Waiting to Bloom

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 15 Waiting to Bloom

 

Miru fetched the lunch from the kitchen. Securing the tray on her hands, she strode toward the library in the main building of Outer Palace. It had been a month after they returned from the royal campaign; a month after the dreadful incident. Ever since their arrival, Mirai started developing a new habit. While Prince Ryosuke was busy with his council duties, Mirai engrossed herself in the library. She would go straight to the library after breakfast and just came out of it a couple hours before the dinner.

Setting the lunch on a table, Miru saw that Mirai had been reading another book, different from the one she saw this morning, and once in a while scribbled some notes on her notebook.

“Take a break, Mirai.”

Mirai looked up, seemed just realizing her presence. “Oh, it’s already lunch? Wait, just several pages more.” Mirai returned to her book.

She sighed. All her life knowing Mirai, it was the first time she witnessed Mirai passionately sitting and reading. It was not that Mirai did not like studying. She only had her own way to learn and drowning in mountains of books for hours was not something she would have done. Yet, now that was what Mirai doing.

“Done!” Mirai exclaimed with a full smile then scurried across the room. “What’s for lunch?”

She opened the veil to present Mirai her favorite menu. It was delightful to see how Mirai’s eyes lit up seeing the food. Mirai sank down on the couch and started eating.

“Is he going to return late again today?” Mirai asked between her munching.

She chuckle lightly, “The way you eat is so unlady-like, Mirai.”

Mirai pouted.

“Yes, he said he won’t make it for dinner.” She added.

“Oh, alright.”

For a brief moment she saw Mirai’s eyes flickered with disappointment and she understood why. Ever since Prince Ryosuke resumed his council duties after resting due to his wound, he almost never presented for dinner and often skipped breakfast, even when those were the only time Mirai and he would be together every day. Simply said, they almost never interact for weeks.

“Ne, Miru-chan. I just realized how ignorance I have been about Hakumei history.”

“Eh, what makes you think that?”

“I just realized that current royal family Yamada claimed the throne sixty years ago by sword and blood. They overthrew the previous royalty…Takaki, right? Isn’t ever since that that the rebellion started?”

Mirai took a time to drink before continued:

“People who ambushed us a month ago… they might be the rebel, right? The reason they targeted Ryosuke, could it be to cut the royalty lineage? If they get Ryosuke out of the picture, it will be easier to get to the throne. Or could it be a revenge? The rebel is part of the Takaki family after all. But then, why the council or the king doesn’t pursue this case further? Isn’t it a serious problem for the kingdom?”

Miru gaped in awe, stunned.

“Wh-why do you look at me like that?” Mirai noticed the strange look Miru showed.

Shaking her head to get rid of the shock, Miru smiled, her tone was playful. “Nothing. Just it’s the first time I hear you call His Highness by his given name. Ne, are you two getting closer?”

Mirai blushed realizing her slip of tongue. Miru was right. In front of other people, to Mirai Ryosuke had been always either ‘Prince Ryosuke’ or ‘He’.

“But,” Miru did not further the teasing, “You should also remember, Mirai, Yamada family are the direct lineage of Hakumei’s founder and have reigned for centuries. It was the Takaki that overthrew the legitimate royalty. So the current royal family Yamada was only claiming back what should be their right since the first place. And for the reason, I don’t know. You may have to ask Prince Ryosuke.”

“Ah, right. I forgot that part.” Mirai exclaimed while glanced at the clock hanging on the wall.

“Suzuka will arrive in an hour, right?”

Another new habit of Mirai was the constant meeting with Lady Suzuka of Okamoto Family on every first day of the week. Miru somehow felt grateful to the young lady that made the palace life felt a bit warmer for Mirai, yet she had to be careful, too, because Lady Suzuka was still an Okamoto.

Miru nodded, “Yes. That’s why you should finish your lunch to welcome her.”

 “Aye aye, Ma’am!” Mirai posed a salute before resuming her meals.

Miru mulled over her thoughts while watching Mirai. The reason she was stunned by Mirai’s outburst awhile ago was not the slip of Prince Ryosuke’s given name, but because it was the first time that Mirai discussed the things. She seemed had taken serious interest in the palace affair. So, she prayed, the wheel finally started turning to the right way.

**********

Ryosuke dismounted from his stallion. For a moment he only stared at the view.

Amanogawa.

He let his horse to grass around at the riverbank while he strode to a certain spot where the biggest tree stood proudly. This was the place in his dream. It was the place where Mariya had always kept him company. Three months ago this place had also witnessed his first meeting with Mirai.

He let himself slid down to sit on the ground while his back leaned on the trunk. His sword secured on his right side. He shut his eyes, ears listening to the rustle of leaves above him and the distance sound of river stream.

Are you alright?

Mirai’s face came into his mind. That night he saw the glint in her eyes which he had also seen long time ago in Mariya’s eyes, though it was not as strong as Mariya’s… yet. He smirked bitterly at himself. How much the fate enjoyed torturing him?

Fate always threw him things he did not want, but took away things he cherished. When he was a child, he had been happy having both of his parents took care of him, but then his father walked away from his life. When he was able to accept his father ignorance, and started to think that live with his mother was more than enough, she passed away. When he decided to not fall in love, Mariya came with the feeling he did not want to acknowledge. Then now… came Mirai.

He had not been sure how or what Mirai’s feeling exactly. But… her eyes reflected… affection. He could tell the worry, but there was something else. It was not love… the glint was too weak to be called with that word, but too strong to be called sympathy. It was like the kind in Mariya’s eyes in their first year of acquaintance. God… let it be just an infatuation… not more.

‘Please, don’t let Mirai harbor that feeling for me. It will only bring her pain. I don’t want anyone to suffer because of me… again.’ Ryosuke chanted in his mind.

“How is my mother, Uncle?”

“I’m sorry, Prince Ryosuke. Her Highness’ condition is not good.”

“Is she going to leave me? Is my mother going to die?”

The doctor kept silent and looked at him with pity.

Ryosuke run into the chamber. He stopped once he saw his mother and let his steps fell slowly.

“Mother?” His voice was uncertain and wary.

He saw her mother raise her head and turned at him. Once she spotted Ryosuke, she waved weakly, beckoning him to come nearer.

“Ah, a good boy doesn’t cry, dear,” his mother cupped his face.

Ryosuke wiped the tears with his sleeves. “I’m not crying.”

His mother smiled.

“Are you going to leave me, too?”

His mother’s eyes softened, “If Mother go, you’re not alone, my son. Father will always take care of you.”

Anger erupted in him. “Don’t lie to me, Mother! He doesn’t care anymore.”

“He does, Ryosuke. He does. He just has his own way.”

“I don’t care about him as long as I have you, Mother.”

“Ryosuke…”

He climbed the bed and crawled toward his mother. His mother cradled him in her arms.

“I don’t want you to leave me, Mother.”

“Ne, even if Mother has no longer with you, Mother will always look after you from afar.”

“Really?”

“Yes, do you remember what Mother told you about the star?”

Ryosuke nodded. “Are you going to be a star, too?”

His mother chuckled lightly. “What do you think?”

“If you’re going to be a star, you have to be the brightest, so that I can always find you, Mother.”

“Hai, my dear. Mother will be the brightest star.”

The moments stretched between them.

“Ryosuke, promise Mother that you’ll always support your father, will you Son?”

“Why?”

“Do it for Mother, will you?”

Ryosuke was reluctant, but eventually nodded, “Yes, Mother, I promise.”

The morning after, Lady Suzuki Umi passed away.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter