Groundwork

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 46 Groundwork

 

 

Ryosuke was on the way to the troop camp when he caught a glimpse of a line-up of civilians near the logistics stall. It had been a week since he arrived at the ground base. It was the right decision to make a direct inspection apparently. There were many things he had just known; one of those was the voluntary deed from Matsudera’s civilians. As Yuma said, Matsudera’s people had been raised to be his family loyalists. Yet, he had not thought it went to this extent: they voluntary submitted their crops for the troop, his troop. He was convinced that it was voluntary because he had made an investigation by himself. He did not wish to involve any civilian, yet they came by their own will, so he could not deny their benevolence, could he? After all, he needed all helps.

He resumed his rode to the camp, but halted once more when he noticed there were children among the civilians. He sighed as he saw the innocence of their face. The war might rip those innocence, he felt guilty. He pulled the reign of his stallion and nudged it to move. Another thought came into his mind. Children… it reminded him of his conversation with Mirai.

It was one of the evenings after Mirai’s training when they walked together from the training ground and saw a stable boy walked a distance away from them. The boy was so young, might haven’t reached his teenager age, he assumed.

“Ne, Ryosuke,” suddenly Mirai spoke and he gave her a side glance. She looked at him with her smile, “Have you ever thought about having children?”

The question caught him off guard that he halted in his steps. Mirai noticed it and quickly added with blushing face, “I’m not suggesting anything, really. I’m just curious.”

Normally, he would when he saw her blushed. Yet, this time he could not help but felt guilty.

“I’m refraining myself to ever think about that,” he resumed his walk and Mirai’s steps fell beside him.

“Why?” He knew this question would come. She always needed an explanation, and he had promised to give her honest answer to her every question.

“It’s not that I don’t want to have child,” he started. “In fact, I like kids and have imagined to have my own since I was so young, but in the current circumstance I think it’s better not to have one.”

He knew it surprised her as he noticed she halted abruptly after hearing that. He turned around to face her and continued his explanation when he caught her questioning look.

“I don’t wish my children living in this cruelty. I don’t want them to suffer just like me… like us,” he softened his gaze upon seeing Mirai’s sad face.

He advanced toward her. Tucking a few strands of her hair behind her ear, he said, “If everything runs according to the plan, we will have a better world after the battle over. When that time comes, we may discuss further about this matter, but for now, just be patient. I hope you understand, Mirai.”

She looked up and gave him a small smile, “Alright, when the time comes.”

He ended his thought once he reached the camp’s gate. A sea of white tents welcomed him. It was like a perfect camouflage, blended with the whiteness of the snow. He aimed his mount to the center of the camp where the biggest tent, the commander tent, located. While riding slowly in between tents he recalled his protest of having him separated from the camp.

His minions insisted he stayed at the residence in the nearby village. The camp itself spread out above the farming fields outside the village. They had deliberately reasoned that he had not used to the hardness of living in a tent during winter. He was almost going livid as they subtly implied that he was not strong enough. Yet, he admitted that they were not absolutely wrong. As hard as he had been trained, a real war was not in his life experience before. That and the anxiety contorted strongly on General Shida and Governor Nakayama’s face upon his health and safety had him submitted to their plead. He did not wish to add the stress on his minions by acting stubborn.

The soldiers stumbled upon his way greeted and saluted him. He nodded his acknowledgement. Reaching the tent, he dismounted and let a soldier brought his horse away. He flapped open the tent and stepped in. General Shida, Governor Nakayama, and Yuto stood up from the seat they occupied, bowing their reverence to him.

“Am I late for the meeting?” He was sure he was not.

“No, my prince, in fact Nakajima-kun was about to pick you up,” Governor Nakayama answered.

He walked over to his seat and sat down, “No need. Have you acted on my instruction?” He directed the question to Nakayama.

“Yes, we have arranged better rations for the soldiers as you wished,” Governor Nakayama reported.

“Good,” he said while flipping the pages of the report before him. He had instructed them to give the soldiers better ration of food to improve their endurance during the winter. He could not give them a better shelter, so that was the least he could do to alleviate their predicament.

Before he could proceed with the meeting, a soldier requested to report.

“What is it?” He asked when the soldiers arrived before them.

“General Chinen Yuri and his squad have arrived, Your Highness.”

He had expected their arrival, so he instructed, “Bring General Chinen to me.” The soldier bowed then left to carry out his order.

“I shall postpone our meeting. Leave for now,” he commanded. The elders stood up and left, but Yuto remained, so he added, “You should leave, too, Yuto-kun.”

“I’m not allowed here?”

“No, I’ll tell you if anything needs your concern,” he said.

He saw the reluctance in Yuto’s face, but he fended it off. Soon after, he was alone waiting for Yuri.

“Sorry, we’re a day behind the schedule. There’s a miscalculation in the preparation,” Yuri greeted him this way.

“It’s tolerable, but nothing’s wrong, right?”

“No, it won’t affect the mission,” Yuri assured him.

“You bring me something?” He had expected a report from the spies.

“Report from the capital, Ryosuke,” Yuri was a bit hesitated.

He had an assumption about it. “The execution?”

Yuri nodded, “Yes, it has been done. General Nakajima Hoshi…”

He got the meaning though Yuri did not finish the sentence. General Nakajima Hoshi had been executed and no longer alive. His heart clenched upon knowing it.

“Have you told anyone?”

“No,” Yuri answered, “Everything comes to you first as you instructed.”

He sensed Yuri had another matter to report, so he probed, “Anything else?”

“They reported that Dowager Yumi has passed away as well,” Yuri paused to see his reaction. He signed Yuri to continue. “It was not disclosed what the cause of her death, but rumor said she committed suicide.”

“What you suggest?”

“I’m not sure, because our spies could not verify the rumor.”

He took a breath, “So, I have two deaths news to deliver…”

“How will you tell Keito?”

He stared at the distant, “Just by being honest,” he answered. “Send a messenger to summon Aniki, and tell him to disguise himself when coming here.”

Noticing Yuri’s questioning look, he explained, “The soldiers in the castle come from Matsudera and Kurofune. They have a slight probability recognizing him as the former king. Yet, the troop in this camp is your clan’s, Shida’s, and part of Royal Army from the capital. They will recognize him. If they know their king is still alive, they will have doubt in my authority. They don’t know about our predicament after all.”

“You get it Chii?” he repeated.

“Yes, I’ll send the messenger soon,” Yuri complied then added, “Ryutaro also sent a word.”

This was another report he had expected for some time, “What he said?”

“He didn’t specify the result. He only wrote that he and Daiki are in their way back here to report directly to you.”

He could not make an assumption based on the report. The result could be positive, but he sensed it could be the other way around or instead something beyond his calculation.

“I still have something for you,” Yuri suddenly said.

He noticed the small grin on Yuri’s face and became alerted, “What?”

“It’s something you would like,” Yuri said while reaching into his coat. He eyed him warily because he had learned that since Yuri was free from being his shadow, a mischievous grin Yuri showed meant something not good for him.

Yuri took out an envelope and handed it over to him. He received it with questioning look.

The grin on Yuri’s face widened, “That’s a letter from Mirai.”

Hearing this, he looked down to the letter. Mirai’s face flashed in his mind and he could not help but smile. “Thank you,” he said to Yuri.

“She is doing well,” Yuri added. “In fact, she is busier than ever.”

He smiled imagining her ran around the castle, “That’s good. She needs distraction.”

He put the letter into the inner pocket of his coat. He would read it later. Now, he had to attend another matter. Yuri’s grin faded when noticing his serious look.

“How many people you bring?” He asked.

“Umika brings two other female spies with her. For my team, there are ten men including Kei,” Yuri explained.

“You and Kei will be great in tandem. I count on both of you in this mission,” he remarked. “As for Umika’s team, I have insider arranged

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter