Remorse

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Accompanying song: I wo Kure (the original Hey! Say! 7)

 

Chapter 44 Remorse

 

The wary was somehow hanging in the air around the Nakayama castle. The higher ranks in the castle had anticipated this day though they could only assume without able to do anything. Based on the report given by the spies, the day would be the execution declared by Okamoto. Yet, someone among the higher ranks did not know about the problem. Thus he could feel himself enjoying the morning sun.

Hikaru was doing a simple warm up motion in the medical ward’s yard. He was still in recovery from his wounds and had not been let to leave the ward, given excuse that it was easier that way to monitor his progress.

“You look better,” a voice interrupted his time.

He turned to the intruder and found Ryosuke stood a distance away. “Thanks to the strict treatment you instructed the doctor to give me.”

Ryosuke stepped closer, “I need to talk with you.”

It was not a question or request. Ryosuke’s eyes told him not to refuse, so he complied, “Fine.”

They were back into his chamber, sitting across each other.

“Do you think you will be able to recover soon?” Ryosuke asked straightly.

“Aa. The doctor said I heal fast. Just need another week before they release me.”

“Good,” Ryosuke stated. “I want you in the troop.”

Again, it was not a request or question, but a demand from the future king. He had no choice but to agree.

“What should I do?”

“I’ll leave the castle with Yuto. I want you to assist Yuma and Keito to manage the troop here.”

He considered it before answering, “To have you visit me personally like this, you must have more important reason than asking me that.”

“You’re quite observant,” Ryosuke remarked, a small smile appeared on his face. “Yes, I have a specific task for you.”

“What is it?”

“I want you to take care of the escape,” Ryosuke answered. “When the battle escalates, bring the ladies and the others away to the hideout and keep them safe until the chaos recedes.”

“You have decided when you’re going to move?”

“Yes. Soon. In a week most.”

He raised a brow, questioning Ryosuke’s decision.

“I have planned every step. Never underestimate me.” Ryosuke firmly stated.

He felt a bit shame for doubting him. He should have known since his father had ever stated that Ryosuke would be the strongest pillar of Hakumei. “Sorry.”

“Forget it,” Ryosuke shrugged it off. “Moreover, please keep extra attention on Mirai during the time.”

“Why?” His heart started to pick up.

“She is included in Okamoto’s wanted list. Ryunosuke demand her as his mistress.”

This made his anger ignited, “WHAT?!”

“That’s why I ask you. You understand your sister better. I’ll be absent from her side and I can trust her to none but you.”

He assessed the circumstance quickly, “Does she know about it?”

“No. It will only trigger her panic and fear.”

He agreed to that. “How about your decision to move?”

Ryosuke was a little hesitant when answering, “I haven’t told her either.”

He gave Ryosuke a mild gaze, an understanding suggestion, “You should tell her. It’s better to let her know sooner from yourself than later from someone else.”

Ryosuke nodded, “I’ll consider it.”

**********

Away in the capital, deep under the ground of Royal Palace of Hakumei, in the darkness of a bunker, General Nakajima counting his time. In the narrow space, he kept his dignity by not writhing in pain as the gashes in his skin bled; seeping through the damage shirt he wore. He could not guess how long he had been kept in the dungeon as there was no window or even small hole where he could see the sun rays sneaked in. Only darkness and creepy tranquility surrounded him.

Despite all, he knew that soon he would meet his doom. He recalled the last torture he received.

A bucket of water was thrown on him after they finished lashing him. He gritted his teeth and tightened his jaw to refrain himself from begging. Shinsaku stood before him.

“This is the last chance. Cooperate or die,” Shinsaku taunted.

“Death is way better than disgrace myself under you,” he maintained his calm though the pain was unbearable.

Shinsaku sneered, “Fine then. I still have several people I can extract information from. Die you should.”

Shinsaku walked away, but threw another threat before he reached the door, “You know, the only way I can think to clear up the shame on Okamoto caused by your family is by wiping out the Nakajima and Yamada. Once I get a hand on them, I’ll make sure they will suffer more than you.”

Right after that the guard dragged him back to the dungeon.

“Your execution has been set tomorrow, General,” the guard informed, too kind for the dungeon guard’s standard. He was a bit lucky that he got the guard that had ever under his lead.

The guard left him a glass of water, lock the jail then left him.

He assessed the circumstance. Judging by what Shinsaku leaked out, he assumed that Ryosuke and Yuto had successfully escaped. If everything ran as the plan, they should have reached Matsudera. Had the secrets been revealed? How was Ryosuke reaction? Could the bond between the prince and the knight be preserved?

He reminisced about his younger days.

“Ne, Hoshi, I know that I’m not a crown prince. Nakajima will provide the shield for brother’s son, but,” the fifteen years old Shohei paused. “Can you at least give me your daughter?”

He widened his eyes, “Oi! Since when you become a e?!”

Shohei blushed madly, “Gee, Hoshi! You get me wrong! That’s not what I mean!”

He frowned, “Then what?”

Shohei calmed himself down, “I mean your daughter for my son. Get our child married to each other. So we can prolong our bond through generations.”

He chuckled as he got the meaning, “Ne, Shohei, you haven’t got even a lover but you’ve talked about children. You should stop stuttering in front of ladies before you think about that.”

Shohei stomped off, “I’m being a visionary here, mind you.”

He only chuckled at his best friend annoyed face.

He smiled remembering the scene. Who thought that years later Shohei would replace his brother’s place as the crown prince then soon rose to the throne? The shield had finally given to Shohei’s son. Yuto and Ryosuke was their prolonged bond. He wished none of those two acted unwisely that could forsake the bond. He had a lighter thought when he compared the current problem between his son and him. At least, Yuto was not directly involved. He remembered one of the worst days in his life.

It was over two years after Shohei’s coronation that he was summoned to Shohei’s private chamber. When he entered the camber, he saw Shohei playing with his sword. Somehow the aura surrounding Shohei was dark and menacing.

“What would be your need, Your Majesty?” He dared not to be too familiar with the King this time.

Shohei walked toward him, swaying his sword leisurely. He anticipated what was yet to come, gulping in tense. He did not see the next thing coming. Shohei moved so fast that he could not even see the motion until the sharp blade pressed on his neck lightly; wrong move could cause his head rolled.

“You’re still too trusted, Hoshi,” a cynical smirk appeared on Shohei’s face. “You should have anticipated anything. You’re too disappointing for a Head of Royal Palace Force.”

His heart started to pick up. Did something happen beyond his knowledge?

The blade glinted dangerously under his chin, “I’m afraid I don’t get it, my King.”

“YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, GENERAL! You’re the one placed him as her guard!”

Him? Her?

“Shohei…?” He dared to bet on his luck. Shohei had soft spot for the promise from his friends. “I never disappoint you before. I swore to be your confidant. We promised to be best friend forever. S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter