Growing More

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 78 Growing More

 

 

Ryosuke blinked away his sleepiness. His head was heavy and as he tried to get up, dizziness returned. He was disoriented for a moment before eventually he regained his senses. He remembered he got another attack last night. Leaning his back on the headboard, he recalled more of the occurence. His heart clenched as he remembered that Mirai was with him when the contraction attacked. He must have made her worried.

As he remembered about her, he threw glances around the chamber, wanting to find her, yet turned out he was alone. He assessed his surroundings and just realized that his shirt was off, leaving his upper body bare covered by a blanket. He saw a tray containing a small basin, a roll of towel, and a glass of water on the bedside table. He touched his forehead and felt it warm. Did he also get a fever last night?

He groaned in displeasure.

It was not good. In the last half year the contractions were never followed by fever anymore. Why should it happen again? He thought he had taken enough rest and consumed his medication properly. So, why?

He perked up as he realized another possibility. It might not the activities he did that was the problem. His body might started demanding more time to recover after the contraction. He confirmed it as he still felt so weak and the fever had not gone entirely after a full night rest. And it might also because he had been tiring himself mentally as his mind often wandered back to his duties that had been taken over by Yuya.

He shook his head to get rid of the last thought. He had to forget about his duties when he was with Mirai and Ainosuke. However, shaking his head also triggered a throbbing pain in his head.

“Ryosuke?”

His jaw tightened as he heard the voice of Mirai. Of all time why should she appear when he was in this condition, he complained inwardly. He never wished to make her more worried about him.

In a flash, Mirai had been by his side, asking, “Is your head hurt?”

He looked up with a small reassuring smile, “Just a bit dizzy. Maybe it’s because I’m hungry.”

Her small chuckle was worth the effort he made to hold in his pain from being showed in his expression.

“I have ordered a porridge for you. It’ll be ready in a moment,” she said.

He noticed her slight disappointment as she could not prepare the food by herself. She had not been confidence with her cooking skill till now though he could honestly say that it had been passable.

“Can you get me a shirt?” he asked, diverting her thought. “It’s rather cold.”

She immediately climbed down the bed and rummaged into his bag to retrieve a clean shirt for him. As he buttoned up his shirt, she touched the side of his neck.

“You’re still warm. It’s better if you stay in bed for today,” she suggested. “I have had Ainosuke trained under Takeshi-san’s monitoring, so you can just take a rest.”

He wanted to reject the idea, but he knew she was right. So he gave her a nod.

“I also have asked Ainosuke not to disturb you for today because you’re tired,” she spoke more as though answering his unspoken worry. “I said that a strong warrior needs rest, too.”

He smiled in gratefulness, “Thank you.”

She returned his gestures then handed out the water to him. He took some gulps to ease his dry throat before giving the glass back to her.

“I’ll check if the food is ready. Do you want to take a bath now?”

“Yeah, I think.”

“I’ll ask the inn-keeper to prepare a warm bath for you.”

He just realized she had not touched the topic about his contraction at all. She seemed avoiding it. As she was about to climb down the bed, he grabbed her right arm, but got worried suddenly when she let out a gasp.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, releasing her arm.

She shook her head, subtly rubbing her arm, “Nothing, just surprised. Do you need anything else?”

He wasn’t convinced because he was sure he saw her flinched when he was about to retake her hand. He held her arm nonetheless, but a lot more gently. Rolling up her sleeve till her elbow despite her reluctance, he saw a bruise on her lower arm.

“It’s not nothing,” he gave her a firm gaze and she looked at him apologetically.

“It’s alright. It’ll be gone soon.”

He observed her bruise as he tried remembering what had happened to her. He was afraid that his hazy memory of him hurting her was true.

“Was it me?” He looked up, and when he saw she hesitated, he knew the answer. “I’ve hurt you.”

“It’s not your fault,” she immeditely reassured him.

“Have you applied the medical salve on it?” He asked, ignoring her reassurance.

She nodded, “That’s why you don’t need to worry. It’s healing.”

Rubbing the bruise extra tenderly, he muttered, “I’ve hurt you physically now.” Looking up, he said more, “I’m really sorry.”

She smiled before bending down and kissed his cheek, “Apology accepted.”

Still holding her hand, he asked more, “Did I scare you last night?”

Her tender smile soothed him before she answered, “I wasn’t scared. I have used to see worse when working with doctor Hayato. But, is it always that painful?”

“No,” it was only half-truth he said, because in his first months, the attacks were way more painful and his doctor said it would be more painful the nearer he was to his time.

“If it happens again in the future, please don’t get near me, Mirai. I may unconsciously hurt you more than last night.”

She shook her head firmly, refusing to comply, “I’ll always be by your side no matter what. You don’t need to worry about me. I know what I have to do.”

“I can’t change your mind, can I?” He retorted which only earned a squeeze on his hand.

“We promised to go through thins and thicks together, and that’s what I’m doing,” she said, giving another squeeze to his hand. “Now, don’t worry about anything. Just rest, alright?”

He inhaled and looked up with grateful smile, “As you wish, little wife.”

She left him to himself soon after that, bringing the tray with her.

He reached into his pocket, looking for his note, but realized that it was in the shirt he wore yesterday. He looked around and found the thing on the bedside table. Stretching his arm still caused him a little pain, yet he brushed it off. He opened his schedule and his eyes lingered on the tasks he had abandoned for the sake of his family.

“I’m really sorry to put all the burden on you, Yuya,” he muttered to no one, forcefully pushing his guilt away while writing down the date he got the contraction yesterday. His jaw tightened as he realized the interval of the contractions had shortened, from one month to be two weeks.

He shut his eyes, recollecting his courage.

He had deliberately decided to go on this trip because he was worried that if the inspection was done as the initial schedule, he would no longer have time for his family for he wasn’t sure he would still alive until the mission was finished. Sure, the doctor estimated he would live until spring, but anything could go wrong. Fate had been giving him so much lucks before, and he never knew when it would end.

He hardened his will to stay with his family. However, his resolution would be challenged when the news from Yuya arrived three days later.

**********

Yuto was conducting the last minutes inspection in the rear of South Province. Daiki and Ryutaro’s caravan had arrived yesterday, and the meeting with Seiryoku would be held tomorrow evening. He had observed Seiryoku’s camps from a far and caught a glimpse of Ryunosuke and his royal guards when he discussed some matters about the meeting preparation with General Kazama of Seiryoku in their borders. His spies had reported about the possibility of Seiryoku summoning a back-up batallion, but it was not beyond his prediction. He also had summoned the soldiers from South and South-East Province for back-up. They were not intending to break a war, but a second plan was always a necessity.

Somehow, his heart was pounding with unexplainable excitements generated by everything happened for the last days. He had met and talked with Hikaru in Keito’s residence a week ago. Breaking the news about Ryosuke’s illness not only broke Keito and Hikaru’s heart, but also his for the second time. Other than that, he had heard from Hikaru about the current situation in Heiwa and how the refugees were doing. Heiwa was always the first kingdom which responded to Hakumei’s condition since they were the closest, and by what Hikaru explained, it seemed Heiwa would be their chance to open the isolation. Before departing to Heiwa, Hikaru had promised to persuade King Youji of Heiwa to initiate a court in the Kingdom Alliance to end the isolation they put on Hakumei. And, if the meeting with Seiryoku resulted in positive deals, it could ease their path significantly.

He wished the isolation would end as soon as possible, not only because he wanted Hakumei’s people to have their normal lives, but also because he wanted Ryosuke to be able to breathe and rest, and eventually had time to think about his own happiness. He still remembered clearly how Ryosuke devoted all he had to ensure the new era of Hakumei. Even, Daiki said, Ryosuke had deliberately ignored the possibility of finding Mirai when Ryosuke for the first time proposed to be involved in the contingent to Ryuusei. The reason Ryosuke wanted to go to Ryuusei was mainly because he knew the kingdom the most. However, he believed that deep down in Ryosuke’s heart, moreover after he met Yuri, the yearn for his family would never fade. But, as long as Hakumei was still isolated, Ryosuke would never be able to rest even in his time together with his family. It would hurt Mirai and Ainosuke if Ryosuke kept prioritizing his duty over his family. At least, he knew Ryosuke that far.

After praying for Ryosuke, he refocused his brain to his duty.

He was currently riding through the road of a small village, the closest one to the border with Seiryoku. He saw that his soldiers had stationed on their respective posts. He dismounted his stallion as he reached the small and only market in the village. Holding the rein, he walked through the crowd, some soldiers followed behind. The villagers were doing their activities casually though he sensed wary in the air.

He had to lead the patroll periodically by himself to ensure the safety of Hakumei’s contingent. They were too close to Seiryoku’s territory after all. He had left the Defense Force and the capital to his second in command so he could focus on guarding the meeting. The meeting itself would be held outside the village in order to avoid the villagers getting involved, but he had to make sure no one would stab them on the back.

He nodded his ackowledgement to every person giving reverence to him. Throwing glances around, he noticed how quiet the place compared to the market in the capital. Most people wore rough clothes, some of them even wore their farming gears. They might directly brought their harvest to be traded in the market, he assumed. As he scanned through the crowd, he caught a surprise.

A distance away from his spot, he saw a man was bargaining with a seller. The face, the smile, the posture... he recognized that man.

Is that really him?

He quickly shoved the rein of his horse to his soldier when he noticed the man he had just seen moved away. He walked fast after the man, restraining himself from running since it would draw people’s attention. He quickened his steps when the man turned to a less crowded alley. When he stepped out from the alley, he could see houses of farmers lined along the road ahead, but no trace of the man. He sighed in disappointment.

Maybe I recognize the wrong person.

“Are you looking for someone, Sir?” a voice was heard from behind him, taking him by surprise.

Turning around while his hand on the hilt of his sword, he widened his eyes as before him stood the man he was looking for. How could he not notice the man’s move? But then, he smiled inwardly.

As expected from him...

“Kei,” he muttered the name, letting out a real smile.

The man before him gave indifference expression, but then broke a smile, “Is that the name of the person you’re looking for, Sir?”

His smile faltered. Kei did not recognize him?

“Sir? Are you there?” the man called him from the daze.

He regained his awareness, “Ah, forgive me. Yes, I’m looking for a man named Kei. Do you... know him?”

The man heaved a sigh, “So that’s it. You creep me out just now, Sir. I was wondering why a soldier from the capital followed after me.”

The man then turned to retrieve the bucket he was hiding behind a tree, containing several fishes. Coming to stand before him, the man said, “But I’m sorry. I don’t know anyone around here with that name. Is he also a soldier l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter