Slowly

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 38 Slowly

 

Mirai tossed on her bed. She could not sleep. She did not want to sleep. She was too happy. What happened just a moment ago felt like too good to be true, but it was real. It was not a dream, because she was fully awake. Her heart beat faster and her blush returned every time she recalled those moments.

After the unbelievable confession from Ryosuke—could she call it that?—he let her cried in his arms for a moment before he spoke.

“It’s cold, let’s head back.” If she did not know him well, she would say his tone was indifferent. But she could feel the tenderness behind his words.

She pulled away and just realized she had drenched his shirt; and the weight of his coat on her shoulders reminded her that he was not wearing one. She felt a bit guilty.

“Your coat…?” she wanted to return it to him.

“Wear it.”

“But you…?”

“If you’re worrying about me not wearing a coat, then let’s head back soon.”

“…alright.”

She walked a step behind him in silence, enveloped by the oversize coat. She could smell his scent from the coat and blushed. Only when she noticed that they headed to the main building, not the mansion, she asked.

“Why we return here?”

He did not look back nor slowed his steps, “The dinner should not be wasted.”

The prospect of having dinner with him, moreover on their wedding anniversary deepened the blush on her cheeks. Her heart thumped faster.

At the front of the main building she saw Yuto waited.

“Ah, I just about to go get you,” Yuto said to them.

“What now?” Ryosuke replied. She strode closer and stood beside Ryosuke, pulling the coat tighter.

“Want to apologize for ruining the dinner,” Yuto said and looking at her. Yuto smiled all of a sudden.

“Ah, I guess you still want the dinner? Well, go on, go on. Don’t mind me,” Yuto grinned widely and pushed Ryosuke to enter the building.

She jogged after them and saw Ryosuke halted from Yuto’s push. Yuto pulled his hands away in an instant. “Ups, sorry I should not disturb you. Then, best be off now.” Yuto saluted before walking away from Ryosuke’s side.

When Yuto passed her, he whispered, “Congratulation!” and walked away completely. She smiled hearing that.

“Mirai,” she heard Ryosuke called and she looked up to him. “Let’s go.”

She smiled wider before following Ryosuke closely behind.

The dinner was alright. It meant there were no commotions or disturbing occurrences. They were eating in silence. Ryosuke did not talk much except just a few words. Yet, she blushed remembering the short conversation during the dinner.

Handing Ryosuke the glass of his drink, she could not help but blushed when their hands brushed for a brief moment.

“I’m wondering,” he said and she looked at him while trying to hide her blush.

“About?”

“Why do you blush just by touching my hand yet you did not when you hug me back then?” He said it with a straight face.

Her blush turned to a deep red hearing that.

“Should you ask that?” She pouted to hide her embarrassment.

“Should I not?” He did not take his eyes off from her.

She dared to look back, and saw there was no playfulness on his face, instead he looked startlingly innocent. His eyes only glinted with curiosity.

“Why did you ask that?” She returned the question, her blushed had turned lighter.

Ryosuke went silent for a moment before answering.

“I just want to know, because it’s hard to understand you sometimes.” He replied honestly.

She did not say anything to respond and he did not probe further. The rest of the dinner was spent in complete silence. She wondered how he could be menacingly cold but also innocently cute at the same time. Wait! Did she just say he was cute? She blushed.

She buried her face on her pillow. Why did she blush just by a subtle contact with him now? It was like she fell in love with him all over again. Was that even possible? She giggled in her pillow. If someone saw her right now, they must have thought that she was weird. But who cared?

She flipped around and lied on her back. Hugging another pillow, she started to contemplate. After the dinner, they headed back to the mansion. Before they parted ways to their respected chamber, Ryosuke told her something.

“I still suggest you to lower your expectation of me, Mirai,” he said with serious tone.

When she sent him a questioning look, he added, “I can’t promise you that I won’t hurt you in the future. My path is going to be hard and painful.”

She was a bit surprise by his first sentence, but after thought it over, she understood, “You don’t need to worry. I promise you I will be strong… for both of us.” She smiled to reassure him.

He did not smile, but his eyes softened, “Thank you.”

She did what she had always done, smiling and replied, “You’re welcome.”

“Good night,” he said before turned around and walked away.

“Good night, Ryosuke.”

His path would be hers, too, from now on. She should be stronger to be able to support him till the end. After hearing his words tonight, she believed that Ryosuke actually had a tender heart. He worried that he would hurt her and warned her so she would not be too disappointed if ever it happened. She understood. In a relationship, it was no way there only laughter and smile. There would be tears and pain, too. Though sometimes people hurt their loved ones, intentionally or not, but she was sure that it would hurt them as well. Just like what she experienced with her family long time ago.

Building a life with Ryosuke…

She yawned.

I will have a family with the man I love.

She smiled imagining her future family.

One of my dreams finally comes true.

With a happy heart, she dozed off.

**********

Ryosuke had mulled over his decision about how and whoever would run the task of retrieving Keito. Thus he had summoned his minions to his study chamber in the early morning.

“I have decided,” he told them directly.

“I’ll give the task to Yuma,” he shifted his gaze to the said man.

“I’ll not disappoint you, Your Highness,” Yuma bowed.

He had noticed how polite Yuma to him all this time. Not that he minded it, but it would be nice if he could have slight normalcy when he was among his peer.

“Just Ryosuke,” he said when Yuma raised his head.

Yuma was confused, “Pardon?”

He eyed the rest of them and said, “You, too, Umika. All of you. Just drop the reverence when there are only us.”

Yuto, Yuri, and Umika smiled.

“As you wish, my prince,” Yuma said before correcting himself when he sighed, “I mean… Ryosuke.”

He gave him a small smile before continuing, “Well, because Yuma will be absent from my council, I’ll add new members.”

They all sent him inquiring gazes.

“Chii and Umika. You two are in. I want you to help me prepare for the battle with your spies.”

They nodded in understanding.

“And I will help Yuto to prepare the troop.”

Yuto perked up, “Will it not be too much burden for you? You still have other matters to attend.”

“It’s not a problem. I can manage,” he said to finalize the decision.

When he did not saw any objection, he added, “Then let me know your plan soon, Yuma.”

“I’ll report to you as soon as possible.”

He nodded his approval, “Good. Then is there anything I should know?” He asked to all of them.

Yuto stepped closer and spoke, “A messenger came this morning, from General Shida.”

He waited for Yuto to continue.

“He said that Ryunosuke arrived at Hakumei’s palace some time ago and is with the Okamoto right now,” Yuto explained further

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter