A Step Further

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 13 A Step Further

 

“So far there is no movement from the rebel in my territory,” Ryutaro reported to the attending council members. They had started the meeting a couple hours ago.

“Have the precautionary steps been done?” Okamoto Kota spoke.

“Yes, Sir. We have prepared.”

“And what about the prisoners?” the other council member from Takagi Family asked.

“They are under interrogation, Sir. But it seems that they don’t know much as they’re only lower ranks.”

“Could you show us?” Kota asked.

“Sure.”

Ryosuke followed the rest of the groups walking to where the prisoners held. He had been listening to the last report without contributing a word in the conversation. Ryosuke noticed the way Ryutaro’s brows knotted slightly. Ryutaro was hiding something.

**********

I am known as the easily-trusting and friendly. I have been always good in making friends, and I love it. I believe that people couldn’t live alone and trust is a basic to build a relationship. Thus I become the way I am. Never in my life that I ever thought I would dislike someone that much until I met the young head-officer of Kurofune, Morimoto Ryutaro.

Enjoying the view of the mansion’s garden, Mirai wondered how long she had to wait. Ryosuke and the other council members had gone to the governmental building in the morning, leaving her behind with Miru and Yuto. Glancing at her guardian, she considered the lingering question from last night.

“Nakajima-kun,” she called.

Yuto strode closer, “Yes, my lady?”

“Do you know Morimoto-san?”

“Do you mean Morimoto Ryutaro, the head officer here?”

Mirai nodded.

“Yes, my lady. He is the first son of Minister Akagi and he was once training under my father, a year after me.”

“Does it mean that Prince Ryosuke also knew him?”

Yuto’s eyes lit up, “Of course, he knew him very well.”

“Could you tell me about them?”

“Well,” Yuto reminisced. “To make it short, Ryutaro and His Highness is eternal nemesis.”

Mirai frowned, confused.

Yuto noticed it, “They never get along well ever since they met for the first time. But it’s not that bad, my lady. It is more like a childish rivalry.”

“But the way he behaved disrespectfully to Prince Ryosuke is frown upon.”

Yuto chuckled lightly, “Please, don’t take it to your heart, my lady. It is just the way he is. Ryutaro can be clueless sometimes. And the way he behaves, that is just to provoke Prince Ryosuke.”

“Isn’t it so careless of him? Provoke a prince may cost him his life.”

 “He knew Prince Ryosuke would never step that far.”

After a time of thinking Mirai concluded, “Still I don’t like his attitude.”

“You don’t have to, my lady,” Yuto gave her a small smile. “But to be honest, Ryutaro is someone dear to Prince Ryosuke.”

Mirai turned to him, eyes questioning.

“They may not admit it, but they’re just like older and younger brother. And the fact that His Highness never punishes Ryutaro’s behavior told me that he somehow doesn’t mind it.”

Mirai went silent. It was a big revelation for her to absorb.

“Please, don’t let it bother you, my lady. He’ll not be a threat for you.”

Again, Yuto made her confused. The mischievous glint she saw the day before returned in his eyes.

“Prince Ryosuke is normal. So you’re still the only suitor for his heart.”

And a blush made Mirai’s face warmer.

**********

The meeting with Kurofune’s government officers ended right at the lunch time. After eating their lunch, the groups retreated to their respective chamber, preparing to leave. Ryosuke leaned on the wall outside his chamber, waiting for Mirai and Miru finished packing. The conversation he had with Ryutaro before lingered in his mind.

Right after the meeting ended and before the lunch served, Ryosuke did not follow the council members into dining room. He saw Ryutaro stood near the door of a room while his eyes staring at him. Ryosuke took the signal and followed after him entering the room. They walked through a secret door that hidden behind the bookshelves.

Once they were inside, Ryosuke straightly asked, “What are you hiding, Ryutaro?”

Ryutaro turned around and gave him a playful grin. “Maa, maa, aren’t we impatient?”

“No need to dillydally with me.”

Ryutaro stepped closer, “Nah, Ryo-kun, you’re too serious, you know. You would scare my little mouse here.” A guinea-pig came into sight. Ryutaro had always brought it in his -pocket.

“Ryutaro.” His tone lowered, emphasizing his warning.

Ryutaro faked a whine, “Fine. You’re no fun Ryo-kun.”

Ryutaro walked toward Ryosuke until he stood at his side, shoulder brushing. When he spoke, all the playfulness had gone. “A source said that insider involved with the rebel.”

“A hint who they are?”

“None. But I have a feeling they’re close to the throne.”

“The council?”

“Who else? The fall of your father will benefit many of them.”

It explained why Ryutaro hid the news from the other council members.

“My brother has enough power to hold the throne if the king falls.”

Ryutaro sighed, “There comes another rumor.”

“Another?”

“About your marriage and the factions in the council.”

Ryosuke caught Ryutaro’s unspoken answer. The factions in the council, or shortly put as Okamoto versus the three generals, were tense because of his marriage with Mirai. The rumor about the possibility of him back-upped by the three generals would oppose Keito for claiming the throne had been flowed silently like the air, invisible but exist. He had expected that.

“I’m aware of it.”

“We don’t know which faction to blame. So… be careful to not walk into any scheme.”

“Aa.”

“Nah!” Ryutaro suddenly exclaimed and stepped toward the door. “Let’s grab a lunch then.”

Ryosuke followed after. When they had exited the secret chamber, Ryosuke narrowed his eyes because Ryutaro grinned mischievously.

“Ne, Ryo-kun, do you shrink or it is just me that getting taller?” And Ryutaro dashed away laughing before Ryosuke could react.

Remembering the last scene caused the annoyance resurfaced. If only killing was not a crime, he sure would strangle Ryutaro till death.

‘That brat! How could he be the head officer with that attitude?’

Then he realized he had always known the answer. Ryutaro inherited his father’s expertise in administration and he had passed the royal examination with flying color.

He sighed, gaining his composure. He heard steps coming closer and not long after followed by the presence of Mirai and Miru.

“My lord,” she greeted.

Eyeing them, he straightened his back. “Let’s go.”

**********

Mirai walked three steps behind Ryosuke, as an obedient wife should do. She stared at his back while her mind wondering. Ryosuke looked like in deep thinking awhile ago, but his face had returned to be indifferent when she arrived at his side. Did something happen in the meeting?

There was a commotion outside when they arrived at the front yard of Morimoto mansion. Ryosuke strode closer to the crowd. She saw from behind him, that there was a middle age man surrounded by guards. Upon seeing their arrival, people stepped away for Ryosuke to be able to see the man.

Mirai startled when suddenly the man lurched forward and deliberately kneeled down in front of Ryosuke, begging while his hands clutched Ryosuke’s leg tightly. At the same time, the guards rushed to restrain and pull the man away.

“Stop it,” Ryosuke calmly ordered. The guards stood still while the man trembled.

Ryosuke crouched down to observe the man. Mirai was standing a few steps behind him, looking at the two. Mirai noticed the ragged clothes and the bruises on the man’s body. Did he was just beaten by the guards?

“It seems that he stole something from one of the citizen, my prince,” Ryutaro appeared.

Ryosuke stood then turned to his right, where Okamoto Kota was watching the scene.

“Is it alright if I exercise my right of judgment on behalf of King Shohei?” He asked.

Kota thought for awhile, “Yes, you may, my lord.”

Receiving approval from his mentor, Ryosuke bellowed order to the guards, “Bring him and everyone involved to the court.”

The man trembled harder, “My lord, please, I beg your pardon.”

Ryosuke looked at him for awhile then returned his gaze to the guards. “And I forbid any violence,” he added.

After the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter