Avoiding the Inevitable

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 16 Avoiding the Inevitable

 

Somewhere outside the palace, a couple of youngsters were meeting in rendezvous. The man looked perplexed while the woman grew anxious.

“What really happened last week after my visit, Yuto-kun?”

Yuto shook his head. “I don’t know, Suzuka. I never saw Ryosuke that mad. He even almost knocked me down with his horse.”

“Mirai was crying all night long that day, you know.” Suzuka puffed out.

“And Ryosuke didn’t return to the palace either.” Yuto replied.

They engulfed in silence, drowning in their own mind.

“When everything seemed to get better, it plummeted down all of a sudden.” Yuto remarked.

Suzuka stepped closer and leaned her head on Yuto’s shoulder.

“And here we’re worried about their romance when our own relationship is not better.”

Yuto put an arm over her shoulder, “Patient, Suzuka.”

“I know, but…,” Suzuka stopped midway.

“But?”

She shook her head, “No, nothing.”

She had been sensing bad premonition for some time, but she did not want to ruin the rare chance she had to be together with Yuto.

“Ne, Yuto-kun, I’m grateful that Ryosuke assigns you to Mirai.”

“Hmm, why is that?”

“That way I have a reason to come and meet you at the palace.”

She looked up to meet Yuto’s eyes, “Meet you once every two weeks is not enough, you know.”

Yuto stared at her for a while.

“What?” She wavered under his gaze, a light blush appeared.

“Just,” Yuto smiled sweetly, “You can be so cute sometimes.”

She looked away shyly. “What are you saying?”

Yuto let out a light chuckle seeing Suzuka’s face reddened.

**********

Mirai had been depressed since last week. Studying books had not been appealed anymore. She spent most of her time in her chamber, mulling over things happened in her life. Or when her mood got a bit better and Ryosuke was not present, she would stroll in the garden. Just like this morning.

She visited Lady Umi’s grave out of impulse. It was the first time after her visit with Ryosuke on the day after their marriage. Arriving at her destination, she saw a white lily perched on the grave.

Ryosuke

His name popped out unbidden.

She slouched down on the ground beside the grave. “What should I do, Lady Umi?”

She froze seeing Ryosuke stood at the door. He advanced toward her with calculating steps.

“I… I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…”

His eyes shifted to the desk where the parchment still laid open. Mirai stood beside him, fidgeting. She could saw his jaw tensed more by seconds while his knuckle clenched so tightly it turned paler. She prepared herself to receive his anger.

“Leave,” he said with quiet voice, but she could sense the venom in it.

“I… I’m sorry,” she stammered, but did not move. She wanted to explain.

“Leave!” He raised his voice.

“I can explain…”

And then his head snapped toward her. Mirai staggered. His facial features betrayed nothing, except that his eyes held a cool fire of anger at her.

“What part of my word you don’t understand?  I said leave!”

“Ryo…”

“LEAVE NOW!”

That was her undone.

She heaved a big sigh.

She had spent the entire night after the encounter crying. Though, she did not understand. She was at fault since she entered his chamber without his permission, even read the letter she should not touch. She should be embarrassed and guilty, but why she felt so upset that her tears flowed unstoppable?

Remembering how his eyes looked always sent a chill to her spine. He had been really angry at her.

He did not talk to her ever since that. Always returned so late in the night and left so early in the morning. Not even presented in breakfast or dinner. Not even care to scold her when she fell asleep in the library.

Why is it so hurt when he ignores me?

She had tried to apologize, but he did not let her to speak even just a word. It would end up frustrated her more.

Miru had been worried about her because she did not tell her about what happened. What she did was a shame and she did not want Miru or anyone to know.

But then, who could she ask about Lady Mariya? No way would she ask around randomly.

What should I do Lady Umi? How can I gain his forgiveness?

“Lady Mirai,” a voice startled her. She looked up and saw Yuto stood a few feet away.

“Nakajima-kun,” her voice was surprisingly calm. “Do you need something?”

He gave her a smile, “That should be my line. Do you need something, my lady?”

“No, I do…,” she trailed.

“Yes?”

She looked at Yuto’s eyes. He seemed sincere. It might be alright to ask him, right?

Gathering her courage, after a time she carefully asked, “Do you know… Lady Mariya?”

She saw Yuto’s eyes widened slightly. “Who exactly do you mean?”

“…Lady Mariya of… Nishiuchi Family.”

Yuto did not respond. The silence stretched out.

“So,” Yuto eventually spoke. “That’s the reason of your quarrel with Ryosuke?”

She shook her head frantically, “No, no, no. It was…”

Yuto gave her a knowing look, “No wonder why he was that mad. It was a very sensitive topic for him.”

She looked up at him dejectedly realizing it was futile to hide it from Yuto.

“How did you know about her?”

She slumped in shame, “I… read her letter.”

Yuto sighed, “He even never let me look at that.”

She gulped in fear. If he even did not let Yuto knew, it meant that what she did was really awfully trespassing his boundary. She was in serious trouble.

She slumped deeper, “So what should I do?”

Yuto take a time to give an answer.

“Honestly, I don’t know. It’s unusual of him to be angry this long. But, just let him for a while. Speak to him when he has been calmer.”

She nodded weakly.

“In the letter… she seemed like… she loved R

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter