The Only Truth

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Accompanied song: Screw (Hey! Say! BEST) – I only listened to HSJ’s song when writing this fic XD

 

Chapter 29 The Only Truth

 

Ryosuke could not bring himself to sleep. What Yuma and Yuto said this morning was dumbfounded him entirely.  

“The Alliance of six noble clans is your father’s last legacy… only for you.”

He responded in reflex, “What joke is it? It’s not funny.” He knew by this time, his voice should be at the coldest level. The angrier he got, the colder he would be.

Yuto held his gaze and stated firmly, “It is true, Ryosuke. Every word you’ve heard is not a joke.”

“I can’t believe it even though it comes from you, Yuto. It doesn’t make sense. Why should he do that?”

“Maybe because he loved you,” this time Mirai spoke.

He snorted, “Loved me? I would never dream of it.”

“Have you ever wondered why we didn’t attend King Keito’s coronation, Your Highness?” Yuma took the liberty to spark another confusing matter.

“I did, and since you bring it up, I demand your explanation.”

Yuma was about to speak, but Yuto beat him, “It’s not your part, Nakayama-san!” And Yuma retreated in silence.

Yuto then turned to him with the eyes asking for his understanding, “You’ll get the answer once General Shida arrives, Ryosuke. Please be patient for a little longer.”

And that was when the conversation ended in tense silence.

He was more than irritated as he was kept in dark about something that important. Being the leader of the alliance… it was impossible. Not because he was not capable, but it was too good to be true. His father’s last legacy, why was it left for him? Why not Keito? Why should his father form the secret chain? Why should they protect him to that extent? What was it with Yuma’s question, the reason for the Nakayama’s absence on Keito’s coronation?

The questions kept flowing and repeating in his mind, prevented him from getting any sleep. Getting restless, he decided to take a stroll. When he stepped out of the mansion, he saw a familiar figure walked a few distance before him, seemed in deep thinking. He fastened his steps and approached the figure. He had walked behind him for some times, but the figure seemed had not realized his presence. He frowned. It was very unusual, because it was Yuri, and Yuri would never put his guard down like this time.

“Chii,” he called Yuri.

Yuri turned around immediately, looked surprised to see him. “Ryosuke? You surprise me.”

“I have walked behind you for some times.”

“Oh, sorry. I didn’t realize it.”

“It’s so unlike you.” He folded his arms and observed Yuri. “What were you thinking?”

Yuri sighed and turned his steps toward the garden and he followed behind. Reaching a maple tree, Yuri leapt to its higher branch and he did the same to a different branch, right beside Yuri but separated by the trunk. He sat in silence, waiting for Yuri to speak. He was sure there was something troubling Yuri, and listening to Yuri’s problem might be a distraction he needed.

“I’m confused, Ryosuke,” Yuri eventually spoke.

“What about?”

“Your brother’s shadow… Kei.”

“Hm?”

Yuri turned to look at him, “He was the one who ambushed me that night.”

He was surprised and started recalling his memories. He knew what night Yuri meant. When he thought it over, he finally understood. “I see. So, my brother was really working for the king.”

“That’s not the only thing.” Yuri added and he sent him a questioning look.

“Before we escaped the palace,” Yuri continued, “He hugged me and called me otouto.”

This time he did surprise, “I never know you have a brother.”

“Because I don’t have one.”

“How if you actually have one?” He reversed the thinking. “Knowing how complicated the palace life could be, I won’t be surprise if Kei is really your long lost brother.”

“Long lost? Father never mentioned anything about a deceased brother, moreover a long lost one. It’s only me and neesan.”

“Nah, I think you just need to ask General Chinen or Lady Sayaka when we meet them.”

Yuri nodded, “Yeah, you’re right.”

With the topic ended, they fell in silence, absorbing the view of the castle in the night.

“Ryosuke,” Yuri broke the silence.

“What?”

“About this Alliance and secret chain, what will you do?”

He sighed, “I don’t even believe it’s true.”

“How if it is true? Will you lead the troops?”

“My top priority is to find my brother. If it is true, then I’ll just use it to find him. When I find my brother, I will hand it all back to him.”

“How if… we can’t find him?”

Yuri’s question ignited unsettled feeling in him. “We will find him, Chii. I must find him… alive!”

**********

Meanwhile, as she heard from Miru that her father had arrived at the castle, Mirai sprang to see him immediately. She had been worried about her family. She needed to know that they were alright. She saw her father walked toward another building accompanied by some men. When her father saw her, she could not stop herself from running to embrace him. Tears flowed in an instant.

“I’m alright Mirai, don’t cry anymore,” her father soothed her.

She was unable to stop crying even until her father led her to his chamber. She had suppressed her anxiety for days, but seeing her father was alive, the feeling exploded. Her father did the best to soothe her, rubbing his hand on her back and whispering that all was fine, just like when she was a kid.

“How is Mother and Hikaru niichan, Father?” she asked after her tears receded.

“Your mother is fine. She and the other ladies have been secured. Your brother’s escorting them to the hideout with Ami.”

After a time, her father asked, “How is Ryosuke?”

“This morning Nakayama-san told us about the secret chain and the Alliance, and I think Ryosuke didn’t like it.”

Her father heaved a sigh, “That boy can be just as stubborn as his father.”

She blinked in confusion.

“Mirai,” her father held her shoulders firmly. “You always shed tears easily. It’s not really a problem, but from now on, you should pull yourself no matter what ordeals you will encounter ahead. Ryosuke will need a strong support from you.”

“I don’t understand what you mean, Father.”

Looking at her eyes, her father explained, “The things I will tell him tomorrow are… complicated. I’m not sure whether he will be able to brace himself after knowing the truth. That’s why, for the sake of Hakumei, even though I know it may hurt you, I wish you will always support him, be his strength, fulfill Shida Family’s vow.”

“Shida Family’s vow?”

“Yes. Among the Alliance members, Shida, Nakayama, Nakajima, and Chinen have the longest bond with royal family Yamada. Since long time ago, we hold a vow to the royal family. Nakayama is permanently set as the last resort while the others take a turn of roles. Now, for Ryosuke, Chinen has provided a shadow, Nakajima has given him a shield, and us… Shida… is supposed to be the remedy.”

“What is the remedy?”

“It means the one who set things right as they should be. That’s the reason I was chosen as the First Aid.”

“But being the remedy… why it should be me, Father?”

Her father’s eyes softened, “Because to set things right, we need to fix Ryosuke’s broken heart, and in our family, you’re the only one capable of doing that.”

She could only stare at her father, not knowing how she should respond to it.

“King Shohei had told you, right? A part of Ryosuke’s past?”

She gulped in tense, “About he ignored Ryosuke intentionally, yes.”

“Tomorrow, I will tell him about the entire truth behind his father’s acts. If he is able to cope with it, then things will be easy. But if he is unable to accept the truth…,” her father paused, making the tense rose in the air.

“If he can’t cope with it, what will happen?”

“It… the truth will not only destroy Ryosuke…  but also Hakumei.”

She could not stifle her gasp. She pressed a hand to .

“That’s why… we have to make sure he will be able cope with it, by any way.”

“But… Father,” she hesitantly asked, “Why it should be Ryosuke? Why it’s not King Keito?”

Her father only gave her a bitter smile, “You’ll know the answer tomorrow, Mirai.”

**********

As Yuto walking behind Ryosuke and General Shida toward a certain chamber in the morning, his mind reeled off. He was anxious anticipating this day, the moment when all the truth would be revealed. He recalled his conversation with his father about a couple months ago. He remembered how shocked he was that he could not even stand on his feet when his father telling him the truth. Staring at Ryosuke’s back, he prayed for Ryosuke to be able to stay strong despite all the things he would hear later.

Entering the chamber, he saw Mirai, Yuri, and Yuma had been waiting inside. General Shida told them to sit or stand, whichever they prefer, comfortably. Greeting the others, he chose a spot on the wall to lean his back on. Mirai sat on the chair between Yuri and him while Yuma sat a little further on the window chair across them. He truthfully hoped that Ryosuke would prefer to sit, but Ryosuke chose to stand right before the desk where General Shida currently sat.

“I suggest you sit, my prince, because it will take a long time to explain,” General Shida apparently had the same thought as him.

“Just because the long time or th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter