The Storm Took Form

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 14 The Storm Took Form

 

 

The night breeze could not soothe Yuto. He had paced back and forth for a time, worriedly waiting outside Ryosuke’s chamber. He had arrived from inspecting his own squad and checking the other guarding squad’s condition a while ago. He had discussed the subsequent action they would take with the other captains and Okamoto Kota, the temporary leader of the group during Ryosuke’s absence. Everything had been set except for one: Ryosuke and Lady Mirai’s condition.

It had been almost a month after the royal campaign started and everything had been going well. In fact, they should have been in their way back to the palace unless the attack came. They were marching through the forest outside Hokubu, the nearest city to the capital, when an unknown group ambushed them. Ryosuke ordered him to protect Lady Mirai. His squads along with the other squads fight the assailants for a time until the assailants retreated without rhyme or reason. Considering their state, they decided to rest in Hokubu, seeking a protection until the reinforcement sent for them.

He looked up when he heard the door creaked open. Ryosuke stepped out. He observed Ryosuke carefully. Ryosuke’s shirt ripped at his left shoulder where a sword cut him. Blood stained the shirt. He also noticed Ryosuke’s face was paler than usual. Everything else beside that seemed fine.

“How is your wound?”

Ryosuke took a step toward another direction as he answered, “It’s been treated. I’m fine.”

“Lady Mirai?” Yuto asked further as his steps fell beside Ryosuke.

“She’s shocked, but unwounded. She’s sleeping now.”

Ryosuke opened the door just beside the previous chamber. It seemed that he would not stay at the same chamber as Lady Mirai. When they entered, Yuto saw there was a pile of new shirt and pant on the bed. Ryosuke took his shirt off to change into the new one. Seeing Ryosuke’s shoulder had been bandaged neatly gave him a little relief.

“Any casualty?” Ryosuke asked while sitting on the bed.

“Two dead, five badly injured. The rest only got light injuries.”

“You?”

“I’m fine, just some small cuts.”

Ryosuke took a long breath that caught Yuto’s attention.

“Are you sure you’re alright?” He noticed sweats started to form on Ryosuke’s forehead.

“Aa. It’s just that they used poison on their weapon.”

Noticing Yuto gasped in surprised, Ryosuke hurriedly added, “It’s not that bad. Just small amount that I can tolerate.”

“Have you taken the antidote?”

“Aa. That’s why I’m sleepy now.”

“You better rest then. I’ll give you the full report when you’re awake.”

He saw Ryosuke took his boots off then laid on his back. He was about to walk away when Ryosuke called.

“Yuto…,” Ryosuke’s voice was lethargic.

“Do you need something?”

He saw Ryosuke closed his eyes before answering:

“You… don’t worry about me. I have Chii. So… just protect her….  Don’t let anything… hurt her…”

Ryosuke paused and Yuto waited silently for him to continue.

“I can’t bear another death… Yuto-kun…”

Ryosuke’s voice grew weaker by every word before he completely dozed off.

He looked sympathetically at his best friend’s exhausted form.

Ryosuke’s face was uptight even in his sleeps. He remembered the fear flashed in Ryosuke’s eyes when Ryosuke ordered him to protect Lady Mirai during the assault. Then also his word just now…

‘I can’t bear another death, Yuto-kun.’

It had been… three years since Mariya’s incident happened, yet it seemed Ryosuke had not let the guilt go. Would he bore the guilt for his entire life? Ryosuke should have moved on, moreover he had Lady Mirai now in his life; and she had started showing an interest toward him. If the curiosity of the lady grew to be something more, dare he said love, and Ryosuke stayed as he was… Suzuka was right. It would only cause pains for both of them. Would Ryosuke be able to survive the pain?

What should I do to lessen your burden, Ryosuke?

**********

Mirai woke from her nap. The doctor had given her a sedative. It had been a tough day for her. Sword fighting was not new for her, but being in the center of combat… it was a nightmare she never wished to have.

Blood… so much blood. People fell down on injuries. The loud screams… The deadly glint in her assailants’ eyes… Yuto’s bloody swords… every pieces of that assault jumbled one after another.

“You’re awake, Mirai?” Miru sat on her bed.

“How long have I slept?”

“Three or four hours. Feeling better?” Miru handed her a glass of water.

She took a gulp of the water. “A little.”

“Prince Ryosuke ordered me to accompany you tonight.”

She turned sharply to Miru, “How is he?”

She had been drinking the sedative when Ryosuke walked in with a wound on his shoulder and she had fallen unconscious before the doctor tended to his wound.

“His wound was not too deep, but there was inflammation on it. The doctor said he might be poisoned.”

Her heart thumped loudly. “Poisoned?”

Miru nodded, “Yes, that’s why the doctor gave him an antidote. I guessed he is resting in the room next to us.”

Before she had time to think about it or to stop herself, she dashed to the door.

**********

Ryosuke opened his eyes. He was alone. Looking around, he realized that he was not in his chamber. It was somewhere outside. The view before him was familiar: the sun, the river stream, the trees… After a careful look, he was sure that it was Amanogawa, but… why was he at this place?

He caught a glimpse of someone sitting under the biggest three at the riverbank. He strode closer, his heart thumped. No way… It couldn’t be…

It was as though his heart stopped beating.

The figure was… him…..his younger self… four years ago…

Was it the scene from the past?

The young Ryosuke had been reading a book at his usual spot, under the biggest three beside the stream of Amanogawa. Soon after, someone sat deliberately a few distance beside him.

The older Ryosuke widened his eyes, recognizing the intruder.

It was the only girl in his circle of friends…. Nishiuchi Mariya.

Standing still in front of them, the older Ryosuke watched his younger self and Mariya conversed.

“You really like reading,” Mariya acknowledge.

“Aa,” he replied with his usual one word answer.

They did not exchange words after that for a time. Ryosuke was engrossed in his reading, not realizing the sadness glinted on his companion’s eyes.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter