The First Sincerity

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 10 The First Sincerity

 

The spring had come. The day for Ryosuke’s second coming-of-age ceremony was getting nearer. People were so busy in the Outer Palace. The cooks had been preparing many kinds of dishes in the kitchen while some guards helping to put on the decorations. Mirai observed the works carefully. She had been fully in charge of the preparation since two weeks ago, though Lady Maeko would visited once in a while to check whether the preparation went well and so far everything was just as they planned.

The preparation had been exhausting, but it was a distraction Mirai needed. It had been three weeks after the sightseeing and she barely met Ryosuke. The atmosphere between them became awkward since that day or it might be only Mirai that felt uncomfortable talking to Ryosuke after the rejection she got. In a sense, she also felt that Ryosuke had been avoiding her. He rarely showed up for meals. The only chances they met was when she needed to ask him something related to the ceremony or they bumped into each other on their way to the front gate of Outer Palace.

Regarding the investigation she asked Miru to do, she had not received any valuable information. Miru said that it seemed people in the Outer Palace had been warned to not talk about Ryosuke’s past so it might be more difficult to find the truth. The only clue she had was that some of his story involving a girl. His lover perhaps? It was only make sense why he was adamantly tried to prevent the marriage if he really had a woman he loved.

“Mirai,” someone called her.

She turned around and once her vision landed on the figure, she burst into excitement.

**********

Ryosuke was walking passed the Eastern Wing when he spotted Mirai talking with a lady. The lady looked familiar but he could not recognize who she was. When Yuto noticed the reason Ryosuke halted, he told him,

“That is Lady Suzuka of Okamoto Family.”

Ryosuke frowned, “What is she doing here?”

“You remember right? Lady Mirai and Lady Suzuka were friends during their time in Royal Academy. And from what we have heard during the council meeting, I believe that they were quite close.”

When Ryosuke did not say anything, Yuto added, “Don’t you think it’s good for Lady Mirai?”

“What is good of it?”

“At least Lady Suzuka will give her company while you’re ignoring her.”

“I’m not ignoring her,” Ryosuke countered while starting to resume his walk.

Yuto followed him, “Yeah, you’re just avoiding her for weeks.”

“No,” Ryosuke retorted. “I am just… keeping a safe distance.”

Yuto’s brows furrowed together in confusion, “Don’t you think you’re too cold to her?”

Ryosuke did not respond.

“You make it harder for her, you know,” Yuto remarked.

Ryosuke halted, “How could you say so?”

“You said it yourself long time ago, that she doesn’t suit the palace life. You understand her situation more than anyone else. Yet, you’ve given her a cold shoulder so far. Shouldn’t you be the one who help her most? She has been a part of your life, after all.”

“You talk too much today, Yuto-kun,” he shrugged it off.

“Eh?” Yuto took a stride after Ryosuke. “You always run away when I say the truth.”

**********

Ryosuke was taking a night stroll in the main building of Outer Palace. He used to do that every time he could not sleep. Tonight, he decided to put use of his strolling to pick up some books he had intended to read for a time. During the walk, he reminisced his thought.

Was Yuto right? Was he too cold toward Mirai? It was not that he purposely ignored her, well only a bit. He was always asking an update about her progress, right? Wasn’t it enough? He knew well what she did. He would always provide the help she needed. Only he did not do it directly. But wasn’t it enough?

He raised a brow when noticing that the light in the library was still on. Who could be in there on this hour? He carefully turned the knob and peeped inside. Just when he spotted a figure, he let out a big sigh.

“Apparently it is not enough,” he muttered to himself, answering the lingering question he had.

He saw Mirai had seemingly fallen asleep on the library couch.

He strode in silently, avoided making a noise. When he had been able to see her clearly, he realized that she was only clad in her night robe while her coat hanging on the couch.

How can a lady be so careless?

He knew from her profile report that she was not quite a lady, instead living in boyish style. But still, she was his wife now. She should have realized to behave properly. Moreover, dangers were lurking everywhere. A little carelessness might cost her life. Where was Miru? Wasn’t she in charge of her lady? Wasn’t she always with Mirai?

“Tsk!!”

Mirai must be sneak out from her chamber, he concluded.

Ryosuke eyed the books laid on the table. He read the tittles and frowned, ‘She is learning about the royal family’s histories?’

He shifted his eyes to Mirai, ‘Now what?’

He sighed in defeat.

He had no other choice. There was no way he could just walk away and leave her in that state. She has been a part of your life, after all. He sensed Yuto smirked in his mind.

Carrying Mirai back to her chamber, he realized something. Mirai felt lighter than the last time he could remember. It had been only a month, how could she become so thinner? When he looked closer, he also noticed the black circle under her eyes. She had been sleeping properly, hadn’t she? He grimaced inside. How troublesome!

He saw a maid walking in the Eastern Wing and called her. Fortunately it was Miru. She gasped recognizing the person he carried.

“Lady Mirai! Forgive me for my negligence, Your Highness,” she bowed low.

“Enough of it. Just open the door for me,” Ryosuke instructed.

Miru hurriedly did as she was told. Ryosuke carried Mirai inside and laid her on the bed while Miru covered her with a blanket.

“Did you know she went to the library?”

“Forgive me, Your Highness. I did not know. I thought that Lady Mirai had been asleep.”

So, she did sneak out.

“Is this happen often?” His voice was a bit higher than usual.

Miru’s response was bowed lower than before.

“Does she eat properly?” He asked more.

“Lady Mirai sometimes skips her meal, but it become more often lately.”

“How is about her sleep?”

“For that, we did notice that Lady Mirai has some difficulties to sleep during the last tw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter