The Dull Aches

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 76 The Dull Aches

 

Keito was grooming a certain stallion in one of the stalls in the huge stable. The stallion was just arrived a couple days ago. It was pure black with white diamond shape on its head and white accent in all four of its knees. The height was two inch higher than any other stallions in his farm. With its strong legs and endurance, the beast could run so fast in a long distance.

“I want a stallion like this, Aniki. It will be an amazing war horse, don’t you think?” Ryosuke ever said to him back then when they were still teens and learnt about horses. “But even with our wealth, this kind of horse is expensive.”

“I’ll get it for you someday.” He said.

“Don’t sweat it. I don’t want to use the money just to satisfy my own need. It’ll be better if you use it to expand the development of our kingdom, Aniki.”

He chuckled, “Maybe I can get several of them for our cavalry, instead?”

“Ah, that’s a better idea. You should propose it to the council, Aniki.”

He remembered the time when that proposal was realized and the horses arrived from Sabaku. Ryosuke was so excited even though he would not be the one who ride it. He remembered seeing Ryosuke looked at the horse with dreamful gaze.

He sighed. He wished he would have a chance to present the stallion to his brother someday.

The other horses snorted noisely as the stable door opened. A familiar figure entered and approached him. Leaning on the fence just outside the stall he was currently in was Shida Hikaru. Hikaru had arrived at his place a week ago.

“Keito, think you can accompany me to the town tomorrow?”

“For?” He said while combing the horse’s mane with the brush for the last time.

“I need to buy things for my trip back to Heiwa.”

He was surprised to hear that. “You’ll return there so soon? You don’t want to visit the capital?”

Hikaru put both his hands into his pants pockets, “There is no reason for me to stay here any longer, Keito. There’s no Mirai, no father… and, what my family members did to Ryosuke has left me ashamed. I haven’t ready yet to face the rest of the alliance. Besides, my mother and wife are waiting for me.”

He put down the brush and washed his hands before inviting Hikaru to walk out from the stable. Once they were outside, they could see a small meadow of sunflowers after the farm fenced clearing.

“Sunflowers in the summer,” Hikaru muttered.

He followed with a remark, “I guess that place means something for Ryosuke.”

“Is it?”

“When Ryosuke was here, he spent a lot of time in the meadow over there.” He answered while remembering the time Ryosuke visited him.

Hikaru’s gaze was distant. “Maybe he was reminiscing about the day when he was forced to take a day-off and spend it with Mirai.”

“The time when your father called Mirai to the south-east camp, wasn’t it?”

“Yes.”

He smiled inwardly. “You know, in the beginning I thought their marriage wouldn’t work.”

“I thought so. Even, I used to not like Ryosuke so much because he often made Mirai cry.”

“And I had planned to arrange another marriage for Ryosuke if Mirai couldn’t melt his heart. But turned out...” He did not finish his sentence.

Hikaru sighed, “We’re such worrywart big brothers, aren’t we?”

He chuckled before turning his way to the main house while Hikaru stepped beside him.

“Won’t you at least stay for another week, Hikaru? Yuto uses to send me message in the fifth week of every season,” he stole a glance at his companion. “I feel that this time he may tell us something important.”

Hikaru seemed to contemplate about his suggestion. “I can’t, Keito. Heiwa is currently discussing about Hakumei. I can’t leave Ami to handle things by herself.”

“There are also officers Daiki sent, right?”

“Still, I can’t stay here for too long. I’m sorry. I really need to go back.”

He sighed in defeat, “Fine then.”

They entered the house through the back door. He wondered where Nami and his children were as the day had glided to the dusk. Nami had asked for his permission to bring Akari and Shohei to the summer festival in the town and he let them go, guarded by one of his maids and farm employees, but he clearly mentioned for them not to stay in the town until dark. As he remembered about the festival, he could not help but remark.

“I miss the summer festival in the capital,” he stared to the far sky.

“That has been Hakumei’s tradition for hundreds of years. What’s happened with that?”

“Not much change. Except for the time of war and a year after that, the summer festival is kept running every year. The only change is that since two years ago there was no royal campaign.”

Hikaru went silent for a time before remarking, “I never thought Ryosuke would step this far.”

“Do you regret it, Hikaru? That you’re no longer a noble?”

“Losing almost all I have is disappointing, but I can’t blame Ryosuke for wanting this kind of life. I saw how people of Hakumei live now. The air feels different. There is something in the way they smile and talk that I never saw before when the kingdom still existed. They indeed look happier. I think Ryosuke has made the right decision for Hakumei. Sacrificing a few people for the nation is always the best choice all the times, right?”

He sensed an irony in Hikaru’s words that he asked, “Do you think you’re one of the sacrifices?”

Hikaru let out a silent chuckle, “If we think logically then yes. I am one of the sacrifices. I lose my family, my wealth, my privileges, but—“ Hikaru sat down on the porch. “Those are not the things I regret to lose. What I regret the most is that by this change, I lose the reason to return here. I lose the reason to stay in Hakumei.”

“What do you mean?”

Hikaru stared a distant gaze when answering, “King Youji of Heiwa has offered me to be his permanent resident and work for him. I declined it thinking that someday I’ll have to return to Hakumei because Mirai and the rest of my family are here. But now... Mirai is possibly living in Ryuusei with her child, and Shida family is no longer a family I’m proud of after the betrayal they did. If Mirai doesn’t return here once the isolation is lifted, I’ll start to think to accept the offer and stay in Heiwa for the rest of my life or go to Ryuusei and search for Mirai.”

“Hikaru—“ he was cut off by the sudden noise coming closer to them. Children giggles signed him that his family had returned from their outing.

True be told, Akari slid the door to the back porch open and dashed to him. Shohei trotted down in his small steps following his older sister, but midway he stumbled and almost fell forward unless Hikaru quickly caught him. He let out a relieved sigh as he saw his son was safe.

“You alright, Sho-chan?” there was worry in Hikaru’s tone.

Shohei nodded, saying, “Thank you, Uncle.”

Hikaru smiled while patting Shohei’s head tenderly, “Be careful next time, okay?”

“Uhn!” Shohei smiled widely before resuming his walk to approach him.

Once his children settled beside him on the porch, they started to fill him in about what they had been doing in the festival.

“I’m going to wash up first,” Hikaru announced his leave.

He only nodded his answer. Staring at Hikaru’s retreating back, he could not really pay attention to what his children talked about as his mind was replaying another conversation he had with Hikaru days ago.

“How long have you been married with Ami?” he asked.

“Almost three years,” Hikaru said while placing Shohei on his lap.

“So, any child?”

Hikaru’s face darkened a shade before a bitter smile appeared, “Not yet, but if my son was born, he would have been as big as Sho-chan.”

“What’s happened?”

While focusing himself to play with Shohei, Hikaru answered, “An accident happened, and Ami got miscarriage.”

“I’m sorry to hear that, Hikaru.”

Hikaru only responded him with a small smile.

Losing his child must be hard for Hikaru, and now, Hikaru had to listen to the news that his father had already passed away, and Mirai was nowhere in Hakumei. He could understand if Hikaru in the future did not want to return here.

“Mother!” Shohei called out excitedly when Nami emerged from the door and walked toward them.

Smiling gently, Nami sat down beside him and took Shohei to her lap while Akari nestled to him.

Akari’s head, he remarked, “You’re late.”

“I’m sorry,” Nami looked up to him before focusing her gaze at Akari and said, “Akari, go to your chamber and prepare to take a bath.”

Akari nodded obediently then stood up and did as her mother instructed. Once their daughter left, Nami’s expression changed into the serious one. Letting Shohei played on her lap, she told him, “It seems something is going on, Anata. The road was so crowded that it held us back and made us late to return home. This province’s soldiers is marching through town and heading to the border with South Province. I heard someone talked that it is by the highest General’s order. Someone else argued that we might be preparing for another war.”

He frowned, “No way Daiki would initiate a war. And should the circumstance turn to be so dire, Yuto would’ve informed us.”

“I think so.”

“We don’t need to worry then,” he smiled to her. “Anyway, Hikaru is going to return to Heiwa the day after tomorrow.”

“So soon?”

“He said he can’t stay for too long.”

“Alright. I’ll prepare the things he needs for the trip.”

“Yes.Thank you.”

Nami smiled before bent down to Shohei, “Sho-chan, let’s take a bath.”

“Don’t want to,” Shohei shook his head in disagreement. “Want to play.”

“If you don’t take a bath, you’ll get sick and have to drink medicine,” Nami persuaded.

“Medicine? Yuck! Don’t want to be sick.”

“So, let’s take a bath then.”

This time Shohei nodded obediently.He smiled at his wife and son’s interaction. He was really gratefull that he was blessed with a lovely family: a dutiful wife and sweet children. Nami was so loyal to him, even when eventually she knew he was not an Okamoto, but a Nakajima.

A lady raised in Okamoto household had the idealism of avoiding getting involved with anything related to Nakajima, and the first months of his reunion with Nami after the war had showed him that she held onto that idealism, too. In those first months, their relationship was strained. It was not only because of his real identity, but also because Nami’s father and brothers were among the members of Okamoto clan that had been sentenced to death. And, also because of a truth about her which he found out five years ago after Okamoto Kota’s execution. As he remembered that, he told Nami about his coming plan.

“Nami, I’ll probably visit Father and Mother’s graves this autumn. Do you want to go along?”

Holding Shohei in her arms, she answered, “I want to, but Akari has school, and Shohei hasn’t been healthy enough to do a long journey.”

“Do you want something from the capital then?”

“No, just send my greeting to Suzuka if you meet her.”

He knew Nami was close with Suzuka ever since they were kids, and currently they were the only prominent members of Okamoto’s ladies he knew still alive.

Nami was about to stand up when a sudden thought had him said, “I probably will visit his grave, too.”

Her brows almost knotted, “Whose?”

He carefully mentioned the name, “Kota.”

Nami was surprised, but it changed into sadness soon. “You don’t need to do that.”

He softened his gaze at her as he saw her expression. “You want to pray for him, don’t you?”

She looked up with a confused look, but then composed herself, “Are you still doubting my feeling for you all this time?”

He stood up as she did and took Shohei from her. “I believe in you,” he replied without hesitation.

“Then, why do you ask that?”

“Because I know you’d want that, visiting Kota’s grave and praying for his soul. Am I wrong?”

Nami lowered her head before looking up, “I want to visit at least once, to say my gratitude as he had protected me and Akari. I don’t have any other purpose.”

He smiled in understanding, “That’s why, just go with me.”

“You don’t mind me visiting him?”

“I mind,” he replied fast. “But I also want to say my gratitude properly. Just once is fine.”

Nami leaned forward and hugged him who was carrying Shohei, “Thank you.”

 Their son giggled between them, and Nami pulled away smiling. “I’ll give Shohei a bath, then prepare the dinner. Will it be alright if I come to serve you later?”

“I can take care of myself, don’t worry.”

“Alright then,” Nami took Shohei back to her arms and carried him to the bathhouse.

He was watching her retreating. Closing his eyes, he recalled a conversation he heard accidentally long time ago after the war, in the secret quarter Ryosuke provided for him and his family in the Inner Palace. It was the conversation between Suzuka and Nami that had almost gave him a heart attack.

“Oniisan told me to never tell you about this, but I just want you to know, Nami, that he had loved you ever since the day you stayed by his side when our Mother passed away ten years ago. All this time, he always wished you happiness. So, for all had happened, blame our family, but please don’t hate Oniisan.”

Nami’s voiced was a bit trembled, “Why he never told me?”

There was a short pause before the answer from Suzuka came, “Because he knew that you loved him, too.”

Nami let our a loud gasp and he that eavesdropped behind the door had to hold his breath.

“He... knew?” Nami stuttered.

“Yes,” Suzuka replied. “He knew you’d reciprocate his feeling if ever he told you, and he didn’t want that. You’ve been engaged to Keito-kun, and it’d be a disaster for our family if you and Oniisan had a relationship. Oniisan always valued Okamoto clan more than anything. So, he decided to keep silent and support your marriage, for our family’s sake.”

At this, he heard Nami’s heartbreaking cry. His heart almost broke. He remembered in the first year of their marriage he once caught Nami had a longing look when she saw Kota, but he shoved away his worry and decided to trust Nami’s loyalty, but... what he just heard was...

His body moved on its own. He turned the handle and pushed the door open.

“So, all this time you’ve been loving someone else?” he directly questioned Nami who widened her eyes as he entered the chamber.

“Keito-kun, you heard it?” Suzuka was the one who responded him.

Instead of answering Suzuka, he fixed his gaze at Nami, asking, “Were things between us just a lie?”

He saw tears streaming down Nami’s cheek, but she kept silent.

“Keito-kun, please don’t misunderstand.” Again, Suzuka answered him.

“Suzuka,” this time Nami interrupted. “Please, leave us alone.”

Suzuka threw him an apologizing look then proceeded to leave the chamber.

When they were finally alone, Nami looked at him with her teary yet unyielding eyes, “Can’t you differentiate between true and fake feeling, Keito-kun?”

“After all that had happened, I can never be sure which one is true.”

Nami composed herself before speaking, “I grew up only with one goal, that is to be a perfect bride for you. But along the path I walked to reach you, I had to face so many hurdles. Your Mother and Uncle Shinsaku didn’t go easy on me for I’d be the crown princess to whom everyone looked up to. And when I fell numerous times, the one who always there to raise me up was Kota-kun. I used to admire him and harbored a feeling for him, that was true. But on our wedding day, I’ve decided to accept you and learn to love you. I had tried all I could to nurture the feeling for you, but if it isn’t enough for you... if you can’t accept that there was someone else before you, you have the right to divorce me. Moreover, we’re not the same. I’m still an Okamoto, but you are not.”

He was reminded of how his bond with Nami strained after she knew the fact that he was an illegitimate child of his mother with Nakajima Yasuragi. Though they stayed in the same chamber, they barely shared a talk.

“Since you bring that up, now let me make sure about where we stand,” he replied. “You’re right. We’re not the same. I don’t carry Okamoto’s bloodline as the husband to whom you’re arranged to marry with. I love you, Nami, but I won’t force you to stay in this marriage if you don’t want it. You’re free to choose now.”

“Do you want me to stay?” she asked back. She was showing him the way a lady of Okamoto behaved: proudly and unyielding; that their conversation seemed more like a negotiation than a heart-to-heart talk.

“It’s your choice, not mine.” He replied

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter