Epilogue Part 2

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 86 Epilogue Part 2 Early Moon

 

 

*Spring, year seventeenth of Hakumei*

Hakumei was enjoying the glory of spring when the plants rejuvenated after long slumber in winter. Gentle breeze blew through the land, stirring small waves in the ocean before it danced through canopy of mangrove forest which protecting Ryuusei’s coast. Travelling further into the land of Ryuusei, the breeze got warmer as the sun shines brightly. When eventually it hit the stone hill, the wind dispersed, sending warm air for people to breathe.

A young man halted in the rear of a town, calmly absorbing the blessing of the earth. His mare idly scratched the ground. After having enough enjoying the view, he pulled the rein to resume his journey, galloping toward the town. He saw a lot more travellers than years back when he visited. He stopped once in a while only to ask about the direction toward the only lake in the town.

He found the lake and quite amazed at how the surrounding looked not much different from what he remembered. He spotted a building he thought fit with his purpose of coming to the town: the inn which held so many memories for him. He guided his mare to the destination.

“Welcome to Sora, traveller,” the voice greeted him as his feet step into an inn.

He smiled and asked whether he could rent a cottage.

“You’re so lucky, Sir. A customer cancelled their reservation, so there is one for you. It’s the last cottage available in the town.”

He smiled but did not say anything. He knew. Sora was always crowded in spring. People came to watch the infamous flower festival held once a year.

Once he was in the cottage, he put down his belongings, untied his sword from his waist-tie, and took his traveling coat off. A star pendant was visible dangling down his neck to settle on his chest, when he changed into a clean white shirt after washing up.

Inhaling a relieved breath, he muttered, “I’m going to start the plan, Father, Mother.”

He took the pendant into his palm, closing his eyes and softly praying, “Guide me, please.”

His prayer was carried by the wind, and he turned to the window to look at the darkening sky. Sun was setting, and the first star had appeared. He smiled as the star dimly blinking. When eventually the sun substituted by the moon, and the sky had turned completely dark, his mind had been reminiscing about a distant past of him being in Sora. There were faces of certain persons he wanted to forever carve in his brain, also a place to where he wished to return someday.

The stars continously blinking, as though answering the young man’s wishes.

Faraway, across the sea, his homeland had been bathing with star showers. It was a rare occurence, thus people were excitedly gathered outside their comfortable home to watch the sky’s magical view. Even, the night shift officers in the National Palace of Hakumei could not help but to stand in the balcony in awe.

A figure of a man in his early fourty had been watching the nature gift from behind his window glass of his office in the highest floor of the palace. He noticed his subordinates were doing the same and could only sigh in understanding. It was a nice break for them it seemed.

As the crowd outside and below’s noise crept into his room, he turned back to his working desk. He did not have much time to be wasted. He took out a parchment from inside his drawer and started reading.

Honorable Prime Minister of Hakumei, Morimoto Ryutaro,

Greeting to you from the kingdom of Kyoukai. I, Domoto Koichi, the head of royal medics of Kyoukai and the chairman of Interkingdoms Medical Association, humbly wrote this letter to inform you about an important matter.

As you may have heard from the news spread around recently, I have chosen three of my best students to be my apprentices that will survive and develop my knowledge in medics. One of them, the youngest student ever graduated from my teaching, claimed to be Hakumei’s blood. You may know or hear the name Tanaka Ainosuke. If it is the first time you encounter the name, then please remember it from now on. To be noted, he is the brightest student I ever have in all my life.

For why I tell you about him, is because I concern about the vision he has for your country. He has refused all the offers coming to him though those will provide him with the wealthy living of a noble. As he stated to me numerous times, he dedicates himself for Hakumei, thus he would return once he finished his education. However, being young and independent, he had stubbornly refused to be recommended to you and Hakumei’s government. He wanted to be free and unrestricted walking his own way.

He just reminded me of my younger self, being so idealistic and inexperienced. I believe it will be the better to keep an eye on him. He will be a precious help for Hakumei, but, wherever he is now, he may still have to learn how the world works. If he doesn’t divert from his initial path, then I believe he will come to you, sooner or later.Yet, it is not impossible he may lose on his way, that instead of being a help, he becomes a threat. Ingenuity is always a double-edge blade after all.

Ryutaro rolled up the parchment and put it back into the tube in which the letter was sent in. The letter came about a week ago, and he had commanded his subordinates to look for Ainosuke. He sighed as he just realized that he did not really pay attention about Ainosuke since the boy went away to Kyoukai, pursuing his dream to become the best doctor.

“Boy?” he mused over his own thought then smiled, “He is no longer a boy now. Nineteen isn’t he?”

He recalled how Domoto Koichi mentioned that... he is the brightest student I ever have in all my life.

Memories of his interactions with Ainosuke dangled in his eyes. Back then when he for the first time visited Ryosuke after wandering, he spent a lot of time with the boy. At the beginning he only watched Ainosuke studying in their private library. He then picked a book from the shelve, and soon after that an interesting conversation started.

“Uncle like politics?” suddenly Ainosuke asked, pointing his gaze at the book in his hold.

“Yeah, you can say that.”

“Just like Father and Uncle Keito, then,” Ainosuke said while never stop scribling down notes from the medical book he was reading.

He chuckled briefly, “We are alike after all,” he muttered.

“Are you also wishing Hakumei to be like the theory in that book, Uncle?” another surprising question came. Ainosuke looked at him with serious look, now eyes focusing on him fully.

“Did your father tell you the content of this book?” he asked in pure curiosity.

Ainosuke shook his head, “No. I’ve read it myself. I’ve read all the books in here actually.”

The answer was said as if it was nothing big, but it was more than enough to astonish him. Ainosuke had finished reading all the books in the library which was not less than a hundred titles.

“Father and Uncle often discuss about the books they’ve read, but I couldn’t understand. That’s why I decided to read them, too.”

“And you understand all?”

“If there is something I didn’t understand, I would just ask Father or Uncle, and sometimes Auntie Nami to explain.”

He smiled in amazement, then asked, “Then what do you think about this book?”

“I like the theory. Father said the last king of Hakumei also dreamed about that kind of world, where everyone stands as equal, thus the nobility and the royalty were no longer exist.”

In his wildest imagination, he never dreamed to discuss such heavy topics with a kid who even had not reached nine years old yet. But that time he was facing a reality. As his discussion with Ainosuke stretched to various topics at times, he came to realize that, as Keito often said, Ainosuke was a potential polymath. In his young age, Ainosuke had known a lot about various subjects: politics, social-cultures, arts, military, and—the most Ainosuke interested with—history and medical literacy. Ainosuke was a prodigy for sure.

Ingenuity is always a double-edge blade after all.

Before Mirai’s grave back then he had chanted a wish for Ainosuke to become one of Hakumei’s pillars in the future. However, the words of advice from Domoto Koichi reminded him about his talk with Yuya years ago. Yuya and Daiki, being rational as always, warned him about latent danger possibly coming from Ainosuke when they were informed that the kid had found out about his true identity, that his parents were the last royal family of Hakumei. He did not want to make a prejudice over Ainosuke, but he couldn’t be careless either. He knew there were people out there who still wishing to resurrect the kingdom era, and he would never let them took advantage of Ainosuke to realize their futile idea. Thus he had secretly ordered the intelligence bureau to keep an eye on Ainosuke ever since the boy departed to Kyoukai.

“You don’t need to worry about Ainosuke.”

He remembered Yuri reporting back then.

“I believe in him. He is not one to hold a grudge. And if my judgment is wrong, and he indeed does something that endanger the secret we kept, I’ll be the first to stop him.”

He had been holding onto Yuri’s assurance, and his heart told him that it was the rightest decision. But he needed to hear the latest report about Ainosuke. He would ask Yuri later about his surveilance. For now, he had to focus on the coming bilateral meeting with Seiryoku in about two months away. With that conclusion in mind, he put the letter into his drawer then took out another document to be learned.

Thinking about Hakumei-Seiryoku first official meeting in the last four years was not only in Ryutaro’s head, but also in the mind of the young king of Seiryoku, Kamiki Kyuu. In the grandness of his throne in Seiryoku’s royal palace, he was discussing things with his advisors. It had been almost five years since his coronation, and he had been working hard to follow his path as a king, striving to live up to people’s expectation while preserving his own self.

If not for his parents and his promise to his uncle, he would never think twice to ditch the duty and ran away. If not for his training with Takaki Yuya and Nakajima Yuto back then in Hakumei, he might even never make it to his coronation five years ago. This path was bloody and dirty. The glamourous outfits, the glimmer of gold and diamonds... all of those were nothing but a facade to cover the ugly hearts.

From the dais of the throne, he had been watching the royal council debating over what would be their main priorities to deal with Hakumei. They kept suggesting him anything they thought would give Seiryoku more benefit, but he knew that those many ideas were generated by arrogancy. Yes, his council was arrogant because they were too obsessed with having revenge over what Hakumei did to Seiryoku’s dignity three years ago.

“That’s enough,” his voice was calm, but it echoed around the hall, silencing the noise.

The council members looked at him, subtly showing a frown. He knew they were only portraying a good minion while they actually wanted to be the master. Their submission to him was only because he was still too strong for them to take down.

“What will be your decision, my lord?” the prime minister, the head of the royal council asked.

He glanced around his council members before firmly stated, “I shall remind you, honorable council, that the very first reason we initiated a meeting with Hakumei was because we are lacking of wheat and gold. Our people need those to live. So, put aside the matters unrelated to them.”

“Your Majesty, we do realize the importance of this meeting, but we must not show weakness to them. They had mocked us three years ago, so giving them a little warning is necessary so that they will be aware of what we are capable of doing with our army,” the Military and Defense Minister added. “They were also the cause of your uncle’s death, my king. Shouldn’t you avenge him?”

He sneered, “I‘m sure it was this council that protested against me back then when I decided to give the late king Kamiki Ryunosuke a royal funeral, reasoning that he had disgraced the kingdom. Now you are telling me to avenge him?”

The council was put into silence by that.

“I’m the servant of all Seiryoku’s people,” he gave them a final tone. “So, I act only on their interest. What my people need, that’s what I’ll get for them. Thus, my honorable council, I count on your wisdom. Stop suggesting me to show off our strength to Hakumei.”

He rose from the throne, descending the steps with his guards ready around him, “I shall end our meeting here. I expect you all to prepare the meeting proposal ready for me to review by tomorrow, and I don’t wish to see any idea based on past vengeance. Good day, gentlemen.”

He strode away leaving the throne chamber, his royal cloak flapping briefly behind his back.

He decided to shield himself in his private library. The library was a part of his quarter, connected to his bedroom through an inner passage.

He took a seat behind his working desk. Rolls of parchment lied untouched before him, but he did not in the mood to work on it. He needed to think thoroughly about the coming meeting with Hakumei. He thought he could get some advices from his council, yet turned out they were still the same. Only a few of them did impress him with their dedication for Seiryoku, but most of them only pissed him off with their selfpride.

Seiryoku was the one initiating the meeting with Hakumei, just like in the past. He sighed. Was it a punishment? He wondered. Seiryoku had been arrogant through the past years. But the era had changed. Military power was not everything. Economy power that was the more important, and Hakumei was a growing star in that aspect. Hakumei had many resources which Seiryoku lacked of. He would propose a project with mutual benefit for them.

As he decided at an idea, his gaze caught the sight of a glass display in the corner of the room. The display was made specifically to secure a sword. He walked up the distance and took the sword in his hand. Golden, red, and black were the color of the sword sheath and hilt, also represented the true owner of the weapon.

“Yamada Ryosuke,” he uttered the name to himself.

As he looked at the sword, he recalled his times learning under his predecessor, Kamiki Ryunosuke. He had been believing that there must be so many dirty secrets behind royalty, but learning them from his uncle directly still rendered him wordless. He had heard from his uncle about the shameful conspiracy Seiryoku ever committed.

He heaved a big sigh.

Seiryoku had never been involving themselves in supporting the rebellion of other country. When they decided to make a land as their own, they would march their military to conquer them. Being involved in Okamoto’s plot to overthrow the legitimate reign of Hakumei was the first and fatal mistake his grandfather had ever done—surely the one proposing the idea was his uncle, but the decision maker was his grandfather—and it brought Seiryoku down to its doom.

After his grandfather was murdered by an unknown assassin, Seiryoku was drawn into power struggles between royalty and nobles. People suffered from futile wars and lack of food; death numbers increased; unsatisfied movements shook the government. In that chaos, his uncle suddenly returned and started his reign. No one dared to oppose him for he had Seiryoku’s people behind him. His uncle was seen as a hope of a better life, and he lived up to their expectation.

That was the reason why there was a huge chaos when his uncle suddenly announced to step down and gave the throne to him. He had only been two years returning to Seiryoku when he was crowned as the new king of the kingdom. There were many people opposed him at the beginning, but the scenario his uncle had arranged and which he followed reluctantly had the opposition died down. The subsequent issues after his coronation shocked people without a warning.

His uncle was never married. This was the strongest legit reason to name him, Kamiki Kyuu, as his successor. But after his uncle stepped down, the issues of his ‘adventures’ with women spread out, revealing that most of ladies from the major houses of Seiryoku had ever got laid with him. His uncle was nortorious as womanizer in his younger age, but after making such impressive achievements during his reign, he thought that it was enough to drown the issue, but human heart could always change in a split of second that it surprised him. Just in a short time, the once great king lost people’s admiration, and become the one they despissed, they loathed. Because of that shame, came the petition from the royal council to demote his uncle, even some were asking to banish him. He acceded to the demand, and took the royal privilege from his uncle. From this point, no one voiced out their disagreement against his reign. People eventually accepted him as their king.

“A selfish king is a disaster for the kingdom,” he repeated one of the lesson he got from his uncle.

As soon as his uncle was demoted, came another shock. Hakumei brought the case of Seiryoku’s involvement in Yamada-Okamoto war to the Higher Court of Kingdoms Alliance, demanding every parties involved got punished for killing their people and getting their hands into domestic problem of Hakumei. Hakumei submitted a list of names to the court, and his uncle’s name was on top of it. He realized that that was the deal his uncle had signed with Hakumei back then, that Hakumei would postpone to submit the case for ten years to allow Seiryoku to recuperate, and in exchange to that, Hakumei would have him as hostage, who at the time was the crown prince, and got the original documents proving Seiryoku’s involvement.

He thought that was not a fair bargain, for Seiryoku would suffered more than Hakumei because of that. However, his uncle told him:

“You should brace the storm before the sun return to shine, Kyu. It will be hard for some times, but in the long term, it will give Seiryoku many advantages. At least, the wound hurting our relationship with Hakumei will be healed, and that will mean a lot to get access to their resources we need in the future. After all, you can gain nothing without pain. You should remember that.”

With solid evidences, and the reluctance of his uncle to defend himself, Hakumei won the court. A year after he was crowned as his uncle’s successor to rule Seiryoku, he had to accept defeat. His uncle had trapped him within his scenario. He wanted to defend his uncle with every way, but the scandal involving his uncle that tainted his uncle’s reputation did not allow him. His decision would be seen as too subjective, and it would cause the growing trust of his people toward him waver. So, when the court reached the verdict and sentenced his uncle to death, he could only mourn him as his nephew, his family.

“This is the answer I was looking for, Kyuu. This is what I learned from Yamada Ryosuke. If my life could atone the suffering our people and Hakumei’s had to endured, then so be it. I’m gladly welcoming my death. It’s alright even when I die not as a royal nor a noble. Don’t let your heart waver, Kyuu. You’re dedicating yourself to Seiryoku, not to your family.”

That was what his uncle said in their last conversation before his execution.

He put the sword onto the display right at the same time the door of the library was knocked. His guard informed that his dinner had been served at his dining table. Despite reluctant to leave the library, he walked back to the other side of his quarter where the dining table had been set.

 “Your Majesty, is there something troubling you?”

Long after he returned to his quarter, after he finished his dinner, the question was asked. He turned to see a woman much older than him, the head maid who served him. He saw her with the younger maids glancing at him fearfully yet curious.

“Some of them are new, aren’t they?” he diverted the topic instead.

She bowed, “Pardon for not informing Your Majesty beforehand. Yes, some of them are new. If it’s not to your liking, we would—“

“No need for reassignment,” he cut her off. He knew what she was about to say. “It’s your duty to choose them for me. Just hand me their profile. I don’t like not knowing about people working for me.”

“Soon as you wish, my lord.”

“Dismiss them for now.”

The younger maids immediately left the room when she signaled them to leave without waiting for the second instruction, but she remained. “Is this one also dismissed, my king?”

He did not say a word, but gestured her to sit. She hesitantly sat down on the chair across him.

“Have you done what I instructed?” He asked.

Understanding shone from her eyes. “Yes, my king.”

“How are they?”

“They are well and healthy, but the mother is going to get married to a widow merchant next month, Majesty.”

He knotted his brows.

“Pardon me if the news is not to your liking, my lord,” she bowed her head.

He shook his head, “No need to apologize. Thank you, Nanami. Continue on with the usual unless I tell you otherwise.”

“As you wish, my king.”

“You may leave,” he dismissed her.

The head maid stood then curtsied before leaving his quarter.

Being alone in the grand chamber, he mulled over some matters. What he just asked to the head maid was a secret no one but him knew. He had asked Nanami to watch over a little family of a farmer far in the rear of Seiryoku, a family which only consisted of a mother and a daughter, without telling her why she should do that. A minion should just follow the instruction without any question nor doubt.

“She is getting married, huh?” he muttered. What would your reaction be, Uncle?

He might have learned all secrets of Seiryoku’s kings from his uncle, but it seemed that his uncle had kept one of his own even from him. It was only after his uncle’s death that he found out the existence of that little family. He had instructed his people to keep an eye on every of his uncle’s trusted minions after the verdict was announced. True to his sense, his uncle’s oldest maid, delivered a letter and an amount of wealth to the little family after the funeral of his uncle. From investigating that finding that he eventually found out, his uncle had a woman outside the palace, and they had a daughter from their relationship.

He was still not sure would having that knowledge be better or worse instead for him. But since his uncle had kept it as secret even from him, he assumed that his uncle did not want his family to be involved in the palace affair. He would respect that as his uncle’s last wish. So, he would just look after them from afar. At least as long as he saw it as the better for them.

He retreated to his bedchamber to take a rest which he needed before he faced the royal council in the morning.

However, as he laid on his bed, another thought resurfaced.

“Tanaka Ainosuke,” he muttered another name.

His suspicion when he saw Yamada Ryosuke’s portrait back then had been rekindled when his minister of health informed him that the great doctor Domoto Koichi of Kyoukai had finally chosen his apprentices: one belonged to Kyoukai, one from Komasu, and last but the best, Tanaka Ainosuke from Hakumei.

“How do you look like now, Ainosuke?” He wondered as the face of the boy he had ever trained with when he was still in Hakumei reappeared in his mind.

His memories of Hakumei flashed one after the other, and he could not help but smile.

At least the wound hurting Hakumei-Seiryoku relationship will be healed.

His uncle’s words echoed as he drifted to sleep. He wished that was exactly what would happen in the near future, for the first official meeting with Hakumei after their relationship strained was a way to mend the broken bond between the two countries.

**********

The air got warmer by days. While Hakumei was preparing their infamous summer festival, an official delegation left for Heiwa to discuss about some matters. The delegation was led by the senior member of parliament, also the previous of Hakumei’s prime minister, Arioka Daiki. They were provided a stay in the building of Hakumei Embassy in the capital. And the first night after they arrived at the constitutional monarch neighbor, he let himself followed the lead of the Great Ambassador for Heiwa, Shida Hikaru.

They were welcomed by a maid, then not long after, Ami came out with a bright smile; along with her a girl with shoulder-length hair stood closely behind, greeting.

“Ara, isn’t this Mirai-chan?” he voiced out his surprise even before Hikaru nor Ami able to start introducing them.

Hikaru chuckled, gesturing the girl to come closer, and she obeyed blooming a beautiful smile. She barely reached Hikaru’s shoulder as she stood, nestling in the crook of Hikaru’s arm. Her face looked round and cutely chubby.

“Mirai-chan, this is Arioka Daiki, a senior parliament member and the advisor of prime minister Morimoto Ryutaro,” Hikaru introduced them. “And Daiki, this is the cutest girl in the world, Mirai-chan.”

He saw Mirai bowed politely and greeted him, apologizing for her father’s overrated remark about her. He responded with a light chuckle.

“Uncle, that means you are close to prime minister, aren’t you?” suddenly the girl asked.

“Yes, but what does it matter, Mirai-chan?”

She looked a bit more excited, “Could you relay a message to him?”

“A message? Whose message?”

“My message, Uncle.”

He arched a brow at Hikaru, but the latter only shrugged. He then smiled to her, and said, “What is it that you want me to tell him about?”

Mirai’s cute face lit up with determination, “Ever since Hakumei entered new era, the government always encouraging people to build a better life without monarchy where everyone would be seen as equal. Please, tell him to keep that spirit in his ruling, not only for himself, but also for the people working with him.”

“What do you mean, Mirai-chan?”

“I’m worried that the egalitarian spirit is fading, Uncle. I experienced it myself. I had been always treated differently because I am the daughter of Hakumei’s ambassador. They always prioritized me, and I think it’s not fair to the others. I would not mind to queau or wait in line, but somehow they always noticed me.”

“Do they still treat you like that, Mirai-chan? I’m sure I’ve warned them not to,” Hikaru inquired.

“No, Father. They have stopped giving special service to me, but it’s not the main problem.”

His brows knotted this time,“Then what’s the main problem?”

“The main problem is that I’m sure it happens not only here, Uncle. It probably happens in other places, too. If this is kept ignored, then it won’t be any difference whether there is royalty or not in Hakumei. People will not be treated equally.”

He laughed eventually. Mirai pouted.

“Uncle, it’s not something funny,” Mirai complained. “If the government choose to disregard this matter, then people may think that the promise of your revolution back then was nothing. It may cause a chaos.”

This time he smiled gently, amused. “I was laughing not because it’s funny, Mirai-chan, nor I underestimated your consideration. I was excited seeing a youngster talked about Hakumei like you did.”

After he was sure Mirai had understood him, he added, with more formality this time. “We’ll certainly pass your message to Prime Minister and look into this matter. Thank you for your concern, Shida Mirai-chan.”

“Thank you so much, Uncle,” she bowed to him.

Mirai immediately returned to her cheerful self. Her smile was shining her entire being. He couldn’t help but think about her real parents as he looked at the girl.

“Alright then, I think it’s enough for now, Mirai-chan,” Ami chose the moment to interrupt. “Help Mother to prepare dinner. Your father and Arioka-san should work on some matters.”

“Yes, Mother,” Mirai complied. “But...”

He saw the hesitation in Mirai’s expression as the girl looked expectantly at Hikaru.

“But Father... will you have time tonight to read for me even just a page?” asked Mirai eventually.

Hikaru gently patted her head, “Sure. I’ll come over before your bed time.”

Mirai nodded enthusiastically, “Thank you, Father.” She gave Hikaru a brief hug before turning to him with a polite bow. She excused herself soon after that, following Ami to the kitchen.

“Bed time?” he couldn’t help but become curious.

“Aa, to keep her in good health, doctor had arranged daily schedule for her, including what time she should go to sleep.”

“She complies to such constraint?”

“Just as you saw, she is perceptive. Though reluctantly, she followed the schedule after we explained the reason.”

He gulped a worry. He knew that Mirai-chan was fragile ever since she was born, but he wished she would grow become a strong woman. As he remembered about the previous conversation with the young girl, he smiled. She had showed him a brave soul. She might not be strong physically, but by the attitude he saw just now, he believed that she would never be less than he expected.

He then followed after Hikaru to the meeting room where a few of Hakumei officers had been waiting. They would listen to Hikaru’s initial assessment for the current political circumstance in Heiwa before their visit to the king and crown prince.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter