Rising Tides

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 56 Rising Tides

 

Ryosuke observed the prisoner from a distance away. Yuto and Yuri were with him, giving him silent companies. He saw the doctor exited the jail and strode towards his direction. He had instructed Yuri to call a doctor to examine Ryunosuke’s condition since he was told that the crown prince was wounded.

The doctor bowed and reported, “He is well, Your Highness. The wound on his arm has healed.”

He nodded then dismissed the doctor. After taking a deep breath, he stepped forward, intending to confront the crown prince. Yuto and Yuri closely stepped after him. The guard attending the jail opened the door for him to enter. Upon noticing his presence, Ryunosuke’s perked up from the tiny bed he sat on, posing a great hatred through his glare. The bed was facing the jail’s door, so when he stood before the door like this, he could talk face to face with the prisoner. The room was quite small, filled only with a bed, and a tiny bathroom on the corner. The reek invaded his sense ever since he stepped into the building.

Ryunosuke’s state was messy, yet his regal manner did not falter. Ryunosuke’s feet were chained to the wall by a metal cuff. Receiving the end of Ryunosuke’s deadly glare, he stepped closer until just beyond a hand reach.

He wondered what actually the crown prince went after all this time. He knew that Ryunosuke was a womanizer, yet why it should be Mirai he wanted? Back then, he was sure that Ryunosuke’s demand over Suzuka as his mistress was only a decoy for Okamoto’s plan, but how about Mirai? Was it only because she was his wife? Still, he could not fathom why Ryunosuke hated him this much. He did not believe that being defeated by him in the friendly royal tournament in Ryuusei when they were fifteen was the reason behind Ryunosuke’s act.

“So, it’s you,” Ryunosuke remarked, as if confirming his own suspicion about the mind behind his kidnapping.

“Long time no see, Ryunosuke,” he said while looking at the prince with his known impassive look.

Ryunosuke snorted, “Please to meet you, too.”

He masked his emotion when staring at the prince, “How does it feel living in here? Pardon us for not being able to provide you any fancy, though.”

“Just stop dillydallying! What do you want?” Ryunosuke spat.

“It’s no use to tell you because only your father can provide the things I want,” he answered.

There was a mocking in Ryunosuke’s voice when he said, “So, you make me a hostage. Well,” Ryunosuke leaned back to the wall behind him. “Good luck then in dealing with Seiryoku’s king.”

He frowned slightly, digesting the meaning, “Sounds like I have overestimated your value.”

Ryunosuke smirked, “You should learn about your enemy first before you act, Ryosuke. You don’t know anything about Seiryoku’s patriotism, I assume. Once we take a step forward, there will be no choice but to continue doing so. Retreating is unheard of.”

“Patriotism?” he retorted calmly. “Why it sounds like brutality in my ears?”

“Huh, a coward like you will never comprehend the meaning. So don’t even try.”

He sighed mildly, “Well, thanks for your advice then. Truthfully, I do think that it is not necessary to dwell into your value, for I have already had my own. So,” he paused to taunt his opponent.

When Ryunosuke focused his attention to him, he continued, “Since you convince me that you won’t be that important for your father, I suggest you start worrying about your own life then. No one will come to save you, right? So, you just have your own self to depend on now.”

Another snort came, “Why should I worry? You’ll never have courage to kill me. You’re always too soft for a man.”

It was only in a split of second after that when his sword swung slightly above Ryunosuke’s head. A few strands of the prince’s hair scattered on the white shirt Ryunosuke wore and on the bed sheet. He noticed the gulp Ryunosuke swallowed when he pointed the tip of his sword on Ryunosuke’s neck. Ryunosuke stilled.

“That maybe true for Prince Ryosuke you met half a year ago, but,” he dragged his sword tip along Ryunosuke’s neck, breaking the skin with a shallow cut. Blood smudged the steel. “Unfortunately, you meet a different man this time.”

He got the reaction he wanted: fear in Ryunosuke’s eyes even though it vanished soon after it appeared. He withdrew the sword, flicking the blood then sheathed it. “Learn about your enemy before you act. That’s your words, isn’t it?”

Ryunosuke threw him more hatred by his eyes but did not utter a word; blood trickled down from the cut line, smearing Ryunosuke’s skin and front shirt.

“Say,” he resumed the talk. “Do you bear a personal grudge against me, Ryunosuke?”

“I don’t need to answer.”

He shrugged, “Fine. Do as you wish.”

He turned around and walked away. Yuto and Yuri did not say anything all this time, but he noticed the trace of surprise on their faces. Getting out from the prison building, he had to shield his eyes for a second before he adjusted to the bright light of the noon.

“You scared me just now, Ryosuke,” Yuto remarked as they walked towards the main building of Nakayama castle.

Without slowing down nor softening his voice, he replied, “I’ve warned you, Yuto-kun. You should get use to it from now on.”

Yuto did not speak after that.

“…Ryosuke?” this time Yuri spoke.

“What?” he tilted his head slightly to Yuri.

“Will you stay for the night or…”

“No. I’m leaving to the ground base,” he cut Yuri off.

“Why don’t you rest for awhile? You’ve just arrived from South-East Province, right?”

Exhaling a breath, he turned to the stable near the main building, looking for his horse. “I will rest, but only after we win the battle.”

He entered the stable and gestured a stable boy to usher his stallion out. Yuto fetched his own horse.

“Not even stay for lunch?” Yuri asked while he waited for his horse.

He always had a soft spot for his little friend, thus he mustered a small smile for him, “I’m sorry, but I need to get to the base soon.”

Noticing the disappointment on Yuri’s face, he shifted the topic, “How about you and Kei?”

“We’re fine.”

“Get along well, will you? I will rely on the two of you much in the future.”

Yuri gave him a smile, “You can always count on me, Ryosuke.”

His stallion arrived and Yuto followed after. Mounting his horse, he said at last, “Thank you, Chii. Please send my gratitude to Kei, too.”

“Sure. Be careful on your way,” Yuri replied.

He let a genuine smile out this time before pulling the reign of his stallion and rode away. Yuto bellowed order to his squad when they reached the front yard. After everyone got on their mounts, they left the castle immediately.

**********

Mirai’s eyes fluttered open. It seemed she fell asleep while nestling in Ryosuke’s embrace. Before her was the meadow Ryosuke brought her to. She raised her head to look up to her husband, and a chuckle was soon heard. Ryosuke looked at her in amusement, and suddenly leaned in for a kiss. Blushing but not objecting, she let herself drowned in his gentle ministration.

When he pulled away, she was surprised as she saw tears trickled down his cheeks. Somehow she could not speak. She only stared at him, asking why while her hands wiping his tears off. He gave her a smile before planting a long kiss on her forehead. She did not know why, but her chest tightened and her tears streamed down unbidden.

He did not say anything. He led her to stand up and she complied. When she had straightened her back, he pulled her into his arms, holding her in silence.

“You promised me you’ll be strong,” he suddenly spoke without releasing her. “You also promised you’ll live happily no matter happen to me.”

Her voice could not come out, so she only nodded. He pulled away and brushed her tears off. Smiling, he said, “Don’t ever break your promise, Mirai.”

She nodded again.

“Stay here and don’t move,” he started to step backward towards the meadow.

He glided across the clearing, further and further away. She wanted to reach out to him, but he shook his head, telling her not to. Ryosuke stood in the path in the middle of the meadow. Flame came from the direction of the stream. The flowers withered in an instant, turning into ashes, when the flame ran through them. She wanted to scream to warn Ryosuke, but she could not speak. She wanted to run to him, but she could not move. Only her tears flowed unstoppable.

“You should live, Mirai,” Ryosuke’s voice reached her ears. “Please keep your promise.”

She shook her head strongly, repeatedly. She forced her feet to move, but something held her. The flame had engulfed Ryosuke, but he did not move even a bit. He smiled instead.

“You should live no matter happen to me.”

The flame did not trespass Ryosuke’s spot. It surrounded him, but he was not burned. The wall of flame flared around him. She could feel the radiated heat. Her heart thumped violently against her ribs, tears screaming her fear. She shook her head repeatedly, pleading Ryosuke to move away. Yet, he only gave her a smile and a look, as though told her, “It’s alright.”

While her tears flowed down profusely, his figure started fading away, little by little. She widened her eyes. She forced the air in her lungs out. She did not want him to leave her. She wanted to stay by his side.

“Farewell, Mirai.”

His voice echoed when the flame enveloped him completely, and then everything disappeared.

“RYOSUKE!!!”

Mirai sat up abruptly from her sleep. Her breath was heavy and her heart beat so fast. Tears continued to flow down her cheeks.

“Mi-chan? What’s wrong?”

She looked at her side and saw Umika approached her. Once Umika sat down on her mattress beside her, she pulled Umika into her embrace. She sobbed hard. She was too scared that she could not say anything. The nightmare had repeated ever since she left Matsudera. Why did she always have nightmares?

The dread grew stronger every time the nightmare came. Was it bad premonition? Or was it just she was over worried? But…

“Umika…,” she spoke in between her sobs. “I don’t… I don’t want to leave Ryosuke…”

Umika made soothing noises, “You have a nightmare again?”

She nodded. “It’s so scary …Umika. He… he left me alone… and I couldn’t even touch him… I… how if it really happens?”

“Shsh… he will be alright. He has a lot of people to protect him. They will ensure his safety,” Umika tried to calm her down while her hair.

She knew that. Her fathe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter