Twilight Glory (1)

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 81 Twilight Glory (1)

 

 

Sun had already shifted to the west sky. A few hours later dusk would replace the day, and the moon would bring another glow of summer. Nightsky in summer was always clear that people could see the stars twinkled beautifully. It would be really great if combined with the big fireworks prepared for Hakumei’s grand summer festival next week. With that thought lingering, Yuto was squatting down in the Royal Knight Cemetery. Before him was a tombstone of his father.

“Father,” he started after finishing his prayer. “Suzuka has given birth a couple days ago. Your second grandchild is a boy. You would be really happy if you could see him, right?” He smiled as though his father was indeed in front of his eyes.

“He is adorable, and I believe he will grow to be a magnificent figure. And Father, I visit you not only to tell you that, but also to apologize for I’ll name him not after you or any hero in our family. I and Suzuka has agreed to name him Ryosuke. Nakajima Ryosuke. You wouldn’t mind, would you? After all, we’ll name him after the man that had brought me and Suzuka together, and the one you and General Shida had protected with both your lives.”

At this his thought automatically drifted to his memories with his best friend. Feeling his tears welling up, he drew a deep breath and mustered another smile.

“Please bless your grandson, Father,” he utter his wish before standing up and straightening his back.

He threw his glance around the cemetery. Tombstones were aligned in order, grouped according to the family one came from. Years ago, he had searched for his uncle’s grave in Nakajima area, but he couldn’t find it. Nakajima Yasuragi, Keito’s real father. It turned out that his grave was purposely placed at the public cemetery and his tombstone was unnamed, as though intended to erase his presence from everyone’s memory. However, after deep thought, and with Ryosuke’s consent, he had moved the remnant of his uncle to the Royal Knight Cemetery, among the other Nakajima. No matter what his uncle’s mistake, he was still a Nakajima, still a family. In a pure thought, he wished his uncle and his father would be able to reconcile in their current world.

Heaving a sigh, he decided to leave the ground.

He would have to check his subordinates’ works for the preparation of the summer festival. This year festival would be very different from the previous ones since it would be the first festival held after Hakumei was legally accepted as a nonkingdom member of Kingdoms Alliance, the first festival they would enjoy with all people of Hakumei, and might also be the first festival in which many families had finally reunited after being parted for years.

He halted his steps as he was about to walk by Shida’s area. He saw two figures crouched down in front of a certain grave. He kew exactly whose grave that was since he often visited it: General Shida Makoto’s grave. In a second, his heartbeat raced with his quick strides. His jaw tightened as anticipation rising inside him as he saw the man and the woman with familiar builts a distance away.

They are... they can’t be...

He quickened his strides when the man rose to his feet, noticing his approaching presence, while the woman was still deep in her prayer. The man turned around, meeting eyes to eyes with him.

Tears reformed in his eyes as the man smiled at him.

“Chii,” he muttered the name once he reached a spot three steps away from them.

With Yuri's face brightened by his forming smile, Yuri replied, “We meet again, Yutti.”

The same playful nickname Yuri always called him with made him almost chuckle before he noticed the woman had finished praying and immediately stood up and faced him.

“Yuto-kun,” her voice softly uttered his name with obvious surprise in it.

It was as though he had a lump in his throat that he could not speak even a word when seeing her. As her surprise fading, a bright smile that always be her specific characteristic, that Ryosuke always loved to see, bloomed on her face.

“It’s been a while,” she said more, bowing slightly to him.

“Mirai,” he mustered a sincere smile while tears had welled up more. “Yes, it’s been what, six years?”

“Six years and seven months to be exact,” her smile was gentle, and he just realized how much she had changed over the years.

He took steps closer, “Six years and seven months?” His tear leaked out while his smile still intacted. “You count it, huh?”

“That’s what one would do when they’re missing their homeland.”

At this, he brought his arms around her, pulling her in a brotherly embrace. “I’m really happy to see you just alright.”

It was as though part of the heavy burden was lifted from his back when he saw Mirai was safe and sound. He had already considered her as his own sister, not only because she was the person Ryosuke loved the most, and the precious friend of Suzuka, but because just as Ryosuke, she was someone who could easily be loved. He somehow could understood then why King Shohei had picked her for Ryosuke.

After a few seconds he pulled away and she presented him with another smile, but this time her eyes were teary.

“We are finally home,” she calmly spoke.

“Welcome home,” he replied with the big smile of his.

After she returned the gesture by smiling wider, he glanced around them, searching for a certain someone.

“He is not here, Yuto,” Yuri’s voice drew his attention.

He observed Yuri and Mirai’s expressions, and there was only slight sadness on their faces that he could not guess whether he would hear good or bad news.

“What do you mean?” he asked for explanation.

“Ryosuke is not here, Yuto-kun,” this time Mirai spoke.

“Then, where is he? Is he alright? Is he... still alive?” The last phrase was so heavy in his mouth.

“He is...,” Mirai trailed off, seemed could not really answer him.

“Just come to Chinen’s residence tonight, and you’ll get the answer,” Yuri gave him a reply.

“I just want to know his condition. Why should I wait until night?” he protested. Didn’t they know how worried he was over Ryosuke?

“Please, Yuto-kun,” Mirai’s solemn gaze pleaded. “This is not the proper place. Just come to Yuri-kun’s house tonight with the others.”

He could not rebut her, not after realizing the sorrow behind her watery eyes. He felt that she had become much stronger emotionally compared to her back then. If it were her old self, he was sure she would have been crying hard.

“Alright,” he eventually yielded to her request.

She smiled, “Thank you.” And then turned to Yuri, “Let’s get going, Yuri-kun.”

Yuri nodded and gestured for Mirai to walk first, ahead of him. “I’ll be behind you.”

He caught Yuri’s signal so he followed to walk beside Yuri behind Mirai, leaving the cemetery.

“Where are you two going?” he could not help his curiosity.

“To the downtown,” Yuri answered shortly. “Have time to come along?”

“Sure,” he replied while following where they were heading to.

Once they were outside, he saw a carriage of Chinen family had been waiting. Mirai immediately got in while Yuri hoped into the coachman seat on the front. Mounting his own stallion, he nudged the beast to reach the carriage. Soon, they departed to the downtown where the grand festival was prepared.

It turned out they did not head straight to the center of the event in the downtown. They instead headed to the side of Amanogawa. There were smaller stalls situated along the road, and small ships were lining on the river, completed with their colorful decorations. When they turned left in the fork road, he finally could assume that they were heading to Shida residence.

With many feeling and thoughts jumbled inside, he rode silently behind the moving carriage.

**********

Shida residence had been renovated and lived by Hikaru, Ami, and Lady Akemi since the last two months. And most of it was Yuto’s deed. Yuto told him that it was the wealth his father left for him, but he knew it was just Yuto’s excuse to help him. He knew how much Shida’s wealth was, and it was much smaller than Nakajima’s, so it was impossible for his father to have such big amount of money moreover after being splitted out to Shida’s branches. He did not like being dependent on anyone, thus he had been thinking about getting a proper job.

Living as a commoner surely was difficult. That thought lingered all the times in his mind. He used to never consider about money since it had been already provided while he just focused on his duty to his family as a council member, but now he had to do something to earn money for his family.

The last of his brush was made at the same time Ami called him. He had been painting in his working chamber for hours, just like what he used to do when he needed time and space to contemplate about things. He left his randomly finished painting and followed Ami’s call. He was having guests, she said, and he wondered who they were.

Once he entered the living room, the only one he saw was Daiki.

“Yo, Hikaru,” the prime minister greeted him casually with his wide smile.

“You are alone?” he raised a brow. He had expected more people since Ami said ‘guests’.

“Oh, no, no,” Daiki answered. “The tea was spilled on her dress that your mother is lending her a change, and the boy is out there, admiring your paintings.”

His brows knotted more as Daiki made him confused about whom ‘she’ and ‘the boy’ referred to. But before he could ask him, a cheerful voice rang accompanied by sound of running steps coming closer from the front room where he was displaying his paintings.

“It’s awesome, Uncle!” the voice quickly followed by the emergence of a small boy.

The boy immediately halted from his run a few distance away when he stared at the boy with questioning look.

“I’m sorry for being disrespectful in your house, Sir.” The boy bowed to him.

Daiki chuckled right away and approached the boy, saying, “No need to be that stiff, Ai-kun.”

The boy straightened his back and looked at him with a bit fear, “But...”

“Nah, let me introduce you to him,” Daiki ushered the boy to come closer to him while giving him a knowing smile. “This is Uncle Hikaru.”

What was with Daiki referring him as uncle? He thought confusedly. Yet, at this, the boy’s face brightened and quickly his wary look was replaced by a delightful smile.

“Uncle Hikaru? As in Mother’s big brother?”

“Yup, correct.” Daiki gave a satisfied smile at the boy.

“Oi, wait!” he chimed in as the conversation got more confusing.

Before he could extract any explanation from Daiki, the boy ran even closer to him, looking up and asking, “May I hug you, Uncle?”

“Huh?” He sent a look to Daiki which was ignored purposely, then looked down at the boy’s expectant look. It was unbecoming to disappoint a kid, he thought. So, though he was confused, he bent down to look at the boy closer.

When he got a clearer view of the boy’s face, he widened his eyes. Those eyes were just like Mirai’s... and that smile... the face features... all of those reminded him of Ryosuke.

“Uncle Hikaru? As in Mother’s big brother?”

The boy’s words echoed. Could he be...

“May I, Uncle?” the boy repeated his request, and his heart started to pick up as assumption form

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter