Seeking Truths

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 77 Seeking Truths

 

 

“Ryutaro, I need to talk with you.”

Ryutaro heard Daiki called him after the governmental meeting finished. All the governors had been briefed about the current situation of the country, including the coming negotiation with Seiryoku. Now, they dispersed, returning to their respective tasks in their regions.

“Yes?”

Daiki led him to walk toward his quarter in the Inner Palace, saying, “Have you delegated North Province to your vice governor?”

“Yes, everything has been settled,” he answered. He had been appointed to accompany Daiki in the negotiation with Seiryoku, thus instead of returning to his province, he would directly depart to South Province with Daiki.

“Good,” Daiki said while inviting him to enter his chamber. He felt the prime minister was up to something, but he complied nonetheless.

After they were shielded inside the royal chamber, Daiki turned with a more serious expression, “I heard about the ruckus in your private mansion, Ryuu.”

He maintained his composure while wondering how Daiki knew. Neither he nor Yuto ever talked about the matter when they met. Daiki possibly noticed the strained tension between him and Yuto, he assumed. But then, Daiki was the prime minister. Daiki had all the resources needed to gather information all over Hakumei.

“I’m not ignorant. I know everything happen in my territory, Ryuu,” Daiki's words confirmed his suspicion. In fact, he believed everyone in the secret pact had noticed his cold relationship with Ryosuke all this time after his father was declared dead.

Daiki sat down behind his desk while he remained unmoving on his spot.

“Have you lost your trust to Ryosuke, Ryuu?” Daiki suddenly asked.

He calmly answered, “It’s not because of trust, Daiki. I’m just seeking truth about my father.”

“What kind of truth?”

“About what actually happen to my father. Is he really dead or alive, where he is now...”

“For what?” Daiki cut him off.

“What do you mean for what? Of course so that my family can have a peace of mind.”

“Are you sure once the truth is revealed you and your family will have a peace of mind?” Daiki asked more.

“Of course,” he said though he himself started doubting his own answer.

Daiki leaned back on his chair. “I know how you feel, Ryuu. I have lost my father and for a moment that time, I thougt I had lost a guidance. But then, I found one in my own heart. Don’t you think it’s the time for you to find your own light and let go of your father’s?”

“You don’t know how it feel to not knowing about what actually happen to someone important for you, Daiki. Your father’s case has been clear.”

“I may never know, but do you think Ryosuke doesn’t know either?” Daiki gave him a demanding gaze. “Of all people, he probably the one who can understand you the best, Ryuu. And I thought you know that.”

He lost his words. He could not rebut Daiki’s remark. It was true. If he looked for someone who could understand his predicament, it would be Ryosuke. Ryosuke had gone through the worse predicament than him.

“I thought you also know that he would never hurt us unless there was no other choice. He might not always explain his actions, but we knew that he always thought for the best of people, of Hakumei. After the sacrifices he made, do you still need more proof about that?”

“I know,” he admitted. “But am I wrong to seek the truth about my father, Daiki?”

“No, seeking truth is not wrong,” Daiki replied. “It is in the way you do it.”

Daiki stood up and approached him, “I’m talking to you as the head of Hakumei’s current government.”

Facing him, Daiki continued, “I won’t put my hand in this matter if only it doesn’t cause instability in Hakumei. You’re too rush, Ryuu, and rushing will never give a good result. Moreover, the ruckus in your mansion has risen a rumor about you and the intrigue in the cabinet. We don’t need any addition of problems, Ryuu. Please consider it as my first and last warning for you.”

He could not relent that easily, “Do you by any chance know about the truth I’m seeking, Sir?”

“No. I don’t know anything about it. I’m as uninformed as you in this matter, but I try understanding Ryosuke’s reason.”

“But I can’t,” he objected. “I admit my fault for using the governmental soldiers for my own purpose. Pardon me. I won’t repeat the mistake.”

Daiki heaved a sigh before replying, “By the tone you use, I know you won’t stop, Ryuu. Even if you continue seeking news about your father, make sure it doesn’t arise another problems like you did with Yuto. However, as a friend, would you listen to my suggestions?”

“What is it?”

“Be patient because sometimes all we have to do to find the truth is by waiting, let the time reveal it, and do think about why you want to know it so much because sometimes the truth is better left hidden. I’m afraid that Ryosuke keep the secret so tightly indicates that the impact of it is worse than we initially thought.”

“Thank you for your advices,” he appreciated it.

“For now, let’s just focus on Seiryoku, Ryuu,” Daiki gave him a friendly smile. “Please sit down, and we’ll discuss it before departing tomorrow.”

He did as Daiki wish, and soon they were drowned in another serious talk about their coming meeting with the king of Seiryoku.

**********

Mirai’s eyes were brimmed with tears as she observed the sleeping form of her husband. His hair was damped by sweats. She wiped his face and hair with a towel carefully to not wake him up. Strectching her hand to put away the towel, she winched in pain. She rolled up her sleeve and found out that her right arm was bruised. It was where Ryosuke gripped tightly before. Ignoring her pain, she continued her ministration to tend Ryosuke.

Her tears eventually fell despite her attempt to refrain from crying. Every drop of them reminded her of what had just happened a moment ago.

She was preparing to sleep when suddenly Ryosuke rushed in. His face was so pale and his teeth gritted hard.

“Ryosuke? What’s happened?” She asked worriedly.

He did not acknowledge her question, instead he hurriedly rummaged into his bag beside their bed.

“What are you looking for?” She dashed toward him.

The small bottle in his hand was her answer. Painkiller. She recognized the drugs as he ever showed her once. She saw he swallowed two pills at once. The understanding dawned at the moment. It must be the contraction of his internal wounds. Bracing herself, she held Ryosuke’s shoulder as he tried to stand up, helping him to lie down on the bed.

By seeing the way his jaw tightened, brows knotted and lips frowned deeply, she could guess how excruciating the pain he felt. As Ryosuke writhed and groaned while holding his right abdomen, she soothed him the only way she knew. She gathered him in her arms, placing his head on her lap and holding him tight.

He unconsciously gripped her right arm. His grip was so strong that she thought it might break her bone, but the pain from seeing him struggled to bear the painful contraction was a lot stronger.

“I’m here, Ryosuke. I’m here,” she whispered to his ear as he hissed in agony.

She learned from doctor Hayato about the possibility of this symptom would appear once in a while in an internal organ’s wound, but she never thought it would be this painful. She kept running her free hand on Ryosuke’s back as he buried his face on her lap to muffle his cry and curled in to try lessening the pain. The bedsheet crumpled since his other hand gripped it as tightly as the one on her arm.

It took a while before eventually Ryosuke’s writhing ceased. He lifted himself from her lap and lied on his back. His breaths were heavy and cold sweats had drenched his shirt. He still closed his eyes while winching once in a while.

His eyes fluttered open when she his head, asking, “How do you feel now?” She struggled to hold her tears from falling, sounding as calm as possible so that she would not make him worry.

Gulping, he answered with a voice barely above whisper, “Sorry...Mirai.”

“What are you apologizing for?” She kept his head while tampering down her panic.

He looked so exhausted and weak, and he strugled to stay awake as he answered, “For surprising and scaring you.”

She shook her head and leaned down to give a peck on his lips then asked while placing her hand on his right abdomen, “Is it still painful?”

“No.” He replied while reclosing his eyes. “Not anymore.”

His breaths gradually evened, and she thought it would be uncomfortable if he went to sleep with a wet shirt. So, she opened the buttons of his shirt, “Take it off first, then you can sleep.”

He propped on his elbows with his remaining energy, helping her taking his shirt off, and just a few seconds after she finished, he had dozed off. Pulling the blanket over him, she brushed her lips on his forehead, praying for him to have a good rest.

It seemed she was too deep in her thought that she did not notice there was someone entered the chamber. She quickly brushed her tears off as she heard a voice called her. Turning around, she saw Ainosuke stood beside the bed.

“What is it, dear?” She asked, climbing down the bed to crouch before her son.

Ainosuke took a look at the bed, replying with a question, “Has Father already slept, Mother?”

“Yes. Isn’t it also the time for you to go to bed?”

Ainosuke nodded, “Father usually tucks me to bed, but he doesn’t come to my room tonight. That’s why I come here, Mother.”

She mustered a smile, “Your father is tired.” She stood up then held her hand out to Ainosuke, “Mother will tuck you to bed. Come on, dear.”

Ainosuke threw a glance at Ryosuke and said, “Good night, Father,” before reluctantly taking her hand. They stepped out and headed to Ainosuke’s chamber hand in hand.

Once Ainosuke settled on his bed, she adjusted the blanket then sat down beside him.

“Father uses to tell me story, Mother,” Ainosuke said, lying down on his back while staring up at her.

“What kind of story?”

“About a place called Hakumei. Father said that is our true homeland.”

Her smile almost faltered when she heard that, but she managed to talk, “Yes, that’s right, dear. Do you remember what your father has told you?”

Ainosuke nodded, smiling enthusiastically, “Father said Hakumei is different from Ryuusei because Hakumei doesn’t have a king or princes. Also, in our home over there, we have so many horses. And father also told me that I have many uncles and aunties, and cousins, too. I really want to meet them, Mother, but father said I have to be patient.”

She his head tenderly, muttering her words not only for her son, but also for herself, “Someday we’ll go home, dear.” Someday...

“Father also said that, Mother.”

She felt tears started to swarmed her vision, so she drew a breath, diverting her emotion, “What did your father tell you about our families?”

“Father asked me to memorize their names.”

“Who are they then?”

“There is Uncle Hikaru, Mother’s big brother,” Ainosuke brought up his hands and started counting with his fingers. “Then Father’s big brother, Uncle Keito. Uncle Keito’s wife is Auntie Nami, and their children are Akari-neechan, and Shohei-chan. Then there is Uncle Yuto, father’s best friend, and his wife, Auntie Suzuka, and their daughter Mayuko-chan. Then...”

Ainosuke frowned a little as though disappointed because he could not recall the rest of the names, but a few seconds later he beamed and resumed his count, “Ah, there are Uncle Yuma, Auntie Haruna, and Hana-chan. Also, Uncle Daiki, Uncle Ryutaro, and Uncle

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter