Twilight Glory (2)

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 82 Twilight Glory (2)

 

 

It was night and the city had started to tone down its businesses, but the Chinen residence was just about to start. There were chuckles and talking voices in the dining room of the said residence. The dining room was built in traditional architecture that the occupants all sat down on the tatami, but instead of using a small table for one person, the huge table was placed in the middle of the room and they were sitting around it.

Yuto was smiling as he watched Ainosuke interacting with Hikaru. Hikaru was telling his nephew about Mirai and her childhood, and Ainosuke always giggled or laughed freely if the story got funny. He took his eyes off the boy and glanced around only to find out that Daiki and Yuri was doing the same thing he did: watching Ainosuke, while the women presented: Lady Sayaka, Lady Akemi, and Chinen Ami, talking among themselves. They were currently waiting for General Chinen, and Umika who was picking up Mirai in her chamber.

“He is like a copy of his father, isn’t he?” Daiki suddenly remarked.

He smiled as he remembered the child Ryosuke. He only met Ryosuke in person when they were ten, and Ainosuke really looked like him at that time: with black hair—though Ryosuke’s haircolor grew lighter until it permanently turned into reddish dark-brown as the inheritance of his mother while Ainosuke’s was pitch black— chubby cheeks, and round face. The difference was the color of his eyes, the fairness level of his skin, and also...

“Yes, but also the reverse of him.” He replied.

Daiki’s mouth a bit curved up, “Yeah, the reverse. Ryosuke was so quiet and never talked unless it was required. He rarely smiled, let alone laughed like that. That trait Ainosuke has surely is Mirai’s.”

He agreed with Daiki.

“And I’m relieved that Ainosuke’s cheerful side has finally returned.”

Yuri’s remark had he and Daiki turned their attention to the smallest man among them.

“What do you mean?” He asked, getting his curiosity awaken.

“During our stay in Kyoukai, Ainosuke was really like Ryosuke back then. So quiet and drowned himself among the mountain of books.”

“What’s really happened in Kyoukai, Chii?” Daiki’s turn to speak.

Yuri only gave them smile, “It’s not my right to tell you about it. Just wait a little longer.”

And as though given a cue, the shoji door was slid open. The first one to appear in their line of sights was General Chinen, then Umika, and the last was Mirai. He frowned deeply. There should be one more person, right? His heart started to pick up. Where was Ryosuke? Ryosuke was alive, wasn’t he?

As his fear started manifesting, his mind replayed the old memories from his childhood.

“Listen, Yuto,” his father for the first time talked to him with a serious tone when he was ten years old. “You’ll have a new friend for training.”

“Really?” he was excited. “Who is he, Father?”

“His Highness, Prince Yamada Ryosuke.”

“Eh? The second prince is going to train together with me?”

“Yes, and from now on, it’s also your duty to protect him.”

“I have to protect him? Hasn’t he already have so many guards? And I can’t fight yet, Father, then how can I protect Prince Ryosuke?”

His father squatted down before him, holding both his shoulders. “Protecting not always with strenght, Yuto, but with your loyalty and trust. And those are what His Highness needs most for now. He needs a friend to confide his problems to, a friend to lean on when his burden become too heavy, and a friend to cheer him up when he feels lonely. Can you do that?”

He nodded enthusiasthically, “Yes, Father. I’ll become the best of his friends.”

His father patted his head, “Good. And one more thing I want you to keep in your mind.”

“What is that?”

“Remember that you’re a shield, and Prince Ryosuke is the hope of this kingdom. No matter what happen, he should always be the first priority. Do not ever fail to protect him from any harm. You understand?”

He nodded with determination.

Back then he did not really understand what his father meant, and sadly even he eventually realized it, he could not carry out his duty. He had failed to play his role. He failed to protect Ryosuke. And he wished with all his might for him to have a chance to apologize properly to Ryosuke, but... now...

Is it already too late?

His chest tightened as the possbility of him being late, and not being able to meet his best friend alive clouded his mind. He saw Mirai kneeled down opposite of him, wearing a gorgeous sky-blue dress with her hair simply cascaded down her back.

Her appearance... that is the kind Ryosuke would love to see...

“Suzuka is not coming, Yuto-kun?” she asked, pulling him from the daze.

He regained his focus, answering, “She is really sorry. She is still too weak, and can’t leave our baby. She sent greeting for you all, though.”

“Ah, I haven’t visited,” exclaimed Lady  Sayaka. “I heard it is a boy, right?”

He nodded, smiling politely, “Yes. A healthy baby boy.”

“I’m glad to hear that. What name you give him, Yuto-kun?” Mirai asked more.

“Ryosuke,” it was Daiki who answered.

He was surprised, “You know? I haven’t told anyone.”

Daiki did not look at him, but straight to his front, and he followed where Daiki’s gaze led to.

“I’m sorry to make you all wait,” said the figure who just arrived.

He froze as so many feeling stirred up his emotion.

“Father!” Ainosuke exclaimed happily. “I thought Father wouldn’t join us.”

Ainosuke’s father... it was...

“Ryosuke,” he heard from his side Daiki muttered again while tears had swarming his eyes.

“I wouldn’t pass this moment, son.”

He stared to the father and son before him. Ryosuke patted Ainosuke’s head before eventually sitting down across him, right beside Mirai.

“Long time no see Yuto-kun, Daiki, Hikaru-kun,” Ryosuke smiled. “Also, Ami-san and Mother.”

Silence hanged in the air for everyone could only stare at Ryosuke. He could be careless about the other’s responses, for unexplainable emotion burst inside of him.

He stood up, pulling everyone’s attention. Clenching his fists, he spoke while staring at Ryosuke and Mirai. “This is too much!”

Without further a do he stormed off the room. He did not know why he felt a sudden anger errupted in him. Just when he saw Ryosuke smiled at him, it happened.

How could Ryosuke smile like that when he was worried sick about him? Did Ryosuke know how hurt it was to think that he had lost his best friend? ... to think that he would not see Ryosuke again? And what was with Mirai hid all of these? Wanted to surprise them by leading them to think that the worst had happened to Ryosuke? Did she know he almost got despair just because he started to believe that Ryosuke was no longer alive? How could they...

“Yuto-kun, wait!” a voice called out to him.

He halted in the middle of the yard as he recognized the voice.

“If you think it’s funny, you’re wrong, Ryosuke.” He said without turning his back. “Do you know how scared I was to think that you probably is... dead?” the last word he said with a very low voice.

“You think I plan this to joke on you and the rest?”

He heard Ryosuke replied.

“Then what? Why should Mirai hide the fact that you’re alive? Why she didn’t answer me when I asked her whether you’re alright?”

Tears welled up in his eyes as his emotion got uncontrollable.

“It’s because she didn’t know how to answer it.”

He heard Ryosuke’s voice got closer.

“If there is someone to be blamed, it should be me, not her,” Ryosuke explained. “My condition is too complicated to be explained with one or two words, Yuto-kun.”

At this, he felt Ryosuke’s presence right behind him.

“I asked her to invite you all tonight so I could explain it, and spare her from being hurt.” Ryosuke conitnued. “Your simple questions couldn’t be answered simply by yes or no, and explaining the detail would only sadden her. That’s why the dinner was planned.”

He struggled to tamp down his jumbled feeling when Ryosuke asked, “Could you face me so we can talk properly, Yuto-kun?”

He a bit reluctantly turned around, and his eyes immediately caught the sight of the gently smiling Ryosuke.

“Do you know how much I miss my best friend all this time, Yuto-kun? Thinking how he is doing, whether he is happy after knowing the truth about me... and the first thing I wish to see when I have a chance to return to Hakumei is seeing he smiles at me.”

Hearing Ryosuke’s words had him lurched forward, tackling the shorter man in a tight embrace, tears had streamed down his cheeks.

“You’re the worst, Ryosuke!” He felt Ryosuke returned the hug.

“Am I?”

Tightening his jaw to stiffle down his happy cry, he muttered, “You’d never know how happy and relieved I am to see you alive.”

There was only his sobs heard for a time before Ryosuke spoke.

“And you’d never know how happy I am knowing that you name your son after me.”

At this, he pulled away. “How could you know?”

“You said it just now when Mirai asked you, remember?”

“You don’t mind, do you?”

Ryosuke smiled, taking a step backward, “No, it’s an honor for me.”

He brushed his tears off and mustered a smile, “Thank you.”

“If you’ve been calm, I think we should head back. Everyone must be worried,” Ryosuke suggested.

“You said you will explain to me.”

“Yes, but please wait a little longer. I’ll explain it after the dinner. We haven’t met for a long time. I want to enjoy the moment with all of you first.”

He nodded, “Alright. So, shall we?”

As they reached an undertanding, they returned to the dining room. When they arrived, he could see the relief reflected on everyone’s eyes, and he suddenly felt guilty for acting immature just now.

The dinner was filled with so much happiness as they exchanged stories about their experiences. Most of the time, it was Ainosuke who made them chuckled. The six years-old boy inherited not only Mirai’s cheerful traits, but also the calmness and thoughtful side of Ryosuke’s. As they were eating, he noticed the foods provided for Ryosuke was different from the others.

“Who cook these?” Daiki brought up a topic.

“These are Mirai’s cooking.” Lady Sayaka answered.

Mirai got embarassed, “No, no. Auntie Sayaka also cooked these.”

“Nah, I just helped you, Mirai-chan.” Lady Sayaka denied. “And the cake was Umika’s.”

“Wait!” Hikaru suddenly exclaimed. “You can cook, Mi-chan?”

Mirai frowned, “Don’t underestimate me, Nii-chan. I’ve learned.”

“Woah, that’s a great news!” Hikaru remarked. “I hope we won’t get stomachache after this.”

“Nii-chan! You...!” Mirai and Hikaru’s interaction earned chuckles from them.

“You two would be bad example for Ainosuke,” Lady Akemi pointed her gaze at Mirai and Hikaru.

“No, Grandma,” Ainosuke shook his head. “I know Uncle didn’t mean bad to Mother. Don’t worry.”

“See, Mother, don’t be over worried,” Hikaru supported Ainosuke while Lady Akemi only shook her head witnessing that.

“Ainosuke,” suddenly Ryosuke called out.

“Yes, Father?”

“It’s time for you to study.”

“Alright, Father,” Ainosuke stood up from his seat then came over to Ryosuke and Mirai then gave them hugs. “Good night, Father. Good night, Mother.”

After bidding all of them good night, Ainosuke left the chamber by himself, and he got worried because the house was still too big for a six years-old kid to walk alone.

“Mirai,” Ryosuke muttered the name softly just enough for Mirai to heard it. “It’s better if you accompany him.”

“You won’t forget the time, right?” Mirai asked.

Ryosuke nodded. “Don’t worry.”

He saw reluctance in Mirai’s expressions, but eventually she squeezed Ryosuke’s hand weakly before standing up and excused herself to leave the room.

When Ryosuke refocused his attention to the rest of them, he knew the explanation was coming.

“Before I explain, I want to apologize to you all,” at this, Ryosuke bowed his head to them. “I apologize for all the time I made you worried, and also the problems I left to you.”

“We all have responsibilities about this, Ryosuke, so you don’t need to apologize,” General Chinen replied.

Ryosuke raised his head and straightened his back. “Then, shall I start to explain about my condition?”

“Go ahead,” the oldest man said.

“I believe by this time you all have known about my health problem,” Ryosuke paused to see their response, then continued, “According to the previous prediction, my life should have ended in the start of the spring three months ago, but fate has been really kind to me. I met Domoto Koichi-san in Kyoukai and got treatments. He got me the more advance and stronger medicines to clean the remaining poison left in my body and at the same time regenerate the dying organs to prolong their function’s life.”

All of them were listening attentively.

“Prolong? You mean it cured you?” Daiki asked.

“Unfortunately, no,” Ryosuke’s mouth kept curving up though the phrase he delivered was not a happy one. “The damage I have is incurable. As I said, it only prolongs the lifespan of my organs. But Domoto-san couldn’t estimate how long it would be.”

“Your food,” Hikaru slipped in. “Does it have something to do with your medication?”

It turned out he was not the only one noticing that.

“Yes,” Ryosuke answered. “I have to follow a tight diet on food and drinks.”

“That’s why Mirai learned to cook?” Lady Akemi inquired.

“Yes, she has been trying all her best for me,” Ryosuke had apologetic gaze as he said that. “She has endured all the predicaments during my treatments, not only taking care of me, but also Ainosuke and herself.”

“And what about the time Mirai said to you just now?” it was his turn to ask.

“That’s my sleeping time. I have to lessen the work of my organs by sleeping more in particular times. Simply, I mustn’t stay awake for longer than twelve hours a day or the medication wouldn’t work.”

“For you to return here, what does it mean, Ryosuke?” Ami asked. “Is it temporary or...”

“We’ll stay here for good. After all, I couldn’t deny that I wish to spend the rest of my days in Hakumei, and I want Mirai and Ainosuke to have your supports if the worst happen someday.”

“Ryosuke...,” he could not form a word.

“I do hope you all will take care of them for me. I beg you.”

His tears leaked out once more as Ryosuke bowed deeply at them.

**********

Ryosuke had woken up before the dawn breaking the following day, so had Mirai. They were preparing to visit a place this early morning.

“You really don’t want me to you?” Yuri asked as he was doning his cloak to disguise himself.

“No, Chii. Yuto will pick us up, and we’ll stop by his mansion after that.” He answered. “Just please take care of Ainosuke while I and Mirai go.” He was about to call for Mirai but then halted, “Oh, if you don’t mind, can you bring Ainosuke to Yuto’s house today. We’ll be meeting there.”

“Alright.”

He smiled at Yuri, and after Mirai was ready to leave, they got into the carriage that Yuto brought.

“Thank you again, Yuto-kun,” he said as he sat down before Yuto in the carriage.

“It’s not a big deal. You should thank Daiki instead, because it’s with his permission that we’re allowed to visit that place.”

“Yes, you’re right,”he agreed. “Daiki has been a great leader, hasn’t he?”

Yuto nodded, “You’re not wrong in chosing people.”

He felt Mirai leaned her head on his shoulder, “Are you still sleepy?” He asked, looking down at her.

“Just a bit tired.”

“You can just sleep. We’ll need an hour to reach the place.” Yuto suggested.

Mirai nodded weakly and he pulled her closer so that she could comfortably rest by leaning on him. He noticed that Mirai had been rather pale since a few days ago. It might because she had not used to do a long voyage from Kyoukai to Hakumei.

“I’d never thought to see this scene years ago,” he heard Yuto remarked, a silent chuckle accompanied it.

“Neither did I.” He smiled while gazing lovingly at Mirai’s sleeping face. Gone was his embarrassment of showing his closeness with Mirai to others.

Yuto took a glance at Mirai before starting to speak more. “I have sent message to Ryutaro as you asked.”

The previous night he had asked Yuto privately to send message to Ryutaro to expect his visit in a couple weeks or so.

“Thank you.”

“You really will tell him?”

He looked out through the slightly transparent window curtains as the wind blew. “I want him to hear it directly from me than from the other. And when I still have time to mend our bond that probably will be broken after the truth is revealed.”

Yuto did not say anything, and he believed that his friend was replaying the same conversation they had the night before.

Everyone had left, but Yuto remained. General Chinen led them to his secret chamber, and they told him about the incident of Ryutaro kidnapping one of Yuto’s ex-elite squad members.

“But he has calmed down after we have a deal with Seiryoku,” Yuto reported. “He is focusing himself on his duty as North Province Governor.” He finished his report.

“What would you do, Ryosuke?” General Chinen asked.

“I have been thinking about it for some time. I’m considering to tell him the truth.”

“Will it be alright if he know?” he spoke.

“I’m not really sure how it will affect him, but since the isolation has been lifted and the transition to the new era is settling down, I assume it won’t a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter