Cul-de-sac

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Accompanied song: I wo Kure (the original Hey! Say! 7)

Chapter 25 Cul-de-sac

 

Suzuka was anticipating her meeting with Yuto. It had been more than two months since the last time they met. Her father had allowed her to go outside. Her brother had informed her that she would not be sent to Seiryoku. She was confused, but she was happy nevertheless.

She carefully walked toward their rendezvous in the evening. Her cloak swayed behind her as she run after she reached a deserted road toward the promised place. Yuto might come only a half hour later as she noticed that she had departed earlier, much to her enthusiasm to meet the man she loved.

To her surprised, when she arrived, Yuto had been there. He stood below a three, leaning on its trunk. Her smile bloomed. She resumed her sprint.

“Yuto-kun!” she called in her run.

Yuto turned at her direction and smiled when he saw her. He straightened his back as she came nearer. And just when they were close enough, she jumped into his arms.

“I miss you. I really miss you,” Suzuka chanted while Yuto caressing her back in circle motion.

“I miss you too, Suzuka.”

After a time, she pulled away. Still with her dazzling eyes, she smiled to say, “You know, I won’t be sent to Seiryoku. I’m free, Yuto-kun.”

Yuto smiled.

“I have heard about it,” he replied.

“I am so happy,” she squealed like a child, but stilled when suddenly Yuto pulled her back into his embrace. He did not say anything afterward.

“What’s wrong, Yuto-kun?”

“Let’s stay like this for awhile.” Yuto whispered before dropping a kiss on her forehead.

She wondered what Yuto was thinking. Giving up, she chose to enjoy the warmth Yuto provided. She always liked his scent. It was like rain in the spring: fresh and comforting. But the most she liked from him was his smile. Wasn’t it the first reason she captivated by him?

In their first meeting near the central market that night of royal festival three years ago; when she wandered alone and bumped into him; and how he gently helped her to stand while offering a sincere smile. Love at the first sight, she never expected she would experience it. Yet, here she was, enveloped in her love’s arms. She smiled happily.

After a time, Yuto pulled away, but she was a bit disappointed because he wore no smile this time. His face was uptight, and suddenly a chill run down along her spine.

“Let’s break up.” He suddenly said.

She froze. Her happiness was just blown away.

“What…are you saying?” She forced an annoyed tone. She must have heard it wrong. No way…

“I can’t be with you, Suzuka.”

Her breath was caught in her lungs. It was difficult even just to find a word. “Why?” Her tears flowed from her eyes, unbidden.

“I just can’t.” He reached out to wipe her tears.

“B-but…you promised…”

Guilt glinted in his eyes, “I’m sorry.”

He took several steps away from her and said, “Good bye, Lady Suzuka.”

He bowed and left her just like that.

It was as though the time stopped. She could not even blink her eyes. Her heart thumped violently. She still could not believe what happened just now.

It’s a lie, right? Yuto-kun won’t dump me like this… Yuto…

And just when Yuto disappeared from her line of sight, the reality began to make sense. Suddenly her knees buckled and she sunk down to the ground, sobbing hard.

A man appeared from a hideout, walking toward her. She did not realize his presence until he crouched down before her and pulled her into his embrace.

“Don’t cry, imouto.” His voice was gentle.

Her need of reassurance outweighed her surprise seeing her brother.

“Oniisan,” she buried her face deeper to Kota’s chest. “It’s hurt… It’s hurt so much.”

Soothing her, he said, “No one can hurt you again after this, Suzuka. No one.”

**********

It took all Yuto’s strength to walk away from Suzuka. Her faint sobbing reached his ears like a thunder, almost shattering his heart at once. It was the most difficult decision he had ever made. He knew it would hurt her deeply, but he had to do that, for it would only hurt both of them more if they prolonged their relationship.

Hardening his heart, Yuto shook all his pain aside. Now, it was not the time to mourn over his love. He had more important task to be carried out.

This morning he was surprised by the unprecedented visit of the law department’s officers. The surprise turned swiftly to be shock as they showed the legal demand of questioning over Ryosuke. Ryosuke had been calm responding to the predicament, but he could saw panic in Mirai’s gestures. Ryosuke had asked him to Mirai to her chamber, not wanting her to witness it.

He was accompanying Ryosuke during the questioning in the living room of Outer Palace.

“Pardon us for interrupting your time, Your Highness, but it is necessary.”

“Just straight to your point,” Ryosuke showed only his indifference.

“We’ve performed an investigation over his late majesty’s death, and found that it was not a natural one. It was a death caused by poison, Your Highness.”

Hearing this, he was taken aback. Ryosuke did not show a significant change in his expression, but by his slightly narrowed eyes, he knew Ryosuke was surprised as well.

“And?” Ryosuke asked.

“We’ve done an initial investigation and narrowed down the suspects list, and…”

“I am one of them, is that what you want to say?” Ryosuke cut him off.

“I’m afraid yes, Your Highness. Thus there are several matters we need to ask.”

“Go on.”

“The first, did Your Highness visit King Shohei before he died?”

“Yes, a day before.”

“Was there any other person in the chamber during your visit?”

“A guard stationed in his chamber.”

“A week before King Shohei’s death, where were Your Highness spent time?”

“Mostly in my office.”

“Was there any other place beside your office?”

“Amanogawa.”

“What did Your Highness do there?”

“Just went for fresh air.”

“How many times you went to Amanogawa?”

“Twice. In the evening of the first and the fifth day of that week.”

“Was there any witness to prove it?”

He knew Yuri must be with Ryosuke, but it could not be revealed.

“No.” Ryosuke answered.

“And,” the officer hesitated a bit, “we heard the relationship between Your Highness and King Shohei was not warm. Was it true?”

“Not warm?” Ryosuke snorted at the phrase. “Just say it was bad.”

“How bad was it, Your Highness?”

“We never visited each other and never talked outside the royal business.”

“Was there any moment when it generated an ill feeling in you, Your Highness?”

Now Ryosuke showed a frown, a sign that he disliked where the question headed to.

“Do you say I have a motive to kill him?” The venom in Ryosuke’s voice was obvious.

“T-that’s just an initial assessment, Your Highness. Pardon us if it displeased you.”

Ryosuke’s face returned to be stoic, “No matter bad it was, no way I would kill him.”

“We shifted to another question then, Your Highness. A month before his majesty’s death, have you ever visited the Inner Area?”

“Yes, the throne chamber for audience, and the Governmental building where my office located.”

“During that time, had you ever met personally with the servants or guards or anyone in Inner Area?”

“No. Should I?”

The officer ignored Ryosuke’s mock. “Thank you, Your Highness. We would analyze your answer and we may need to follow up the questioning soon. So please refrain from going outside the palace.”

They officers bowed and left immediately.

Ryosuke’s frown returned, “Yuto,” he called. “I have bad premonition. Tighten the security.”

“As you wish,” he left to do his task immediately.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter