Strained

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Accompanying song: Tsunagu Te to Te (Hey! Say! JUMP)

  Chapter 42 Strained

 

It was just this morning Mirai saw Ryosuke smiled a lot, yet right now, in the early night everything reversed. Sitting on her bed, she stared at Ryosuke’s form before the window. He was keeping his silence ever since he entered her chamber and by seeing his uptight face, she dared not to intrude his space. She assumed he wanted a silent company this time. Thus she remained unmoving and waited for him to speak.

Having nothing else to do, she reminisced about their light conversation this morning.

Ryosuke came to her chamber a half hour after he dismissed her from his chamber.

“Just help me with my back. I can take care of the rest by myself,” he said when noticing her blush as he took his shirt off.

He turned his back on her and she shifted her sit. She saw some bruises had turned blue. She would just need to rub the balm on those to lessen the pain. It was just ten minutes until he put his shirt on.

She noticed that the bruises on his face had been concealed and when she was about to ask, he spoke first, “I used to do it when training became hard. I was hurt often on my face but I need to maintain a decent appearance as a prince, thus I’m familiar with all kind of concealers.”

She blinked in amusement. “Though I’m a woman, I don’t know much about cosmetics, honestly.”

“You don’t need to,” he said and she smiled hearing that.

“About what I said a moment ago,” he resumed his talk, “I barely have spare time to offer you. I’ll be very busy during the day, but I’ll give the night for you.”

She blushed and he smirked, “Don’t jump into conclusion, my lady.”

She pouted, “I don’t.”

He fended her protest off, “I possibly will come here every night. You can ask me anything you want to know about me. I’ll try to give you the honest answers.”

“Really?” She could not help but wonder.

He frowned slightly, “Should I remind you that I mean my words?”

She shook her head. “No, no. It’s not that. I’m just… finding it too good to be true.”

Noticing his growing annoyance at her disbelief, she quickly added, “Please don’t misunderstand. I… you used to be so secretive and put so many layers around you that I couldn’t even guess what kind of person you are. And now you offer me such liberty… it’s like a dream.”

He let out a mild sigh, “I’ve promised to build a life with you. I’ll do it properly. So, never doubt me.”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that. I believe in you.”

He smiled, “I won’t have it the other way.”

And after giving a quick peck on her right cheek and making her blushed more, he left the chamber.

“Mirai,” he spoke eventually.

“Yes?”

He made a half-turn and looked at her. His face somehow had softened.

“Come here,” he held out his hand and she stood up to take it.

Without releasing her hand and they had been close enough, he asked, “Want to take a walk?”

“Now?”

He frowned slightly, “How about next year?”

She got the message immediately, “No! I mean… of course, I want to. Where are we going?”

“Anywhere is fine. Let’s go,” he led her to walk, but then halted and released her hand.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

“Your coat,” he said shortly.

She just realized that she had not done her winter coat and could not help but giggle at her own carelessness. “Sorry, I almost forgot.”

She went to her closet and took a coat. Suddenly she felt him standing so close behind her, a hand reached out over her shoulder and took a scarf from the closet. After sensing he had stepped back, she turned around.

“Put it on,” he pointed at the coat and she did as he told her.

He stepped closer after she finished putting her coat on. Her heart started to pick up when he leaned forward to wrap the scarf around her neck. She could feel his breath on her ear and it was tingly.

“Done,” he gave her a satisfied smile after that. She returned it with her smile.

“Let’s go,” he gestured her to follow his step. She walked a step behind him and exited the chamber.

Once they were outside, he instructed the guards, “Tell the maid to make sure the chamber is warm when we return later.”

“As you wish, Your Highness,” the guard bowed.

He resumed his walk, leaving her several steps behind. She jogged after him and was glad that he halted to wait for her arrived at his side before continuing his steps.

**********

Yuri was in his chamber reviewing reports. Never had he thought he would do this kind of work. He used to move all the time, but now he was obediently sitting and examining his paper-works. He would leave them to Umika if not for these reports were highly confidential that even Umika should not know. During this time, Yuto chose to visit him.

“Chii, if the execution really happens tomorrow, when we will receive the news?” Yuto straightly asked.

He somehow could read where Yuto headed to with his question, “The fastest spies need at least six days to reach the castle.”

“Can I ask you a favor?” Yuto continued.

“What?”

“Please don’t give the report about the execution to Ryosuke,” Yuto’s face contorted with sadness and he understood it well. “Not only about my father but also the others. He already has too many burdens. It will only weigh him down more.”

He sighed, “You’re the third person asking me that.”

Yuto widened his eyes in surprise. He took one of the reports he was currently working on and gave it to Yuto.

“They thought so,” Yuto muttered after reading the parchment.

He nodded, “Yes. Apparently Ryutaro and Daiki had received the news before us. They asked me not to tell Ryosuke, too.”

“Then why did you tell him?”

“It’s wrong to hide it from him,” he explained. “I understand you all meant good to him, but don’t you see how lies affect him? He is still fragile, Yuto, and I think let the burden out one by one like this is the wisest way than let it all out later in one go.”

Yuto sat down to the chair before his desk, “But seeing him so guilty about things he doesn’t have control over… how he asked me to stay with him until the end… it almost break my heart, Chii. I can’t bear seeing him suffer so much.”

“Do you think I can?” he retorted. “But I believe in him. He will toughen up by every passing ordeal; just like how he grew up all this time. Moreover, we’re lucky that Mirai is here with him so she can lessen his pain. If we break the news much later, are you sure she will still be here to do that?”

“Chii!”

“That’s prevention, Yuto. After we knew what Ryunosuke wants… anything can happen in the future,” he hardened his heart to even think about the possibilities.

Yuto slumped into the chair, looking exhausted. He knew Yuto also had to deal with his own problem now. Just slightly after lunch, Yuma’s squad arrived at the castle, bringing Keito and his companions. He was surprised seeing Kei with Keito, alive and woundless. Yet, they all were more surprised seeing Okamoto Suzuka rode with them.

“What will you do to her?” he asked eventually.

Yuto massaged his temple, “I don’t know, Chii.”

“You better short out your thoughts soon or it will hinder your duty,” he remarked. “Moreover…”

“Moreover?” Yuto probed when he paused.

“Moreover, judging by how the things develop, I have a feeling that Ryosuke will move sooner than we’ve planned.”

**********

Ryosuke walked slower than he used to for adjusting with Mirai’s steps. They walked through the main garden of the castle, on the pavement road. The garden was vast and had a pond in the center. The moon had risen halfway to the highest sky, glowing beautifully in its golden light. They were alone in the garden, strolling in silence.

“Ryosuke…?” he heard her called hesitantly. He halted when noticing she had stopped walking.

“What?” he turned to her.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter