Ainosuke. Yet, as she looked at the direction, she widened her eyes as she found it vacant. Her heart started to pick up. He did not leave her, did he?

She carefully got up and strode away to exit her chamber. Where was Ryosuke? She started getting panic. She did not find him in the house. She opened Umika’s door, and saw Umika was still asleep, but woke up abruptly by the sound of the slammed door.

“What’s it, Mi-chan?” Umika called her from the door.

She turned around, “Where is Ryosuke?”

“I heard his voice with Yuri earlier,” Umika answered sleepily, not noticing the frantic on her face.

That was when she heard Yuri’s laughter from their backyard. She immediately dashed through the back door and saw Yuri laughing and Ryosuke stood with his back against her. She was overwhelmed with relief, and her eyes got teary in an instant. Yuri and Ryosuke noticed her presence right away, and Ryosuke turned to face her.

“Mirai?” his voice soothed her anxiety, but she could not help to run and tackle him in a tight hug.

Staggering a step backward, Ryosuke put his hands on her back, asking with a soft tone, “Hey… what’s wrong?”

She had to draw a breath to hold her tears and muster an answer, “I… I thought you disappeared again…”

“Didn’t you read the note I left on the bed?”

She pulled away just enough to look up, eyes widened, “You left a note?”

Ryosuke let out a subtle sigh and a small amused smile, stating, “You didn’t read it.”

She nodded in embarrassment, not able to meet his eyes. “Sorry… I was in a panic.”

He patted her head, just like he used to do back then, and smiled, “Don’t be.”

She wanted to respond, but Umika beat her from speaking. “Aww! You two are so lovey dovey in the early morning. You make me envious, you know.”

At this she just realized that Yuri and Umika had witnessed all had happened. She blushed in embarrassment as Yuri added with chuckle, saying, “You two are just like a newlywed.”

She pulled away completely, speaking in rush, “I’ll prepare for work.” Without waiting Ryosuke’s response, she strode back towards the house. Umika smiled teasingly when she brushed past her. She caught Ryosuke and Yuri’s voice behind her but could not make out the words.

Arriving at her chamber, she saw Ainosuke was still asleep. She heaved a sigh. She was embarrassed for panicking just now, but she could not help it. Composing herself, she stepped across the room to wake Ainosuke up. As she kneeled on the mattress, she saw a piece of paper on the bed then took it.

Mirai, sorry for not waiting until you wake up. I will be in the backyard to help Chii.

As she read this, so many questions swirled in her mind. How Ryosuke come to Ryuusei? What happened in Hakumei? How Yuri and Ryosuke could be together? But then, she remembered her short talk with Ryosuke last night.

It was after they laid the mattress open on the floor and made it comfortable to be slept on by setting the sheet and pillow. Ryosuke moved Ainosuke from the bed to the center of the mattress carefully.

“Should I tuck you in, too?” Ryosuke smiled while muttering lowly, holding the blanket and gesturing her to lie down beside Ainosuke.

She had been standing when Ryosuke moved Ainosuke, but then kneeled down, facing Ryosuke after being told that. “Ryosuke…”

There were so many things she wanted to say and so many questions she wanted to ask, but she could not form a sentence. It seemed he understood her that he smiled and said, “There are many things we need to talk, but for the time being let’s just savor this moment with our family. We’ll talk later.”

She nodded and eventually sank under the blanket. Ryosuke did the same then pull the blanket over them. She could not take her eyes off Ryosuke when he propped up on his elbow to adjust Ainosuke’s head on the pillow to be more comfortable. He noticed her stare and smiled. This time she blushed slightly because the smile was followed by him leaning down and gave her a peck on her forehead.

“Sleep well, Mirai,” he said before eventually lying down on his side, facing her.

She hesitantly lifted her arm over Ainosuke and rested it on Ryosuke’s waist. Still smiling, Ryosuke pull her arm to him, making her shifted even closer, and she carefully complied as to not squeeze Ainosuke who was sleeping soundly between them.

“Sleep well, Ryosuke,” she eventually muttered.

Ryosuke smiled and shifted his head closer to Ainosuke’s, and she mimicked him. She could see his smile intact even though he had closed his eyes. She could not help but smile and closed her eyes, letting sleep come.

She realized that Ryosuke smiled a lot now. He seemed a lot happier. So, she assumed whatever had happened in Hakumei, it should be something good that made Ryosuke so happy.

“…Mother…”

She was a bit caught off guard hearing Ainosuke’s hoarse voice. She looked down and found her son blinked away his sleepiness and tried to get up. It was still three hours before he should go to school, but he was always an early riser. Usually Ainosuke would wake up by the delicious smell of Umika’s cake, but now as Umika did not bake, she wondered whether it had become his habit to rise early.

Ainosuke looked around, “Father…?” He sent a questioning stare to her.

She smiled and helped him to stand up, “Father is helping Uncle to chop wood in the backyard.”

Ainosuke’s eyes brightened and enthusiastically declared, “I want to help, too, Mother.”

She chuckled shortly, “Go on.”

“Yay! Father!” Ainosuke exclaimed while dashing to exit the chamber and she let him be.

She folded the blanket and the sheet then rolled up the mattress, tidying the chamber. After the chamber was finished, she headed to the kitchen to take the broom. Cleaning the house had always been her morning routine. In the kitchen, Umika had started preparing their breakfast. She could also hear faint sound of Ryosuke, Yuri, and Ainosuke from the backyard.

As she finished sweeping the entire floor of the house, the back door burst open and Ainosuke dashed in.

“Mother, towel! Towel!” Ainosuke spoke in a hurry while bouncing on his feet.

“Eh?” She had not comprehended what Ainosuke asked when Ryosuke stepped in.

Ainosuke looked back to his father then once again turned to her and asked, “Mother, towel for bath.”

Finally she caught the meaning and headed to their bedroom and took Ainosuke’s towel. When she exited the room, Ryosuke had started helping Ainosuke to take off his sleeping shirt.

curved up, amused, and that was when Ryosuke looked up. He told her, “I’m going to give Ainosuke a bath.”

She nodded and handed the towel to him while Ainosuke literally ran into the bathroom, still in his sleeping pants. “Father, quick!”

She chuckled when Ryosuke raised a brow at her and asked, “Is he always thi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter