Bonds

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Accompanying song: Together Forever (Hey! Say! JUMP)

 

Chapter 41 Bonds

 

Understanding did not mean Yuto was not hurt. Hell, it hurt so much. If not for his hard training to control his emotion all this time, he was sure he would have gone berserk. He had pushed himself to work and work after Yuri delivered the dreadful news. Yet, no matter busy he was trying to make himself now, the pain could not be diverted. His father’s face dangled before his eyes; his stern expression, his caring gestures… and his lifeless body. The latter was only his imagination… bad. The execution was still in three days and he had thought about his father’s death. What kind of son he was. His father was currently alive!

“Yuto-kun,” he knew well whose voice it was without even looking at the owner.

“I’m working, Ryosuke,” he was not in the mood to talk and continued to check the recently coming logistics. It was an early night, and he could do it later tomorrow morning, but he needed a distraction.

“Come with me,” Ryosuke said.

“After finishing this,” he avoided meeting Ryosuke’s eyes. He did not want Ryosuke knew the anger he had. It was disgusting. He was supposed to be Ryosuke’s shield, yet now he developed resentment toward his master just because the circumstance which he knew too well was not Ryosuke’s fault. He was in the edge of his failure, both as Ryosuke’s friend and knight.

“It’s an order, General. Come with me.” Ryosuke’s tone was firm.

“Please let me finish this, Your Highness,” he bowed slightly then returned to his work.

“Defying my order, huh? I wonder how General Nakajima Hoshi taught you all this time, Yuto-kun.”

It was his undone. He spun around and faced Ryosuke.

“What do you want, Ryosuke? Can’t you leave me alone just this time?” He gritted his teeth.

“I’ve said it clearly. Come with me. Now!”

Ryosuke did not wait for his reply, but turned around and started walking away. He did not have a choice but to follow him. It turned out they went to the training ground. There were some squads of infantry having night-training in the ground, but Ryosuke dismissed them immediately and continued to walk into more secluded area.

Reaching a certain spot, Ryosuke halted and turned around to face him.

“Spar,” Ryosuke said, unsheathing his sword. “Draw your sword.”

He was hesitated. “Not with sword.”

“Huh? Do you think you can inflict a wound on me?”

He would not risk his life, moreover Ryosuke’s life. Sword-sparring when he hardly managed to control his rage would not be wise.

“No sword or no spar,” he said with his remaining self-control.

Ryosuke sheathed back his sword, drew it from his waist-tie and dropped it to the ground. “Fine.”

He threw his own sword to the ground. He wanted to let out his fume to be honest. “You ask it yourself, Ryosuke. I won’t hold back.”

To his annoyance, Ryosuke smirked, “If I remember correctly, the last time I lose to you was five years ago, Yuto-kun. So, that should be my line.”

Gritted his teeth, he sank down to a particular stance. “Bring it on.”

He was a bit caught off guard when Ryosuke smiled, a genuine smile this time, almost exciting instead, before lurching forward and speeding to his direction. Shrugging his hesitation away, he pushed himself to meet Ryosuke’s move midway.

Who care that I’m fighting the last blood of royalty now!

**********

Suzuka drew her coat tighter to shield herself from the coldness of winter. She was riding in the center of soldiers. In front of her were Keito and Yuma. Kei was in her right and another soldier in her left. Behind them were the rest ten soldiers. She was counting every step her mount made as her anxiety grew.

What would happen when they reached the place called the secret base? Would she meet Yuto? Would Yuto welcome her presence? Would people accept her? Or would they loath her because she was an Okamoto? She recalled the occurrence happened before they departed yesterday.

“Why did you bring an Okamoto with you?” she heard a loud voice of a man from outside the safe-house.

Kei told her not to mind it and asked her to finish packing immediately. After all were finished, they stepped out only to find Keito arguing with the man that came to the house a moment ago, introducing himself as Nakayama Yuma.

“She is not a threat, I assure you,” Keito defended her.

“Still it doesn’t change the fact that she is an Okamoto. Woman or not, she is a danger you should not bring to us,” Yuma rejected the idea. He bluntly showed his resentment toward her when they met eyes.

“She was the reason I could escape the palace. She is coming with us.” Keito insisted.

“No,” Yuma objected. “I’m not risking my master’s life by bringing her.”

“Ryosuke will not be that harsh in judging people by their lineage,” Keito argued further.

“Unfortunately, I’m not as kindhearted as His Highness. It’s my duty to hinder any potential danger away before it can even reach him.”

“I give you my life as the bet. If anything happen in the future, I’ll take the responsibility.”

It was hard to witness the argument. She had been living in faith that Okamoto was an honorable clan. She always held her head high and proud. Now, that the rebellion had broken out, she could understand the hatred people had against her and her family. Yet, she still had her dignity to preserve.

“Nakayama-san,” she slipped in their dispute.

The two men turned to her. She struggled to maintain her composure. An Okamoto should not show any weakness. She chanted the line to strengthen her stance.

“I come not to bring Prince Ryosuke any danger or to be a burden for anyone,” she spoke. “I offer him a truce.”

It was not unexpected when she saw Yuma sneered. She was not in the position to offer. She should be begging instead. Yet, her dignity would not let her posed less than what she had.

“I have what Prince Ryosuke needs,” she said further.

It perked the young captain’s interest, “And what is that?”

“Information,” she answered. “About the agreement between Okamoto and Seiryoku.”

All eyes immediately focused on her.

She sighed deeply. She would only tell the secret to Prince Ryosuke, no one else. That was the reason Yuma eventually let her went with them. The parchment she hid under her coat reminded her of her last conversation with her brother.

She was crying her heart out in Kota’s embrace after Yuto broke up with her. It was the first time in her life Kota showed this side of him. He was gentle all this time, but never let her came too close to him.

“Is he so important for you?” Kota asked while her hair.

“I… love him,” she answered between her sobs.

“Will being together with him make you happy?”

She nodded weakly. “Yes.”

“Even happier than the time we were playing together with Mother?”

Their mother’s face flashed and the scenes from the past replayed. It had been ten years since their mother passed away and Kota stopped playing with her.

“I… don’t know,” she could not compare them.

“But happier even than if you become a princess and have anything you want?”

This time she was sure, “I don’t want to be a princess.”

“Will it not be enough to make you happy by staying with me like this?”

She choked before answering, “I love you, Onii-san, but I love Yuto-kun, too. You’re different than him. My happiness with you and with him is different.”

“So… there’s happiness only he can give to you?”

She nodded while burying her face to Kota’s shirt, “Yes.”

After a time of silence, Kota said, “I’ll bring you to him.”

“Onii-san?” she was taken aback by the statement.

“Listen, Suzuka,” his tone was serious. “Okamoto and Nakajima will never get along. But if you’re sure you can be happy with him, don’t falter no matter hard your way ahead. Once you step onto that path with him, you will be no longer an Okamoto, but you will always be my little sister that I promised to protect. Even when the time comes where you should face me as an enemy, don’t ever forget that.”

“Onii-san,” her tears flowed harder. “Why? Father will kill you if he knows.”

“I can take care of myself, no need to worry.”

“But why are you doing this? Why don’t we go together?”

“I can’t leave Father, Suzuka. My loyalty never allows me defying the oath I made. I will never betray my family.”

“B-but… let go of me is betraying your oath, isn’t it?”

Her brother gave her a small smile, “I make an exception for you.”

He brushed her tears off, “Okamoto is my pride, but you are my life. I can’t live if you’re unhappy.”

“Onii-san…”

“Ever since you’re born, I promised to make you happy. So, after this, don’t be unhappy or you’ll make my effort be in vain.”

“But, Onii-san…you…?”

“Don’t hesitate and don’t worry about me. This is my fate, the path I choose, and you have your own fate. Remember everything Mother taught you. You should be strong. No more tears. Never look back and never regret anything. Promise?”

She could only sob harder.

“Cheer up,” she heard Kei spoke. He might see her face. “He sent you here so you can smile, so don’t be sad. Everything will be alright.”

She gave him a small smile. For more than two months staying with Keito and Kei, she came to know that Kei was actually a light-hearted person, but his job demanded him to be cold and stern and somehow he could understand what she was thinking. Though sometimes it was unnerving, it gave her a little relief. At least, there was still a person or two that did not resent her so much because she was an Okamoto.

Staring to the road ahead, she prayed that Kei was right, that everything would be alright.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter